Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG FOLLIES POSTER  (Read 10100 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE BIG FOLLIES POSTER
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »

Page Three!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »

AND yes I am excused from MILLIE this evening.  The director wanted to use me even though I would miss one performance.  My partner in crime will take my two lines.

Many years ago, when I was young and good looking, I auditioned and was cast in a show.  Only after I was cast, did I realize that I had already bought and paid for five days in Las Vegas that included the opening weekend of the show..  The director refused to let me out of the show, but instead found a kid who was willing to understudy my role, and play it for the opening weekend.  Weird!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

I got soaking wet in the rain and it was such a delight after all of this damned warm humidity. I need to run to Harry's Shoes for a new pair this afternoon and finish my shopping.  And pay the cell phone bill so I'm covered while I am away.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:59:05 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »

AND yes I am excused from MILLIE this evening.  The director wanted to use me even though I would miss one performance.  My partner in crime will take my two lines.

Many years ago, when I was young and good looking, I auditioned and was cast in a show.  Only after I was cast, did I realize that I had already bought and paid for five days in Las Vegas that included the opening weekend of the show..  The director refused to let me out of the show, but instead found a kid who was willing to understudy my role, and play it for the opening weekend.  Weird!

Why is that weird?  Didn't you play most of the run?

Michael

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »

SPOILER ALERT, I guess

Re Filichia on Friday: I saw the second preview of "Into the Woods" and at that time, Tom Aldredge's narrator was the Baker's son, and it provided a touching ending. Then when I saw the show again the weekend after the opening, the whole second act had been changed for a much broader comedy in which the narrator was turned over to the Giant's Widow, etc.

So, this is yet another version of "Into the Woods" that goes back to some of what had originally been in  the script. That leads me to the question: Are there any other musicals out there with multiple sanctioned scripts that can be performed? And I don't mean the adult version vs. a junior version?

I believe there are three versions of Anything Goes available. The original 1930's, the 1960's Off-Broadway (Hal Linden did it) and the Lincoln Center version which was the last two productions that were on Broadway.
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:39 PM »

Friday afternoon greetings!  No, we did not blow away in a thunderstorm last night.  I slept later than I should have this morning and had to rush around in order to pick up my Mom in time for her doctor's appointment.  Her report was good with a follow-up visit scheduled for October.  We then went to lunch and shopping and I've only been home about half an hour.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »

Wedding day vibes to the nephew of DR JRand!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »

SPOILER ALERT, I guess

Re Filichia on Friday: I saw the second preview of "Into the Woods" and at that time, Tom Aldredge's narrator was the Baker's son, and it provided a touching ending. Then when I saw the show again the weekend after the opening, the whole second act had been changed for a much broader comedy in which the narrator was turned over to the Giant's Widow, etc.

So, this is yet another version of "Into the Woods" that goes back to some of what had originally been in  the script. That leads me to the question: Are there any other musicals out there with multiple sanctioned scripts that can be performed? And I don't mean the adult version vs. a junior version?

I believe there are three versions of Anything Goes available. The original 1930's, the 1960's Off-Broadway (Hal Linden did it) and the Lincoln Center version which was the last two productions that were on Broadway.
I didn't realize the original was still licensed. It'd be fun, for the heck of it, to read that libretto.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »

Yes, I did, but it just seemed strange to have an understudy do Opening Night while I was down in Vegas watching Steve and Eydie!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »

Friday afternoon greetings!  No, we did not blow away in a thunderstorm last night.  I slept later than I should have this morning and had to rush around in order to pick up my Mom in time for her doctor's appointment.  Her report was good with a follow-up visit scheduled for October.  We then went to lunch and shopping and I've only been home about half an hour.

I bet your mom is thrilled that you are retired.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »

I bet your mom is thrilled that you are retired.

She's one of the reasons I retired when I did...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »

SPOILER ALERT, I guess

Actually, the original 1930s ANYTHING GOES was not the original.  Originally the story took place during a ship wreck; but just before going into rehearsals. the Morro Castle burned off the coast of New Jersey, so they rewrote the musical.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:19:10 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »

SPOILER ALERT, I guess

Actually, the original 1930s ANYTHING GOES was not the original.  Originally the story took place during a ship wreck; but just before going into rehearsals. the Morro Castle burned off the coast of New Jersey, so they rewrote the musical.

I've always wondered if that original original script still exists somewhere...if it was finished and ready enough that it could be performed now or were all the songs that currently exist used in that original version. 

Anyone know?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »

Today is my nephew's wedding day....in the amphitheatre at Brown County State Park.....so we are hoping for good weather.

Weather vibes indeed.   

Much happiness to the couple.  And to the uncle, of course. 

Ditto!  Ditto...and Ditto!!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »

SPOILER ALERT, I guess

And then there's Drood...formerly known as The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »

SPOILER ALERT, I guess

And then there's Drood...formerly known as The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

;)

Better title than THE NUTTY DROOD!
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »

Or DROOD WHERE'S MY CAR?

FJL

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »

Wait that's DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR

(never mind)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »

There's a story in the L.A. Times questioning the future of "The Nutty Professor" without Hamlisch. It would seem odd at this point to talk about pulling the plug.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2012, 02:20:23 PM »

Yes, I did, but it just seemed strange to have an understudy do Opening Night while I was down in Vegas watching Steve and Eydie!

Strange, sure, but obviously, you were the one he wanted in the role.  Which one of you got reviewed?   More importantly, which one of you was in the show when he had important people he wanted to impress with his work come to see the show?  (I have a feeling it was you, his first choice, not the opening night understudy actor, right?) 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2012, 02:24:42 PM »

Well, I just did what I was dragging my feet about doing: I contacted my attorney about changing my will to remove my former friend. It took me months to do the same with the Macbeths. I suppose in both cases I hoped that smething would occur to change my mind and show my instincts were wrong.

Nada.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »

Well, I just did what I was dragging my feet about doing: I contacted my attorney about changing my will to remove my former friend. It took me months to do the same with the Macbeths. I suppose in both cases I hoped that smething would occur to change my mind and show my instincts were wrong.

Nada.
Sorry to hear that.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »

Nada.
Sorry to hear that.

Nada.
Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, DR JohnG. sometimes things happen and you have no control over the catalysts or the consequences. I've been ponderng this for about four months now, and I wish it were otherwise.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »

On a more posiive note, I know that I will have Stephen Rea for two rehearsals (piano and orchestra) before we record him. I am very excited about this.

I think tonight i will watch him as Constantin in THE SEA GULL or with Twiggy in THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »

Nada.

I am so sorry, Larry.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »

On a more posiive note, I know that I will have Stephen Rea for two rehearsals (piano and orchestra) before we record him. I am very excited about this.

I think tonight i will watch him as Constantin in THE SEA GULL or with Twiggy in THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS.

I was going to say that anything had to be better than a film version of THE SEAGULL.  However, after reading a little about THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS, I think I would go with THE SEAGULL.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »

Man, I haven't stopped and didn't even have a moment to post after arising this morning.  Endless e-mails, telephonic calls, errands and whatnot, got an important envelope so did banking, ate, chose some songs, wrote a blurb, got audio samples to the web guy and on and on and on.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »

I was going to say that anything had to be better than a film version of THE SEAGULL.  However, after reading a little about THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS, I think I would go with THE SEAGULL.

I love THE SEA GULL!

FJL

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »

I'm a little confused by something.  Have we as gay people allowed ourselves to equate

the people who question whether gay people should have the right to be legally married in the eyes of Federal law [recalling that Pres. Obama was in this group less than two years ago]

with

the people who question whether gay people should have human rights, and should be treated as equal for purposes of matters like employment, housing and those types of matters

I worry that some have started to label people "haters" because they haven't come as far as we'd like as quickly as we'd like, forgetting even the very liberal Democratic party President didn't support gay marriage just two years ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up