Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN  (Read 7942 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

Hello, everyone.

It's interesting that the hotel horror stories are so much more memorable than the good ones.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:45 PM »

My luck with New York hotels (excluding the aforementioned Rihga) is that near the entrance, I will invariably encounter a lady of the evening who will ask me if I want a shave. This has happened at three separate hotels. I wonder if I'm the subject of some type of profiling. 

;D ;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »

Strangest experience:

This didn't happen at a hotel, but on one of my trips to the Omega Institute, I checked in and went to my cabin to await my duffle bag to be delivered.  I waited and waited and waited but no bag.  I finally went to guest services and told them my bag had not shown up yet.  They said they would investigate and to come back in an hour.  When I came back into the office, I spotted my distinctive green and purple canvas bag laying on the floor.  Even though the guest services woman was shouting "No!  No!  THat's not your bag!", I still stooped down to open the main compartment and found--ladies underwear.  And a lot of other stuff that wasn't mine.  It took me a while to wrap my mind around what the guest services woman was telling me:  that a woman from NYC had just checked out of the same cabin that I was now staying in and that she had a duffle bag identical in make and color to mine.  Of course, she had already made it back to her place in the city before she realized she had the wrong bag and she couldn't drive back until the next morning (Omega is about 90 miles up river from NYC.)  A bit of an inconvience for me, but I still thought it was an amazing coincidence.

How funny.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »

When I lived in San Diego county many moons ago, my then-boyfriend and I used to like to drive to the little mountain town of Julian. We discovered a most intriguing B&B there. Our first stay was rather conventional, ie, we stayed in the main house. However, there was a large tree in the rear of the house and they had built a tree house into it. No insulation, so it could get very hot or very cold. No bathroom--you had to come into the main house. Not really all that comfortable, but very fun. One night was enough. We had had our little adventure and then opted for comfort.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »

Thanks for the recording session photos, DR Chas. I'm looking forward to hearing the CD.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »

Worst hotel experience #1:
A NYC hotel, can't recall which one. I was on a business trip and it was my first trip to NYC. It was a tiny, unattractive room, but the worst of it was the NOISE. My neighbor on one side had his TV BLARING, and the neighbor on the other side had his BLARING, too, but to a different station. I had to be up early the next morning to give a presentation. Ugh.

Worst hotel experience #2:
Howard Johnson's in Galveston. The shower didn't work properly, the whole place was the pits. Of course, the young guy working there could care less.

Worst hotel experience #3:
On a business trip with several co-workers to Fullerton, CA, I think. Our secretary had booked us into this "great deal" she'd found. When we got there we discovered it was right next to the train tracks (yes, trains during the night) and there were bugs in the rooms.  Ugh.

I could probably recall some more, but I'll stop here. I do NOT miss business travel!!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

TTFN.

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »

Perhaps we will be "approaching funny" once again.

Use caution though, and no quick movements. You don't want to scare it away.

Michael

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

That's Entertainment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7YLBXauWc

That is from the Hollywood Palace.

BK
Any stories about the Hollywood Palace?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking.  Please fasten your seatbelts as we are approaching funny and are about to begin our descent into hilarity..."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »

Now horrible hotels/motels -- there are many stories about those. Oy.

There was the time when the maid let herself in at 3:00 am and woke me up to tell me I shouldn't be in that room (she was Miss Informed.)

That is worse than the time we were woken around 6:00AM.  Had there been a do not disturb sign it wouldn't have happened.  I can't even remember where we were, just that it was the first night & we were recovering from jet lag & an all night flight.  Oh then there was the time in the Pocono's, sign was out, & the maid almost walked in at THE WRONG time ;)

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »

Well, I had a little adventure at the Y today.  My combination lock, which I bought at Target when we joined the Y 3 months ago, was sticking a bit yesterday and took a couple of tries to open it.  Same thing today when I finished my workout and got into my locker to get my shower stuff.  After my shower, I could not open the lock even with multiple tries.  Several other people tried and finally we had to have it cut off by 2 of the young lady staffers and a very muscular young man named Chris.  It was very embarrassing and now I have to buy a new lock.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »

Well, I had a little adventure at the Y today.  My combination lock, which I bought at Target when we joined the Y 3 months ago, was sticking a bit yesterday and took a couple of tries to open it.  Same thing today when I finished my workout and got into my locker to get my shower stuff.  After my shower, I could not open the lock even with multiple tries.  Several other people tried and finally we had to have it cut off by 2 of the young lady staffers and a very muscular young man named Chris.  It was very embarrassing and now I have to buy a new lock.

Sounds like the plot of a musical to me!

Jane

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »

While we have stayed in many dives I've also been lucky to stay in many wonderful hotels.  On our anniversary trip to Italy we stayed in the Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees in Stressa, originally a villa

Jane

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »

Our room had a view of Lake Maggiore.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »

We we traveled through Germany we stayed at a number of hotels that were part of the Romantic group.  Each one was different, and very romantic.  Unfortunately I don't remember the names of the hotels.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »

I'm home and off to rehearsal.   Will ketchup tomorrow.   :)

Jane

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »

In Budapest we stayed at the Le Meridian.  The entire time Keith kept commenting it was his favorite hotel.  I can't fin photos to do it justice.  There was a beautiful glass dome over the dining area.  The hallways were open and designed to look like balconies.  Our room was upgraded to a suite with a second bathroom in the living room.  The decor was elegant & warm.

There was a back patio with tables off of a side street with no car traffic, a few shops & just enough foot traffic to be interesting.  We would sit there in the afternoons & have drinks and a snack, usually a yummy pastry.

Laura

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »

I really don't have much to say about today's topic. Because, you know, Motel 6 is pretty much the same everywhere.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2012, 06:36:06 PM »

Interesting sky tonight.

We had some huge storm cells blow through town last night. Lots of damage in Mesa and Tempe. But it all totally missed my house. Not a drop of rain. Pretty lightning in the sunset's pink clouds, though.

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2012, 06:37:18 PM »

Sounds like the plot of a musical to me!

You're too kind, DR FJL!  It sounds more like the Gloria Upson "And then I stepped on the ping pong ball" story from AUNTIE MAME to me.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »

The last two nights, the church's alarm has been putting out a false alarm. The guy was there to fix it yesterday, but it started up again last night.

Shortly, we will be coming off of a 24-hour disregard order (so they wouldn't keep calling me all night and day every few minutes). I wonder if the guy who repaired it today really fixed it. We'll know in about an hour.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »

Good luck DR Laura!

Jane

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »

Keith & I each got a new keyboard & mouse today.  We picked out the same one.  It is nice not to have them sticking all the time.  Keith also got a new computer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »

Good Evening!

We had another wonderful day of auditions. It was so wonderful that we ended up using our whole session as scheduled. Alas, that meant not being able to check in with bk during his recording sessions.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »

DR ChasSmith - Thanks for the recording session photos.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) - That's a cool story!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »

Page four?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »

Back from another long but fun session.  We had just rhythm, harp, one reed, percussion and guitar today.  I made some key suggestions on two charts and Lanny agreed with them and both tunes perked right up.  After the session, which wrapped an hour early, some of us went to Joe Allen for a celebration dinner.  Since I'd had a wrap for lunch, I had a shrimp cocktail, small Caesar, and I split some guacamole with some people.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up