Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SHORT AND SWEET  (Read 11960 times)

ChasSmith

Re: SHORT AND SWEET
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »

FOUR (4)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:56 AM »

I just got off the phone with 85 year-old Vincent Youmans II, son of the composer. I spent the morning tracking down the family via Cast Recording List and the Library of Congress. I have two library boxes of original NO NO NANETTE materials that John McGlinn "borrowed" and refused to return nearly 30 years ago. I came across the storage boxes yesterday while sorting through the moved materials and I want to return them to the family in the next couple of weeks, as soon as the office is more set up.

I'm sure your kindness will be appreciated.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And it sooooooo nice not to have to wake up before 7:00am today.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

I bet.  I stayed in bed reading until close to 9:00.  It was a treat I haven't had time for in a long while.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »

My first 24 hours back in NYC were quite jam-packed.

As soon I got back to the apartment, I went ahead and got things set up, and then took my bike out for a spin. I biked through Central Park, down to Columbus Circle to my mail place. The weather was perfect for a ride through The Park. Then I decided to going ahead and bike down to City Bakery for a late lunch.

When I had checked various bike route sites and apps, they all posted alternate routes that avoided the designated bike lane on Broadway through midtown. Well... I really should have followed that "advice". Yes, there are bike lines through Times Square and Herald Square and Madison Square. But there are also a lot of tourists, hot god vendors and taxi cab drivers trying to pick up fares. Alas, I did end up taking a little spill just a few blocks from my destination, but I'm fine, the bike is fine and I'm so glad I had my helmet and biking gloves on. I did strain my right hand, but nothing's broken or even scraped. Nothing some ibuprofen, ice and an ACE bandage can't help... And has helped.

After my lunch at City Bakery, I went ahead and biked back uptown via 1st Avenue... Then took a nice nap. A nice long nap.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »

And after my nap, I got ready to head to the St. James Theatre to see Bring It On.

I had seen Bring It On last Fall when it opened at the The Ahmanson. I liked it then, and I liked it last night. It's gone through a few changes - and new opening sequence and three new songs - but the core of the show is still there. Is is great "Theatre"? No. Is it a fun evening of entertainment that manages to pass on a very positive message about friendship and "not judging a book by its cover"? Yes.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »

And after my nap, I got ready to head to the St. James Theatre to see Bring It On.

I had seen Bring It On last Fall when it opened at the The Ahmanson. I liked it then, and I liked it last night. It's gone through a few changes - and new opening sequence and three new songs - but the core of the show is still there. Is is great "Theatre"? No. Is it a fun evening of entertainment that manages to pass on a very positive message about friendship and "not judging a book by its cover"? Yes.
Is there dancing or all gymnastics?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

break-a-leg vibes for matthew!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:25 AM »

To finish up my day, my friend, Yosh, and I went to Casellula for some cheese, miso mustard pickles, watermelon salad, and a "Springtime" crostini (provolone, fresh pea puree, roasted tomatoes and chorizo). YUM! And on our walk back up 9th Avenue, we happened to run into Christian Borle, Michael Urie and Top Chef Desserts contestant, Zac Young. -Not all at once, but we did have a nice catch up session with Zac and he invited us to drop by his new place of employment (restaurant) for dinner and dessert(s). :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:49:12 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »

Is there dancing or all gymnastics?

Bring It On is about competitive cheerleading - which involves a lot of gymnastics. The whole deck is basically one big tumbling mat. However, there's some pretty inventive hip-hop dancing, as well as a great sequence involving a dancing Irish Leprechaun mascot.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

I am horrified to imagine it DR JOSE......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »

Your fall off your bicycle in Times Square....I mean.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »

To finish up my day, my friend, Yosh, and I went to Casellula for some cheese, miso mustard pickles, watermelon salad, and a "Springtime" crostini (provolone, fresh pea puree, roasted tomatoes and chorizo). YUM! And on our walk back up 9th Avenue, we happened to run into Christian Borle, Michael Urie and Top Chef Desserts contestant, Zac Young. -Not all at once, but we did have a nice catch up session with Zac and he invited us to drop by his new place of employment (restaurant) for dinner and dessert(s). :)
And all I had last night was Pig Face Pie, a pizza made with house-cured sausage, radishes and arugula.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »

Your fall off your bicycle in Times Square....I mean.

;)

Well...

It really was quite interesting. I was trying to avoid getting hit by a cab, the person trying to hail the cab was trying to avoid getting hit by me... I applied my brakes... and... Well... I was not going that fast since I had just gone through a crowded intersection, but there was still enough momentum to cause me to "slide" slowly over the front of my bike. At least I think that's what happened. Or maybe it just felt like I was slow-mo. Some people helped me up, and I was more in shock about it than anything else. And I really was kind of surprised that I didn't scrape up my arms, knees or legs. And relieved too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »

And, yes, we're expecting some "Severe Weather" here in NYC in a couple of hours. Of course, the storms are due to hit when i have to head out for rehearsal later.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »

~~~~~CAFFEINATED VIBES FOR DR VIXMOM~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »

OK.. I need to take a break from typing.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

Love this quote from the Harvey Evans interview: Good choreography tells a story, bad choreography is a series of back handsprings.

From what I've seen, the latter describes NEWSIES.

Also Step Up Revolution, the new movie opening tomorrow. From what I've seen, it's all gymnastics. Don't get me wrong, I love gymnastics, but the kind of crap they're doing in the movie is not "dancing" as I define it. The groupies can define it any way they want but for me it's just a bunch of over-caffeinated gyrations that don't begin to approach dance.

Exactly!  Last night after "Titus" rehearsal, I watched (fast-forwarded through, actually) Tuesday's 2-hour "America's Got Talent" performance show.  I haven't watched last night's elimination round, yet.  Anyway, there was a troup of girl "dancers" and it seems that all they did was balancing on their hands (and each other) and back flips.  They were good, but all I kept thinking about during their whole number was that that's not dancing. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »

Speaking of Turkey Lurkey Time, I find it hard to believe that a better version of the Tony Awards segment has yet to be posted on YouTube.  I love to watch the existing clip from time to time but its so frustrating at the same time.  I hope that there is a clear copy existing somewhere that will release for viewing someday...
There's a version from the Ed Sullivan show that's of better quality, but you don't get Donna, Margo or Bayork dancing it.

I also like the version that's in the movie Camp.

My favorite (non-original cast) performance is THIS version (I've posted it before), danced by three men (one who is VERY tall) who are lip-synching to the original recording.  It's great!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »

I just got off the phone with 85 year-old Vincent Youmans II, son of the composer. I spent the morning tracking down the family via Cast Recording List and the Library of Congress. I have two library boxes of original NO NO NANETTE materials that John McGlinn "borrowed" and refused to return nearly 30 years ago. I came across the storage boxes yesterday while sorting through the moved materials and I want to return them to the family in the next couple of weeks, as soon as the office is more set up.

Do the scores include the dual piano parts from the revival?? 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:02 PM »

Quote from: Jane on July 25, 2012, 02:59:58 PM
I now have four books to read from the library.  It seems to be feast or famine with them.

And I have four books on CD from the library  in at the same time. I'm hoping to finish "The Book Thief" first, which is a fine young adult novel. Anybody read it?

I wanted to read it, but someone stole my copy.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »

home, home on the plage
where the gulls cry and waves crash all day
some quiet to think
some beach boy with drink
and time just to do what you may

Wow!  Stephanie Sondheim!
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »

Actually a house on the plage might be very nice

Better than a plage on your house!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »

I wonder if a massage could take away the constant pain between my shoulder blades

No, I think that is your boss.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Excellent Vibes & Xylophones to BK in his struggle with the postal system! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My aunt, my mom's sister (also a music teacher), had this incredible marimba when I was growing up.  I wonder whatever happened to it?  Hopefully, it went to the school district.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

Back from a nice water aerobics and lunch with Lauren at Applebee's.  We are under a severe thunderstorm watch and I've heard some rumbling and some wind.  Watching an Olympic men's soccer game between Brazil and Egypt.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »

Morning all!  I slept quite well last night.  Might have had something to do with being tired after all that walking! :)  I will start my 2 mile morning walk here shortly.

I am waiting for the AC people and the new contractor who will (hopefully) start on the house in short order. 

I see that Anderson Cooper will be in town in September.   I hope that things are well underway or finished by then.

I suggest you send Anderson a letter suggesting that he follow up on your house when he is in town.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »

Good morning, all.

Woke up from an absurd dream to which I was only too willing to say Good Riddance, and am luxuriating in my first cuppa.  Weird night.  I should have turned the AC back on last night for better sleeping.  It had been off since that AMAZING wind event Tuesday evening, but I could sense today's predicted heat trying to make an early appearance.  I actually needed it whilst working in my Inner Sanctum (music/movie room) last night, so don't ask me what I was thinking.

Yes indeed, DR Ben, we're in for it today.  It's actually dark and stormy here this morning.  Which is but a tease, because once the sun comes out it will steam the place to hell and back.  Getting near 90 where I am, so the city should feel even worse.  However, my two weather websites are calling for a long string of days hovering around 80 starting on Saturday.  I shan't complain.

Sixty-one degrees at noon!
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »

Speaking of Turkey Lurkey Time, I find it hard to believe that a better version of the Tony Awards segment has yet to be posted on YouTube.  I love to watch the existing clip from time to time but its so frustrating at the same time.  I hope that there is a clear copy existing somewhere that will release for viewing someday...
There's a version from the Ed Sullivan show that's of better quality, but you don't get Donna, Margo or Bayork dancing it.

I also like the version that's in the movie Camp.

My favorite (non-original cast) performance is THIS version (I've posted it before), danced by three men (one who is VERY tall) who are lip-synching to the original recording.  It's great!

;)

That is fun.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »

Quote from: Jane on July 25, 2012, 02:59:58 PM
I now have four books to read from the library.  It seems to be feast or famine with them.

And I have four books on CD from the library  in at the same time. I'm hoping to finish "The Book Thief" first, which is a fine young adult novel. Anybody read it?

I wanted to read it, but someone stole my copy.
LOL.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up