Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ANDY WILLIAMS  (Read 37764 times)

ChasSmith

Re: ANDY WILLIAMS
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »

Just dropped by to say...

PAGE THREE (3)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

But what really had EVERYONE talking was that his speech was pretty damned BORING!  He talked about baboons, about how they had big teeth so that they could chew.  He talked a bit about how stories developed in societies, and a whole lot about nothing...he never tied anything to his books.  He never talked about his own writings at all, not Ender's Game, not the movie that being made about it, nothing.

Seriously...WTF? ???

Very odd. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »

TOD:

Aside from Moon River, I can think of any song in particular that is a favorite of mine.  On the other hand, I can't think of any song I ever heard Andy Williams sing that I didn't like.  And there's not many artists I can say that about.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:56:39 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »

The only things that we could figure out was that a stroke that he had last year affected him worse than anyone though. :-\

Or something that I just thought about last night (and it's only MY theory):  that he somehow heard about our "issue" with his opinions (which would require inside information...his cousin) and he decided to fulfill his contract and give us a speech, but the contract probably didn't specify what he had to talk about so he decided to give us a horribly boring speech as a big FU.

Just a thought.

Could be but then he only embarrassed his cousin by doing so.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »

TOD:

My favourite Andy Williams number is his dubbing (when he was a teenager) of Lauren Bacall on the Hoagy Carmichael number, How Little We Know, for TO HAVE & TO HAVE NOT.  Of course, whether his version made the final cut is in dispute.  Howard Hawks insists Lauren Bacall performed the number in the final cut, but this from yesterday's London Daily Mail:  "Williams would never confirm that he was ousted, he just gave his slow smile and said, 'Maybe', giving everyone the impression he was the real star."

Interesting :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »

Good morning. Today I am going to the river with The Monarch Scientist.

Ya know, there's a good hand-clappin', toe-tappin gospel number in there somewhere.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »

Does anyone know how to tell if you have a cold vs allergies?

My niece has been blowing her nose like crazy for like 3 weeks. My sister is convinced it is allergies, since she doesn't have a fever or any other symptoms. And she has 100% of her energy.
By going to a doctor? Sorry, but I don't know of any other definitive way.

She called her doctor. The allergy meds she has been taking seem to help a bit. They definitely would not give her anything if it was a cold.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »

I *HATED* Temple Of Doom when I saw it in the movie theatre.  I haven't watched it since.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »

T.O.D.

HAPPY HEART
MOON RIVER
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »

TOD

Moon River
Days of Wine and Roses
Charade
Can't Get Used to Losing You
Dear Heart

...and probably anything he did on Christmas shows.

He has a place of honor in my "golden age decade" of 1958-1967 or thereabouts.

When I think of, two of my favorites here, Dear Heart & Days of Wine and Roses I also think of Jack Jones.

Aside from those two, Moon River & Can't Get Used to Losing You another great favorite of mine is Color Me Blue.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  My wake-up this morning was Richard talking to someone in our kitchen at about 9:15.  It was DS Rob who had been here long enough to fix himself something to eat.  I had not heard him come in the front door or putter around the kitchen.  Rob has been working on Richard's new computer and printer and the new wireless router.  We're in business!

:)

Jane

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »

The Rev. Samuel Parris went into the hospital for an emergency appendectomy on Tuesday - so I read his part last night - since I only have one line in the trial scene.

HOWEVER - I am hoping for a full recovery for him and that he returns on Monday......

PLEASE....

Recovery Vibes for the Rev. Samuel Parris !

Jane

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »

Reading about BK's fasting in the notes. I think I lasted last night till 5pm or 5:30pm. And it wasn't bad for me at all. I often don't eat till noon. So missing one meal wasn't really too much for me.

BK, don't you often fast much of the day? Or do you have snacks before your meal of the day at night?

You make it sound easy. 

Jane

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »

My niece has been blowing her nose like crazy for like 3 weeks. My sister is convinced it is allergies, since she doesn't have a fever or any other symptoms. And she has 100% of her energy.

My guess that is allergies.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »

I'm not sure what i have. I have just felt 65-70% for the last 3 weeks. So haven't been exercising that much.

I would love to bike. But i hate exercising hard when i don't feel 100%.

Allergies can drag you down or you are fighting a cold that hasn't become full blown.  Why not go for an easy bike ride.  The nice days won't be around too much longer.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »

I *HATED* Temple Of Doom when I saw it in the movie theatre.  I haven't watched it since.

I have heard that from so many people through the years that I'm glad I didn't waste my time on it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »

Not lately, but I've had a couple of summer allergy attacks lasting several days that were every bit as bad as a lousy cold.  Went to the doctor for one of them and he confirmed that's all it was.  They can be pretty horrible.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »

Reading about BK's fasting in the notes. I think I lasted last night till 5pm or 5:30pm. And it wasn't bad for me at all. I often don't eat till noon. So missing one meal wasn't really too much for me.

BK, don't you often fast much of the day? Or do you have snacks before your meal of the day at night?

You make it sound easy. 

Well it was definitely easier for me than for my sister. She is used to eating breakfast by 7:30am. She was feeling quite ill by noon.

I was hungryish. But I've got enough fat on me to last for 1 day. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »

My guess that is allergies.

I feel bad she has to blow her nose so much at school.

Every week the teacher puts their names in a draw for prizes. She is a good kid so usually she has her name in a bunch of times. But this time I asked her how many times her name was in the draw and she said only once. Because every time the teacher was adding names in for doing good stuff she was blowing her nose.

Somehow she won anyhow. She got to take the class stuffed animal home for the weekend.

The guy whose name was drawn first declined and took a prize from the prize bag. For some reason everyone else but this one kid always chooses to take the class pet home. They all think this is the greatest thing ever.

It is dirty and my sister made her carry it around in a plastic bag. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »

I wonder if I ever saw TEMPLE OF DOOM...if I did, I don't remember anything about it.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »

Yummy looking food photos!

The stuffed eggplant sure sounds good. Kwan's Chinese Restaurant here in Salem always advertises the most exotic dishes...right now it is Chicken Stuffed Egglplant.

ChasSmith

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

I feel bad she has to blow her nose so much at school.

I read that as "I feel bad she has to blow her nose in music at school."

John G.

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »

Great Herbert Lom story in the Washington Post:

In 1953, songwriters Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II informed Mr. Lom that they wanted him to audition for the role of the King of Siam in the London production of their hit musical “The King and I”; Yul Brynner had become a Broadway star in the role.

Mr. Lom sent the composers a telegram saying he was unable to do so because he could not secure a visa to come to the United States. “America would not let me in,” he told the Independent. “I was suspected of being a fellow traveler, a Communist sympathizer. Everybody had Communist leanings. But I was not a lover of Communist regimes. And I admired America greatly, yet for many years I was not allowed in.”

Undeterred, Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote back saying they would meet him in Canada. Only a few minutes into the audition, they gave Mr. Lom the part. He performed it for two years, opposite Valerie Hobson as schoolteacher Anna Leonowens, and received critical acclaim. Theater critic Kenneth Tynan called Mr. Lom “practically an act of God” in the role.

Was his performance recorded?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »

Had no idea he had done that.  What a great story!!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »

In 1953, songwriters Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II informed Mr. Lom that they wanted him to audition for the role of the King of Siam in the London production of their hit musical “The King and I”; Yul Brynner had become a Broadway star in the role.

Mr. Lom sent the composers a telegram saying he was unable to do so because he could not secure a visa to come to the United States. “America would not let me in,” he told the Independent. “I was suspected of being a fellow traveler, a Communist sympathizer. Everybody had Communist leanings. But I was not a lover of Communist regimes. And I admired America greatly, yet for many years I was not allowed in.”

Undeterred, Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote back saying they would meet him in Canada. Only a few minutes into the audition, they gave Mr. Lom the part. He performed it for two years, opposite Valerie Hobson as schoolteacher Anna Leonowens, and received critical acclaim. Theater critic Kenneth Tynan called Mr. Lom “practically an act of God” in the role.

Evidently, YES

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »

And for your added excitement - I found THIS

John G.

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »

Vibes request. I just found out that I will be interviewing for the position I've been doing for the past 16 months. Mine was one of 148 applications.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »

And for your added excitement - I found THIS

That looks interesting. Not familiar with Golden City.
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »

Successful interviewing vibes for DR John G!!

Doug R

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

Evidently, YES

Fascinating - never knew that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up