Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN  (Read 7899 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 06:19:53 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:04 AM »

One of my favorite hotels had a name right out of a comedy routine.  It was called THE Hotel in Las Vegas

http://www.mandalaybay.com/accommodations/thehotel/

Which hotel are you going to?

THE Hotel.

Yeah I know you;re going to the hotel, but which hotel?

THE Hotel.

But it was a great hotel!!!!!!  And great prices when we went.  Which is why my value-minded family chose it.

John G.

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:47 AM »

TOD: I once went on a business junket to New York where I put up at the Rihga Royal Suites or something like that. The nightly rate was more than my monthly mortgage is now. There was a sitting room with the then-trendy fax machine displayed like some objet d'art. The bedroom was nice with a comfortable bed. But the bathroom was spectacular. It had a walk-in shower, plus a jacuzzi tub. Double vanities. A heated toilet seat with built-in bidet and its own remote control that had more functions than anyone had time to learn.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 06:35:19 AM »

Pics!  Sorry for large post.  These are reduced from original size, but someone please let me know if they should be still smaller for posting here.

Lanny Meyers:

Lanny, East Coast Singer in booth, violinist/contractor standing:

Lanny and BK:

Holly, BK, Pro Tools guru, engineer:

Kerry

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »

Good Tuesday vibes for all.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 07:17:44 AM »

Thanks for the pics DR CHAS SMITH!!!  Great.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 07:19:13 AM »

If this works correctly, you will see the beginnings of our set for SEE HOW THEY RUN.  The chairs are really green, so I don't know what happened in the pics.....I didn't take them.

Last night our directors told us we were "approaching funny" ... so I guess we're on the right track.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »

Tonight:  Act One.

FJL

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 07:39:34 AM »

Jrand - Is "approaching funny" anything like "reaching nirvana" perhaps?

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  I didn't sleep very well last night, but slept too late this morning to get myself in gear for water aerobics.  Soon I must get myself out to Kroger to pick up my Mom's prescriptions and deliver them to her.  I'll go to the Y with Richard later.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »

DR ChasSmith - thank you so much for the recording session photos!  Wish we could have been there...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »

Yes, ChasSmith. Thanks for the photos. It's always fun seeing pros at work.

So, Elmore, where are the photos of the Irish recording sessions?
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:41 AM »

In the "Well, I never knew that department," we read in this morning's paper that Phyllis Diller was from Lima, OH.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »

In the "Wow, I hadn't heard that department," Rosie O'Donnell is recovering from a heart attack that sounds very similar to the one I had 2 years ago.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:49 AM »

Jrand - Is "approaching funny" anything like "reaching nirvana" perhaps?

Exactly like it, I'm sure.  I will let you know if we reach it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »

TOD

Claremont Resort in Berkeley, CA, on a biz trip.  Our company was once a division of Clorox which is headquartered in Oakland and that's one the places they'd put people up.  I was in the older section and the room was totally charming, with a beautifully modernized bathroom.  The cheeseburger, garlic fries, and whatever red wine I ordered from room service the first night were so incredibly good that I kept repeating the order, and they never varied in quality.  Had a great steak dinner in the dining room at one point, and breakfast in the dining room was just as wonderful, with eggs so perfectly prepared there should be a picture of them, and the most delicious butter on sourdough bread that, for my taste buds' taste, has yet to be equaled.  The hotel is in a beautiful setting at the edge of the hills, and of course the whole area is to die for anyhoo.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:56 AM »

Vibes to one and all!!

REcording vibes to BK and Elmore...

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 08:47:17 AM »

Good day to one and all!

Great pictures Chas...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »

I only met Phyllis Diller once, at a book signing while I was still in high school.  I believe I skipped a couple of afternoon classes in order to get to the Mall on time.  She was absolutely delightful; and she kept all of us entertained while we waited for our chance to get our copy of her book signed.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »

I'm back & just want to take a nap.

I'll have to catch up on DR elmore's Dublin trip.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »

I returned home late last night to the report that Phyllis Diller passed away.

I was sad to hear of the passing of Phyllis Diller. I had the opportunity to meet her twice both working on the Julie Amato show in Canada. It was education watching her perform. Even had drinks after the show. It was during a break in the taping where the director Stan Jacobson asked her for a joke and she proceeded to tell the dirtiest joke I ever heard. I was sitting on a stool in the control booth and I literally fell off it. Afterwards I asked her about the joke and she told me that was the kind of humor women had to do in order to get noticed. But she refined her act to the one that we all know and love. And by fluke I found the show> Apr 5, 1977 - Julie Amato and Phyllis Diller spoof Mother Goose. Julie sings "You Make Me Feel like Dancing" and "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?"

Thank you for sharing your personal story.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »

Phyllis Diller was a true original.....unfortunately her stab at a network television series was pretty lame - the premise was not a good fit for her.....and it was....well not very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--fk7HzTipI&feature=related

My late friend John was president of one of her fan clubs - and I met her with him when she did a show in Indy way back in the 20th century.....she was a most entertaining lady quite unlike her public persona....at least with us.

I like reading about the person she was offstage.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 09:15:12 AM »

Whilst driving around in the motor, I noticed that the sound from the stereo was coming through on only one of the two speakers. A bit of Googling indicated that this was a common fault and was due to the wiring between the car and door having snapped (all that opening and closing the door). I was able to reconnect the snapped wires by adding some speaker cable wrapped with insulating tape. Simple, but it did the trick. Being useless at fixing anything to do with cars, I now feel quite proud of myself. 

:)

Jane

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »

One of my favorite hotels had a name right out of a comedy routine.  It was called THE Hotel in Las Vegas

http://www.mandalaybay.com/accommodations/thehotel/

Which hotel are you going to?

THE Hotel.

Yeah I know you;re going to the hotel, but which hotel?

THE Hotel.

But it was a great hotel!!!!!!  And great prices when we went.  Which is why my value-minded family chose it.

Funny.

It must be somewhat new.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »

Thanks for the pics DR CHAS SMITH!!!  Great.

Ditto though I have to read the back story on them.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »

In the "Wow, I hadn't heard that department," Rosie O'Donnell is recovering from a heart attack that sounds very similar to the one I had 2 years ago.

Wow!  I hope she takes good care of herself like you have been doing.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 09:21:03 AM »

So many stories on Phyllis Diller, and all nice.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »

TOD:  Hotels

Well, yesterday, I mentioned the Duke's Hotel, a really elegant boutique hotel where I spent my first month in London when I was there in '83 shooting my Sherlock Holmes films.  The Lovely Wife and I still do a pilgrimage to the Duke's Bar everytime we're there for an afternoon drink and sit at a cozy table near the window. It's usually a late Sunday afternoon when the place is very quiet.  All the wait staff are Italian and charming. The bar is known for its martiinis.

Another great hotel we've stayed at several times is the San Ysidro Ranch in Monticeito, California.  It has a series of bungalows, each with fireplaces.  The Stonehouse Restaurant was certainly one of the best restaurants in Southern, California.  We used to go to San Ysidro for our anniversary and even when we didn't spend the night there, we would often drive up for our anniversary to spend the day in nearby Santa Barbara and have lunch or dinner at the restaurant.

Since moving back to Kentucky, we've had some lovely stays at The Netherlands Hotel in Cincinnati, an art deco hotel with views of the Ohio River or downtown Cincinnati.  They again have a first-class five star restaurant where we've had some superb meals.  They also have a great piano bar where the pianist plays the Great American Songbook.  Really nice old school living.

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 09:38:41 AM »

One more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up