Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 24  (Read 12655 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 24
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes basked in the glory of last evening, and now it is time for you to post until the basking cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 24
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: COMPEER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:16:26 AM »

About to announce three titles right here.  Stay tuned.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »

Here's the Blu-ray and CD for Junior High School:

Kritzerland is proud to present two new releases – our second Blu-ray release and the soundtrack CD for the award-winning classic short musical film

JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL

Junior High School was born out of a love of musicals.  Its creators loved the form, embraced the form, and raised enough money to make a short musical film that is utterly charming and a complete delight from start to finish.   David Wechter and Michael Nankin had already directed a critically acclaimed short film called Gravity, which had gotten them noticed.  Two years later, just out of college, they joined some other friends, to make another audacious short film – a real musical about a fictional junior high school.  This was, of course, long before High School Musical and Glee.  In 1978 there was no middle school; there was elementary school, junior high, and high school.   The times they were a’changing – the late 1970s and early 1980s were the end of a certain kind of era, and Junior High School reflects that beautifully.  There is a sweetness and innocence to the film that’s palpable, even if it includes the classic song, “The Itty-Bitty Titty Committee.” 

Made for under $35,000 (the filmmakers raised the money and received a grant from the American Film Institute), the film was shot in one month at John Muir Junior High School in Burbank, California.  It was a family affair, with many relatives and friends appearing in the film and working behind the scenes.  Kids from all over LA auditioned, and the chosen cast is just so real and perfect, you can’t imagine it being better, although only one of the actors went on to have a significant career – PAULA ABDUL. 

The film is beautifully directed and shot (in 16mm), and David Wechter’s tuneful and clever songs are delightful, as is the script.   David’s father, the great Julius Wechter, arranged the songs and wrote an original score.  Julius, of course, was the leader of the popular Baja Marimba Band.  He assembled some amazing players for the soundtrack recording, including several of the infamous Wrecking Crew.  They include such luminaries as Bernie Fleischer, Bobby Findley (of the Tijuana Brass), Lou McCreary, Tommy Tedesco, Dave Frishberg (who also appears and sings in the film), Steve Schaefer, and the engineer was the great Larry Levine (pioneer of Phil Spector’s “Wall of Sound”).   

Junior High School won awards in dozens of film festivals and was an immediate sensation, so much so that critic Roger Ebert said, “I think it’s probably impossible not to be charmed out of your socks by Junior High School.”   As a direct result of the audience and critical response to the film, Wechter and Nankin were hired by Walt Disney Studios to make a feature – at the ripe old age of twenty-three.  That film, Midnight Madness, while not a hit, developed a major cult following that continues to this day.

The Blu-ray has a commentary track, and two retrospective featurettes, Junior High School Reunion and Return to Junior High School as well as Wechter and Nankin’s other short film, Gravity.  The CD release has several bonus tracks, including demos from Midnight Madness, Malibu Bikini Shop, and the never made feature version of Junior High School, which was being developed by United Artists.

The CD of Junior High School is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $19.98, plus shipping.  The Blu-ray is $19.98, plus shipping.  CD and Blu-ray will ship the first week of September, however, never fear, we usually get in copies one to five weeks in advance of the official ship date (we’ve been averaging four weeks). 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:25 AM »

And here's the Baja Marimbas:

Kritzerland is proud to present a new, limited edition CD

LAZY DAYS  JULIUS WECHTER AND THE BAJA MARIMBAS

Julius Wechter and the Baja Marimba band were one of A&M Records’ most popular artists.  Their records were fun, tuneful, and unique and a perfect compliment to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.  At the end of the 1980s, Julius assembled some amazing musicians and created the Baja Marimbas – basically to just have fun and to keep the music alive.  This recording, originally done on the Bay Cities label and titled New Deal, was their one and only album.  It has been out of print for almost two decades and we are thrilled to make it available once again to Baja fans everywhere.

It has been remastered with tender loving care and sounds better than ever.  We’ve also included with a few great bonus tracks making their CD debut. This Baja Marimbas is leaner than the Baja Marimba Band, but it is no less wonderful – the music is infectious and amazing, with great players doing both standards and originals.  Hear such great tunes as “We’re Off to See the Wizard,” “But Not for Me,” “Lazy Days,” “Pavanne,” “Baja Noce,” and others.  Bonus tracks include, “Nine on a Match,” “Green Bird,” “Alone Again, Naturally,” the theme from “Deep Throat,” and a commercial for the Santa Anita Race track.

Lazy Days is like a trip back in time to an era when music could just be fun – fun, beautifully performed, and with melodies you can actually hum and tunes you can actually tap your feet to. 

Lazy Days is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $17.98, plus shipping.

Also be sure to check out Julius Wechter’s great work (both score and arrangements) on his son David Wechter’s (with Michael Nankin) award-winning short film, Junior High School, which has a new Blu-ray and CD release right here at Kritzerland.

CD will ship the first week of September, however, never fear, we usually get in copies one to five weeks in advance of the official ship date (we’ve been averaging four weeks). 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »

All three items are now live on the Kritzerland sits, so if you want 'em you know what to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR td!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:31:46 AM »

And a Very Happy Birthday to (former) DR brian!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »

DVD and two CDs have been ordered!  I'm very muchly enjoying the sample tracks of the marimbas CD.  I'll check out the JHS CD afterwards. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

Finally think I've announced this everywhere - complicated with three releases.

George

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »

BK, Congrats on the success with the latest KRITZERLAND AT STERLING!!

On to the 2nd Anniversary!

George

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:49 AM »

And now...to bed.

Good night.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 02:30:52 AM »

It was terribly hot all weekend. It began to rain around 7:45pm. It's cooler now though it's still scheduled to get up to 88 today.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 02:31:35 AM »

Back to the office and the joy of meat locker AC

Ben

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »

Not much else to report.

We are watching a mediocre Britcom called My Family. It ran from 2000 to 2011 with Christmas episodes starting in 2002. I don't know that we will watch all the episodes. It's run on Channel 21 and Anthony's mother is recording it for us. There are 120 episodes. We're only watching it because it stars Zoe Wanamaker and Robert Lindsay, two great talents wasted in this hit and miss piece of fluff full of bad writing and absurd plots.

That being said, apparently it was a big hit in England, having run for so long and producing 120 episodes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:40:27 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:48 AM »

On that note, I'm off to finish the oatmeal and coffee.

Danise

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »

'Morning all!

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday, DR td!

We have landed on Mars again!   YAY~  Can't wait to see the photos!

Congrats, BK on the 3 releases!

Gotta scoot--late again!!!1
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 03:48:08 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept quite well last night, I think the rain cooled things down enough to make it quite pleasant.

Today, I am out and about for a bit: pharmacy, barber, Toyland, and I hope the day goes well.  I also hope I will return and find the elevator running.

DR Ben, when I was recording in London in 2001 and 2002, I saw quite a few episodes of MY FAMILY. I like Wanamaker and Lindsay a lot, but I never felt it was a very good sitcom. I really liked him on ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, looking a bit like Dudley Moore these dats. But I've never understood the success of the dreadful VICAR OF DIBLEY either!

Good news about the show, BK!

~~~~~~~~~~~~  Good Beginning-of-the-Week Vibes to one and all! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 04:05:05 AM »

Happy happy happy birthday to dear TD!!!!!!

FJL

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:07 AM »

I read that as meat locker Anderson Cooper of course, but then I corrected myself.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »

I read that as meat locker Anderson Cooper of course, but then I corrected myself.

I'd like to be in a meat locker with AC (now that is Anderson Cooper).

FJL

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 04:10:37 AM »

Wonderful news about the show last night, BK, and what an exciting crowd you had at the show,

and also lovely news about the email you got from Mr. Sondheim as well.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 04:12:12 AM »

I'd like to be in a meat locker with AC (now that is Anderson Cooper).

To work on a news story, of course.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 04:14:10 AM »

Oh my, where might this go when TCB gets here?

FJL

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 04:16:42 AM »

I didn't know Brian that well, but I hope his birthday is going well, too.

Ben

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 04:27:18 AM »

Congrats on Sterling!

Michael

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 04:39:17 AM »

Happy Birthday to TD
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 04:42:57 AM »

And here's the Baja Marimbas:

Kritzerland is proud to present a new, limited edition CD

LAZY DAYS  JULIUS WECHTER AND THE BAJA MARIMBAS

Julius Wechter and the Baja Marimba band were one of A&M Records’ most popular artists.  Their records were fun, tuneful, and unique and a perfect compliment to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.  At the end of the 1980s, Julius assembled some amazing musicians and created the Baja Marimbas – basically to just have fun and to keep the music alive.  This recording, originally done on the Bay Cities label and titled New Deal, was their one and only album.  It has been out of print for almost two decades and we are thrilled to make it available once again to Baja fans everywhere.

It has been remastered with tender loving care and sounds better than ever.  We’ve also included with a few great bonus tracks making their CD debut. This Baja Marimbas is leaner than the Baja Marimba Band, but it is no less wonderful – the music is infectious and amazing, with great players doing both standards and originals.  Hear such great tunes as “We’re Off to See the Wizard,” “But Not for Me,” “Lazy Days,” “Pavanne,” “Baja Noce,” and others.  Bonus tracks include, “Nine on a Match,” “Green Bird,” “Alone Again, Naturally,” the theme from “Deep Throat,” and a commercial for the Santa Anita Race track.

Lazy Days is like a trip back in time to an era when music could just be fun – fun, beautifully performed, and with melodies you can actually hum and tunes you can actually tap your feet to. 

Lazy Days is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $17.98, plus shipping.

Also be sure to check out Julius Wechter’s great work (both score and arrangements) on his son David Wechter’s (with Michael Nankin) award-winning short film, Junior High School, which has a new Blu-ray and CD release right here at Kritzerland.

CD will ship the first week of September, however, never fear, we usually get in copies one to five weeks in advance of the official ship date (we’ve been averaging four weeks). 

I own the out of print version and it is a lot of fun to listen to. It's the only genre of music that I own.

I recommend to anyone who hasn't heard that kind of music
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:29 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm at JFK.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up