Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A FERVENT WISH  (Read 26155 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:A FERVENT WISH
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2004, 09:49:18 AM »

Once Upon a Time in China!!!   ;D

I didn't know there was such a CD!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2004, 09:50:51 AM »

Nope, I produced the Once Upon a Time in China CD.  These are on a totally different label than Varese or any other I worked for.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2004, 09:51:13 AM »

And they're both soundtracks by major composers.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2004, 09:51:55 AM »

AND A CANADIAN PAGE THREE DANCE!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2004, 09:55:01 AM »

Has anyone heard from Jane and keith??
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2004, 09:55:26 AM »

Not After the Fox, either?

Ben

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2004, 09:57:15 AM »

Here is a link for the trailer for Phantom of the Opera, due in movie theatres this Christmas. Nothing special about it, just a bunch of short, short clips speeding by w/underscoring. Certainly doesn't make me want to see it.

http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?%20_pgtyp=pdct&tab=trailers&mid=19465

Peter Scolari is replacing the wonderful Tony winning Dick Latessa as Edna Turnblad's husband in Hairspray beginning August 3rd. He's either leaving Sly Fox or Sly Fox will be closing by then.

ABC has announced they will re-run the Broderick/Chenowith Music Man over the 4th of July weekend. No wonder ABC is having ratings trouble!!!

It is rumored that Tim Curry will be playing the King in Spam-A-Lot.

And that, my friends, is your news from the Great White Way.

Not a fan of scary/horror whatever you want to call them movies. Also I don't eat barbeque much. Have no recipies or favorite bbq foods. Sorry.f May I still stay and play?

Panni

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2004, 09:59:51 AM »

Gee, three posts in the time it took me to put together the dance! I don't know too many (if any) obscure horror films. I looked up the genre on Google to see if there were any I had seen and forgotten and found a title I liked (but have not seen)... THE KILLER TONGUE (ORIGINAL TITLE:  LA LENGUA ASESINA).
Summary:
 After eating a chunk of meteorite of mysterious origin, Candy and her pack of poodles are transformed, she into a latex fetish queen with a great wig and a five foot long tongue that kills people and harangues her in the voice of Harvey Fierstein, the poodles into a set of color-coordinated drag queens. Meanwhile, Robert Englund runs around acting creepy, Candy's sweaty ex-con boyfriend and the nun who loves him cavort in the desert, and what's left of the meteorite either kills people, heals them, or makes them horny, depending on the circumstances.

I'd pay good money to see that one!

Panni

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2004, 10:02:19 AM »

Danise did a few days ago. She posted a brief message from Jane that they were well.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2004, 10:09:26 AM »

Even without viewing the trailer, nothing makes me want to see the movie version of POTO.

"Music Man" is having its second run on a dead night in the middle of the summer because they are contractually obligated to run it twice.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2004, 10:14:55 AM »

LOL...thanks, Ben.  Actually the trailer makes the movie look pretty good to me....fan of POTO that I am (I have my tickets for the November 14 matinee!).

MATTH I highly recommend both I BURY THE LIVING and DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS to take you away from high brow entertainment such as DRIVING MISS DAISY and THE MARX BROTHERS.

DRPANNI that movie sounds beyond scary!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:11:59 PM by JRand53 »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2004, 10:15:25 AM »

I believe they are due back home today.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2004, 10:15:40 AM »

Oh the movie within a movie in MATINEE called "Mant" is also a great example of the obscure sci fi flick.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2004, 10:19:31 AM »

Speaking of cooking ribs on the BBQ, does anybody have any recipes for this?  I would love to try it as I LOVE ribs!

Just do a search on any recipe site for BBQ ribs, and you'll find tons of recipes.  And tons of "allegiances".  There's Kansas City style, St. Louis style, Memphis style, North Carolina style, etc...

The main differences among the various styles:

The Meat - Pork or Beef.  -I actually prefer Beef ribs when I can get them - there's just more meat on the bone.  Pork is the main meat in the South, and Beef is the meat of choice in the Mid-West.

The Cut - This could be "simplified" down to the size and how the ribs are trimmed - the amount of meat-to-bone ratio.

Dry vs. Wet - Whether the ribs are "marinated" in a "dry" spice rub, or in a "BBQ" sauce.  Or both.  Whenever I go to The Rendezvous or Corky's in Memphis, I usually get 1/2 and 1/2.  -And their wet ribs are their cooked "dry" ribs coated with BBQ sauce during the final moments of cooking.

To Boil or Not To Boil - Some regions boil or steam their ribs before putting them on the grill, some don't.  This applies to "wet" recipes.

The one thing most regions have in common is "low and slow".  Put the ribs over low and indirect heat, for a good chunk of time.  It's the slow cooking that tenderizes the naturally meat - makes it "fall off the bone".

For "wet" recipes, the ribs are usually put on the grill for a long time before any sauce is applied, otherwise, the sauce ends up burning.  Although some people like the caramelization that sugar and/or honey based sauces provide.

And no matter how good the sauce and/or spice rub, if you're using "bad meat", then the final product will not be good no matter how much sauce you drown it in.  Don't skimp on quality.

Then there's the wood vs. charcoal issue...

So... If you'd like to cook some ribs this weekend, the easiest way to initiate yourself is to buy a slab or two of ribs - baby-back pork ribs are very user-friendly - and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.  *If you have a good butcher, have him prepare your slab directly for the grill.

Prepare your grill and wood/coals/charcoal, then once they are ready (covered with a white-gray ash), push them to one side of the grill.  *An aluminum foil tray can help with this.  Place your ribs on the grill - not over the coals.  And wait.  And watch.  Try to keep the temp of your grill between 275-325.  Add more coals as needed, and use a spray bottle filled with water to help tame the fire if needed.

Once you sense that the meat is cooked through and tender - anywhere from one hour on up, then apply a nice coating of the sauce to one side.  Wait a few minutes. Turn.  Apply a nice coating to the other side.  Wait a few minutes.  Turn.  Apply more sauce if you like.  Take off the grill, and let them sit for a few minutes to cool down just a touch, and ENJOY!  -And keep some extra sauce on the side for dipping!

If you'd like some more detailed instructions and recipes, FoodTV recently had their "Grilling and Chilling Week".  Here's the link to the page:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_sl_grilling/0,1972,FOOD_9872,00.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 10:21:41 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »

I love using the BBQ (a recent finding for me).

So how long do you BBQ tomatoes for?  And in slices?

Has anyone BBQed fruit?  I would also like to try this.

And I like black!

Tomatoes - Just brush them with the oil of your choice (olive, corn, canola, etc.) and place them on the grill - halves or whole or really thick slices.  Cook until desired doneness.  Low to medium heat works best since the water content is so high.  *Or just skewer some cherry tomatoes and plop them on the grill until they begin to burst.

Fruit - I like grilled peaches and grilled pineapple.  Some oil helps here too - to prevent them from sticking to the grill.  Although you can add some savory hints by adding rosemary or thyme to the oil.  Just plop them on the grill, and when they're done, take them off.  Again, watch the heat level since the sugars in the fruit can go from caramel to "black" very quickly.  *Oooh, and grilled pineapple with ginger ice cream is a killer combination!

*Oh, and I've recently grown fond of a dash or two of cinnamon on my steak while it is grilling.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2004, 10:29:25 AM »

Is it raining in Canada, or is Canada Dry?  

Did anyone else ever think that the guy from The Buckinghams who sang lead on "Kind of a Drag"  was actually singing "Canada Dry"?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2004, 10:37:41 AM »

Yes, dRJENNIFER...as DRJOSE wrote....thick tomato slices with a bit of corn oil....turn them often.....you will know when they are done....a bit of brown color on both sides, depends on your taste and the heat of your grill.  You don't want to cook ALL the water out of them.

And also...you can slightly grill your watermelon slices for a different flavor as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2004, 10:38:11 AM »

Not me DtM....although it makes me laugh to think about it.

I always liked the tv and magazine ads for Canada Dry...because they were adults at adult parties drinking and listening to sophisticated music and laughing and having an adult good time.  :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 10:39:01 AM by JRand53 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2004, 10:54:53 AM »

The only things that I barbecue are hamburgers and hot dogs.  That's it.  Pretty simple. ::)

As for horror movies, I don't think I've seen many obscure ones, but if I did, I can assure you that I do not remember what any of the titles are or what they're about.  I'm useless when it comes to things like that. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2004, 10:58:14 AM »

Robert Englund - Freddy from NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - in case anyone did not know, is the son of Cloris Leachman.

I don't think that's correct. She was married to a man by the name of Englund and has actor offspring with that surname - but as far as I know, Robert Englund is not one of them.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2004, 11:04:03 AM »

Robert Englund - Freddy from NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - in case anyone did not know, is the son of Cloris Leachman.
This is a case of people having the same last name, an understandable confusion.

According to Imdb, Cloris Leachman is "Mother of actors Adam Englund, Bryan Englund, George Englund Jr., Morgan Englund and actress Dinah Englund."

Robert Englund is the son of Kent and Janis McDonald.  His father was an aircraft engineer.  (The bio says his father "designed the U-2 spy plane," but none of those aircraft were ever designed by a single engineer.)

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2004, 11:06:36 AM »

You know I have yet to see DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS or I BURY THE LIVING even though both are out on numerous budget DVD sets! Actually I did see I BURY THE LIVING when I was a wee twig of a sprig but at that time I didn't like it much...perhaps as an adult I will appreciate it more.

I loved MATINEE!! Fun, fun movie!

And THE CREEPING TERROR...oh, my golly! It is one of my favorite Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes! But I first saw it when I was in 7th grade 'cause they showed it frequently on late night TV...love the dance scene in where everyone is twisting away not realizing they are all about to be devoured by the giant carpet monster!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2004, 11:09:34 AM »

There was a Gene Roddenberry TV movie for CBS during the 70s (I believe it was a pilot) that I remember liking a lot.  It had a Sleeper-like plot about a scientist who is frozen and then awakened hundreds of years in the future.  I don't remember much about it other than that the leading man wore a sexy body suit, there was a super-speed intercontinental subway, and that Mariete Hartley played a girl with two belly buttons.  For some reason, this vision of the future appealed to me at the time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2004, 11:11:03 AM »

I've never really tried BarBQ myself.  Grilling, that I've tried, but BarBQ is a slow-cooking method that is as much (if not more) smoking the meat as it is heating it to edible temperature.  It's a time-consuming process, and I rarely have that much time to spare.

The results can be mighty tasty.

Grilling, on the other hand, is best in it's simplicity.  Marinate the meat, heat up the grill, pop the meat on said heated grill and let it sit, maybe turning it once on the first side to get those fancy marks, then repeat on the other side.

My father used to be in charge of the Thanksgiving turkey every year, hoisting it on a rotisserie over the hot coals.  Very delish.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2004, 11:19:05 AM »

There was a Gene Roddenberry TV movie for CBS during the 70s (I believe it was a pilot) that I remember liking a lot.  It had a Sleeper-like plot about a scientist who is frozen and then awakened hundreds of years in the future.  I don't remember much about it other than that the leading man wore a sexy body suit, there was a super-speed intercontinental subway, and that Mariete Hartley played a girl with two belly buttons.  For some reason, this vision of the future appealed to me at the time.

Hmmm.  Mr. Washington Irving might have some dispute with you over the origin of the conceit.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2004, 11:22:40 AM »

You're thinking of Genesis II, which was indeed a pilot for a series that never came to be.  It starred Alex Cord as the man from our present who was reawakened in the future.  Mariette Hartley played the villian/love interest, presumably to be a recurring role, and Ted Cassidy played one of the good guys.

The outdoor city scenes were filmed at the University of California, Riverside.  It was a very pretty campus, at the time.

Roddenberry's second attempt to tell the story was titled Planet Earth, with John Saxon replacing Cord in the lead.  He wasn't nearly as good, in my opinion, and neither was the second pilot.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2004, 11:24:34 AM »

Given that it's the upcoming fourth, are we talking BBQ or just outdoor grilling?  If it's the latter, I have to say that Harlan Ellison claims The Lovely Wife, Julieanne, grilled him the best steak he's ever eaten.  It's the way he introduces her to his friends. "She makes the best steak I've ever eaten."  He raves about it at odd moments.  He's also absolutely right.  She has a great marinade which is very simple, but I've always been too lazy to find out exactly what's in it and how she mixes it, how long she lets it sit.  She also buys the meat (and the cut of meat has a lot to do with it -- it's not always the most expensive cut), and she does the grilling as well.  My part is merely starting the coals, occasionally holding the platter, and eating.

We're not big home BBQers. But I am a big BBQ fan. We go out for it. Usually to Dr. Hogly-Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ out on Sepulveda in VanNuys.  The best around and some of the best I've had anywhere.  Brisket you could slice with a fork and a dark brown sauce that is sweet, as opposed to tangy.  This is Texas BBQ, not southern.  I prefer Texas-style...though Southern ain't bad in a pinch.  I'm not a big ribs fan.  It's just too much work for too little meat.  Hogly-Wogly's also makes a great macaroni salad.

Though Hogly-Wogly's is the best, Larry Drake and I recently discovered a new place downtown called the Original Texas Barbecue King.  That gives it a run for its money.  It's at  867 W. Sunset.  When I've got a craving, but no energy, I just take a quick jaunt to Huston's in Hollywood on Cahuenga between Sunset and Hollywood Blvds, for a nice BBQ sandwich and a macaroni salad side.

Probably the best BBQ I ever had was a place on Lovers Lane in Dallas called simply THE RIB.  For eleven dollars and change (starting out...the price went up in later years), it was all-could-eat in rather fancy surroundings.  Leather-covered booths, the platters served to you by smooth waiters in red-livery.  There was brisket, ribs of various variety, hot links, chicken, pork.  Quite an array.  The waiter would always come by and graciously ask:  You gentlemens wants some more?".  We always did. Drake and I used to go when we were struggling actors.  The ritual when we got out in the parking lot was to flip a coin to see who had to drive home.  Once in the car, the belts were undone and  top pants button snapped open to accomodate extended belly girths.

My favourite low-budget horror films would have to be the Val Lewton stuff done at RKO.  Great exercises in atmosphere and what you imagined, as opposed to graphic stuff.

I recently picked up for a dollar at the 99 Cent store, a copy of THE LAST MAN ON EARTH with Vincent Price which I believe is an adaptation of I AM LEGEND and I remember it has being a pretty good low-budget horror, though I haven't seen it in years.

Jason, when you were in Lexington yesterday, did you eat lunch or dinner there?  If so, where?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:31:02 AM by Charles Pogue »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2004, 11:26:58 AM »

My dad barbecued (or grilled) some corn for me once, and I've had those Morningstar Farms patties grilled, but other than that, I have never truly experienced the marvel that is barbecuing.

I also don't know much from scary movies. I just can't handle scary things. The scariest book I've ever read was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and that just about gave me a heart attack. The only scary movie I've ever seen was The Birds, and that one is most definitely not obscure.

That doughnut last night sure was good. Now I want another one!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2004, 11:31:12 AM »

After the Fox is one of the two soundtrack releases that I did the notes for.  What's the other one?  Hint: Same label.

Me want barbecue!

Waiting to hear about the rights to SOMETHING.  We're hopeful that our second backup will come through first, as we're now very sold on that play.  Send both vibes and xylophones and maybe we'll hear something soonish rather than laterish.  Vibes and xylophones for our second backup play.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2004, 11:31:46 AM »

My problem with donuts is that I simply cannot stop at one.  I must have multiple donuts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up