Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WAY WE WERE  (Read 16552 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE WAY WE WERE
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2012, 07:59:50 AM »

We used fans last night but we slept without the AC (that's Air Conditioning, not Anderson Cooper).

They are talking rain today.

We shall see.

You probably wouldn't have slept if the AC had been Anderson Cooper.

You naughty man! Go return your laptop  ;)

Don't get me started on my laptop notebook.  HP has fallen from my list of preferred computer makers.  They want me to send the damn notebook to them (at my expense) and they promise to fix it and send it back (at no charge) in about ten days.  How I, in my wheelchair and not able to drive, am going to get the damn thing to Fed Ex is beyond me.

FedEx will come to you, TCB.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »

The thing about Marvin Hamlisch's Oscars is that he hit the trifecta (so to speak).

He won for "The Sting" (adaptation), and "The Way We Were" (score and song) in the same year.  All three Oscars!  In one year.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »

According to AOL. skimping on sleep is one of the signs of Bipolar Disorder.  I thought it was a sign that you are watching too much of the Olympics!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR DerBrucer!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »

DR Laura, I have apparently done something right this summer. My parsley plant has been taken hostage by a couple of caterpillars. Any suggestions on what else I could do to attract some butterflies-to-be?

It's been a good time recently for the little critters out there. I have seen plenty of dragonflies back there and I just stood and watched a grasshopper the other day as he was eating away on one of my oregano plants. He was about 1 1/2 inches long, bright green and I couldn't help it, I just let him eat.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »

DR Laura, I have apparently done something right this summer. My parsley plant has been taken hostage by a couple of caterpillars. Any suggestions on what else I could do to attract some butterflies-to-be?

It's been a good time recently for the little critters out there. I have seen plenty of dragonflies back there and I just stood and watched a grasshopper the other day as he was eating away on one of my oregano plants. He was about 1 1/2 inches long, bright green and I couldn't help it, I just let him eat.

Send the dragonflies to us; we need to kill the mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus!  It's been bad this year.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

Are you sure it isn't the start of locust season?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2012, 08:53:39 AM »

Send the dragonflies to us; we need to kill the mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus!  It's been bad this year.

Shouldn't that be the West Hudson Virus?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  As soon as I'm not groggy I'll make some telephonic calls.

John G.

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »

Are you sure it isn't the start of locust season?
I might have seen one of those last night, too. The way the heat is killing the plants, I don't which would be worse.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »

I didn't know Imelda  Staunton was married to the man who plays Carson on "Downton Abbey."
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »

Hurray! You probably have black swallowtail caterpillars. They use parsley, dill, fennel, and I think Queen Anne's lace as a host plant where they lay their eggs.

I would recommend planting milkweed. There are several very pretty ones if you don't like the ones many folks consider "weeds." That will bring monarchs and queens. And all butterflies like to nectar on milkweed flowers.

If you can find passion vine (ask if it has been sprayed with insecticide), you should also attract gulf fritillaries if you have them in your area.

Laura

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »

Arizona is dry enough most of the time that we don't really have many mosquitoes. But the ones we have are sick with West Nile. When we get our summer monsoon storms, the water puddles in things like old tires, old pots ... stuff like that ... where the water is stagnant. That's what mosquitoes lay their eggs in. Also, some people (like the neighbor across the street) let their pools turn green. That's a big source of mosquitoes for us.

Laura

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:45 AM »

John G., Texas is one of the big hotspots for monarchs during their fall migration. You should see them if you plant milkweed in your yard. I get them here, and we aren't the hot spot that you are!

Laura

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »

DO you have a pond in your yard, John G.?

John G.

« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »

No. I just water my plants regularly, once or twice a day depending on how much energy I have. I also have the hummingbird feeder filled, which has attracted a few plus some other insects. I just keep wishing it will attract the bees to pollinate the blossoms on the pepper plants, the tomatillo and the rest, but I see everything but bees these days.
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »

BK, you might need to change your Twitter account password--it looks like it might have been hijacked!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »

It is moving time and the car is full.  Unfortunately there are still items outside the car that need to be fit into it.  Yogi is concerned he will be left behind.  Poor Kitty will have to be in her carrier.

John G.

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

It is moving time and the car is full.  Unfortunately there are still items outside the car that need to be fit into it.  Yogi is concerned he will be left behind.  Poor Kitty will have to be in her carrier.
But there is room for Kitty's carrier, right, and not strapped to the hood of the car?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »

!!!!!!!!!! The elevator is back in service !!!!!!!!!!
I just carted the garbage to the basement.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »

It's a good thing DR MBarnum doesn't live here. He'd be breaking it daily just to get one of the repairmen back to the building.

Is there any identification of that fool on Twitter who's been threatening an Aurora-type shooting in the Broadway theatre where the Spike Lee-MikeTyson show is playing?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:37:44 AM by elmore3003 »

Ben

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »

BK, you might need to change your Twitter account password--it looks like it might have been hijacked!

I concur. I got a strange tweet this morning. I can't figure out how to post it here but I've sent it to your gmail account so you can see what we mean. When you click on the link in the tweet you get taken to

Tactical Air Defense Services

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 10:39:15 AM »

I've packed up the two cartons I need to ship tomorrow at the post office and I'm waiting for the postman. i'm hoping the expected check will arrive.

John G.

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »

Congrats on the elevator being repaired, Elmore.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »

Congrats on the elevator being repaired, Elmore.

Thank you. It looks as though the damned check did not.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »

Misty, water-colored mem'ries...of the way we were...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »

Painted pictures....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »

La-dah-DEE  da-dee-da-dum....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »

Can it be that it was all so simple then...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »

Or has time rewritten every line?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up