Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SODA POP  (Read 11140 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: SODA POP
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »

The smoke continues as does the demolition crew.  The crew should be gone tomorrow, wish the smoke would go as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »

Good news from DR MATTHEW.

Sorry to hear about your friend DR JOSE.....sad.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »

I like Vernor's.....although the first drink of it makes me cough a bit every time!  Or used to, since I don't imbibe now.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »

DR Jose, I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Jimmy.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »

On special occasions and holidays when I was a youngen, we would get a case of assorted flavors of soda from Crescent Beverages, a local company in Camden.  Aside from the standard flavors like cola, ginger ale and "7-up", they also had these incredible neon-colored concoctions such as lime, cherry and pineapple.  My favorite, though, was their cream soda.  I've found nothing else that has come close to that smooth flavor.

Another favorite of mine was from Frank's Sodas, another local company.  Black Cherry Wishniak.  Powerful cherry flavor and, like Coke, you didn't dare spill any of that on a car--it would eat right through the paint job!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:04 AM »

Cold soda in glass bottles was always the best.  Cans are okay, but only if they are very cold.  Plastic bottles are the worst.

It's difficult to buy an ice cold soda these days.  Most convenience store freezers are actually just front panels to a large storage rooms.  Easy for the workers to stock from behind, but only as cold as the managers are willing to keep the entire storage area, which usually isn't very cold at all...
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

Am I too theater-minded that my mind immediately thinks of Camden and Green when I see Camden, NJ?

FJL

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »

Is anyone in touch with Danise?

FJL

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »

Cold soda in glass bottles was always the best.  Cans are okay, but only if they are very cold.  Plastic bottles are the worst.

It's difficult to buy an ice cold soda these days.  Most convenience store freezers are actually just front panels to a large storage rooms.  Easy for the workers to stock from behind, but only as cold as the managers are willing to keep the entire storage area, which usually isn't very cold at all...

"Lukewarm cola" doesn't sound as appealing somehow

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »

Am I too theater-minded that my mind immediately thinks of Camden and Green when I see Camden, NJ?
Can one be too theater-minded?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »

On special occasions and holidays when I was a youngen, we would get a case of assorted flavors of soda from Crescent Beverages, a local company in Camden.  Aside from the standard flavors like cola, ginger ale and "7-up", they also had these incredible neon-colored concoctions such as lime, cherry and pineapple.  My favorite, though, was their cream soda.  I've found nothing else that has come close to that smooth flavor.

Another favorite of mine was from Frank's Sodas, another local company.  Black Cherry Wishniak.  Powerful cherry flavor and, like Coke, you didn't dare spill any of that on a car--it would eat right through the paint job!

Black Cherry, haven't even seen this in years.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »

Is anyone in touch with Danise?

She is still at work.  We shall have to wait for her news.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »

No DR FJL....that is not possible.

John G.

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »

Ask BK:

This is less a question than a request: In the podcast, you mentioned Fox movies. I'd like to point out one amazing title that has not been released. "Sun Valley Serenade" with a stereo Glenn Miller score, the Nicholas Brothers, John Payne, Milton Berle and, oh yeah, Sonja Henie. "Chattanooga Choo-Choo," "It Happened in Sun Valley," "The Kiss Polka" (OK, scratch that one), "Moonlight Serenade," "I Know Why and So Do You" -- great score.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »

And in the Ask Anyone category:

Here comes DR ChasSmith with another stupid podcast question!    ???

I'm trying to listen to (or download, if possible) the one here with Donald Feltham.  I get a 1 kb file called 392.smil which, when clicked, launches Real Player, but nothing else happens.  What am I doing wrong this time?

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: ASEPTIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  AS YOU DESIRE ME

Ben

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »

Charles, you're not doing anything wrong. It's INCREDIBLY slow. You literally have to wait more than a minute for anything to happen. Once it begins the clip will play through but it's broken into segments and once the segment is over it will take time for the next segment to load.

Unfortunately, because BK can't afford to upgrade the software for the entire site Donald's program is stuck in the past technologically because you must use Real Player to listen to the program. Streaming and audio feeds have skyrocketed past what this version of Real can do (even if you have the most current version 15) so you just need to be patient while listening to the show.

P.S. You can't "download" the show like you did with the other podcast. You have to listen to it in real time.

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »

Thank you SO much -- listening now!    :)

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »

I am having a craving for a soda pop. Something Black Cherry sounds so good as the temps rise towards 102 today in Salem, Oregon, 97301.

John G.

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

Just found a root beer barrel in a co-worker's candy dish. Haven't had one of those in years.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »

We haven't done this in a while here at HHW...so, how about we tell each other our stage names using your current or last pet's name and your current street name (if you live on a numbered street use the closest cross street name or a previous street name, whatever works).

My stage name would be Freddy Winter.

Of course, that sounds more like the name of a rockabilly singer  :)

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »

Were there any sodas that you did not like as a kid?

Orange Creme soda was never a favorite of mine, especially that concoction sold at Orange Julius. Blech. Or as some say, Fleh!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

Charles, you're not doing anything wrong. It's INCREDIBLY slow. You literally have to wait more than a minute for anything to happen. Once it begins the clip will play through but it's broken into segments and once the segment is over it will take time for the next segment to load.

Unfortunately, because BK can't afford to upgrade the software for the entire site Donald's program is stuck in the past technologically because you must use Real Player to listen to the program. Streaming and audio feeds have skyrocketed past what this version of Real can do (even if you have the most current version 15) so you just need to be patient while listening to the show.

P.S. You can't "download" the show like you did with the other podcast. You have to listen to it in real time.

That's not quite accurate - BK can afford to upgrade the software - but Mr. Mark Bakalor, who designed this site, did so with software that is now so old and antiquated that no one seems to know how to deal with it anymore - so we are stuck until I have the entire site redone - which has been in the works for over a year - but I'm not willing to touch anything until we find someone who understands the current version and can port over ALL the archived posts and everything.  Believe me, I hate it more than anyone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »

Back from a hasty but nice breakfast.  Mother and daughter had only forty minutes as they had to make a flight.

Ben

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »

Glad to know you're looking at updating. As much as I like listening to Donald it's a royal pain to do it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »

That podcast was excellent!  Well worth spending the time on.  Very nice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »

Believe me, no one wants to upgrade more than I.  I want video and better audio capability.  I want it less cumbersome.  I want to go back to our interviews.  I've been wanting all of it for years.  But that's what happens when you are so ahead of this game that what you began with, which was very cutting edge back in 2001, is a dinosaur by 2012.

John G.

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »

We haven't done this in a while here at HHW...so, how about we tell each other our stage names using your current or last pet's name and your current street name (if you live on a numbered street use the closest cross street name or a previous street name, whatever works).

My stage name would be Freddy Winter.

Of course, that sounds more like the name of a rockabilly singer  :)

J.B. Primwood, which sounds like a country singer that didn't quite make it.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »

I didn't really answer the TOD about my favorite sodas.

Coca-Cola -- now, then, and forever.  But I enjoy a Pepsi once in a great while, too.  I'm not one of "those".

Growing up, what I think we most commonly had around the house (when we had soda at all) was Coke, 7-Up, Root Beer, the occasional Vernor's, maybe some orange or grape thing.  In my earliest years, though, it was more like what someone else said:  Kool-Aid.  A soda was a real treat, most often enjoyed if we were eating out, grabbing a snack somewhere, stopping at a lunch counter, or getting a bottle out of a vending machine.

So...  Coke, the occasional Pepsi, and I now like trying various root beers, for a couple of reasons.  I can appreciate the sort of old-timey type of thing it is

(OH!!  Sorry to interrupt myself, but:  Birch Beer at Royal Castle.  South Florida in the 1960s.  I so miss that place.)

Where was I?  Root beers.  The other reason is that there's an incredible variety of them.  My go-to, however, is actually the ubiquitous A&W.  (Got a Proustian moment about that, too.)

For diet sodas, which is mostly what I indulge in on a routine basis now, it's:  Coke Zero (a godsend), diet Dr. Pepper, Diet A&W, and I, too, like that original chemical taste of TAB.  Isn't there still a saccharine version available somewhere?

Oh, and DR MBarnum mentioned orange creme sodas.  I generally don't like creme sodas (except the occasional root beer that's especially creamy -- that's just fine).  I did like Orange Julius, very much, though -- but only the way it was made at the O.J. stands in L.A. in the 1970s.  Tried one here a couple of years ago and it was a complete waste of taste bud expenditure.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:44:17 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »

That said, I might be one of the few people, anywhere, who has never tried a Dr. Brown's!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up