Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE  (Read 26360 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2004, 09:14:55 PM »

On my way to the Dena of Pas to sup with Mr. Schmidt.  Notes will probably go up a bit late.

Michael

« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2004, 09:19:14 PM »

Late night page 6 dance

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2004, 09:20:40 PM »

I thought that was Colm Feore... Thanks for the compliment on the film. I saw RH in a Showtime film recently, playing a rabbi - Full Court Miracle was the title - he was good, as always.

I remember working in a theater in Montreal when Colm was just starting out. Terrible production of Ira Levin's Veronica's Room or was the play terrible? It was a long time ago
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2004, 09:25:51 PM »

I remember working in a theater in Montreal when Colm was just starting out. Terrible production of Ira Levin's Veronica's Room or was the play terrible? It was a long time ago

He had one of his first - if not THE first film/TV role in my first "serious" piece, RUNNING MAN (on For the Record). That was also Donald Brittain's first dramatic (non-docu) film.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 09:26:40 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2004, 09:32:17 PM »

I gotta get on this facial hair thing again for both Starbuck and File.  File is a meticulous man... appearances are important to him.  He's darning his own shirt.  He talks contemptuously of the man his wife ran off with as being nearsighted and having weak hands.  If File had any facial hair, it would be scrupulously trimmed and maintained.  It's part of his anal nature. No beard stubble.

Starbuck would not have facial hair at all.  He's a con man. He'd want to appear heroic. Rock-jawed, fresh-faced, and wide open, nothing to hide.  More importantly, he wouldn't want anything competing with or distracting from that pearly smile and charm.  Nor would he want to convey an image of mistrust or as someone too slick and sophisticated, an image that can often be misconstrued from face hair.  Especially a scraggly, patchy mustache and goatee like the one the actor was wearing last night.  Weenie, very weenie.  Mostly, it looks like a little boy trying to grow face hair and can't.  Another image Starbuck doesn't want to convey.
Huh?  Say what?

Exactly when is Rainmaker/110 supposed to take place?

OK, it's not taking place now, in the 2000s.

But it isn't set in the Eisenhower era, either.  As I recall, these people are still driving horse-drawn rigs.  This puts them in the 1900s, maybe the 1920s.  (I could be wrong, I don't have a copy of the film or script at hand.)

During this era, facial hair on men was considered quite respectable.  Sure, measly little pencils of moustaches were too "cityfied," and would have been suspicious, but a true moustache, or a full or partial beard, would have been considered manly.

I agree that File would be well-trimmed at all time, and that Starbuck would consider accentuating his masculinity with a neat appearance, but the whole idea that masculinity equals no facial hair would be bunk.

(My long-held suspicion is that Gillette's razors have been a part of the feminization and virtual castration of American men, a suspicion I base on the fact that the bulk of Gillette's stock is held by women.  As they say, let the buyer beware!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2004, 09:42:09 PM »

Can anyone post a picture of actress Marilyn Cooper?
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2004, 09:42:18 PM »

I think DR Jay mentioned to me that this is your stomping ground.  I'm staying just a block away from the Albertson's on Hillhurst.

*It's a good walk from the House of Pies... but maybe that's a good and/or necessary thing. ;)
Uh...Don't walk the neighborhood alone at night.  Just to be on the safe side.  Trust me on this one.  Really.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2004, 09:43:35 PM »

And just what is the proper pronunciation of "Los Feliz"?  Well, at least of "Feliz"..

Fee-liss
Fee-lix (-licks)
Fee-leez
Fee-leess
???
Loss Fee-lezz
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 09:44:04 PM by S. Woody White »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2004, 09:46:59 PM »

Don't think I said a damn thing about masculinity and facial hair one way or the other...except that the actor playing Starbuck has a very weenie mustache and goatee.  As I said, it looks like a little boy trying to grow a beard.

Yes, I know the play's era and I know beard's could be considered quite respectable, but I also said they could be misconstrued as villainous and slick...don't forget them mellerdramas of the day when the villain twirl his mustachioes.  Clean face and open is the best attack for Starbuck.  Beaming them pearly whites...no mustache drooping over them, no beard hiding them.

Or maybe I just can't get Burt Lancaster out of my head, but I do know that Starbuck's beard last night look very wussy.

Robin

« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2004, 09:56:34 PM »

(My long-held suspicion is that Gillette's razors have been a part of the feminization and virtual castration of American men, a suspicion I base on the fact that the bulk of Gillette's stock is held by women.  As they say, let the buyer beware!)

You say that like it's a bad thing...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2004, 09:59:08 PM »

Sorry, DR Charles, but what you wrote struck too close to the arguement I was given by the local Disney Store as to why I would have to shave off my beard and moustache: that kids find them frightening, and that the Disney villians are bearded.

If anything, the opposite on both counts are true.  (I'm trying to imagine Cruella DeVille with a beard.  Comical, perhaps, but more laughable than frightening.)

I'm a bit defensive about this anti-beard prejudice.  It stings.

(Any chance you have a picture of yourself with one, that you'd care to post?   :D)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2004, 09:59:54 PM »

You say that like it's a bad thing...
Well, yes, it is!

So there!

::) :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2004, 10:01:06 PM »

I need to be up at an unholy hour tomorrow, and must take my leave.

Hope the pies were good!

Michael

« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2004, 10:27:09 PM »

For those who won't or can't have pie

Banana Cream

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2004, 10:28:10 PM »

Chocolate Cream

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2004, 10:29:07 PM »

Apple Pie

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2004, 10:34:29 PM »

Then again I could never eat apple pie after I saw Jason Bigg's use of it

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2004, 10:34:44 PM »

DRMICHAELSHAYNE I simply ADORE your new avatar......

Ya know DRGEORGE the alien in ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN came all the way to earth looking for diamonds!

I wish I were in California.....sigh.

I did get applause once again on my egress and am having a wonderful time, BUT I don't wanna do no more tuxedo shows in July!

DRSWW if Cruella has one more face lift she will HAVE a beard!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2004, 10:37:21 PM »

Can't find a photo of Marilyn Cooper on the net!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2004, 10:42:20 PM »

DRJASON also has a nice new avatar!

DRMS....that dance that dance....MY EYES  MY EYES!!!!

DRGEORGE....what are you TAKING to the Antiques Road Show?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2004, 10:42:59 PM »

Nytol!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2004, 10:48:21 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from dinner.  We didn't opt for the House of Pies tonight.  Instead, we headed around the corner and went to Puran's.  Good food.  Not too fancy, but very well done.  We both had pastas - seafood with angel hair, and spicy sausage with penne.  And chocolate cake for dessert.  Nice place, and, according to the menu, they only use organic vegetables and free-range chickens.

We may actually go to some film festival later on.  A friend of his has a feature being shown tonight at midnight(!).  I'm just gonna play it by ear since we have more auditions in the morning.

OH! -And I also my first Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf "Ice Blended" drink this afternoon.  Tammy had "warned" me to get the sugar-free version since the regular ones are quite sweet...  Well, she was right!  I actually thought I was tasting more sugar than coffee flavor.  It also gave me a slight headache.  Ah, well... Next time I'll know better.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2004, 11:04:47 PM »

I'm off to read in bed. Might be back later...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2004, 11:08:47 PM »

DRGEORGE....what are you TAKING to the Antiques Road Show?

If I had gotten a ticket, I would probably have taken my ex-wife!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2004, 11:15:31 PM »

At the tribute to Miss Judy Garland tonight, I heard approximately 150 homosexual men in tuxedos sing these songs:

When You're Smiling
Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart
The Boy Next Door
I'm Always Chasing Rainbows
A Couple of Swells
The Lady is a Tramp
I'm Biding My Time
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
For Me and My Gal
Meet Me in St. Louis
It's a New World
Johnny One Note
I Got Rhythm
The Atchison, Topeka & the Santa Fe
If I Only Had a Brain
But Not for Me
I Wish I Were in Love Again
Babes in Arms
Babes on Broadway
Hoe Down
Strike Up the Band
Come Rain or Come Shine
Happy Days Are Here Again/Get Happy (sung as a duet, a la Miss Garland and Miss Streisand)
The Man That Got Away
You're Nearer (sung as a solo)
Alone Together
Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody
Swanee
If Love Were All
Through the Years
You Made Me Love You
The Trolley Song
Chicago
San Francisco

Several numbers were choreographed and various clips of Miss Garland's film and television appearances were interspersed throughout the evening.

Oh yes.  One more thing.  Any Dear Reader who cannot figure out what song was done for an encore will be required to sign up IMMEDIATELY for the next session of Remedial Gay 101.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2004, 11:27:11 PM »

I am really really tired tonight. Really.

Re Antiques Roadshow: I went once. They didn't have tickets. I stood in line for eight hours.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2004, 11:38:09 PM »

I'm really tired too... Must have been the pasta...;)  Something tells me Chris and I won't be heading to the midnight screening at the film festival...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2004, 11:58:42 PM »

Actually, Woody, I've never worn a full beard...partly for the same reason I hate the one on the Starbuck at Pasadena Playhouse...I could never grow a good, thick strong one.  I have had, at various times, a mustache and a goatee or, probably more precisely, a Van Dyke.  Both of which do grew in fairly thick and nice.  I wore the beard as David Bliss in Hayfever, as DeGuiche in Cyrano, and as Manningham in Angel Street.

But I'm not saying beards are sinister; only that many might construe them to be so...or, as I very specifically stated, misconstrue them as that way.  To my thinking, a con man like Starbuck wouldn't want to take that chance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2004, 11:59:10 PM »

I'm back from a divoon meal with our very own Harvey Schmidt, who sends his best to all.  I must now hurry and write the notes which will be up in fifteen minutes or so.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2004, 12:07:46 AM »

Woody & Jose, both Hillhurst and Vermont have in the last few years, become very trendy and happening.  Many's the time, the Lovely Wife and I have walked down to dinner at one of the restaurants there or taken in a movie at the Vermont 3 and walked back along Los Feliz Boulevard home.  The only time I've ever even been a little nervous is perhaps, right there at the small patch of Griffith Park we have to cross to get to our neighbourhood.  But that's just a twinge of heightened consciousness, not fear.  Vermont is probably a little more happening than Hillhurst and while I wouldn't recommend strolling around there at midnight or after.  

During the early evening hours,  as long as you pretty much stay on the main drags, no big whoop.  The Lovely Wife and I just last week walked back from the restaurant Home down on Hillhurst, crossed Melbourne to Vermont, and came home at around nine or ten  o'clock.  All was fine.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up