Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAN ON LINCOLN'S NOSE  (Read 8689 times)

Laura

Re: THE MAN ON LINCOLN'S NOSE
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »

Miss Karen, I thought I missed my chance to wish you a Happy Birthday.

So..... Happy Birthday!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Miss Karen

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »

It looks like I'm getting close to the 5,000 post mark (a couple of more mini-frenzy multi-postings should do the trick, although with my E and T behavior that may take a few years...). Do we still get a HHW toaster or HHW pocket watch or HHW pocket protector or HHW pen and pencil set? Or has the state of the current economy made HHW gifts a thing of the past?

Miss Karen

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »

Miss Karen, I thought I missed my chance to wish you a Happy Birthday.

So..... Happy Birthday!

Oh, it's never too late to wish folks a Happy BD, DR Laura -- so thank you. And we got your rain last night -- maybe the monsoon gods will send a little down The Hill to your neck of the woods today.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »

Hello, goodbye

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 09:19:30 AM »

Everyone but me and the dogs are awake.  Our guest from PA is still sleeping, the DP is still sleeping.  I went and got some Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast.  Anyhow, it's going to be a long weekend.  Things are shaping up for the party.  Speaking of which, if they DP and the DC (Dear Cousin in internet speak) plan on sleeping this late tomorrow, I'm screwed (excuse the language).  I need them up and out of the house ASAP.  The DC is aware of this and is suppose to light a fire under the DP to get them going in the morning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »

This laundry today has taken forever. On the positive side, the keys are made, and I am ready for Tuesday's move.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »

Ready two days early!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »

Good late morning, all.

Back from the book sale, which turned out to be the least rewarding of any I've been to at this particular venue over the past 10-15 years.  Two reasons for this, and the first applies to every book sale and every secondhand book shop you ever go to:  no two visits are ever alike.  That's a fact of life, and probably as it should be.

But there was much less of the better stuff in evidence this year.  This one was devoid of decent editions of books (just one example:  Heritage Press, which I happen to like; EVERY book sale and book shop has some, yet nothing at all today -- not one -- which makes no sense at all).  DVDs and CDs were just about total crap.  Performing arts books, almost nothing.  I bought only one book, for $2:  "OK - The Story of Oklahoma" by Max Wilk, with which I am completely unfamiliar so I hope it's decent.  Oddly enough, one of the two CDs I picked up was the OBC of same, and the OBC of "Mame" -- both with bonus tracks that will be new to these ears.

I know that these libraries hold back, and sell through more lucrative channels, some of the cream of the crop that's donated to them.  Either that or the volunteer workers are permitted to skim a lot right off the top.  (Not that I wouldn't be pleased to do the same in their position.)  But I've donated plenty of desirable things myself that never saw the light of day at the sale.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:59:50 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »

Loved the notes about the NORTH BY NORTHWEST script.  One of my favorite films -- and I wish I had something more brilliant than that to say about it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »

Good late morning, all.

Back from the book sale, which turned out to be the least rewarding of any I've been to at this particular venue over the past 10-15 years.  Two reasons for this, and the first applies to every book sale and every secondhand book shop you ever go to:  no two visits are ever alike.  That's a fact of life, and probably as it should be.

But there was much less of the better stuff in evidence this year.  This one was devoid of decent editions of books (just one example:  Heritage Press, which I happen to like; EVERY book sale and book shop has some, yet nothing at all today -- not one -- which makes no sense at all).  DVDs and CDs were just about total crap.  Performing arts books, almost nothing.  I bought only one book, for $2:  "OK - The Story of Oklahoma" by Max Wilk, with which I am completely unfamiliar so I hope it's decent.  Oddly enough, one of the two CDs I picked up was the OBC of same, and the OBC of "Mame" -- both with bonus tracks that will be new to these ears.

I know that these libraries hold back, and sell through more lucrative channels, some of the cream of the crop that's donated to them.  Either that or the volunteer workers are permitted to skim a lot right off the top.  (Not that I wouldn't be pleased to do the same in their position.)  But I've donated plenty of desirable things myself that never saw the light of day at the sale.

I love the Heritage editions! When I moved to NYC, I tossed a whole lot of them. I don't rememebr now exactly what I did with them.

So, the laundry is finished, and someone in the building is cooking meat with onion, and it smells fantstic! It brought to mind my mother's stuffed peppers, meatloaf, and spaghetti sauce, and I am really hungry now.

And thinking of my mother reminds me that I need to find a new executor and redo my will ASAP. I'm not sure I want the false friend to be near my estate.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:26:30 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »

Re: NORTH BY NORTHWEST

With the possible exception of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (remake), this is my favorite Hitchcock movie.

The screenplay is terrific, and I've often used it as a example of perfect story structure in writing classes that I've taught.

However, I do think that the script has one major (non-fatal) flaw.

At the end of the first act, right after the murder in the United Nations building, the scene cuts to Washington where Leo G. Carroll explains virtually the entire plot of the movie to the audience. 

Not only does this stop the forward action of the story, but it answers too many of the audience's questions too soon.

I know that this is a classic and I really do love the movie, but I would have preferred learning this information along with Cary Grant, perhaps later in the film when he encounters Carroll at Mount Rushmore.

A basic rule of good screenwriting: Delay exposition as long as possible.

I don't find that a flaw at all and without it I think the audience would become irritated and delaying it till the point you say would interrupt there in a much more disruptive fashion.  By giving us the information early Hitchcock sticks to his usual dictum - delaying equals surprise, giving it early equals suspense.  He does the same thing in Vertigo, where he gives away the twist thirty minutes before the end of the film.

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »

It's Saturday, and we're all here!
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »

I managed to actually get to sleep at one and I managed to sleep until ten-thirty.  Yay!  I will indeed be supping with the Wechters tonight.  David finished my book and wrote me the most beautiful and touching e-mail.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »

With the possible exception of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (remake), this is my favorite Hitchcock movie.

The screenplay is terrific, and I've often used it as a example of perfect story structure in writing classes that I've taught.

At the end of the first act, right after the murder in the United Nations building, the scene cuts to Washington where Leo G. Carroll explains virtually the entire plot of the movie to the audience. 

Not only does this stop the forward action of the story, but it answers too many of the audience's questions too soon.

I know that this is a classic and I really do love the movie, but I would have preferred learning this information along with Cary Grant, perhaps later in the film when he encounters Carroll at Mount Rushmore.

I don't find that a flaw at all and without it I think the audience would become irritated and delaying it till the point you say would interrupt there in a much more disruptive fashion.  By giving us the information early Hitchcock sticks to his usual dictum - delaying equals surprise, giving it early equals suspense.  He does the same thing in Vertigo, where he gives away the twist thirty minutes before the end of the film.

It works much better in VERTIGO...primarily because you are half expecting some sort of twist...and it comes  much later in the movie.

In NBNW, the revelation comes much too early.  "Twists" work much better toward the end of a film.

But, as I said, I still love the movie.
You can dream…or you can do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »

Whew!  I am amazed at how fast my energy goes away.  I guess I just cant' believe that I really am hurt and will need time to heal

FJL

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »

Whew!  I am amazed at how fast my energy goes away.  I guess I just cant' believe that I really am hurt and will need time to heal

Having had to help those close to me, I know the only thing that brings any comfort is making sure you're taking all steps to get the best care possible as quickly as possible.  and it sounds like you're doing that.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »

Getting ready to head down for the closing night of THE CURIOUS SAVAGE. 
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »

Closing Night VIBES for DR Jrand61.

ChasSmith

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »

DR Elmore, I gave away a couple of large boxes of Heritage editions last year, all in fabulous condition but stuff I'd accepted by then that I would never EVER get close to sitting down and reading.  (For a few years I had been collecting accumulating hoarding every one I found, pretty much regardless of what it was.)  Still have lots of others -- but only the keepers to be enjoyed and treasured.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »

Hmm, I went to the other end of the house to watch Season 1, Disc 4 of Boardwalk Empire and fell asleep during the special features.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2012, 01:23:32 PM »

Watched WHOEVER SLEW AUNTIE ROO? last night.  Admittedly I was by then getting sleepy and probably wasn't appreciating it, but on first blush I wasn't nearly as taken with it as with WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? the night before.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:28:50 PM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2012, 01:47:06 PM »

Watched WHOEVER SLEW AUNTIE ROO? last night.  Admittedly I was by then getting sleepy and probably wasn't appreciating it, but on first blush I wasn't nearly as taken with it as with WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? the night before.

It's HANSEL AND GRETEL, sort of. I like it, but i'm fascinated by fairy tale adaptations. My memory of WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN is how nice it was to see Chester from GUNSMOKE without the limp.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »

It works much better in VERTIGO...primarily because you are half expecting some sort of twist...and it comes  much later in the movie.

In NBNW, the revelation comes much too early.  "Twists" work much better toward the end of a film.

But, as I said, I still love the movie.

But North by Northwest is not a twist - that's the whole point.  It's an explanation of the odd events up to that point and I think that it's in the perfect place for its storytelling.  We already know that Grant is not Kaplan - we just don't know the why of what's happening.  Knowing the why makes what follows much more fun.  I think Mr. Lehman and Mr. Hitchcock knew exactly what they were doing.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »

No, I didn't come home at noon.  They were kind enough to call me first thing in the morning so I could change it. 

That's a relief.  Good luck getting the appointment rescheduled at your convenience.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »

Back from several errands and whatnot - picked up the Blu-rays of Junior High School and a little CDR of a potential upcoming Kritzerland project.  Since it's of the Golden Age and is by a brilliant composer for a much-beloved film I have a tough decision to make because the sound is occasionally not all you'd want it to be.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »

I'm still amazed at how tired I am after just a little trip to the grocery store.

Aside from the sore muscles & emotional trauma, in my personal experience bruised ribs such the air out of you which in turn is exhausting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Page two?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

We can't possibly be on page two, can we?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »

I guess we can.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »

And are.