Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN  (Read 7903 times)

ChasSmith

Re: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »

Now horrible hotels/motels -- there are many stories about those. Oy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »

Best experience: Teh Netherlander in Cincinnati

Worst: Super 8 in Butte, MT
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »

Now horrible hotels/motels -- there are many stories about those. Oy.

There was the time when the maid let herself in at 3:00 am and woke me up to tell me I shouldn't be in that room (she was Miss Informed.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »

TOD:

Sheraton Bal Harbor in Miami Beach!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »

TOD:

I think all of my hotel/motel/notell stays have been nice. My favorite one, I think, was The Hollywood Orchid Hotel which is off Franklin, and just behind the Graumann's Chinese Theatre.

The room was as big as my old house and it had a full kitchen and dining room! Yet the price was quite inexpensive. The location was great since it was one block from Hollywood Blvd.

Staying at The Hollywood Orchid coincided with my birthday trip to see BK's first run of THE BRAIN...oh, gosh that was such a fun trip!

I think I should stay there again, next trip...which will hopefully be in 2013.

Oh, and British actor David Harewood (Blood Diamond, Dr. Who) was staying there at the same time. He was in town to find an agent for work in Hollywood...looking at his IMDB listing though, that must not have gone well.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »

DR ChasSmith, so glad you got to meet some of the NY HHWers! And thanks for the photos! Hope you get to meet NYorkers DR Elmore and DR JosePiano, eventually.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »

It is really wonderful to hear all of these nice stories about Phyllis Diller. Makes me want to watch BOY, DID I GET THE WRONG NUMBER again.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

My hotel stay, for just one night, at a fancy place near Narita airport in Japan was pretty darn swell, as I recall. Can't remember the name of the place, though. I will need to dig through my bag of stuff from that trip...none of which has been sorted or placed in photo albums yet, even after all these years. Still sitting in the bag I carried them home from Japan in. LOL!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »

I want to pull out MAD MONSTER PARTY again and here Phyl Dill sing!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »

DR MBarnum, I met DRs Elmore, FJL, Ben, and an E&T "Producer Julie" when BK was here back in June.

Agree about BOY DID I GET A WRONG NUMBER.  I probably haven't even seen it since the year it was released, but I always recalled it being the most delightful thing the night I saw it.

John G.

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2012, 10:15:48 AM »

Worst hotel experience was the place in Guatemala on Lago Atitlan. No power in the room. No running water. There was one toilet for the staff that we could use when they weren't using it. We had to bathe in the lake. We were there for two days. I guess for $2 a night, one should not be picky, but ...

Then there was the place in Rio de Janiero. It was a whole $4 a night, but Rio was expensive. No air condition and the temperature only dropped to 104 after dark. I was so hungover that I could barely crawl to the restroom down the hall to get turn on the tap to run cold water on my face.

Then there was the time on a family trip through the Deep South where we stayed in a horror of a place in Memphis that was chosen because it was the cheapest rate in the whole city. The chlorine level in the pool was so heavy you could smell it in the rooms even with the doors shut and the faulty window air conditioners working. But the sounds of the truckers having sex next door really capped it. Not what you want to hear when crammed in a room with five other family members!

The next trip I made to Memphis after that was for the World's Fair. We were there for a preview the day before it opened to the public. The place  where we were supposed to stay was in a converted warehouse that had been turned into something akin to a concentration camp. Doors on either side of the room, a bed and a fire extinguisher. Nothing else. Not even a closet or a sink. The work hadn't been finished, so we had to stay some place much nicer than that. I wonder if that place ever opened. I would never figure it would have received a certificate of occupancy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »

(Note to self:  Don't seek accommodations advice from DR John G.)

ChasSmith

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »

Worst hotel experience:  The Palmer House in Chicago -- which was actually okay AFTER they got me assigned to another room.  The one I checked into had someone's clothes in the dresser drawer, tipping me off to looking around further to discover that the bathroom was also in used condition.  I'd refused the assistance of a bellhop, and to this day I'm thankful that the occupant wasn't there when I let myself in.

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »

Worst motel:  Red Roof Inn on the east side of Cincinnati -- where I'd stayed a few times prior to that after they'd just renovated, but at least in this one room a couple of years hence it all just fell apart.  Nothing worked, the jernt looked like the previous occupant might have tried to kill someone using the infrastructure of the room as murder weapon, and the management was completely unresponsive to my list of things that needed attention.  I never looked back.

(The good news is that, in not looking back, I found the Best Western across the street to be one of the finest managed motels in my experience in recent years.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:28:54 AM by ChasSmith »

John G.

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »

My luck with New York hotels (excluding the aforementioned Rihga) is that near the entrance, I will invariably encounter a lady of the evening who will ask me if I want a shave. This has happened at three separate hotels. I wonder if I'm the subject of some type of profiling. 
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »

Thufferin' Thuccotath!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

Strangest experience:

This didn't happen at a hotel, but on one of my trips to the Omega Institute, I checked in and went to my cabin to await my duffle bag to be delivered.  I waited and waited and waited but no bag.  I finally went to guest services and told them my bag had not shown up yet.  They said they would investigate and to come back in an hour.  When I came back into the office, I spotted my distinctive green and purple canvas bag laying on the floor.  Even though the guest services woman was shouting "No!  No!  THat's not your bag!", I still stooped down to open the main compartment and found--ladies underwear.  And a lot of other stuff that wasn't mine.  It took me a while to wrap my mind around what the guest services woman was telling me:  that a woman from NYC had just checked out of the same cabin that I was now staying in and that she had a duffle bag identical in make and color to mine.  Of course, she had already made it back to her place in the city before she realized she had the wrong bag and she couldn't drive back until the next morning (Omega is about 90 miles up river from NYC.)  A bit of an inconvience for me, but I still thought it was an amazing coincidence.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »

Strangest experience:

This didn't happen at a hotel, but on one of my trips to the Omega Institute, I checked in and went to my cabin to await my duffle bag to be delivered.  I waited and waited and waited but no bag.  I finally went to guest services and told them my bag had not shown up yet.  They said they would investigate and to come back in an hour.  When I came back into the office, I spotted my distinctive green and purple canvas bag laying on the floor.  Even though the guest services woman was shouting "No!  No!  THat's not your bag!", I still stooped down to open the main compartment and found--ladies underwear.  And a lot of other stuff that wasn't mine.  It took me a while to wrap my mind around what the guest services woman was telling me:  that a woman from NYC had just checked out of the same cabin that I was now staying in and that she had a duffle bag identical in make and color to mine.  Of course, she had already made it back to her place in the city before she realized she had the wrong bag and she couldn't drive back until the next morning (Omega is about 90 miles up river from NYC.)  A bit of an inconvience for me, but I still thought it was an amazing coincidence.

Wow...very strange!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »

DR ChasSmith - thank you so much for the recording session photos!  Wish we could have been there...

Ditto and Ditto!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »

Laura

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »

Just in case DR Megan checks in today, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »

Strangest experience:

Wow...very strange!
Strange, indeed.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »

Whisper her name...................

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »

I shall now be off to rehearsal of ACT ONE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »

Perhaps we will be "approaching funny" once again.

John G.

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

Approaching funny vibes for JRand.
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »

Ye gods!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up