Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A FERVENT WISH  (Read 26147 times)

MBarnum

Re:A FERVENT WISH
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2004, 07:57:55 AM »

I try to drink water all through the day. I understand it is quite important to get plenty of water each day and soft drinks, tea, and coffee do not count as water.

Since I got back into drinking coffee I have to be more vigilant about getting plenty of water as well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2004, 08:19:11 AM »

I have recently take to cooking saffron rice.  I use Basmati rice, which I adore, and saffron powder (a little pinch does the trick).  It's a nice change of pace, puts something yellow on the plate and complements both green vegetables and beans.

I, too, am glad to see the first half of 2004 expunged.  It puts us that much closer to elections!

And, it is my fervid wish that July, August and beyond continue to witness my feverish determination to simplify my life (organization-wise).  I've fervidly been going through things, tossing things, piling things up for giveaway...and yet, nothing seems to change.  I know that one day all will -- POOF! -- suddenly be simplified, but the process is ongoing.

I fervidly hope....

What?

F-e-r-v-e-n-t?

Damn!

Sigh.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:19:36 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2004, 08:23:06 AM »

Hmmmmmmm.....you can of course barbecue SPAM!  

But cheeseburgers on the grill are my favorite - served up with barbecued tomatoes!

MBARNUM mentioned THIS IS NOT A TEST - which is also one of my favorite obscure sci-fi movies.  I also like X-The MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES and DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS and TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE.

Allison did a movie called THE CRAWLING HAND, but she didn't have too much to do in it!

DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS is based on a play - and the man on the radio is always giving information just as it is needed.  Nyah (the DGFM) has a spaceship that looks like a teapot and a robot that looks like a refrigerator - and boy is she mean!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2004, 08:23:40 AM »

Strangers in paradise also seek answers to fervent prayers!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2004, 08:25:26 AM »

Ah, yes....that's true, JRand.

Although I find myself more often descended out of the commonplace into the rare.

Somewhere in space, I hang suspended....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2004, 08:29:29 AM »

Good Morning!

Whew!  I actually got up in time to make it to morning!  As it turned out, my mom and dad - and the dog - stayed up late last night.  After logging off and shutting down my laptop somewhere around 4:45AM, I headed upstairs and saw that my mom was still working on her computer getting menus ready for work.  (She's the food service director and dietitian for a nursing home.)  *And she left for work at 8:30!  And then shortly after I settled into bed, I heard my dad getting ready to leave for work...

Thanks for the Jimmy Webb and Billy Strayhorn research.  I did track down the rest of the Webb titles that Linda Ronstadt has recorded, but I didn't get to all the sound clips of them.  This concert is part of a mini-tour she's doing this summer, and all the dates are with orchestras.  After reading some posts on message boards, the song list has been the same, but I can't seem to find the complete song list.  Aargh! ;)  Maybe later today... or maybe not...

I also found out by reading some of the message boards, the Ms. Ronstadt has been doing the Michael Moore dedication of "Desperado" on some - if not all - of the previous dates of this tour in recent weeks.  *And that other cities received a second encore of "Heart Like A Wheel".  Some of the reactions by some of her "die-hard" fans have been interesting to read about.  Everything from, "I won't buy any more of her albums.  I won't go to anymore of her concerts" to "Too bad she did that.  I like that song, and now it won't mean the same to me" to "It was fun!".

OK.  I'm heading out to Starbucks (again)... And then it's time to call the "doctor"!  :D
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2004, 08:57:35 AM »

Good morning. For some reason I had that strange sleep/half sleep experience last night. Felt like I was awake most of the night -- although I know I wasn't. Oh - the white cat in the yard meowed in front of my door for a time. Then she decided to be pro-active and tried to jump in the window. (The screen stopped her.) The Wonderdog was quite petrified and squeezed up next to my legs in bed, never moving the whole night. I woke up extremely groggy, needless to say.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2004, 09:03:02 AM »

Good morning, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2004, 09:07:20 AM »

When I had a free membership to Costco, I bought a container of six packages of Vigo Saffron rice. Loved the stuff, of course, but it came in HUGE 1 pound packages, and though I could cook the whole package in a big pot I have, I'd get sick of it before I ate it all. I eventually figured out I could cook only a partial package, and now I happily eat saffron rice once or twice a month.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2004, 09:18:06 AM »

Recipes, you dear people, recipes.  And I don't think House on Haunted Hill qualifies as obscure, the key word to today's topic number two.

Mine: The Creeping Terror or as I like to think of it, Five Men in a Carpet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2004, 09:28:27 AM »

Another favorite: I Bury the Living, a really creepy movie with Richard Boone.  If you don't have the MGM/UA DVD, get it - it's full-frame, which it shouldn't be, but a pretty good transfer.  A few years ago they put out a Gerald Fried soundtrack compilation of scores, and I wrote the liner notes for I Bury the Living.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2004, 09:29:26 AM »

And might I ask, where in tarnation IS everyone?

And can anyone mention the other two CD soundtrack releases that I wrote liner notes for (outside of the albums I produced)?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2004, 09:30:40 AM »

Well, I don't guess I know any really obscure horror films, then. Not my favorite genre to start with and most of the ones I'd be familiar with would be in the same vein with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2004, 09:33:58 AM »

Speaking of cooking ribs on the BBQ, does anybody have any recipes for this?  I would love to try it as I LOVE ribs!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2004, 09:34:51 AM »

Well, MattH, there's a whole world of film genre that has opened up to you - take a chance on I Bury the Living, it's really good.  And several of those already mentioned are grand camp fun and funnier than most films that pass for comedies today.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2004, 09:35:56 AM »

Oh and Happy Canada Day to all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2004, 09:38:16 AM »

Is it raining in Canada, or is Canada Dry?  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2004, 09:38:39 AM »

Well, here's the recipe for the ribs I mentioned earlier.  If you did want to put them on grill, I'm guessing they would work fairly well over some "low coals".

From my own experience and experimenting:  I've cut back on the sugar to just over a 1/4 cup with no harm - just depends upon my sweet tooth level for the day.  The Sherry really does add a special zip to the recipe.  I also usually "mince" my garlic on my Micro-Plane, and do the same with some of the ginger.  But if you just want a hint of garlic and ginger, then leave the pieces of garlic and ginger smashed whole.  Oh, and a dash of sesame oil is a nice addition too.  If you want some "heat", a glop or two of "Rooster" sauce does the job.  And marinate overnight - in large Zip-loc bags - if not longer!

-And the original recipe is very good too!  ;)

CHINESE-HAWAIIAN "BARBECUED" RIBS
Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 5 hr (includes marinating)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup medium-dry Sherry
1 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 (1-inch) cube peeled fresh ginger, smashed
3 lb baby back pork ribs (3 racks; do not cut apart)

Stir together sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, Sherry, and salt in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Pour marinade into a roasting pan, then add garlic, ginger, and ribs, turning ribs to coat with marinade. Marinate, covered and chilled, turning occasionally, at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Line bottom of a broiler pan with foil, then arrange ribs, rounded sides up, on broiler rack, reserving marinade for basting (discard garlic and ginger). Roast in middle of oven, basting with marinade every 20 minutes (do not baste during last 10 minutes of cooking), until ribs are tender and glaze is well browned, about 1 3/4 hours. Discard any unused marinade.

Let racks stand 5 minutes, then cut into individual ribs.

Cooks' note:
• Ribs can marinate up to 1 day.

Makes 6 hors d'oeuvre servings.

*Or two really generous dinner portions. -JCS  

Gourmet
May 2003
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2004, 09:38:52 AM »

I love using the BBQ (a recent finding for me).

So how long do you BBQ tomatoes for?  And in slices?

Has anyone BBQed fruit?  I would also like to try this.

And I like black!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2004, 09:39:21 AM »

Now THAT'S a recipe that makes my mouth water (no mean feat).

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2004, 09:39:27 AM »

Barbecue delights: summer is the time to head for Costco and buy the Slab O' Salmon, a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil, parsley, scallion bath overnight. Then the whole slab goes on the barbecue on a large sheet of foil, skin side down. close the top and cook the sucker for about ten minutes, maybe a little more or less, depending on the thickness of said slab. Mmmmmmm. And plenty of fine leftovers for salads and sandwiches for a couple of days.

Scary movies? Don't really like 'em. They do upset me. "What is the law???" Oy.

It's lovely here in the woods. My bird neighbors are getting more and more used to me - they come for peanuts when I whistle each morning, and get very close to me. And one little red squirrel scampers all over me to get tasty treats. I love summer!
PennyO

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2004, 09:40:59 AM »

I don't really have any favorite BBQ recipes. I've never actually barbecued. I'm a very good BBQ GUEST, though. I compliment the food, clean up after myself and strive to be witty and charming.
In the last century, when I was married, my ex used to grill excellent salmon. That's the only thing I miss - the salmon. But I don't know how he did it.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »

Btw, there was a great interpretation of "Summertime" on Canadian Idol last night.  Theresa (who is my favorite) sang it.  Hopefully she will go through to the next round.

Right now we are doing the 4 weeks of 8. And last night was week 3.  I am not sure yet what I think.  But it's really hard to get the right Top Ten.

Emily

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2004, 09:42:23 AM »

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians and ex-pats (Panni and Michael Shayne - I hope you're flying the flag today!)

We are supposed to have a celebratory BBQ today but it's raining.  Darn.

My favourite food to have grilled are lamb chops... with garlic and rosemary.  To quote DR Joy: arglagalgalagalga :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2004, 09:42:30 AM »

I BURY THE LIVING is a disturbing film.  It made me scared to be in a car driving passed the cemetery!

Well I know I enjoy the notes on the Ronald Stein CD and the Ultimate Titanic CD....but you produced those...hmmmmmmmm

And what is the status on that Stein JD music cd?

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2004, 09:42:30 AM »

Oh and it's raining! :(

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2004, 09:45:39 AM »

I've grilled salmon twice now outside.  What I did was use tin foit.  I sprayed it (so the skin wouldn't stick).  And then I put the salmon it it.  I put some italian salad dressing, butter, spices, dill, lemon juice.  Then close up the foil. And put it on the BBQ for about 10 minutes.  It is quite delicious!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2004, 09:46:12 AM »

Ahhh..........I know....one of them....

AFTER THE FOX! Rycodisc of the Burt Bacharach score.  Hahahaha.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 09:46:31 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2004, 09:46:56 AM »

I saw Mr. Percepto Records at the Hollywood Collector's Show - all he said is "it's on the schedule".  I haven't done many liner notes outside of the albums I've done myself:  I did Michelle Pirret's album, the Gerald Fried I Bury the Living Notes, and two other soundtrack albums.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up