Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RUBES  (Read 11432 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE RUBES
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »

A little of both, DR JohnG.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »

TOD:

DVD: Digging into some of my Bollywood horror films

CD: Top Ten Punjabi Hits

DVR: Some pre-code films starring Myrna Loy; some Olympics; looks like more episodes of NY22...maybe this show wasn't cancelled after all!

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »

Of course, with the heat in the high 90s this weekend I might forego watching any television and instead spend he weekend floating in my sister's pool.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »

Was that Blech! or more of a Flehh!?

Maybe the FLEHH! should be a dance of some sort

Everybody - Do the FLEHH!

Like do the SKA, only it sounds much catchier

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: CATHECT!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  PICK YOURSELF UP

FJL

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

The dance that's going around Dan-the-Man's office, from cubicle to cubicle

It's like a virus, it's contagious,

Everybody's feeling it -

THE FLEHH
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:00:01 AM by FJL »

John G.

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »

As sung by Bela Flehh and the Flehhtones.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2012, 09:18:28 AM »

I, on the other hand, am up.

John G.

― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »

Filichia on Fridays is a little sports-minded this week,

http://www.kritzerland.com/filichia.htm

so I'm sure some of the jock types who are reading the theater pages for the reports on the Mike Tyson Broadway show will probably want to read this Filichia entry as well :)

(yes, I'm kidding about that Tyson thing, but it's a fun Filichia item)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 09:45:37 AM »

Good morning all!  We passed a quiet night.  I forgot that tonight is my yearly sleep over for my sleep apnea but I think everything will be ok.  I don't have to be there until nine so I will have some time with the dogs before I go.

VIBES TO YOU AND THE DOGS TONIGHT!

Jane

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »

Rose is going to the Vet today instead of Wednesday, and she will also have a flea treatment and a grooming so she will be lovely.

VIBES YOU DON'T HAVE FLEAS IN YOUR HOUSE!!!

Jane

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »

Good morning, all!

It will be a really lousy day: I got up at 6:30, put the laundry together, opened the door to my apartment to head to the laundromat and find that the elevator is dead, . My entire schedule for the day is screwed: it was to be laundry from 7-9. wait for the AC repair men from 10-3, head out to dinner and vist around 4:15. So, now, depending on when and if the elevator men show up to repair the elevator, the ACrepairmen cannot cart off the air conditioner if they need to - I wouldn't carry the damned thing down three flights f stairs in 90 degree weather for anyone - and I'm not schlepping a heavy load of laundry down the stairs either, and back up when I've finished, so my day is essentially screwed.

Color me pissed.

DR TCB, I stayed last year in a 4-star hotel, the Merrion, and I wish I were there again. The Hibernian Club is beautiful, but it's for wealthy businessmenm such as the Man from Philadelphia who made the decision we would all stay there, only now the only one of the group going is me, and I'm not a wealthy businessman nor do I wish to work on a rehearsal-recording project dressed like a broker or an attorney. I've voiced my concerns..

Can you change your hotel reservations?

Sorry about the elevator, etc.

Michael

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »

Good afternoon to all

Home from work early today
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »

FROM YESTERDAY

The Critics’ Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time:

“Vertigo” (Hitchcock, 1958)
“Citizen Kane” (Welles, 1941)
“Tokyo Story” (Yasujiro Ozu, 1953)
“La Règle du jeu” (Jean Renoir, 1939)
“Sunrise: a Song for Two Humans” (F.W. Murnau, 1927)
“2001: A Space Odyssey” (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
“The Searchers” (John Ford, 1956)
“Man with a Movie Camera” (Vertov, 1929)
“The Passion of Joan of Arc” (Dreyer, 1927)
“8½”(Federico Fellini, 1963)

Interesting that the "youngest" film is from 1968.

And it wants to be search out three of the films I've never seen: Tokoyo Story, Man With A Movie Camera, and La Règle du jeu.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 09:54:41 AM »

TOD

Currently on A Frank Sinatra kick. Listening to his Capitol 50's years
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »

Man With A Movie Camera can be seen in its entirity on YOUTUBE

http://youtu.be/Iey9YIbra2U

So I will be watching that this weekend
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »

FROM YESTERDAY

The music video for Cheyenne Jackson.

Is it for a album of his? TV show? Movie? Did I miss some kind of connection?
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2012, 10:12:18 AM »

Filichia on Fridays is a little sports-minded this week,

http://www.kritzerland.com/filichia.htm

so I'm sure some of the jock types who are reading the theater pages for the reports on the Mike Tyson Broadway show will probably want to read this Filichia entry as well :)

(yes, I'm kidding about that Tyson thing, but it's a fun Filichia item)

I used to know Mike Tyson way, way back when. I was running the paper in Catskill, N.Y., when he was making a name for himself. Sat ringside for probably 10 or 12 of his fights, and we would walk across the street from the newspaper office to the boxing gym above the police station to watch him spar. Fame hadn't gone to his head at that point. His trainer, the gruff but persistent Cus D'Amato, was still alive and he was living under the protection of a wonderful woman named Camille, who was like the mother he never had. They and a manager, Jim Jacobs, protected him. Then Cus died, Jacobs died and things got out of control. Plus, the vultures in that small town started circling, wanting their piece of pie. It was all rather disgusting.

So much of that story reads like a cliche, I know, but that's the way I experienced it. 
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

I used to know Mike Tyson way, way back when. I was running the paper in Catskill, N.Y., when he was making a name for himself. Sat ringside for probably 10 or 12 of his fights, and we would walk across the street from the newspaper office to the boxing gym above the police station to watch him spar. Fame hadn't gone to his head at that point. His trainer, the gruff but persistent Cus D'Amato, was still alive and he was living under the protection of a wonderful woman named Camille, who was like the mother he never had. They and a manager, Jim Jacobs, protected him. Then Cus died, Jacobs died and things got out of control. Plus, the vultures in that small town started circling, wanting their piece of pie. It was all rather disgusting.

So much of that story reads like a cliche, I know, but that's the way I experienced it. 

Thanks for sharing that. 

Do you know if that part of his life is covered in his Broadway show, JohnG?

John G.

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »

Thanks for sharing that. 

Do you know if that part of his life is covered in his Broadway show, JohnG?

I just read the NYT review. I think the show is more about dealing with or not dealing with the problems that happened later: his marriage to Robin Givens, his time with Don King, his time in prison for rape. He probably does spend some  time just to set up the drama, but who wants to pay $199 to hear Mike Tyson talk about his Mayberry days?

But, also, I found the Neil Genzlinger's review somewhat ugly in that he seemed to think a loser Mike would be more interesting that someone who's finding peace with himself. That sounds more like a nasty Rupert Murdoch paper type of comment than the NYT.
― Voltaire

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »

TOD:

CD: Miklos Rozsa's THEKING'S THIEF; Noel Coward

DVD:  I, CLAUDIUS; THE DAMNED UNITED

YOUTUBE: KING JOHN; 8 OUT OF TEN CATS

NIGHTSTAND: THE ACCUSERS by Lindsey Davis.

Don't know whether it's been discussed here or not in the last few days, but CITIZEN KANE may not be the greatest movie ever made, but it sure as Hell isn't VERTIGO.  It isn't even Hitchcock's greatest...The only two movies on Sight & Sound's top list that would make my top ten would be THe SEARCHERS & SINGING IN THE RAIN.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »

Good morning, all!

It will be a really lousy day: I got up at 6:30, put the laundry together, opened the door to my apartment to head to the laundromat and find that the elevator is dead, . My entire schedule for the day is screwed: it was to be laundry from 7-9. wait for the AC repair men from 10-3, head out to dinner and vist around 4:15. So, now, depending on when and if the elevator men show up to repair the elevator, the ACrepairmen cannot cart off the air conditioner if they need to - I wouldn't carry the damned thing down three flights f stairs in 90 degree weather for anyone - and I'm not schlepping a heavy load of laundry down the stairs either, and back up when I've finished, so my day is essentially screwed.

Color me pissed.

DR TCB, I stayed last year in a 4-star hotel, the Merrion, and I wish I were there again. The Hibernian Club is beautiful, but it's for wealthy businessmenm such as the Man from Philadelphia who made the decision we would all stay there, only now the only one of the group going is me, and I'm not a wealthy businessman nor do I wish to work on a rehearsal-recording project dressed like a broker or an attorney. I've voiced my concerns..

Can you change your hotel reservations?

Sorry about the elevator, etc.

The producers assure me  all will be fine. Let's hope.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »

TOD:

CD: Miklos Rozsa's THEKING'S THIEF; Noel Coward

DVD:  I, CLAUDIUS; THE DAMNED UNITED

YOUTUBE: KING JOHN; 8 OUT OF TEN CATS

NIGHTSTAND: THE ACCUSERS by Lindsey Davis.

Don't know whether it's been discussed here or not in the last few days, but CITIZEN KANE may not be the greatest movie ever made, but it sure as Hell isn't VERTIGO.  It isn't even Hitchcock's greatest...The only two movies on Sight & Sound's top list that would make my top ten would be THe SEARCHERS & SINGING IN THE RAIN.

I'm a big fan of Tokyo Story, but I found the list odd, too. I would put Notorious over Vertigo any day. And neither would likely top my list of the greatest movies ever made.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »

Does anybody know if there's a recording of Donna Murphy singing "I Happen to Like New York"?
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »

I think all such lists are silly. 

No, not really.  That would be a little harsh.  They're not silly for people just getting interested in film, or whatever the subject may be, because some guidance and sense of perspective is always of value.  But beyond that, I think it's good to outgrow the need.  I can't even look at articles about the latest "top anything" lists nowadays without my brain glazing over.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »

Waiting for the web guy's return - he was supposed to be home at ten-thirty - Follies is basically sold out, but until he's home I am going into our emergency stash to fill orders that come in, and I really don't like doing that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »

And Follies is sold out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up