Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET  (Read 28580 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2004, 11:36:09 AM »

Finally found a description from yesterday (by JR) of a small town July 4th. I was going to note it at the time, but didn't. Went through several pages of posts, but found it.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2004, 11:37:07 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

I can't say I am as familiar with the oeuvre as I'd like to be, but I am completely enthralled every time I see a cartoon out of the Max Fleischer studio.  I especially enjoy the shorts featuring Miss Betty Boop.  Many of the ones I've seen are totally subversive which, as you might imagine, appeal in great measure to my very warped sense of humor.

Quick recollection: A few years ago, there was a Betty Boop retrospective at a local theater (I believe the Film Forum). One favorite featured Betty on a cannibal-laden desert island. As the natives converged on our heroine jabbering away in prototypical "oogah-booga" fashion, a very distinct "shalom aleichem" was heard. I really couldn't tell you what happened during the next five minutes, as I was too busy being doubled over screaming with laughter.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2004, 11:40:46 AM »

Danise you are too nice.  Some people find sitting at a desk more difficult to do than working outside.  Also I suggest you get some Tecnu if a rash breaks out.  Echo gave me poison oak just before we left on our trip so I packed a small bottle of Tecnu and used it twice a day.  I was so happy it popped up before I left home and not the afternoon after.  I also used a hydrocortisone ointment after the Tecnu.

Sandra we don’t get PBS. :(

For Danise and other lovers of the show, STARGATE returns Friday night.  :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2004, 11:41:49 AM »

Daffy and Bugs. Tom & Jerry. Sylvester & Tweety and Donald with the Chippendales.

The Chippendale Dancers had their own cartoon??  Where was I?  I'd love to see that one!

Otherwise, I like Sylvester and Tweety, Foghorn Leghorn, Donald AND Daffy Duck (cousins??), Bugs Bunny (of course), the South Park kids, Futurama, Under Dog, as well as the very early Popeye (does anyone know why or when Brutus became Bluto...or vice versa?)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:42:07 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2004, 11:44:57 AM »

Much more creative, however, was "Little Brown Jug," which starred none of the usual suspects, but took place upon a page of music, with the notes themselves the characters.  Everything was going fine within this community, until one of the notes showed up drunk!  It's the sort of story that can only be told with animation.

Does anyone remember the Michigan J. Frog cartoon?  I remember watching it as a kid.  The last couple of times I saw it on TV, it was edited!   The last time that I saw it on TV, they show the guy getting the frog and when rents the theater, he puts out a sign that says "Admission."  No one enters.  He changes the sign to "Free Admission" and EVERYONE rushes in.  What I remember from when I was a kid is that he did put up the sign "Admission" and no one came in.  He then changed the sign to "Free Admission" and still no one came in.  THEN he changes the sign to "FREE BEER" and THAT'S when everyone rushed in...and if you watch carefully, you can see that they're all adult men who appeared (to me, at least) to be shabbily dressed.  Anyone else remember this?? ::)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:45:49 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2004, 11:44:58 AM »

Elan that is great.  ;D Keith and I love watching some of the old shows they are so unintentionally funny.  Well, I think it was unintentional.

Emily

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »

Arthur kicks booty.  

Long live "Binky" the robotic Scandinavian pop group! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2004, 11:55:17 AM »

Posted last night by Dear Reader George:
I had to post this one post.  At my last post, Jay and I were tied with 1402 posts each!  Now I've just passed him!

George

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2004, 11:55:26 AM »

Confidential to Dear Reader George:

George

George

George

George

George

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2004, 11:56:03 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

George

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2004, 11:56:42 AM »

Jay,
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Of course, you realize...this means war!  (a Bugs Bunny reference!!) ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2004, 12:08:02 PM »

I remember that sign in the "frog" cartoon DRGEORGE....LOL.

And of course THE SIMPSONS.

I think the bully was Bluto through the Fleischer & Paramount Popeye cartoons, but became Brutus in the made for TV Popeye cartoons of the early 60's (?).  I like some of the Popeye cartoons....including Olive's Moving Day, If I Were President, Olive on the battleship, and Popeye as Aladdin!

Thanks for vibes Danise!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »

Keith and I love watching some of the old shows they are so unintentionally funny.  Well, I think it was unintentional.

Like Dark Shadows?  LOL!

The itching is starting to fade.  I had the CalaGel out, just in case.  I like it better than the calamine lotion.  Not as runny.

I can't wait for the new StarGates!

I watched some of my favorite Babylon 5 episodes yesterday.  I miss it.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2004, 12:15:13 PM »

I think the internet is wonderful! I accidently came across a site with an old friend of mine who I literally thought had died. He had cancer and was recovering and then one day when I called him his phone was disconnected and spent years trying to find him and then bang! He had given up practising medicine and went back to school in Toronto Canada. I spoke with him on the phone today and it was like the 6 years or sp had never been!! He also told me to how to contact two other friends from Montreal who also had moved on. One is in San Fran and the other in NYC (Queens)!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2004, 12:18:13 PM »

Keith just called he is tired but feeling somewhat okay after working out.  I’m feeling better too.  I still have a cold but my throat isn’t as sore and I’m not so tired.  Back to cleaning while I still have energy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2004, 12:19:20 PM »

http://members.cox.net/mulvanedepot/town%20histories/old_settlers.htm

DRPANNI here is another description of a town fair....usually called the Old Settler's Picnic!

Pitching horseshoes was a man's activity....and for the ladies there was the pancake race and the nail driving contest!

Danise

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2004, 12:19:35 PM »

Ok, call me crazy but has anyone here seen the commercial about aspirin with the song that starts, "Pump, Pumps....your blood"?  Now I might be totally off my rocker but I seem to remember (don't ask me why) that same song being sung during a Happy Days episode where one of the guys used that song to pass a test in his biology class.  

Am I crazy or does anyone else remember that?

Your very welcome, Jrand and I do wish you the best.  

I don’t know about being to good, Jane.  I just know what it’s like to work like a dog and not get paid for it.  It does make you look at things a bit different.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2004, 12:20:43 PM »

He also told me to how to contact two other friends from Montreal who also had moved on. One is in San Fran and the other in NYC (Queens)!!!

Are you referring to the friends or the borough?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2004, 12:21:15 PM »

Ah yes, DRDANISE...Dark Shadows.  My favorite thing they did....and they ALWAYS did it.....was come in close on a character who would say something like:

"Yes, but did you know your sister was a vampire?"  BIG MUSIC....FADE OUT....then commercial.....come back to show...same closeup...character says:  "But never mind about that....what about......"  LOL

Jay

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2004, 12:22:41 PM »

Am I crazy or does anyone else remember that?  

Has it occurred to you, Dear Reader Danise, that those could be mutually exclusive concepts?

;)

Jane

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2004, 12:23:17 PM »

Michael Shayne it is always nice to connect with old friends, especially to find them well.  

Thanks to you, through me, my brother was able to answer a crossword puzzle regarding Brett Halliday.  He was very pleased about that. :D

Jay

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2004, 12:24:15 PM »

No time for war when the local cinema beckons.  I'm off to see The Terminal.  Will report back upon my return.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2004, 12:25:47 PM »

How could I forget Rocky & Bullwinkle...and the whole Jay Ward repertoire...Always liked Super Chicken, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred."  It's become one of my oft-used catch-phrases.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 12:26:33 PM by Charles Pogue »

Danise

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2004, 12:28:24 PM »

Jrand, I love the music-- Dum, Dum, DUM!!!  And Dr. Hoffman who screamed like a plucked chicken.   ;D

Jay--LOL!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2004, 12:28:53 PM »

No time for war when the local cinema beckons.  I'm off to see The Terminal.  Will report back upon my return.

Enjoy the movie, Jay!

George

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2004, 12:29:24 PM »

Jay, everyone I know whe has seen the movie has really enjoyed it!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up