Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LABOR DAY LABORS  (Read 9734 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: LABOR DAY LABORS
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:37 AM »

TOD:

Hmmmmmmm......probably some of the silent Our Gang comedies that were interspersed on television with the Little Rascals shorts.

There used to also be a show on Thursday nights on ABC, I think, hosted by Hans Conreid titled Silents Please - they showed several condensed silent films.....  I remember Phantom of the Opera, Orphans in the Storm, and Way Down East......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »

Reviewing my lines now.....and it seems we are looking for a NEW stage manager.....  Oh well.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33:23 AM »

TOD:  Probably some Chaplin shorts.  I don't really recall.  I do know I went to see BIRTH OF A NATION in college...and was both appalled by its racism and actors in blackface and awed by its cinematic story-telling.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »

My biggest discovery in loving silent movies were two films with John Barrymore...Don Juan and Beloved Rogue.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 06:39:08 AM »

Hans Conried!  I loved "Fractured Flickers", and those were always silents, right?

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »

Vibes for DR Jose's sister-in-law. Although at 35 weeks hopefully the baby will be fine.  Hope she can stay a few more weeks. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John G.

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »

Vibes for DR Jose's sister-in-law. Although at 35 weeks hopefully the baby will be fine.  Hope she can stay a few more weeks. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A double dose.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 07:13:18 AM »

DR Elmore --

Speaking of McGlinn, I got the chance to listen to the BRIGADOON straight through, and for my money it's really fine.  Did you like this one?  What else is essential McGlinn?  I have ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, BRIGADOON, KISS ME KATE, SHOW BOAT...  don't remember what else off the top of my head.
Ithink the only show recordings you are missing are the so-so ANYTHING GOES (EMI), which does include the original score, and the wonderful SITTING PRETTY (New World), with the magic "The Enchanted Train." There are these EMI compilations he did before he was sacked:
1. Kiri te Kanawa Sings Gershwin
2. Gershwin Overtures
3. Porter Overtures
4. Kern Overtures
5. My Funny Valentine: Fredrica von Stade Sings Rodgers & Hart
6. Night and Day: Thomas Hampson Sings Cole Porter
7. Lambert Wilson: Musicals (off-pitch singing from a film actor dabbling in musicals)
8. Kurt Weill on Broadway
9. Kim Criswell: The Lorelei
10.. Songs of New York: East side West Side (Book-of-the-Month Club)

I worked on ANYTHING GOES and 1, 2, 5, and 10, which was my first recording with McGlinn. My favorites are 5 & 6, both quite delightful.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:19:25 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »

TOD:

Hmmmmmmm......probably some of the silent Our Gang comedies that were interspersed on television with the Little Rascals shorts.

There used to also be a show on Thursday nights on ABC, I think, hosted by Hans Conreid titled Silents Please - they showed several condensed silent films.....  I remember Phantom of the Opera, Orphans in the Storm, and Way Down East......

Me, too, Jack!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 07:14:13 AM »

"Lonesome" just added to the library and now on my reserve list.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 07:16:29 AM »

TOD:

My first silent film was a Chaplin comedy, probably one he made for Sennett.  I don't know the title.

My silent "discoveries"? 

Garbo in FLESH AND THE DEVIL
CITY LIGHTS
STEAMBOAT BILL JR.
SUNRISE

You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2012, 07:16:49 AM »

DR Elmore --

Speaking of McGlinn, I got the chance to listen to the BRIGADOON straight through, and for my money it's really fine.  Did you like this one?  What else is essential McGlinn?  I have ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, BRIGADOON, KISS ME KATE, SHOW BOAT...  don't remember what else off the top of my head.
Ithink the only show recordings you are missing are the so-so ANYTHING GOES (EMI), which does include the original score, and the wonderful SITTING PRETTY (New World), with the magic "The Enchanted Train." There are these EMI compilations he did before he was sacked:
2. Gershwin Overtures
3. Porter Overtures
4. Kern Overtures
7. Lambert Wilson: Musicals (off-pitch singing)
9. Songs of New York: East side West Side (Book-of-the-Month Club)

I worked on ANYTHING GOES and 1, 2, 5, and 9, which was my first recording with McGlinn. My favorites are 5 & 6, both quite delightful.

I love that Porter Overtures album and Sitting Pretty (I love "Mr. and Mrs. Rorer," but then again it's a kind of cooking song).

There's also the Kern Treasury album and the Broadway Showstoppers album.

― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 07:18:53 AM »

DR Elmore --

2. Gershwin Overtures
3. Porter Overtures
4. Kern Overtures

I worked on ANYTHING GOES and 1, 2, 5, and 9, which was my first recording with McGlinn. My favorites are 5 & 6, both quite delightful.

I love that Porter Overtures album and Sitting Pretty (I love "Mr. and Mrs. Rorer," but then again it's a kind of cooking song).

I forgot both of those and the Busby Berkey Album, too.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »

Thank you, gents.  I'm printing those out.

Whilst enjoying a few sausage burritos from McDonald's -- and I didn't even have any tequila!

John G.

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:20 AM »

DR Elmore --

2. Gershwin Overtures
3. Porter Overtures
4. Kern Overtures

I forgot both of those and the Busby Berkey Album, too.
Brent Barrett has quite a few nice numbers on that Berkeley album.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2012, 07:56:50 AM »

Hans Conried!  I loved "Fractured Flickers", and those were always silents, right?

Oh no!  I think I mixed these two shows up.

It seems Ernie Kovacs was the narrator of Silents, Please.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »

I'm wondering:  Did the guy who wrote "Ring Them Bells" ever see "Lonesome"?   :)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan has died at age 54.  Heart attack.

For my money, his performance in "The Green Mile" should have brought him the supporting actor Oscar for which he was nominated.

An incredible, indelible, unforgettable performance.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

Today is Rob and Mary Linda's first wedding anniversary!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »

TOD:

I have trouble remembering which came first, but one of these was definitely my first (complete) silent film experience:

"Modern Times"
"City Lights"
"The Great Dictator"

I had seen bits and pieces of silents throughout my childhood on TV, but never a complete film.  I was in journalism school (military) in 1972 and the post theater (Fort Benjamin Harrison IN) offered a Chaplin film as its main attraction every Friday for several weeks.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »

Good day one and alll! 

I got some lovely genealogy data I have been working with the last couple days.

I was also enjoying the nice warm weather...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:46 AM »

Vibes to one and all~~~~~~~~~~
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »

Very strange situation.  i put up a draft of a parody video, posted a link in one - and only one - place, it was seen by maybe 50 people, almost all of whom were people who gave me their thoughts, found a few funny lines but thought it mean-spirited and my agent as an example sort-of thought it not in keeping with the rest of my Youtube channel so the draft was gone, baby, gone in maybe three or four hours (never to be seen on YouTube again, i think!) and in its place a version that deals with the subject in a more my-channel-appropriate taking-the-high-road style. 

But that other one was a draft,  a tryout, and it's gone, like a number dropped from a show out of town aftre the first preview - and some person wants to keep harping on that draft.  it's like those people on ATC that keep insisting on talking about the second preview of a show that they saw when the show has already opened and it's nothing like the preview they saw.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:06:35 AM by FJL »

John G.

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »

Congrats to the happy couple.
― Voltaire

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »

Ironic how bk's post and the link I am about to post seem serendipitous...

I have seen a few silent films mostly Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford and Buster Keaton films. I liked Gold Rush.

My cousin Gerard, has been involved in preserving the history of the Rocky Boy Reservation by examining the history of the group, in addition researching mineral rights for the tribe. Rocky Boy is in northern Montana near Havre and is home to Cree and Plains Ojibwe. He is always on the look out for articles and documents on not only his group but also with other groups. I have learned a lot from my conversations with him over the years. Some of our conversations have opened my eyes.

Now, to the link, a silent film was discovered a few years back that featured an entire Native American cast. Primarily Kiowa and Comanche and the film also featured a number of descendants of Quanah Parker, Chief of the Comanches.

http://newamericamedia.org/2012/09/discovery-of-silent-film-with-all-native-american-cast-has-historians-reeling.php
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:05:13 AM by DakotaCelt »

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »

Thanks, DR John G!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »

Thanks, DR John G!

Congrats from all four of us, too!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »

Yes indeed - happy first anniversary to Rob & Mary Linda.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan has died at age 54.  Heart attack.

For my money, his performance in "The Green Mile" should have brought him the supporting actor Oscar for which he was nominated.

An incredible, indelible, unforgettable performance.

I could not agree more... He was amazing...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up