Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STUMBLE-THROUGH  (Read 33408 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE STUMBLE-THROUGH
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »

But we did get to page five.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »

And J.B. is barking along with the dogs on Dexter. I wonder if the bird has actually ever seen a dog.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »

We never got an answer on what's green and sings.

Kermit the Frog?

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »

Ear vibes fro Larry!

FJL

« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »

Congrats, John G, on the review.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »

I spent the last two hours watching the Region-2 BFI DVD of LA KERMESSE HEROÏQUE aka CARNIVAL IN FLANDERS, which I believe TCM is showing tomorrow night. I hadn't seen the film in over ten years and I'd forgtten a lot of it, like the gay Spanish soldier and his needlework, the rather graphic rape and pillage fantasy of the Burgermaster, and the funny, lusty sequence where the innkeeper's wife tends to the Spanish soldiers. The print is good, but the film really needs Criterion to give it new, unexpurgated subtitles in yellow so they stand out against the whites on the screen.

The film is beautiful to look at, a stunning recreation of Flanders in 1616 and it has great set pieces, like the ladies meeting the Spaniards with the key to the city and the soldiers' march away at the end. Francoise Rosay as Cornelia, the Burgermaster's wife with dreams she'll never realize, runs the show. She's not a beautiful woman but she is stunning lady and a beautiful actress, with some outrageous moments as well as some very moving ones.  And what did occur between her and the Spanish Duke? I can't believe they thought there was a musical in this film, and like THE BAKER'S WIFE, they really couldn't make it a successful musical.

If you've never seen this French farce where the ladies settle amicably a potential invasion their stupid husbands can't face, check out the times for TCM and catch it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:31:13 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »

Just watched THE SOUND AND THE FURY, which I'd never seen, and ... WOW.  

I've also never read any Faulkner, though I intend to, and I see from browsing the World Wide Web that the film is considered a travesty, a grand piece o' crap, by Faulkner devotees.  Well, it might very well be, but it's also a stunning example of a Hollywood era and style that I'm very taken with, and I was shamelessly enthralled throughout the proceedings.

But:  the score.  Alex North.  Oh my god.  That's what actually made me watch the movie, when I'd thought I was going to just check out the new disc and move on to something else.  At the first NOTE, I sat up, electrified.  Once into the main titles, there was no turning back, and every cue elevated an already compelling scene or emotional moment into something beyond thrilling.

FJL

« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

Thanks, George. 

It had been sung frtom the point of view of a specific person before, and I got an email asking that just the video (not the audio) be changed in that regard.   (I had actually sent the video to the producer's office, it's not like they happened on it by accident.)

FJL

« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »

Larry - The Patrick Cassidy - Shirley Jones Music Man came up  on castrecl and i recalled our seeing it a few years back.. I hope you don't mind that i reminisced about our Hartford trip over there.

ChasSmith

« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »

Francoise Rosay is in THE SOUND AND THE FURY.  I don't know what else I might know her from, but that FLANDERS film sure sounds great.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »

Larry - The Patrick Cassidy - Shirley Jones Music Man came up  on castrecl and i recalled our seeing it a few years back.. I hope you don't mind that i reminisced about our Hartford trip over there.

Nope. It was a lovely day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2012, 08:56:59 PM »

And to bed. I'm about 90 minutes past my usual bedtime and I'm feeling it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2012, 12:00:39 AM »

Page 5?   Response #133?  At 3:00 in the morning?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2012, 12:01:20 AM »

Back from one of the best evenings I've ever had.  The show could not have gone better - everyone was stellar, many ovations throughout and I'll be more detailed in the notes, which I'll write shortly.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »

Back from one of the best evenings I've ever had.  The show could not have gone better - everyone was stellar, many ovations throughout and I'll be more detailed in the notes, which I'll write shortly.

Congrats on the great evening...yet again! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up