Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHOLLY DEPENDENT  (Read 13681 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: WHOLLY DEPENDENT
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »

TOD:

Opening night -- "Follies"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »

Ditto on having no plan what-so-evah to see another Nolan Batman film.  That last movie was brutal enough for me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »

Nolan Batman--wasn't he a reknown radio host during the 30's?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »

TOD:

Play:  The Life And Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby

Musical:  42nd Street

I wasn't there for Opening Night of 42nd Street (I assume you're talking about the 1980 Gower Champion show) but I was there that Friday evening. It opened (after only 6 previews) on Monday, August 25th. The next day I got in a car and began the move to New York City from Coon Rapids, MN. We arrived on Thursday morning and I settled in to my temporary digs at 14th Street and 9th Avenue. The next night (Friday, August 29th) we went to 42nd Street and after the show we went to the late, lamented Jimmy Ray's. It was a wonderful show and a great evening. A wonderful way to begin life in New York. Then, exactly one week after I arrived in New York, I became a real New Yorker because I got mugged at 11:15am on 58th Street and Broadway as I was walking up to Lincoln Center Library. I never told my mother because she would have insisted that I move back to Minnesota (not that I would have).

I've now been here almost 32 years (August 28, 1980) and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »

"...From the Landford Ballroom, high atop the beautiful Walt Whitman Hotel in downtown Camden, NJ, the NBC Blue Network brings you the RCA Victor Hour with your host, Nolan Batman..."
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »

TOD:

I wasn't there for Opening Night of 42nd Street (I assume you're talking about the 1980 Gower Champion show) but I was there that Friday evening. It opened (after only 6 previews) on Monday, August 25th. The next day I got in a car and began the move to New York City from Coon Rapids, MN. We arrived on Thursday morning and I settled in to my temporary digs at 14th Street and 9th Avenue. The next night (Friday, August 29th) we went to 42nd Street and after the show we went to the late, lamented Jimmy Ray's. It was a wonderful show and a great evening. A wonderful way to begin life in New York. Then, exactly one week after I arrived in New York, I became a real New Yorker because I got mugged at 11:15am on 58th Street and Broadway as I was walking up to Lincoln Center Library. I never told my mother because she would have insisted that I move back to Minnesota (not that I would have).

I've now been here almost 32 years (August 28, 1980) and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Aside from your mugging, it was probably a wonderful time to live in the city.

Does anyone get "mugged" anymore?  I haven't heard anyone use that term in ages.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »

Even with all the changes in New York, it was a pretty great time to get here.

I guess they call it being assaulted now.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »

TOD:

that was the first show I ever saw on Broadway, but by the time I saw it, Mary Cadorette had taken over the Peggy Sawyer role and Millicent Martin was the diva. Seeing 50 people tapping all at one time was a great intro to New York theater.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »

Had a Weetabix for breakfast but an hour later at the coffee shop I felt so hungry that I had to have a bacon roll.

I'll see your bacon roll and offer you a bacon cup.

Never heard of bacon cups before. Interesting idea.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2012, 11:25:21 AM »

Guess I'll go get something to eat soon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »

Thanks for sharing that story DR BEN.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »

I thought Mr Sondheim's response to MR BK's email was very nice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »

And of course there is Frances Farmer's THE VISIT at Purdue University

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »

Time Warner has come and gone. My WiFi is working, and I have a DVR. How the fat hell does it work? Do I need a manual?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »

TOD:

I never told my mother because she would have insisted that I move back to Minnesota (not that I would have).

There are some things parent's are better off not knowing.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »

TOD:

Does anyone get "mugged" anymore?  I haven't heard anyone use that term in ages.

It is the word I hear used the most.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »

I thought Mr Sondheim's response to MR BK's email was very nice.

I did too.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »

TOD:

A college friend of mine who's now a wardrobe mistress and dresser on Broadway was raped by a fabric store owner in her first year in Manhattan. She didn't tell her parents either.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »

One last thing, I just want to thank DR George again for doing the DVD's of the ACS for me.  I really do appreciate it. 

You're welcome!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »

Okay, so what I have so far is:

1776:  Ben, Elmore, Vixmom

My Fair Lady (audio only):  ChasSmith, Elmore, John G., Ron

Show Boat (1929):  John G.

Show Boat (1951):  John G.

Tony Awards:  ??

I know at least a couple of people wanted the Tony Awards, so let me know if you still want it.

Again, I'm sorry that I goobered.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »

I've been sending large files using DropBox and have great success.

Is it just www.dropbox.com?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

Back from a sandwich and no fries or onion rings and picking up no packages.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:39 PM »

It looks like the excellent vibes and xylophones for the transfer of One More Kiss may be working, so keep 'em coming strong.

John G.

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »

Donald Sobol, who wrote the Encyclopedia Brown series, has died.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »

DR TCB I believe you have sent your cold weather down to us.

Good.  It is supposed to be 74 today, but it is already 70, so it may go higher.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ChasSmith

« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »

VIBES and XYLOPHONES for "One More Kiss"!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »

From Bruce:

Had an e-mail response from you-know-who.  He did not recognize me, apparently - he knew I was there but was confused because it was such a big group.  He was waiting for someone to call him Steve so he'd know.  He apologized, so all is well.

I'm glad the response was friendly.  I'm guessing this has happened with other people & is an issue with him. 
He's in his 80s. Who knows what his eyesight is like. And by his own confession, if he were even sober.

:o :o  Steve drinks?    :o :o
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

John G.

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »

The wonderful Kitty Wells has also died. Here's a great video of her with k.d. lang, Brenda Lee and Loretta Lynn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqai5YZtx1Q
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »

VIBES and XYLOPHONES for "One More Kiss"!
Many more vibes.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »

From Bruce:

Had an e-mail response from you-know-who.  He did not recognize me, apparently - he knew I was there but was confused because it was such a big group.  He was waiting for someone to call him Steve so he'd know.  He apologized, so all is well.

I'm glad the response was friendly.  I'm guessing this has happened with other people & is an issue with him. 
He's in his 80s. Who knows what his eyesight is like. And by his own confession, if he were even sober.

:o :o  Steve drinks?    :o :o
He's talked about how he likes it that it releases inhibitions and he jokes about it in the "God" song in "Sondheim on Sondheim."
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up