Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ANSWERING THE DOOR  (Read 15118 times)

ChasSmith

Re: ANSWERING THE DOOR
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

THREE (3).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01:30 AM »

Wow--this is the first I heard of Judit Crist.  But I haven't been on-line for the most of the morning.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Lunch with the grantwriters today - it was at their August meeting 2 years ago that I had my heart attack.  I will try not to do an encore.

No encores PLEASE!!!
No. No encores. Dr.'s and DR's orders.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »

Good morning all!  First Post but not much to say.

Vibes to all.   Hoping that DR Elmore elevator/AC woes are taken care of TODAY.

Have a wonder filled day!

Isn't it wonderful to have Danise back on a regular posting basis!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

And of course Mr Hamlisch was the pianist in the New York rehearsal scene in Valley of the Dolls.
Funny, but none of the obits I've read so far has mentioned that nugget of information. (And Richard Dreyfuss is a bellboy or something odd in a uniform paging Keely.)

Judith Crist has died. I met her a few times more than 25 years ago, including once a riverboat cruise on the Hudson. Nice woman. I always enjoyed her reviews. She wasn't Pauline Kael, but she was herself.

I still miss her reviews.  I wish I had been on that cruise with you.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »

DR John G, "It didn't seem like YA to me, either. But I loved it. It moved me to tears several times, although that could be my mother's history, which played a big part of what I brought to the reading. Her grandparents on her mother's side died in concentration camps for trying to help Jews escape on the trains, for which my great-grandfather worked."

This gave me chills.  Wow!  You must be very proud to have such brave grandparents.
They set an example to live up to.

:)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Lunch with the grantwriters today - it was at their August meeting 2 years ago that I had my heart attack.  I will try not to do an encore.

It doesn't seem possible that it has been two years, Ginny.  Of course, I have been in this stupid chair for over a year.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »

Hi from Munchen.  Walked a lot today.  Have not drank enough beer today, must get on that right away!!!

Jane

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »

Good morning all!  First Post but not much to say.

Vibes to all.   Hoping that DR Elmore elevator/AC woes are taken care of TODAY.

Have a wonder filled day!

Isn't it wonderful to have Danise back on a regular posting basis!

Yes.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »

From DR Vixmom:
thank you all for your advice -- I do not wear belts  and I usually try to wear a dress and sandals when I fly - 

I tend to be cold on flights & prefer pants & socks.  Those sandals should be sturdy & secure.  I know people fly in flip flops all the time, however for safety reasons secure shoes are recommended. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:29 AM »

I don't remember knowing that about Hamlisch or Dreyfuss in DOLLS.  Time anyway for a re-watch.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »

Good morning.  We had no phone or internet service yesterday.  Thieves stole part of the cable again, this time practically in the back yard of our friend's down the road.  The 100' of cable is worth about $50 on the street and cost Century Link around $10,000 to repair.

Cable theft is a major problem in the UK as well, especially from railway lines, which causes massive disruption to train services.

About two months ago, the local authorities caught a husband and wife team red-handed as they were ripping away copper cabling from a train station on the line I ride to work every day.  If fact, they were ready to go to work on the overhead cantilever wiring, which would have shut down the train line for days.

NASA had better keep a vigilent eye on that 1909 penny that's aboard the Curiosity Mars rover...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »

Mr Hamlisch is only in one shot, so look quickly.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »

I know Arnie Gross who was the rehearsal pianist in the NY-to-LA scene in ALL THAT JAZZ.  He got a few decent shots, as I recall.

Now I'm wondering what other movies have rehearsal pianist moments worth checking out...

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »

And of course Mr Hamlisch was the pianist in the New York rehearsal scene in Valley of the Dolls.
Funny, but none of the obits I've read so far has mentioned that nugget of information. (And Richard Dreyfuss is a bellboy or something odd in a uniform paging Keely.)

Judith Crist has died. I met her a few times more than 25 years ago, including once a riverboat cruise on the Hudson. Nice woman. I always enjoyed her reviews. She wasn't Pauline Kael, but she was herself.

It was a great evening. Just a few hours on the Hudson River on a Saturday night. Maxine Sullivan and two other local singers whose names have flown out of my head staged what was called "Last of the Red-Hot Mamas." They sang to a local backup band and you watched the sunset with wine, talked and just enjoyed life. They did it twice, before Sullivan's death. It drew people from all over the region, including Crist. It was a nice fundraiser for our arts council.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »

Awaiting helper, then interviewer - must shower as soon as helper has gone.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »

Good morning.  We had no phone or internet service yesterday.  Thieves stole part of the cable again, this time practically in the back yard of our friend's down the road.  The 100' of cable is worth about $50 on the street and cost Century Link around $10,000 to repair.

Cable theft is a major problem in the UK as well, especially from railway lines, which causes massive disruption to train services.

About two months ago, the local authorities caught a husband and wife team red-handed as they were ripping away copper cabling from a train station on the line I ride to work every day.  If fact, they were ready to go to work on the overhead cantilever wiring, which would have shut down the train line for days.

NASA had better keep a vigilent eye on that 1909 penny that's aboard the Curiosity Mars rover...

I'm glad the culprit's were caught.  Did they say what they were going to do with he copper?

Jane

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »

It was a great evening. Just a few hours on the Hudson River on a Saturday night. Maxine Sullivan and two other local singers whose names have flown out of my head staged what was called "Last of the Red-Hot Mamas." They sang to a local backup band and you watched the sunset with wine, talked and just enjoyed life. They did it twice, before Sullivan's death. It drew people from all over the region, including Crist. It was a nice fundraiser for our arts council.

Sounds very nice.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »

As much as I dislike Century Link I feel bad for them, and for us, that thieves keep steeling cable.  Fingerprints might have been left behind this time.  If so I hope they lead to the person who did this.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »

Well, I have found what I wanted to examine at Rodgers & Hammerstein, I turned down MC'ing a concert at the Library of Congress on December 3, I am home, and I cancelled tomorrow's visit from the AC repair men. There is still no sign of any work on the goddamned elevator.

I did send my rental agent an email. Again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »

DR John G, "It didn't seem like YA to me, either. But I loved it. It moved me to tears several times, although that could be my mother's history, which played a big part of what I brought to the reading. Her grandparents on her mother's side died in concentration camps for trying to help Jews escape on the trains, for which my great-grandfather worked."

This gave me chills.  Wow!  You must be very proud to have such brave grandparents.

I agree with what Jane said. I meant to comment yesterday but got distracted and didn't get back to it.  You come from a very brave family. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

DR elmore I had also guessed the leak several months ago.

Me too- well didn't know the details, but guessed the person

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »

I was shocked to hear about Marvin Hamlisch.  I knew he had been sick and wasn't in Nashville for the previews of Nutty Prof but didn't have any idea it was this serious. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »

Interview was fun.  Also had a nice e-mail from the daughter of Dorothy Collins asking if she could get a Follies CD.  Of course we're sending it to her immediately.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »

Interview was fun.  Also had a nice e-mail from the daughter of Dorothy Collins asking if she could get a Follies CD.  Of course we're sending it to her immediately.

How nice!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2012, 01:18:22 PM »

Off to Family Night Dress Rehearsal of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »

No encores PLEASE!!!
No. No encores. Dr.'s and DR's orders.

No encore today!  I did 5 errands on the way home and arrived in time to put a chicken in the oven for our dinner.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »

It doesn't seem possible that it has been two years, Ginny.  Of course, I have been in this stupid chair for over a year.

Well, DR TCB, Mary Engelbreit says "Time flies whether you're having fun or not."  Hang in there!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

DR Cillaliz, here's a Groupon I received today for the Hotel Wales.  Of course, since it's on the Upper East Side, DR Elmore probably won't visit you there  ;)

NYC is beautiful all decked out for Christmas.  Richard and I were there from Dec. 25, 1982 to Jan. 1, 1983, and had a fabulous time.  That's when we saw 8 shows in 6 days, including SNOOPY! with DR Elmore.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

Marvin Hamlisch

has passed away after a brief illness.

:'( That's a shock!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up