Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I'D WALK A MILE FOR A CAMEL  (Read 14068 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: I'D WALK A MILE FOR A CAMEL
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »

Opening night went well.  Few "fixes" to do during vocal warm ups today.  Our Amneris is quite the air head.  Even with a black Egyptian wig, she is still blonde and feels like the show revolves around her.   Has trouble being aware of things around her, etc. Other than that, it was a great show.   
In other words, typecasting?

Congrats on a great opening night.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »

Page Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »

I feel as if I've just been punched in the stomach. Just learned that one of the interns for the board that I serve on was one of the victims at the movie theater shooting last night.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2012, 09:46:36 AM »

How awful, DR JohnG!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »

I feel as if I've just been punched in the stomach. Just learned that one of the interns for the board that I serve on was one of the victims at the movie theater shooting last night.

That's terrible news! I am so sorry to hear this.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »

Opening night went well.  Few "fixes" to do during vocal warm ups today.  Our Amneris is quite the air head.  Even with a black Egyptian wig, she is still blonde and feels like the show revolves around her.   Has trouble being aware of things around her, etc. Other than that, it was a great show.  

I do hope that as part of the educational process you are educating the cast on how much superior is Verdi's score to the opera that this musical kicks in the ass.

LOL - I wish there was time, Larry.  Although, they do know the opera does exist as there was a posting on our Facebook page from one of the kids of the Triumphant March from the opera.   Many were confused, but the young lady playing Aida set them straight.  How I wish there were time.

On that subject, I do plan to do a compare and contrast in the classroom at some point!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:55:56 AM by Matthew »

Matthew

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »

Oh wow, that's just the worst horrible ever.   Sorry for your loss.

Ben

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »

So sorry to hear that John.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »

Everybody read the new Filichia on Friday?

Matthew

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »

Don't judge me by this question.... but is there an English language recording of Verdi's Aida out there? 

Elmore?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »

Don't judge me by this question.... but is there an English language recording of Verdi's Aida out there? 

Elmore?

Yes, indeed, there is, DR Matthew, as part of the Opera In English series from the British label Chandos, with Dennis O'Neill and Jane Eaglen. It's available through Amazon. I'm not judging you at all. I think it's a great idea to interest your students.

Have you ever seen the old 1954 stop motion of the opera HANSEL & GRETEL, with Anna Russell as the voice of the Witch? It's also quite wonderful, but a little silly. It has its scary moments.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »

Elmore?
There should be. I don't know that it's been recorded, but I think the first time i saw it was in English.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »

Thanks for the notes, all. Jessica Ghawi had moved to Denver about a year ago after living here. Odd thing, according to the news reports, is that she had survived a shooting only a few weeks ago.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2012, 11:06:21 AM »

Yes, BK,  Filichia on Friday was great today. I really want to see "Dogfight."
― Voltaire

Matthew

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »

Elmore?

Yes, indeed, there is, DR Matthew, as part of the Opera In English series from the British label Chandos, with Dennis O'Neill and Jane Eaglen. It's available through Amazon. I'm not judging you at all. I think it's a great idea to interest your students.

Have you ever seen the old 1954 stop motion of the opera HANSEL & GRETEL, with Anna Russell as the voice of the Witch? It's also quite wonderful, but a little silly. It has its scary moments.

Thanks!!!  It's on iTunes.  Now in my library.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »

What kind of world are we living in?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »

I see dear reader Laura and her daughter are the latest Facebook obsessives.  Instead of posting here about what she might like for lunch, where people would actually find that interesting or amusing, now it's Facebook.  Note to Laura: More people are seeing your post here than there.  Fact.

Matthew

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »

What kind of world are we living in?

What kind of world do you want?  (Foo-Fighters lyric from the song "World")

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Miss Karen!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »

Well, Skip just sent me an email that he is in bad health, so there will be no moving furniture today. I will ponder my next plan of attack.

~~~Feel Better Vibes for Skip!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »

This bit of information from the shooting in Colorado bothers me: what fool takes a 3-month old baby to a midnight movie?

That's not a practice unique to Colorado. ::)

:P

George

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »

John, I'm so sorry!  That's horrible.

George

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »

And for something completely different:  'The Girl from Ipanema' turns 50!

:)

George

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »

Sadly, they neglect to mention, "The Boy From...".

;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »

Rainy, rainy morning here in Conshocken.

I think it's nice that Dunkin Donuts is hiring hearing-challenged individuals.  True, my clearly stated order for a large black coffee and two chocolate cake donuts resulted in a coffee with cream and sugar and two chocolate frosted donuts, but that is besides the point, correct?

First thing I had to learn whn I moved to the East  Coast was that a "regular" coffee meant with cream and sugar.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »

This bit of information from the shooting in Colorado bothers me: what fool takes a 3-month old baby to a midnight movie?

Exactly!  That was my first one of my first questions.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

DR Miss Karen!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »

I had the same thought. Yet an ignorant mother who needs some air conditioning or just a change of scenery  might. I had a friend who did likewise, but that was 30 years ago, when 20-year-olds had all the answers. Apparently they still do.

Some movies it might be okay to take a three month old; but this movie is full of explosions and car crashes.  It isn't like the child will sleep thru this movie.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »

I had the same thought. Yet an ignorant mother who needs some air conditioning or just a change of scenery  might. I had a friend who did likewise, but that was 30 years ago, when 20-year-olds had all the answers. Apparently they still do.

There were apparently a  lot of kids there, but why would any theatre management allow a 3-month old baby into a movie theatre? I doubt it qulifies as a Child so they're most likely not making money on a seat, they know if the kid starts crying it will disturb everyone else, so WTF?

Whatever happened to the "crying rooms" that they had in all the theaters when I was kid?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »

Yes, I know, most E and T. Hey, blame it on the very thing that brought me to this here site -- no, not DR ELmo, but theatre. Long story and I'll be back to explain when I have more time -- but the theatre beckons again this morning. The little kids' closing program for their workshop at noon, so need to go set out the set stuff that Cason created for them, and I need to finish the chrome paint on the car for the teen's summer stock of Grease. A thespian's work is never done...

Is that because I am a thespian?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up