Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SODA POP  (Read 11187 times)

ChasSmith

Re: SODA POP
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »

And finally.....PAGE TWO.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 07:38:05 AM »

Vernor's has had such a cult following over the years, thanks to its unavailability in the places so many people from the Midwest have moved to.  And boy, talk about the pleasure of sipping from a chilled glass bottle -- there was nothing like that first "sting" of Vernor's, for the longest time the only ginger ale to actually have the taste of ginger.

Nowadays, the many "ginger beers" on the market have a much stronger bite and fuller flavor than Vernor's, but it's still a nostalgic treat to have it when I'm in Ohio.

Vernors used to be my ginger ale of choice, but in the last ten years or so, I've preferred Canada Dry.

Here's a question for BK or anyone?  Does anyone else think that sodas do not taste as good from a can as when they all came out of a bottle?  I'm drinking some Barq's root beer right now and I remember this stuff tasting a whole lot better when I was a kid and drank it from a bottle.  Is it my aging taste buds or is it the lack of a bottle?

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »

Vernor's has had such a cult following over the years, thanks to its unavailability in the places so many people from the Midwest have moved to.  And boy, talk about the pleasure of sipping from a chilled glass bottle -- there was nothing like that first "sting" of Vernor's, for the longest time the only ginger ale to actually have the taste of ginger.

Nowadays, the many "ginger beers" on the market have a much stronger bite and fuller flavor than Vernor's, but it's still a nostalgic treat to have it when I'm in Ohio.

Vernors used to be my ginger ale of choice, but in the last ten years or so, I've preferred Canada Dry.

Here's a question for BK or anyone?  Does anyone else think that sodas do not taste as good from a can as when they all came out of a bottle?  I'm drinking some Barq's root beer right now and I remember this stuff tasting a whole lot better when I was a kid and drank it from a bottle.  Is it my aging taste buds or is it the lack of a bottle?

In my experience, there's no question about it.

But don't get me started, or I'll end up describing every manner of bottle, can, glass, type of ice, etc., that soda should or shouldn't ever be served in.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »

I prefer bottles when I can find them. IBC Root Beer in the bottle (the diet version is still made with saccharine, which appeals to this former Tab drinker), Mexican Coke, Mexican Fresca, etc.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »

TOD:

I don't recall having a particular favorite soda as a kid. My parents only bought it when we went camping or I would have it when we went out to the pizza parlor. Pepsi, Coke, Dr Pepper, Orange Crush, the various Shasta flavors, whatever was around, I drank it. At home all we usually had was Kool-Aid.

As a teen I developed a preference for Pepsi and it is still my favorite. Next to Pepsi, Dr. Pepper is my favorite, although I can count on one hand the times I have actually had a soda of any type in the last 10 years. My beverage of choice now is usually water, decaf coffee, or tea.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »

Most of the stores around here have the Mexican sodas. Maybe I should give them a try. I didn't know of this sugar vs. fructose thing. I guess I never even thought about it, but I would be curious to taste the difference.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm having another bagel with cream cheese and nori. And two cups of coffee.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 08:01:37 AM »

Thank You all for the condolences. I just checked on Facebook, and it was nice to see so many posts about Jimmy's passing from friends, colleagues and teachers.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:03 AM »

For those who might be fans, the entire run of the old tv series MR LUCKY and PETER GUNN are releasing on DVD in October.

I can remember watching both during summer breaks back in my high school days. They aired on a UHF station at around 3 am or some such time.

Now, if someone would just release the series THE MILLIONAIRE!

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »

That is very sad about Jimmy. And rather a shock too, I would imagine.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 08:04:09 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I was a Grape Nehi lover.

There was also a local company in Groton, CT, called Serendipity (I believe) that made an amazing Black Cherry soda. It wasn't Cola flavored with Cherry syrup. It was Black Cherry Soda.

Oh, and Cheerwine - which, thankfully, is starting to widen their distribution again - and usually in bottles.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:12 AM »

And since I need to walk down to the post office before I head to rehearsal... -And I have a feeling I'll probably be checking in from rehearsal today...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »

Oh...

And, YES, soda from a can tastes difference from soda from a glass bottle. Not only is the "chill" different, but some companies modify their formulas/recipes for their canned products (v. their bottles products). It has something to do with counteracting some of the "byproducts" that occur during canning, as well as the "metal taste".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »

Once again...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Doug R

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 08:26:02 AM »

TOD: Soda pop

We call them soft drinks in the UK but I never liked them and never drink them. I only drink tea, coffee and beer  ;D

John G.

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »

Most of the stores around here have the Mexican sodas. Maybe I should give them a try. I didn't know of this sugar vs. fructose thing. I guess I never even thought about it, but I would be curious to taste the difference.
I've been involved in a couple of blind side-by-side tastings of American Coke vs. Mexican Coke. People's preferences were usually along the lines of what they were used to. The people who drank American Coke preferred American Coke and thought the sugar too sweet. The people who preferred Mexican Coke found the American oilier on the tongue and  lacking in that old-fashioned bitterness that seems to have disappeared from American Coke. But to a person, they went with what they normally drank, even without knowing what they were drinking.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 08:50:56 AM »

From DR Matthew:

Visit with Dad and Aunt and Uncle went well.  Very glad it happened.

I'm very happy for you.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »

DR Cilla I don't know why I said "lots" of siblings.  Still, to me, two should be enough to get the big box of crayons. ;)

Jane

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »

Annalene says she could use the rest.

;D

Jane

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »

DR Jose, my condolences on the loss of your friend. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:58:16 AM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »

My Ask BK Question

What is the ratio of single sales vs vendors of a title like the Strange Love of Martha Ivers?
Would a title be able sell out if you only sold to individuals?

Soundtrack sales are always mostly to vendors.  I'd love to do a test once with a great title and just offer it exclusively on the site, but then I'd lose the vendors.  For shows, though, it's 90% site to vendors, which is why I love doing the shows.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »

Pogue - that was the shocker last night - having the Dr. Brown's from a bottle - it was fantastic.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »

Even though I grew up in Detroit, where Vernor's is a staple, I never liked it.  I drank a lot of Coke and also liked another Detroit product, Faygo, especially the Red Pop and Rock 'n' Rye flavors.  I've all but given up sugary sodas and now drink a lightly flavored sparkling water from Canada Dry.

I'm not sure I ever had a Vernor's until we moved to Michigan.  Friend's that visited took some home with them.
The second time we lived in Michigan we lived across the street from a beautiful home that had once belonged to a Vernor family member.  I can't remember which one now.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »

I had an addiction to Pepsi which I finally got under control years ago.  After that I drank Orange Crush until my stomach protested and I had to give up all fizzy drinks.  Pepsi now has mini cans & once in awhile I'll treat myself to half a mini can.

John G.

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »

All this drink talk begs the question of what you call them. As Doug R mentioned, soft drinks was one term we used. Or "Coke" as a generic for all soft drinks. Who uses pop? Or soda? Or what?
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »

It makes sense that a bottle would be better than a can.  With Pepsi I never noticed & cans were fine.  I preferred my Orange Crush out of a bottle.  It is my understanding root beer tasted better when we were young because it had an ingredient that is no longer available.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »

I prefer bottles when I can find them. IBC Root Beer in the bottle (the diet version is still made with saccharine, which appeals to this former Tab drinker), Mexican Coke, Mexican Fresca, etc.

IBC is one of the few root beers I like.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »

All this drink talk begs the question of what you call them. As Doug R mentioned, soft drinks was one term we used. Or "Coke" as a generic for all soft drinks. Who uses pop? Or soda? Or what?

Coke as a generic?  I have only heard of Cola as a generic. Coke is Coca-Cola to me.

It seemed every time we moved I had to call it something different, usually between pop or soda.  I'm so confused now. ;)

ChasSmith

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »

Can't say for sure, but I think I grew up in Ohio saying pop or soda pop.  The terms seem to be highly regional.  "Coke" as a generic is a Deep South thing, which of course is more or less Coke territory anyway.  I've been in the Northeast for more than two decades and I think "soda" is the preferred.  At some point earlier, probably in California, I started using "soft drinks" to describe all such things, and I could be wrong but I believe that's somewhat universal as the umbrella term.

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »

Coke as a generic?  I have only heard of Cola as a generic. Coke is Coca-Cola to me.

It seemed every time we moved I had to call it something different, usually between pop or soda.  I'm so confused now. ;)

"Cola" is generic, too, but just for the multitude of drinks that imitate Coke or Pepsi.  Diet-Rite Cola.  RC Cola.  Anyone remember Howard Johnson's reviled Ho-Jo Cola?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up