Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A FERVENT WISH  (Read 26391 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A FERVENT WISH
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2004, 03:57:36 PM »

Oh, the role in Shape of Things is terrific, no question.  But so is the role in Blue Surge.

Jennifer

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2004, 03:57:36 PM »

Re: gas BBQs

Well there are coals.  It's just gas that lights them, right?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2004, 04:00:28 PM »

Good news on the play, BK. Good vibes on all the work you have to do. ~~~~~~~~~~

I don't like horror movies (big surprise).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2004, 04:24:18 PM »

Re: gas BBQs

Well there are coals.  It's just gas that lights them, right?

Lava rocks or some man-made lava-rock-like composite that holds heat very well.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2004, 04:42:59 PM »

I saw Target Earth at a sneak preview at the Baldwin Theater.  When the robot made its first appearance I went running up the aisle and right out of the theater, losing one of my thongs (the shoe, not the underwear) in the ivy in front of the theater.  We never found it.

Had it been the underwear, there would now be a clear psychological explanation as to why you have such a deep and abiding hatred for them as an adult.
BTW -  the thought of little boy bk in thongs (the underwear) will be my source of amusement/horror for the next 24 hours.

Panni

« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2004, 04:43:55 PM »

And CONGRATS on getting the second backup! I love happy endings.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2004, 05:00:39 PM »

Lava rocks or some man-made lava-rock-like composite that holds heat very well.

Some of the best gas grills (The Webber Genesis series being my favorite) have no lava rocks or composite fufu.

From Amazon:

Three long-lasting, 36,000 BTU stainless-steel burners --each with its own temperature control--cook countless meals evenly and efficiently. In place of the lava rock, pumice stone, or flat metal plates found in most gas grills, Weber grills include the company's patented Flavorizer bars, which do not retain dripped fats. Instead, juices sizzle and smoke when they hit the Flavorizers, eliminating potentially disastrous flare-ups while imparting a delicious smoky flavor to food.

der you kill it, you grill it , I'll eat it Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Emily

« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2004, 05:29:51 PM »

Where on Earth are those Canadian-BBQ persons doing their so-called "real barbecue" where an "extreme" winter daytime temperature is -17 celcius?  Vancouver?  sheesh... they may be bbq pros - but they're also weather wimps :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2004, 05:34:45 PM »

In more fun news, our theater just told us that despite what they'd said earlier in the week, we now cannot push our opening one week.  So, we now have three weeks to get this thing together (and a week of tech).  Hopefully I'll get good actors who can and will work hard.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2004, 05:36:03 PM »

DR Der Brucer, not sure where in Canada they do true BBQing.  But I've never heard of anyone doing it here.  To everyone here BBQing is what you call GRILLING. :)

I guess you'll just have to get out of the city and explore the wonders of your nation:

Calgary:

BBQ on the Bow
Festival   2004
Calgary's Premiere End of Summer Festival

BBQ COMPETITION:
It's all in the technique. Talented teams of chefs from Canada and the U.S. will vie for the title of "Alberta Champion". Who can cook the best ribs, pork butt, brisket or poultry over slow burning wood or charcoal? Our judges will put their taste buds to the test.

BC

Canadian National BBQ Championships: July 30 - August 1, 2004

The 3rd Annual Canadian BBQ Championships will take place at Dusty's Bar & BBQ, July 30 - August 1, 2004.

Last year's competition attracted more than 1500 spectators for a weekend jam-packed with live entertainment, all night cooking, fabulous food, sunshine, kids activities and more. We expect this year to be the best contest we have ever had with as many as 50 teams for three days of cooking, socializing and celebrating.

This competition is the highlight of the Northwest's competitive circuit, and a qualifier event for the American Royal World Championships in Kansas City as well as the Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ event in Lynchburg, Tennessee.  This year the Grand Champion from the Canadian Championships will be flying to Jamaica to relax at an all inclusive resort in Montego Bay, and will represent Canada at the Jamaican BBQ competition!

Ontario

Name: BBQ-Bob's
Address: 201 Rabbit Lake Road
City: Kenora
State: Ontario

Comments

If your ever in Kenora, Canada for the fishing you have to stop at this place. Located in an old log cabin on the shore of Rabbit Lake. this place rocks in the summer they have an outdoor deck and beach volleyball. they had excellant BBQ Beef Ribs, Pork Ribs, Chicken and some of the best chicken wings ever, they claim to sell a quarter million wings a year! and have the hottest suicide sauce I have ever tasted. Good atmosphere and excellant service.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2004, 05:55:05 PM »

Where on Earth are those Canadian-BBQ persons doing their so-called "real barbecue" where an "extreme" winter daytime temperature is -17 celcius?  Vancouver?  sheesh... they may be bbq pros - but they're also weather wimps :D

Your Canadian BBQ super-star cooks in Whistler BC.

Pigue News

Get Stuffed - Pit mister

Paul Street and the sweet mysteries of barbecue

"Barbecue is the most American of foods; to hell with apple pie. If Congress decided to declare a national dish, barbecue should win by acclamation."– Dotty Griffith, Celebrating BarbecueBy Glenda Bartosh

There are those who ski. There are those who golf. And, in America, there are those who barbecue.

When Paul Street toyed with the notion of converting Dusty’s to a barbecue nirvana some five or six years ago, he had no idea that he’d be swept up whole hog, so to speak, into the cultish Budweiser-annointed world of competitive barbecuing.And he certainly never pictured himself – bona fide Canuck and mere mortal immersed in food and beverage management for Whistler-Blackcomb – in a park on the banks of the Mississippi River in sultry Memphis, Tennessee, grinning from ear to ear with his teammates after being declared overall grand champions (plus masters in the hog category), beating out some 230-odd teams in the 24-hour barbecue marathon known alternatively as the "Superbowl of Swine" or the great Memphis in May World Champ BBQ.

Take your pick.But once Paul started researching the notion of bringing gen-u-ine BBQ to Whistler – something we Canadians often confuse with mere grilling – he quickly found out that barbecue is nothing without a competitive edge."If you’re talking to a barbecuer, if you can’t go out and cook with these guys, who are you?" Paul points out. "There’s an amazing lack of restaurateurs out there willing to put it all on the line because they are going to get beat. A restaurateur who’s going to beat a seasoned competitor? It’s not going to happen."

der Brucer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2004, 06:08:03 PM »

It is my turn this evening to sojourn to the historic Pasadena Playhouse for a performance of 110 in the Shade.  As always, I shall check in upon my return.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Robin

« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2004, 06:48:03 PM »

I just finished watching the first two episodes of Lost in Space and the Wonder Woman pilot movie on deeveedee.  I liked the first half of the first season of Lost in Space, but when Dr. Smith turned into a wussburger, it got bad really fast.  Likewise, once they took the Wonder Woman series out of WWII, it jumped the shark, as the kids say these days.  

But they both had such promising beginnings.  Heck, Cloris Leachman played Wonder Woman's mom, and Kenneth Mars was playing a Nazi (shades of Franz Liebkin!)...how cool is that?

The Robot was actually kinda scary at first, and Dr. Smith was some kinda Judo expert and a Commie spy or something!  That's pretty cool, too.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2004, 07:11:50 PM »

What, no vibes?  Skammen.  How can we get our rights without the potent HHW vibes and xylophones?
I've been at work, just got home, and am still trying to catch my breath.

[size=20]
Vibe
Xylophone
Timpani
and whatever those damn things are that look like a xylophone only they're smaller and girls carry them in marching bands and they make a tinkley sound.[/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2004, 07:21:11 PM »

...losing one of my thongs (the shoe, not the underwear) in the ivy in front of the theater....
Sorry, BK, but the parenthetical stuff makes this sentence lose it's effect.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2004, 07:23:35 PM »

I just finished watching the first two episodes of Lost in Space and the Wonder Woman pilot movie on deeveedee.  I liked the first half of the first season of Lost in Space, but when Dr. Smith turned into a wussburger, it got bad really fast.  Likewise, once they took the Wonder Woman series out of WWII, it jumped the shark, as the kids say these days.  

But they both had such promising beginnings.  Heck, Cloris Leachman played Wonder Woman's mom, and Kenneth Mars was playing a Nazi (shades of Franz Liebkin!)...how cool is that?

I quite agree with you that the first group of episodes of Lost in Space were quite good, but once they settled into the silliness they show was not worth watching. In my humble opinion that perhaps the first 7 episodes are the best of the series and some of the best dare I saw original sci fi tv.

The Robot was actually kinda scary at first, and Dr. Smith was some kinda Judo expert and a Commie spy or something!  That's pretty cool, too.  
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2004, 07:31:43 PM »

I'm going out to get some ice cream -- then more writing.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2004, 07:33:35 PM »

I don't claim to know anything about cooking, but I don't see how one can barbecue over gas.  Isn't the idea is that the smoke from the fire adds to the flavor?  I've done charcoal, mesquite, etc.  But please tell me: If it's gas, is it still BarBQ?
Noel, you're confusing BarBQ with grilling.  BarBQ requires slow cooking, over wood.  It requires smoking the meat.

Grilling, on the other hand, can be done over either a wood flame or gas.  Grilling is a comparatively rapid cooking method.

Jack McDavid knows about BarBQ.  Bobby Flay only knows grilling.  (OK, McDavid can grill, too, but even then he prefers a wood flame over gas.  Next time you're in Philly, check his food out.  Yummilicious.  Jack's Firehouse is pricy, but the Down Home Diner at the Reading Terminal Market is easy on the budget, and filled with great stuff on the menu.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2004, 07:35:54 PM »

Time to get dinner on the table.  I was thinking Tamale Pie, but I don't know how to make one yet.  Instead, I'm going to try for a Mexican-flavored Salisbury Steak.  Sort of a Salisburrito, I guess.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2004, 07:37:24 PM »

Meanwhile, can someone please try to write a lyric (to a South Park melody) explaining once and for all the differences between BBQ and Grilling?

I've got the perfect title:

Flame Canada!

Jennifer

« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2004, 08:09:19 PM »

DR S. Woody, HERE GRILLING AND BARBEQUING ARE THE SAME THING.  Like I said, EVERYONE here refers to grilling as BBQing.  You must remember that there are different terms for such things in different areas.

I'm back from more fireworks.  And now I"m off to watch tv.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2004, 08:26:25 PM »

I have a small charcoal grill, but I have to really be in the mood to go to the trouble of lining the base with foil, putting in charcoal, lighting and keeping it burning , cleaning the grill top, etc. It's a lot of bother, and I usually don't go to the trouble. I do love the flavor, though.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2004, 08:30:35 PM »

I watched all three seasons of LOST IN SPACE during its original run, but the Dr. Smith character became so campy by the second season that the show was more comedy than space thriller.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »

That UNKNOWN MARX BROTHERS documentary was really very entertaining with rare footage like clips from the TV pilot the three brothers did in the early 1960s and solo TV appearances by Chico and Harpo on various shows. It was great to watch this footage again, and clips from YOU BET YOUR LIFE are always fun.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2004, 08:40:06 PM »

Mystery solved!  Thanks to the kind folks over at one of the Linda Ronstadt message boards, the three Jimmy Webb songs she performed last night - and throughout her current tour - were/are:

"Adios"
"I Keep It Hid"

and...

drumroll please....

"Do What You Gotta Do"

-But the order of the songs last night was "Adios", "Do What You Gotta Do" and then "I Keep It Hid"

WHEW!  Maybe I can get some sleep tonight! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2004, 09:03:58 PM »

And don't forget the delicacy I mentioned last year.....grilled Spam....grilled Spam....NOT Barbecued Spam....grilled with mustard brushed on it.  

Wow MB...Annette on the radio...that means another nickel for her!!

Haven't heard of BLUE SURGE....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2004, 09:32:51 PM »

Been reading Blue Surge, getting all sorts of ideas for set and lighting and how I can stage it fluidly.  Fun.  My set designer is reading it, but we may have to get someone else - she's feeling a bit bewitched, bothered and bewildered having designed one set, being told we can't do that play, then having read another play and then being told we can't do that one either (not that she designed anything for that).  I'd like her to stay on board but only if she has the right attitude and spirit.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2004, 09:58:29 PM »

DR S. Woody, HERE GRILLING AND BARBEQUING ARE THE SAME THING.  Like I said, EVERYONE here refers to grilling as BBQing.  You must remember that there are different terms for such things in different areas.
Ah, well.  What can we expect from people who still equate fine cooking with that sissy French stuff.

:o

The Cajuns were right to move south to Loo'siana!

:o   :o   :o

More seriously, I'm sorry you haven't had a chance to try real BarBQ.  Memphis style pulled pork, for example, which is literally that, pork that has been slow-cooked so tender that it can be pulled apart with forks and then layered into a sandwich and sauced or served on a plate.  Or Texas style, which usually means big, beefy ribs (the meat changes with the territory).

(On the other hand, the ice wines of Canada are magnificent, potent and sweet.  The stuff makes up for the fact that those north of the border talk funny.)

( ;D ;) ;D)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »

Raw Panic!!!   I decided to watch TARGET EARTH!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2004, 10:22:45 PM »

Isn't the robot terrifying?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up