Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAM FLIES  (Read 14402 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: DREAM FLIES
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:52 AM »

RE: The Fly in the notes.

Remember, MR BK - once it was human, even as you and I!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »

The smoke outside is getting worse.  The fires are only 20 miles away so I'm not too surprised.  I feel bad for the demolition crew having to breath the smoke along with all the dust they are creating.

ChasSmith

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »

DR Jane, that looks like a stunning piece of property.  Seriously.

Thank you.  We like it but it is a lot of work for Keith which is why the current project.  The idea is to make caring for it easier. 

What took you to that part of the world?  Please pardon my memory if you've already talked about this since I've been here! 

Keith was working in London so I tagged along.  During the days I entertained myself walking around the city & had lunch with an English cousin.  Best of all, Keith had to take the train to Cambridge.  While he worked I enjoyed the sights.   After a few days I flew to The Isle of Man to spend the night with family and from there met Keith in Dublin for a few days of vacation.  We were supposed to stay longer in Ireland and do a bit of touring but, as often happened, Keith had to return to work sooner than expected.

DR Jane, that's a fine story, thank you, but what I meant was what led you to living in Oregon?   :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »

The Fly Page Four Dance.

ChasSmith

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »

Where in the HELL is the CD I ordered this morning?

ChasSmith

« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »

DR John G. --
I'll take a mailing address for your 1936 SHOW BOAT.  It should be ready to go by tomorrow.

DR Elmore --
Almost done with all of yours.  Do you also want the 1929 film?

Jane

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2012, 08:54:26 AM »

DR Jane, that looks like a stunning piece of property.  Seriously.

Thank you.  We like it but it is a lot of work for Keith which is why the current project.  The idea is to make caring for it easier. 

What took you to that part of the world?  Please pardon my memory if you've already talked about this since I've been here! 

Keith was working in London so I tagged along.  During the days I entertained myself walking around the city & had lunch with an English cousin.  Best of all, Keith had to take the train to Cambridge.  While he worked I enjoyed the sights.   After a few days I flew to The Isle of Man to spend the night with family and from there met Keith in Dublin for a few days of vacation.  We were supposed to stay longer in Ireland and do a bit of touring but, as often happened, Keith had to return to work sooner than expected.

DR Jane, that's a fine story, thank you, but what I meant was what led you to living in Oregon?   :D

LOL.  I only read the question, not the quote above it. ::)

We were living in Northern California when Keith retired.  We first came to Ashland in October when we were missing the fall colors and decided to move here.  Had we still been on the East Coast when Keith retired we likely would be living in New Hampshire or Maine.   It is funny though, except for hiking, we rarely take advantage the extras that enticed us here.  This is a college town & we have lots of theater from the big Shakespeare Festival to the Cabaret Theater and much more.  I like that we are nestled between two mountain ranges.  What I don't like is the inconvenience & expense of flying most places.

Doug R

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »

The BBC have begun showing a four part Wallander with Rolf Lassgard. It's "The Fifth Woman" made in 2002. Another well made atmospheric Wallander film but what spoils it for me is the incredibly heavy grainy photography which is like looking at a constant snowfall. I don't believe it's an advantage for any film to look like that - it just looks ugly. Although no doubt the Blu-ray "I love grain" fanatics would be overjoyed.  

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »

I was distressed to learn that the people who lived across the street from me and who had always maintained an immaculate front yard (unlike my attempts at Darwinian gardening) had lost their home to foreclosure. I didn't know them very well. They spoke Spanish and not much English. But they were always friendly and had an adorable little girl.

:(  I hope they will be ok.
I will never know. That's part of what is sad about the situation. I didn't really know that they had left. I saw a yard sale over there, but I don't need kids items. And that's it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »

DR John G. --
I'll take a mailing address for your 1936 SHOW BOAT.  It should be ready to go by tomorrow.

DR Elmore --
Almost done with all of yours.  Do you also want the 1929 film?

No, thanks! I've seen it and I think it's quite interesting, but I see no need to own it.

I am going to head out for some dinner, then buy a few bottles of water to cart to tonight's chorus rehearsal.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »

I discovered that a 1970s BBC adaptation of HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY was available as a 5-part DVD series, so I ordered that from Amazon.co.uk today. Hopefully, it will be waiting for me when I get home.

Off to find some dinner!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »

Looking forward to your dinner report, DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »

It's not been a day for good news. I just found out that a friend I used to work discovered her mother's body after the mother had committed suicide. Jenny had had a long history of dealing with her mother's mental condition, which could be a bit like a roller coaster, and I guess her mom reached the point where she just couldn't go on. So, please keep Jenny in your thoughts, prayers and vibes today.  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »

ChasSmith, I sent it to you in a message. Thanks again.
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »

I discovered that a 1970s BBC adaptation of HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY was available as a 5-part DVD series, so I ordered that from Amazon.co.uk today. Hopefully, it will be waiting for me when I get home.

I saw that on TV about a week ago. Well made with a great cast.

ChasSmith

« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »

That is HORRIBLE.  Vibes of comfort to DR John G.'s friend Jenny.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »

Thanks for the report! I am plowing through the book. It's a really good read. I will watch the John Ford film again when I get back to NYC, but the BBC will do this  book well, I think.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »

That is HORRIBLE.  Vibes of comfort to DR John G.'s friend Jenny.

Ditto!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »

Sian Phillips will certainly be a different Mrs Morgan than Sara Allgood!

John G.

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2012, 10:02:33 AM »

Thanks for the report! I am plowing through the book. It's a really good read. I will watch the John Ford film again when I get back to NYC, but the BBC will do this  book well, I think.
I don't remember  much from the mini-series except I was glued to the set for each episode. I enjoyed that one tremendously. But then again, I even enjoy parts of "A Time for Singing."
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »

I was distressed to learn that the people who lived across the street from me and who had always maintained an immaculate front yard (unlike my attempts at Darwinian gardening) had lost their home to foreclosure. I didn't know them very well. They spoke Spanish and not much English. But they were always friendly and had an adorable little girl.

:(  I hope they will be ok.
I will never know. That's part of what is sad about the situation. I didn't really know that they had left. I saw a yard sale over there, but I don't need kids items. And that's it.

It is a shame.

FJL

« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2012, 10:08:51 AM »

I'm so sad to hear that news, John G.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »

It's not been a day for good news. I just found out that a friend I used to work discovered her mother's body after the mother had committed suicide. Jenny had had a long history of dealing with her mother's mental condition, which could be a bit like a roller coaster, and I guess her mom reached the point where she just couldn't go on. So, please keep Jenny in your thoughts, prayers and vibes today.  

Poor Jenny.  I hope she will be able to enjoy life off of the roller coaster.  It is very sad she was the one to find her mother.

Laura

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »

Vibes of comfort to Jenny. It's a terrible roller coaster ride. I hope she will be able to go on with her own life now.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »

Vibes for Jenny friend of DR JOHN G.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »

lines lines lines lines lines lines.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »

Plowing through my part of ACT ONE.

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »

Vibes & prayers for Jenny...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »

Many thanks, all of you, on Jenny's behalf.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2012, 11:07:45 AM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up