Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 25  (Read 35433 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 25
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »

'night

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »

We also watched Broadway or Bust and quite enjoyed it.  I think a lot of these kids have watched too much GLEE and SMASH.

If I were living in Ohio today (thank you, Jesus!) I would probably be clinging onto SMASH like a life jacket. I'm sure for a lot of those kids, planning on college theatre programs and wanting to work on Broadway, GLEE and SMASH are indicative of what the real theatre life is like. I think these high school winners are really lucky for the chance to have a workshop like this.

Oh, I do, too!  It was especially exciting when the one guy got to sing with Michael Feinstein.  I think a lot of them have learned their songs from recordings.  One girl even admitted that she'd never sung her number with a piano.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »

DR Elmore, I'll make you some crepes next time you're in town!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »

We also watched Broadway or Bust and quite enjoyed it.  I think a lot of these kids have watched too much GLEE and SMASH.

If I were living in Ohio today (thank you, Jesus!) I would probably be clinging onto SMASH like a life jacket. I'm sure for a lot of those kids, planning on college theatre programs and wanting to work on Broadway, GLEE and SMASH are indicative of what the real theatre life is like. I think these high school winners are really lucky for the chance to have a workshop like this.

Oh, I do, too!  It was especially exciting when the one guy got to sing with Michael Feinstein.  I think a lot of them have learned their songs from recordings.  One girl even admitted that she'd never sung her number with a piano.

From Michael's comments, I guessed the student probably learned the song from Sinatra's recording. Still, I thought he learned more from Michael about singing and communicating than anyone on AMERICAN YoDEL ever does.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »

I think the girl doing the song from DREAMGIRLS learned it from the movie.

ChasSmith

« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »

There was kind of a flurry of "creperies" back in the late 70s, early 80s.  Anybody remember The Magic Pan?  That was my introduction to crepes.

In the Cincinnati area there was one -- I forget, in a little shopping plaza in Blue Ash or Montgomery?  In California, a friend worked at the Beverly Hills one on Brighton Way, and there was one in Woodland Hills or Canoga Park.  Anyway, a nice upscale chain that was quite popular, but the story goes that they expanded too rapidly and the bottom fell out.  I miss it.

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »

Yes, DR ChasSmith, the Magic Pan was in Montgomery.  I also went to one in San Francisco back in 1975.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »

I had crepes for the first time at a little French restaurant in Ann Arbor, MI, the name of which I can't remember.  The gizmo I use now to make crepes was a wedding present.

Laura

« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

Glad to hear the show went well!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »

Good Evening!

I did indeed nap. And, I did indeed join my fellow members of the Auditons Staff for a wonderful meal. We went to a place called the Brake Pad. It's a converted gas station.

I went veggie tonight, and ordered their Black Bean Burger, and, I have to say that it was one of the best Black Bean Burgers I've ever had. Oh, and tater tots on the side. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »

Five minutes before heading out to a party  I got a call with an offer of a pair of tickets for the annual Chefs and Cellars event in which the city's top chefs are paired with someone who donates a few cases of finely aged wine from their cellars. The tickets cost too much to say no. And now I'm stuffed.

Course after wonderful course. My favorite course was deer striploin with foie gras, juniper berries, parsnips, spice bread, maitake mushrooms, pickled huckleberries and black garlic paired with a 1996 Bordeaux.

Happy tummy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »

158 auditions???

Well, I think it was more like 145-ish auditions due to the no-shows. The numbers for the Spring Convention are a bit higher, usually 220 each day. -And the Spring Convention runs three days.

And I play for all of them.

www.SETC.org

*And this coming Spring will mark my 20th Year with SETC. I've played for all but three of the Spring Conventions and all but two of the Fall auditions since 1993.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »

DR Jane - I wonder if that Walla Walla dressing is related to all the Vidalia dressings in the south? I know there is one company that manufactures the same dressing for various attractions to brand for themselves. I still remember seeing a Vidalia salad dressing being sold at an Amish Country store. -Who knew there were Amish people in Georgia? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »

There was kind of a flurry of "creperies" back in the late 70s, early 80s.  Anybody remember The Magic Pan?  That was my introduction to crepes.

Oh, I remember The Magic Pan. That was one of the "nice" date places when I was in high school.

That was also where I learned that with enough "finesse" you could cook a crepe on a crepe pan that had been turned upside down. There are a couple of places in NYC that are trying to revive the crepe craze. Most of them use those flat, round crepe griddles rather than pans on a stove.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »

Alas, there were some people today who had never sung their song with a piano.

Sadly, there always are. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »

DR Ginny - Costco sells a nice brand of frozen crepes. Have you tried those? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure we had pizza from the New Haven location.  New Haven had a number of excellent pizza places, all cooked in big wood ovens.  In the year we lived in Connecticut we had some good pizza when I took the time to drive to New Haven.  It didn't take long to get there but traffic & parking was always an issue.

Yes, there are many great original pizzas from the New Haven area that I've yet to try, but I can honestly say I've never been disappointed at any I've had so far.  There really is nothing quite like "New Haven" or "Connecticut" pizza.  Of course, New Haven also claims credit for creation of the hamburger.  That's a lot of responsibility.

Over the past year or so, a couple of New Haven-style pizza places have opened in DC. I tried one during the run of THE MUSIC MAN. -One bite immediately reminded me of Spiro's Pizza in Groton, CT. :) -I think we had pizza from there at least once a week when my dad was stationed at the Coast Guard Academy.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »

I'm thinking about dinner.  I am also thinking about the last legs my refrgerator is standing on!

You Have Legs On Your Refrigerator?

And Prince Albert in a can!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »

DR Ginny - Costco sells a nice brand of frozen crepes. Have you tried those? ;)

No, I've never been to Costco.  But the crepe-making gizmo I use kind of emulates the upside-down pan method you mentioned.

FJL

« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »

Does anyone here know what Good and Evil Pickles are?  Fred?  Ask your better half.

No idea off the top of our heads! there look like there are  recipes online, though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:55:53 PM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »

Does anyone here know what Good and Evil Pickles are?  Fred?  Ask your better half.

Sweet and Hots!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

And...

About that nap...

Laters...

Jose, will you have any more chances to see your son before you leave town?

I may see him and the rest of THE KING & I cast tomorrow night since they only have a student matinee tomorrow morning at 10:30am. (UGH!)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »

Well, I have a couple of busy days ahead.  Let's hope I can sleep tonight - 'night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

And we start a little earlier tomorrow, so I will be logging off now too.

Goodnight,
Make Your Own Luck.

ChasSmith

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »

158 auditions???

Well, I think it was more like 145-ish auditions due to the no-shows. The numbers for the Spring Convention are a bit higher, usually 220 each day. -And the Spring Convention runs three days.

And I play for all of them.

www.SETC.org

*And this coming Spring will mark my 20th Year with SETC. I've played for all but three of the Spring Conventions and all but two of the Fall auditions since 1993.

Amazing.  But what really impresses me is the amount of music you must have sightread in those 20+ years.  Is there anything anyone brings in now that throws you in any way?  You talk about sometimes not being warmed up or whatever, but do you ever actually stumble on anything these days?  Seriously, just wondering.  Not that I expect "yes" for an answer!   :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »

And before I end up pulling another all-nighter -- or even a half-nighter, which I cannot afford to do with the full day ahead of me tomorrow -- I bid you all a good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »

Our first of two or three guest stars for the Hamlisch show is: Kay Cole, who'll be singing What I Did For Love.  She doesn't sing very much these days, at least in public, but I'd asked her to think about it and she did and she loves our shows and finally asked if she could.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »

Was watching a motion picture on Blu and Ray and fell asleep for forty-five minutes.

FJL

« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »

Have I ever foisted my WHAT I DID FOR LOVE spoof here?

WHAT YOU DID GOT SNUBBED - the Kleban Award parody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZn00NbxLbM

(semi-inside joke is that we're big fans of the writing of Adam Gwon, who won the Kleban Award that year, so the use of "Gwon" on the "gone" part of the lyric is actually done with a bit of good-natured fun)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »

Have I ever foisted my WHAT I DID FOR LOVE spoof here?

WHAT YOU DID GOT SNUBBED - the Kleban Award parody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZn00NbxLbM

(semi-inside joke is that we're big fans of the writing of Adam Gwon, who won the Kleban Award that year, so the use of "Gwon" on the "gone" part of the lyric is actually done with a bit of good-natured fun)
That was fun.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up