Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE  (Read 26362 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2004, 09:57:11 AM »

Good morning. I've had complaints from the management about my paucity of posts. So here I am -- POSTING. I am now going to have some oatmeal and write (not about the oatmeal). Later, I shall POST again. No pauciticious person Panni.

Keep this up and we'll have a plethora of posts - quite a pretentious predicament but, no doubt, pleasing to the proprietor!

der Brucer

If a picky proprietor is not pleased by the paucity of posts,
How many posts does it take to change the paucity to a plethora to please the picky proprietor?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2004, 10:02:45 AM »

Wonderful Ebay find JRAnd53! I do hope you will be sending it cross-country for a personalized autograph!

Spaghetti.

Just finished mowing the yard, now I am gonna run down to a little junk furniture shop on 12th Street and upon my return I will finish watching a Bollywood movie I began late last night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2004, 10:14:26 AM »

Yes, I will MBARNUM....AFTER What If....is concluded, no doubt.

Saturday.  I have to work in the box office today in a little while.  Hopefully I will SELL lots of tickets.  Nice audience last night, but I pushed a bit and lost a laugh.....grrrrrrrrrrr....everyone was doing it...hopefully tonight we can fix that.  Just do it!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2004, 10:30:43 AM »

Chicken Marsella
Pizza
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2004, 10:33:16 AM »

Here I am again - Pauciticious Panni. I am here to post about Farmer William's pelts. Why? Because pelts is a funny word. Funnier even than pickles. Furthermore, Farmer William is a studly fellow, preeminently post-worthy.
(And I am aware of the fact that bk has Farmer William and his pelts copyrighted. This is a pelts hommage. Or a pommage.)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2004, 10:43:58 AM »

FROM PAUCITY TO PLETHORA  - A SAGA

PROLOGUE

(Consisting of selected excerpts from the LA Times)

America, seen in a 'Hairspray' haze

Give me high heels, big wigs, a fat suit and a song, and the country is mine.
By Bruce Vilanch
Special to The Times

Jul 11 2004

"A veteran comedy writer with limited theater experience." That's what another newspaper, also called the Times but on another coast many thousands of miles to the east of Los Angeles, called me last July in announcing my being cast as Edna Turnblad, housewife-superstar of the musical based on John Waters' beloved "Hairspray."

Me, who worked summer stock even before I was a former game show star. Me, who played every Stubby Kaye role in musical comedy history, some even Stubby forgot he played. Me, who single-handedly kept an equity-waiver musical about singing, dancing, wisecracking alcoholics running for an entire L.A. summer in a theater without air conditioning or parking, Sunday matinees included. Me — limited!

I pick myself up off the floor and go to rehearsal anyway.

Soon I am surrounded by the rest of the cast, all younger than myself, most of whose professional experience consists of impersonating cats or French revolutionaries. We are starting our odyssey as the first national tour of "Hairspray," the big, fat musical hit about big, fat musical people who integrated television in Baltimore in 1962. Being big, fat and musical myself, I know I'll fit right in.

(To be continued - like all worthy sagas)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2004, 10:51:27 AM »

ENTER THE VILLAIN

By Bruce Vilanch
Special to The Times

The next day

The swelling is going down and the physical therapist says if I keep putting ice on the knee, the elbow, the ankle, the wrist and the shoulder, I should be able to get rid of the bedpan and make it across the room to the john by the middle of the week. Musicals have clearly gotten more physical. You never saw Ethel Merman doing step aerobics.

Truthfully, it wasn't the dancing that got to me, or the singing. It was the breathing — and the fact that you must keep doing that in order to do the other things.

I know Rex Harrison was a big musical star who couldn't sing, but clearly he managed to breathe. And where is he today when I need him for tips? And I would have been OK, but the high heels got to me. See, I'm playing a woman in this show — don't ask, just assume a Zen patience and go with it. Edna wears heels a lot of the time. Also a fat suit, which I need about as much as Michael Moore, and many towering wigs, all of which combine to give me a center of gravity known only to Godzilla. One wrong move and I take out the Tokyo train station.

The real culprit in all this is not even the costume designer but the choreographer, that malicious spawn of Gwen Verdon and Satan. I have to keep reminding myself that, no matter how much they love the show, the audience will not ask us to do the same number over again seven times in a row. Only the choreographer does that, and with a big, broad grin.

A-five-six-seven-eight …

(Photo by Paul Kolnick)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 10:56:59 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2004, 10:55:40 AM »

BALTIMORE

By Bruce Vilanch
Special to The Times

We're opening here because it's the town where "Hairspray" takes place and also because this is John Waters country.

The man who created the movie that serves as the source for our show lives and works here and is its biggest cultural icon, along with Cal Ripken Jr., which should give you some idea of how weird a place Baltimore really is.

John says everyone here is insane but they all think they're perfectly normal. As their only previous literary icon is Edgar Allan Poe, John is viewed by the locals as a sober citizen. The mayor of Baltimore, who is slightly less popular than John, comes onstage after the show to give him a plaque — his home is now decorated exclusively in honors given him by the city of Baltimore — and the festivities are cut short by Hurricane Isabel, which announces her presence with a fearsome thunderbolt that cuts all the power. The skies open up and Baltimore's inner harbor rises to flood much of the downtown area and cancel the next day's performances.

So far we're a smash.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 10:58:02 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2004, 11:01:46 AM »

OFF TO THE BOONIES

By Bruce Vilanch
Special to The Times

Cincinnati

A critic here does a lengthy comparison of me and Harvey Fierstein, who played the same role in the Broadway production to riotous acclaim. I don't know why a critic in Cincinnati bothers to do such a thing, since almost no one who's reading his review will have the opportunity to see both Harvey and me. But I used to be a critic in Chicago, so what do I know?

I don't have much of a chance to think about this, though, because Cincinnati is where an interviewer from another paper asks the following: "There was a movie made about you a few years ago, 'Get Bruce.' It was released by Miramax, the studio run by Harvey Weinstein. How did Harvey Weinstein have time to run a studio and also star on Broadway in 'Hairspray'?"

I swear to you I am not making this up. I will never forget Cincinnati.

Providence

Things were moving along swimmingly tonight when the phone rang in the middle of a scene and I went to answer it as I always do … but there was no phone. The prop man had neglected to put it on the table in its usual spot.

It's tough to answer a phone that isn't there. Existential, and tough.

So I picked up a powder puff off a nearby shelf and announced to the audience: "At this performance, the role of Phone will by played by Powder Puff." At this point, a burly hand thrust a telephone from out of the wings and dropped it on the table. I looked at Powder Puff. "You're fired," I said, putting her back in her place.

If Donald Trump ever plays Edna, he's now got his big scene.

Rochester

Of Rochester it can be said 'It is no Hartford,' which, as you will recall, means it is also no Baltimore and so really no more need be said about Rochester. Except that during one number in the show someone says the Hebrew expression "Shabbat shalom," which may mark the only time this expression has been uttered on the stage of the Rochester Auditorium with the possible exception of a bus-and-truck company of "Fiddler on the Roof" that got lost in a snowstorm between Toronto and New York and wound up parking its wagons and putting on a show for the local farmers who paid them in root vegetables and small bits of string.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2004, 11:03:53 AM »

FRANK'S KIND OF TOWN

By Bruce Vilanch
Special to The Times

Chicago

Great town, great audiences, great reviews, temperatures that do not reach double digits for nine weeks.

On Dec. 30, my dresser, a spooky sort who still believes in his heart of hearts that Miss Cleo really knew what she was talking about, reminds me that the theater we are playing is on the site of the Iroquois Theatre, a spectacular showplace that burned down 100 years ago to the day, causing a great many deaths and a wholesale revision of theatrical safety laws.

Curiously, no one in Chicago is observing this. Duh. More curiously, every theater built on the site (there have been two since) has had to employ the same basic floor plan because of the way the site is configured. So you can actually retrace some of the steps people took on the fateful day. And of course, there are ghosts.

Every theater has ghosts, but this one has more than the usual claim. Of course, no one notices any of them until they are told they might see some, and suddenly it's like a casting call for "The Addams Family." Every creak, groan or flush is Sarah Bernhardt rattling her chains or some old Brunhilde running scales or the faint, plaintive bark of a dead-dog act.

How come none of these people is haunting the William Morris Agency?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2004, 11:06:14 AM »

The Lovely Wife & I had a pleasant evening in Pasadena last night, going to see 110 In The Shade at the Pasadena Playhouse and starting off with dinner right next door at the eyetalian restaurant where they "sing while you dine". Show tunes and Operatic arias.  About what you'd expect from singing waiters.  Like a dinner theatre pre-show. Some sing considerably better than others.  One rather ancient woman with a warbly vibrato that you could throw a cat through and could not be heard over the heavily miked piano and the clink of silverware should, how can I be kind, retire...

As for the show...Let me start off by saying this play as always been magic for me...as either the RAINMAKER or 110.  I loved it when I first saw the movie.  I played Noah in a Dinner Theatre production with James Drury as Starbuck; and even though he was not my idea of Starbuck, the rest of the cast was superb and it was magic doing it every night. You could feel the magic humming in the audience.  It was one of the best shows I was ever in. When I discovered the album, it was magic every time I played it and continues to be.

The show last night...though the book and the music are great...was not magic.  It was the staging and the performances; not the material.  While it was great to see this rarely done piece on its feet...I wanted more.  It was just so bland.

I thought most of the casting was bland. Marin Mazzie was okay...though not a patch on Inga Swenson...Pop and the brothers, with the exception of Jimmy, were fine but seemed strangely miscast...or at least did not fit my image of these roles-- and that may be my own preconceived ideas.  Jimmy was the only one that seemed to have any real poop.  File had a good voice...though I hated his costume and his acting was just...bland.

Starbuck was by far the weakest link. Truly bland. No panache.  While he got close in a couple of his songs, I felt his acting performance was weak.  He was stoop-shouldered.  There was none of Starbuck's bravura.  He didn't know how to come on and take the stage.  Strike a pose.  Mesmerize you.  

He spent his opening scene, continually juggling his hat and his hickory wand in clumsy little gestures as though he didn't know what to do with either prop.  He certainly never took control of them and used them to any dynamic effect.  

And about three times in the opening scene, for some inexplicably reason, he went through a prolonged ritual of trying to attach his hickory wand to his pants or his belt and kept missing, so kept making surrepitious little movements trying to affix it, instead of just stopping the way any normal person would, make a definitive movement and secure it.  Or Hell, if it was such a nuisance, he could have just pitched it in the back of his truck which was right there.  But his whole performance was marked by this tenative attitude and tentative movement.  He was never bigger than life.  He never strode across stage, he just sort of vaguely ambled hither and yon.  

Of course, for this latter I fault the director.  I hate directors who won't block!  But just let actors sort of wander aimlessly across stage.  That's okay in rehearsal for awhile, but eventually something must be set and blocking defined. Patterns and dramatic tension lines firm.  I want what a director of mine use to call, "Pretty pictures, pretty pictures."  Staging is as much about dramatic composition as it is about making actors look natural onstage.  Starbuck looked anything but natural  last night.

And the show started right off on the wrong foot for me. I wanted to hear, "Howdy, File!"  "Howdy, Toby!"  "Opening up the water tank?" and the introductory dialogue that I've heard on the record since the beginning of time.  Instead he opens with the ensemble all onstage, going right into the opening number...and, boy, was there a major foul-up last night.  I don't know whether it was the orchestra or the actors.  But when the female chorus joined in, they didn't!  You heard one or two unsure voices singing feebly like they had forgotten the words or were lost.  It took File to get everybody back on track.  Very bad start.

I didn't mind the added songs.  Though it sounded like Starbuck's voice was giving out on Evening Star, very warbly at one point.  Julieanne said that Lizzie was flatting, particularly in OLD MAID.  My ear was not good enough to detect this, though I felt she rushed the power of that song.

Other little annoying things, why a pick-up truck for Starbuck and the necessity of changing of the lyric "you ride in your bright shiny wagon" to "rusty old pick-up"?  Especially later when Starbuck in "come with me, Lizzie"  sings "a rolling wagon is magic".  So what is it?  A wagon or a truck?

Another lyrical absence, I never heard the women singing,"File's coming; File's coming".  This may have something to do with a very small chorus and stuff being dropped for them.

I must say the costuming and the set design didn't really thrill me either...It was a flat boring stage that left its principals with very little to do but stand around all the time.  And someone should have made both File, who had an unshaven stubble, and Starbuck, who had one of those feeble mustache/goatee combos, both shave.  File is a man who would be meticulous about things like that (I mean in his second scene, you see him mending his own shirt). And Starbuck's spotty face-hair just made him look more like a weenie.

And I loathe the microphones.  The actors were overmiked, as was the orchestra.  Very tinny in spots. And, I'm sorry, but those wires and little mics, no matter how hard they try to hide them, are always visible, making strange little bumps and discolourations on people's faces and any time I'm thinking about a mic, I'm taken out of the show.

The Playhouse is a beautiful, intimate theatre.  Anyone who cannot easily hit the back wall there has no business being on a stage.

One last rather disturbing point.  This show, despite my reservations, has gotten good reviews...at least the few I've seen...Both the LA Times and Backstage liked it.  But the house on a Friday night was far from full.  We sat it the front row of the dress circle (or gallery or whatever they call it)  The two seats next to us were empty.  And while they had clustered the rest of the audience in the center, huge swaths of the gallery were empty.  Worse, down on the floor,  from the second row on, you'd see two, three four seats empty.  Half rows empty.  And this was only from what I could see from my perch...God only knows how many seats under the balcony were empty.  I know I called two days before and could have had floor seats in the fourth row back had I wanted them. This apathy does not bode well for the playhouse or theatre in general.

Great to hear the music and to see it finally onstage.  But it weren't magic.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 11:15:32 AM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2004, 12:06:23 PM »

I need a pasta roller.  Something I can use to make my own pasta.

I need one because I think it would be fun to make ravioli.

I also think it would be fun to have fresh linguine hanging out to dry all over the kitchen.

If we get a good pasta machine at work, I just might go for the employee discount and nab it.

Yummers!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2004, 12:07:48 PM »

Time to get ready for work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2004, 12:08:30 PM »

Oh DRCP - The Rainmaker....I had wanted to do this play since I saw the movie on TV as a teeny tiny tot....and I finally got it through the program committee....it's been almost 10 years ago, but it is still one of my favorite plays I have ever directed!  It is so perfect....if you can get the right cast.  I was so lucky.  Here are some rehearsal pics.

Noah tells Lizzie...."you're gonna be an old maid...."  That scene always caused "oohhhs" in the audience....  That phrase causes a fight between Noah and Jimmy and sends Jimmy out to the girl in the little red hat...and send Lizzie straight to the tack room and Starbuck!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2004, 12:10:29 PM »

The final scene....when File on the right comes to arrest Starbuck...and ends up asking Lizzie to stay and marry him.  As I said a rehearsal....so you can't see much of the set....but everyone is on and was so good!

"Don't go, Lizzie....."

"What?!"

"Lizzie...I said...don't go!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2004, 12:14:37 PM »

And here I am doing what you want directors to do.....I don't go for that organic crap....  Tell them the blocking...plan it out...make pretty pictures...make the audience look where you want them to....if it doesn't work, change it....if an actor wants to try something else, let him....but have a PLAN to begin with people!

Here you can see the set better....a house unit, with some steps to the bedrooms....the tack room is on the right....the box in the dining room became part of the tack room when they were there...the sheriff's office on the left....the back of Noah's desk in the living room became the front of the desk on the sheriff's office...everything flowed from one scene to the next....

I love that play.  I would do it again...anywhere...and I wish I could see 110 in the Shade.....sometime...in my life.

The audience loved the play....and Starbuck's last....."Give me my hundred dollars, dammit!" always brought down the house....

N. Richard Nash!  ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2004, 12:23:32 PM »

JRand - In my acting days, Lizzie was one role that I longed to play (I was too young). I used to do some of her speeches strung together as an audition monologue.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2004, 12:26:38 PM »

PANNI...how wonderful!  The scenes with Lizzie and Starbuck..in the house...and the tack room....

"And if you don't believe you're a woman.....you're not...."

"I'm pretty.....I'm pretty.....I'm pretty......"

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2004, 12:28:57 PM »

Cain't never fergit the movie with Kate Hepburn and Burt Lancaster. Oh, my!

Welcome back (belated greeting) to Keith and jane. Glad Echo's doing so well.

It feels like autumn up here. And here I am, still hacking and clearing ferns and berry bushes - it's just endless.

Eyetalian food:

I'm partial to salads, actually. So I guess what pops right into my so-called mind right now is an Eyetalian salad of sorts, made with the freshest mozarella cheese, cut in thick slices, intertwagled with thick slices of the juciest vine ripened tomato, drizzled with some really fine extra-vergin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and not too much finely-chopped fresh basil, a little freshly ground black pepper. Ahhhhhh...

When's the show in LA, with Guy and Jose? love to come on down and see/hear the sucker.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2004, 12:34:48 PM »

Aug 12 to Sept 12, I think DRPENNY.  Check yesterday's column for sure!

Isn't it amazing that a certain movie will be so memorable to almost everyone who has an interest in theatre or the arts.  When you are with a group of "the folk" all you have to do is mention THE RAINMAKER to get a good conversation started!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2004, 12:35:38 PM »

JRand 53, I agree with you 100% about blocking.  Make sure the focus is where it's supposed to be, make sure the compositions are interesting.  I hate actors who drift and fidget and aimlessly float and step on people's punchlines.  It's almost as bad as actors who don't know what to do with their hands.  It's amazing how many actors don't understand the simple power of stillness.  A director has to shape the dramatic compositions on stage.  If left to the actors, they'll all clump up front in a straight line.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 12:51:23 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2004, 12:41:40 PM »

LOL ain't it the truth....and that straight line is DEATH on our thrust stage...LOL

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2004, 12:46:26 PM »

Thanks, JRand!

If left to the actors, one straight line across the front of the stage??? At NYCO, where there was only one really "hot spot" onstage (if you stood there, your voice was strangely amplified and kicked out into that cavernous house) there were whole scenes with singers drifting down right, elbowing and shoving each other out of the way. The Quintet from Carmen was actually dangerous!!
PennyO

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2004, 12:50:17 PM »

A local semi-professional theater group did "The Rainmaker" a few months ago.  I loved it!  They had a beautiful set and the staging was very good.  The director of the play very muchly knows how to block "pretty pictures."  He's actually notorious for obsessing on making blocking decisions.  The theater group a few years ago did a musical version (well, five songs worth) of "Dracula."   The stage manager, a very dear friend of mine, said that the director LITERALLY took almost three hours to decide if he wanted an actor to exit through the up-left door or the up-right door!  (They did work on other things while he was deciding...so it’s not as if they had to sit around for three hours doing nothing while he thought about it!)  I've worked with him and, although I was not involved with anything that bad, he does tend to ponder on the minutia.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 12:52:06 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2004, 12:52:53 PM »

JRand is the song called ESTATE SALE TODAY?  I want to hear this song.

George, I’m working on the pet sitter.  If I get that I am completely flexible on the time.  I wanted to be sure we were planning on Saturday the 21st and not Sunday.  

Jason have fun tonight.  It is great you are reaching out to make new friends.  Hope this one works out.  GOOD VIBES for tonight and your new job on Monday.  

Penny you have been home for awhile now, how nice.  It’s good to see you posting again.  Thanks for the welcome back.  Echo is still walking every day but she is now refusing to take all of her special vitamins and oils Keith had been giving her.  I can get a couple of things down her but that is it.  She isn’t eating as much now and has lost weight (I know a little weight loss is a good thing) and we are hoping what she is getting is enough.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2004, 12:52:55 PM »

Better to dwell on the minutia than to ignore it.

George

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »

Better to dwell on the minutia than to ignore it.

I do agree with that. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2004, 01:01:49 PM »

George, I’m working on the pet sitter.  If I get that I am completely flexible on the time.  I wanted to be sure we were planning on Saturday the 21st and not Sunday.

That's what the Antiques Roadshow website says!

Well, off to my parents' house for dinner and the playing of cards and Aggravation with my visiting aunt (and the rest of my family).  Until later!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2004, 01:14:49 PM »

Fettuccine Alfredo from an Alfredo’s restaurant.  We ate at the restaurant in Philadelphia until it sadly closed.  When the boys were young we went to the Epcot Center and to our delight there was an Alfredo’s there.  We of course all had Fettuccine Alfredo.  I rarely order it anymore because it is just too rich and most places just don’t compare to the original.  I got spoiled.

When we were in Italy a few years ago we discovered Ribollita (re-cooked) soup, a wonderful TUSCAN vegetable and bean soup with hunks of bread in it.  Once we discovered this soup we ordered it everywhere we could find it.  Our last night in Florence we ate at a charming restaurant that had once been a monastery or a prayer area in a very old church, I can’t remember now.  What I do remember is the meal was excellent and we had the best Ribollita of our entire trip.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2004, 01:18:28 PM »

Echo and I should really be off to our weekly visit at the nursing home.  But, due to this cold that won’t go away I’m staying home today.  My eyes are all blurry today and I’m having trouble reading so I think I will take a short break.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up