Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS!  (Read 23838 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:FIREWORKS!
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2004, 05:50:29 PM »

I changed my mind...the ABC Music Man IS as bad as I remembered it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2004, 05:52:13 PM »

Page Five Sparkler Dance!    ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2004, 06:03:59 PM »

Hmmmmmmm....heavy set black actress was introduced at Mrs. Squires in Pick a Little Talk a Little, but Jacey Squires a member of the school board quartet is white....what is happening?  And I don't remember Ethel being part of that group of gossipy women in the stage version...but I could be mistaken.

And the hat shop has a big sign that says J. Mapes Millinery....do you suppose that is an homage to Jacques Mapes - Ross Hunter's life partner who was a set decorator at MGM and Universal????

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2004, 06:04:29 PM »

Oh and Doris Day is to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  Have we discussed this before?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2004, 06:04:47 PM »

I am my own frenzy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2004, 06:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the fireworks.  I was missing them.  We will not be going out again tonight.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2004, 06:41:16 PM »

I can’t believe you are watching the remake of THE MUSIC MAN!  ::) I’m recording the end of YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.  I should have thought to look for it earlier.  Oh well.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2004, 06:55:40 PM »

Happy Fourth of July, everybody! I celebrated by eating two doughnuts and drinking a Cherry Coke.

I watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail on July 4th. Just because.

My dad just made my mom a nice big plate of salmon and cantaloupe. She's eating it. I'm about to vomit my doughnuts on the ground.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2004, 06:58:01 PM »

Sandra,  ;D.

What kind of doughnuts?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2004, 06:59:04 PM »

Krispy Kreme's chocolate iced creme filled. Yummy!!

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2004, 07:03:53 PM »

I think it was eating two creme filled doughnuts that made you sick, not the salmon cantaloupe combo.  :D  I have only tasted their glazed doughnuts and hope a store never opens in Ashland or I won't be able to resist.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2004, 07:10:17 PM »

Didn't watch it all...couldn't DRJANE....I just couldn't....

Local fireworks are going off now....GREAT!!!  Noisy and colorful!!!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2004, 07:11:13 PM »

I think it was eating two creme filled doughnuts that made you sick, not the salmon cantaloupe combo.  :D  

Have you ever watched someone eat salmon with cantaloupe? Or smelled it? :P

And I can eat more than two doughnuts at a clip before I get sick. I'm experienced.  ;)  

Jane

« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2004, 07:23:30 PM »

JRand when the movie originally aired we watched all of ten minutes before turning it off.

Sandra I was just reading about the 100-110 pound, depending on the contents of her stomach, 36 year old Korean woman who is ranked #2 in the world by the International Federation of Competitive Eating.  How many doughnuts can you eat?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2004, 07:27:04 PM »

Finally, someone gave us fireworks.  I had some good food at a barbecue and now I am back to partake of any and all posting frenzies.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2004, 07:31:56 PM »

Well I can't eat enough doughnuts to enter an eating competition, but I can get down three or four, five on a good day. I didn't try pushing it today.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 07:32:51 PM by Sandra »

Jane

« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2004, 07:37:17 PM »

Sandra,  ;D.  There was once a time I could do that but those days are long gone and I'm sure I'm healthier for it.

We are going to watch a DVD now.  I don't know what but we have a collection from Netflix waiting for us.

Goodnight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2004, 07:55:13 PM »

I am looking for a DVD as well....hmmmmmmmmm......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »

How did the callbacks go MRBK?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2004, 08:04:13 PM »

Good Evening!

The party my friend, Leigh, threw was quite nice.  Kind of a quiet affair, but that was a good thing.  And not too many people either.  The "estate" she's the groundskeeper for is quite nice: small main house, garage, old stable (converted into housing - where Leigh lives), a vegetable garden, flower gardens, swimming pool and a koi pond; all on about two and a half acres.  Quite a lovely setting for a 4th of July BBQ.  Hamburgers, hot dogs, sushi (yes, sushi here too), mac n' cheese(!), chinese style cole slaw, fruit salad, potato chips, etc.  The one strange omission from the table of food was any sort of dessert.  Apparently, everyone thought that everyone else would bring dessert... Ah, well... We ended up having four different - and delicious - varieties of devilled eggs.  I also got to meet two of Leigh's friends, one of whom, Leigh informed me, was/is single and available.  -And he looked nice in a swimsuit too. ;)

I left around 7:30, and then started flipping between the various 4th of July celebrations on TV once I got back to my parents' house.  Very interesting.

The Capital Fourth on PBS was OK.  Clay Aiken sang well - however, I forgot how "fast" his version of "God Bless the USA" went.  Vince Gill and Amy Grant - ugh.  But Yolanda Adams singing "Georgia" was pretty good - too bad she wasn't mic-ed well.  And then there was Barry Bostwick and Cicely Tyson...  Who's dressing these peope!?!?!?

I also checked in on "The Music Man" again too.  Ugh!  I really miss/ed the original dance arrangements.  And the modulation down(!) at the end of "Til There Was You"...  You can just here Matthew Broderick saying to himself, "What the hell am I doing singing with Kristin Chenoweth?!?!"

The Macy's thing on NBC didn't feature any of the Broadway people. -Unless I missed those whilst I was flipping.

And then the Boston Pops on CBS... on tape delay... I miss this being on A&E.

I then tried watching the Ford's Theatre Celebration on ABC.  Ugh! -It was a night for "ughs" on TV tonight.  This was taped back in March before Children of Eden opened.  I didn't realize that they taped it as a Fourth of July special.  Very strange.  -I had to turn it off after Jessica Simpson's amazingly oversung and unintelligible version of "Take My Breath Away".  UGH!  And you could tell her, "Happy Fourth!" as she was walking off the stage was truly an afterthought.

Ah, well...

So, now I'm sitting here typing away, and my nephew keeps popping by every few minutes to tell me all about the fireworks he saw tonight.  *And for some unknown reason, my niece and nephew kept wanting me to find pictures of hotels on the internet for them.  ???  They wanted to type in "hotel" in the Yahoo search box, but since that could have brought up a myriad of search results...  I just left them entertained on some hotel industry site that had pictures of all their various properties.  Just how they got on a hotel kick, I'll never know.

Well, I'm a bit tuckered out... I was going to drive back to Richmond tonight, but I'll do so instead some time tomorrow.  Besides, my nephew has more stories for me...  :D

Laters.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2004, 08:12:20 PM »

DR JRand wrote: "Whew....Audrey Hepburn does some really clumsy acting in CHARADE....her inflections and reactions are weird....not sure if it's the editing or the dubbing....but it ain't right."

Hoo, boy, do we disagree on that one! I think her performance is fetching, disarming, delightful, splendid. Can't imagine anyone doing it any better.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2004, 08:15:30 PM »

Had a wonderful time at the cookout this afternoon and early evening. We had shrimp on the barbee, potato salad, corn on the cob (cooked on the barbee), and a gooey, sinfully rich chocolate brownie for dessert.

OK, so I won't eat for the next week. It was worth it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »

Callbacks are tomorrow evening.  Just turned on a bit of The Music Man.  After hearing the awful CD I could never bring myself to look at this thing.  "Thing" is right.  What were they thinking?  I could forgive them, in a way, if they all hadn't been so cocky and vocal about how "old fashioned" and "theatrical" the original film is.  Note to the people who do these awful travesties: Learn.  The original film is perfect.  Why?  Because it is cast well, shot well, choreographed well, and trusts its material.  Victor Garber at Mayor Shinn?  Sorry.  Like Mr. Garber, but not as Mayor Shinn.  I don't remember the woman who plays his wife, but, either get Andrea Martin or someone of her ilk or don't do The Music Man.  Tommy and Zaneeta - maybe a little teenage exuberance would be nice, might provide a little energy.  I would not believe one thing Harold Hill said, at least as said by Mr. Broderick.  Marian the Librarian.  Do you think the creators sat down and had "creative" meetings about what they did with this number.  Note to creators: Watch the original - it's ABOUT something.  Note to director/choreographer: How hard can it be to watch some classic musicals so you might have a clue as to how musical numbers are designed for the screen?  They are not designed to be shot with multiple cameras "hoping" you get lucky in the editing room.  They are DESIGNED for the camera.  Each shot.  Each angle.  I finally had to turn it off.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2004, 08:32:44 PM »

I am very full of barbecue goodies. But I still can't get Bridge Mix(ture) out of my mind. Weird.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 08:48:41 PM by Panni »

td

• td
« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »

After a bit of 1776, I made a rash decision and decided to watch a James Bond movie on DVD, one that I hadn't seen:  TOMORROW NEVER DIES.  After a truly slow first half, things picked up incredibly fast and then a breathtaking motorcyle chase through the streets of Saigon really pepped things up.  After that there was barely time to breath before the finale.  Quite good, even if I have never really bought Brosnan as Bond.  Quite a lot of action packed into a less than two hour movie.  Jonathan Pryce is quite the old-fashioned villain, too.  Michelle Yeough (sp?) is a dynamo always on equal footing with Bond, while Teri Hatcher is wasted as a former flame.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2004, 09:03:11 PM »

Well, I'm home and filled with food.  We watched "Independence Day" and emotions were overly manipulated...as always. ::)  We didn't get to "1776."  Darn.  Oh, well.  Anyway, it was good to be with family and friends.  I hope everyone else had a good day. :D

Also, how was chat??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2004, 09:13:57 PM »

No chat tonight, DR George.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »

No chat tonight, DR George.

Thanks for the info.  My housemate needs the computer.  Be back later!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 09:14:57 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2004, 09:16:31 PM »

Major fireworks going on at CBS Radford, all clearly visible from my home environment.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2004, 09:43:02 PM »

Saw the fireworks from my home environment, also. Didn't watch the whole thing, but the red, white and blue finale was grand.
What was not grand was stepping on a firecracker of some kind as I walked down the driveway back to the house. I do NOT do well with sudden loud noises. Almost had a heart attack.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up