Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE  (Read 26373 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:A PAUCITY OF PEOPLE
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2004, 01:26:39 PM »

DRJANE it's called simply ESTATE SALE and I have it on Cheryl Wheeler's  "Circles & Arrows" CD.  If you can't find, it I will send you a copy....but the whole CD is good.  Cheryl is a keeper!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2004, 01:26:55 PM »

I don't have time to dance....off to the box office.  Laterz!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2004, 01:27:59 PM »

Glad you got to see THE RAINMAKER, DRGEORGE.  I think we videoed ours for some reason....not a good copy, but I may have to dig it out to watch it!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2004, 01:46:15 PM »

Better to dwell on the minutia than to ignore it.

Yes and no. One brilliant but eccentric director I worked with in Canada was obsessed with detail. We were doing a film I wrote for the CBC. A period piece - limited time, limited budget. This director one day spent several hours deciding if the Nazi party buttons that some of the extras had in their lapels were authentic.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2004, 01:59:41 PM »

That's not dwelling on minutia, that's wallowing in it.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

Well, I did spend 2 1/2 hours with THE DAY OF THE LOCUST. First the transfer: not the greatest. Much of the first hour seemed out of focus (even though it's an anamorphic transfer) as if the transfer had been taken from a videotape master. There were Dolby 5.1 and mono options. I picked the 5.1, but there was next to no surround activity even during the on-set calamity or the climactic apocalypse at the movie premiere.

As for the film, it's always been a spastic, spectacular mess. I'm not sure the book was filmable, but you can tell everyone is trying very, very hard to pull off this artsy take on fringe dwellers in 30s Hollywood. The characters just aren't developed well, and there's no one I had the patience to root for for very long. Easy to see why Burgess Meredith pulled off an Oscar nomination; his is the most ingratiating character in the piece. The other leading actors all have moments where they shine, but they just don't consistently seem able to pull it off. I think the screenplay is the biggest problem. Even at 144 minutes, there seems to be large chunks missing from the lives of these people.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2004, 02:22:24 PM »

I think tonight, I'll pull out one of the Marx Brothers' films and maybe another Charlie Chan, though I'm trying not to overdo those so as not to run out of them too quickly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2004, 02:54:12 PM »

Favourite Italian food: Chicken livers cooked in Red wine.  A speciality of Sorrento but I have had them in Rome too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2004, 03:01:29 PM »

Hey, Jane - if Echo won't eat the pills in peanut butter, try giving her the pills hidden in very small bites of moist dog food BEFORE she eats her dinner, while she's still ravenous. When George wouldn't eat pills, we would put them into small pieces of cheddar cheese, and feed them to him before he got his regular meals. Maybe Echo is just plain tired of peanut butter, and would love chicken liver pate?
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2004, 03:40:50 PM »

Favourite Italian food: Chicken livers cooked in Red wine.  A speciality of Sorrento but I have had them in Rome too.

YUM!

I also love the Greek style chicken livers, sekatanoia (sp?) - basically seasoned with oregano, garlic and olive oil, then broiled.  Simple and simply delicious.

Apparently, there's a great Italian place in the neighborhood... And I want to take my friend, Chris, out for a really nice Thank You dinner tonight... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2004, 03:51:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

The auditions went...  Well, they went.  I'll wait for Bk to post the details later...  In the meantime...

I still can't believe that I'm out here in LA!  When just three days ago I was bitching and bitching to my friends in Richmond about not having any work lined up.  And now... WOW!  What is very nice, however, is just how "at home" I already feel.  It's great being able to spend some time with my friend, Chris, again.  Tammy has been a pleasure to get to know and spend time with over the past few days.  *And her boyfriend, Eddie, is also very nice too - and very easy on the eyes too (that's a nice bonus) ;).  And BK, is, of course, BK.  Which is a good thing.  I wouldn't have it - or him - any other way.

I will have some work-work to get done next week - mainly transcribing some songs off recordings - but once I get that stuff finished, then it should be smooth sailing from then on.  And even though there is a lot of music that I will have to learn, I actually already know most it - or at least am familiar with it.

*Oh... As it turned out, the one person I did not call as soon as I landed in Long Beach was my brother who lives out here.  He ended up calling me late last night just to make sure I made it on OK.  It's nice to know he was checking up on me, but I still can't believe that I forgot to call him.  -Of all the people I should have called...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2004, 03:53:30 PM »

Finished watching # 2 Bollywood movie for the weekend. KOHRAA (1964). It was an interesting film that seemed to me to be a remake of REBECCA. Not badly done, but it didn't hold my interest as much as I would have thought it should.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2004, 03:54:14 PM »

DR SWW - As for a pasta machine...  If you do have a KitchenAid stand mixer, the pasta attachments are very nice and very functional.  And if your store happens to carry some of the "attachment bundles", you should be able to get quite a deal with your employee discount.  And they just came out with a ravioli attachment too!  You put the pasta sheets through one set of rollers, and the filling in the hopper - once you turn on the machine, it fills and cuts the ravioli for you!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2004, 03:57:42 PM »

And keeping on the topic of Bollywood ...here is another reason that I like Bollywood movies!

One of India's most popular current actors Mr. Hrithik Roshan.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2004, 03:59:11 PM »

Penny, thanks for the suggestions but Echo doesn’t want the pills.  She will eat peanut butter or the liver pate, or any other treat as long as we don’t put a pill in it.  She is too smart for her own good.  She just got tired of the pills and the additives in her food.  She can be very stubborn when she wants.  She also has a history of getting tired of her food, so much so that I would have to find something new for her.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2004, 04:02:11 PM »

RE: Wallowing directors...  I remember working on a musical at very nice, regional house, and we were in the middle of our first tech.  The curtain came up on the second scene, and all of the sudden the director yelled, "HOLD!" and started running up the aisle all in a huff.  The problem: he thought the tea service that was on the table was the wrong style/look.  And then he demanded that at least three other "samples" be brought out before we proceeded any further.  He just stayed on stage holding the "ugly cup", waiting for the "right one" to be brought out to him.  After about two hours(!) and plenty of scrambling from the props department (and any other "volunteers"), the "right one" finally materialized.  We then brought the curtain down, and re-started the scene.  *And, if I remember correctly, they actually snatched the "right one" from the kitchen cupboard in the actor's house.  Needless to say, we needed both "10 out of 12s" to tech the show.  Ugh!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 04:04:04 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2004, 04:02:48 PM »

Did anyone watch Monk last night?  My brother is sorry he did.  He said it was perhaps the worst ever.  

This show can be so good, yet at times it tries to be funny and it gets stupid.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »

Did anyone watch Monk last night?  My brother is sorry he did.  He said it was perhaps the worst ever.  

This show can be so good, yet at times it tries to be funny and it gets stupid.

I did...  And just had to wonder what all the fuss was about.  And, frankly, I really can't remember any of the details of it right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2004, 04:07:33 PM »

Jose did you see your brother today?  And thanks for the Kitchen Aid tip.  I might look into that.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2004, 04:08:36 PM »

If you have never seen Monk before you really should catch episodes from the first season.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2004, 04:12:15 PM »

OH! Another neat thing about being in LA right now is that a bunch of other actor-friends and musician-friends are out here right now working on various projects.

The drummer and keyboard player for Hairspray were on the Aida tour, and I'm hoping to catch up with them too while I'm out here.

I worked with the aforementioned Danny Gurwin during the aforementioned Kennedy Center's Sondheim Celebration A Little Night Music.  -And, Michelle Pawk's very nice and talented husband, John Dossett, was the Fredrik in that production.  I wonder if John is over on this coast since Gypsy has closed.  Hmmm...

And so on and so on...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2004, 04:18:35 PM »

Jose did you see your brother today?  And thanks for the Kitchen Aid tip.  I might look into that.

My brother, Jay, just moved down to San Diego to start a new job.  Otherwise, I would be staying with him.  -Timing is everything.  Well, actually, his place in LA, now that I think of it, would not have been the most convenient place to stay - just too far from where we'll be rehearsing and performing.  But it was on the water, so...  But I did call him, and now I'm reminded that I need to call my cousin, Angie, who lives right nearby in Studio City (I think - she lives in one of the "cities" out here).

As for the KitchenAid attachements...  I found the best prices on Amazon.com - and since they're all over $25, you get the free shipping too.  Plus, KitchenAid always seems to be offering various rebates throughout the year.  Sometimes it's worth the wait.

*Oh, and I saw the new ravioli attachment at kitchen wares show... I'm not sure if it has actually been released yet on the public market.  But when I first saw it... WOW!  -OH!! And they have a new "ice cream maker" bowl attachment!  -Of course, since I already have my Krups Ice Cream maker... Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2004, 04:20:13 PM »

At this performance of I Am My Own Frenzy, The role of "I" is currently being played by DR JoseSPiano.  With the supporting role played by DR Jane.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2004, 04:24:48 PM »

One rather ancient woman with a warbly vibrato that you could throw a cat through and could not be heard over the heavily miked piano and the clink of silverware should, how can I be kind, retire...

That, Dear Reader Charles Pogue, is the wife of the owner.  (Seriously.)  I've always said the key to success is marrying well.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2004, 04:27:36 PM »

Marin Mazzie was okay...Starbuck was by far the weakest link.

Maybe it was a good thing that I saw the understudies.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2004, 04:27:45 PM »

Amazon's Free Shipping is always such an incentive NOT. If they only would extend it to overseas shipping or at least have some sort of discount shipping incentive.  Shipping usually doubles the price of items from the USA to here. Even surface mail is not an option. Grumble grumble grumble.

We eventually caught up with "Bowling for Columbine" last night.  Disturbing and thought provoking.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2004, 04:30:47 PM »

Jose I hope you and your brother can meet half way while you are there.  That isn’t too bad if you are staying in Long Beach-but do you have a car?

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2004, 04:35:52 PM »

Keith is making onion soup with the Walla Walla onions he grew.  The house smells wonderful.  He asked me to get the sugar from the pantry.  So I leaned over Echo, who likes to sleep in there, and picked up the Tupperware container of sugar.  To my surprise the lid wasn’t shut and much of the sugar spilled out onto the floor and on top of Echo.  She wasn’t happy about that, walked out into the kitchen and did the dog thing-she shook. :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2004, 04:46:25 PM »

Jose I hope you and your brother can meet half way while you are there.  That isn’t too bad if you are staying in Long Beach-but do you have a car?

I'm sure we'll meet up a few times while I'm out here.  I'm actually staying in Los Angeles in the Los Feliz area.  (I just flew into Long Beach - I managed to snag a $99 one-way ticket on JetBlue!)  My brother is always driving back and forth between LA and San Diego for work, so...  He's the "good cousin" since he actually keeps in touch with everyone out here - and can keep track of all the names of all the uncles, aunts, cousins, niece, nephews, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc.  Heck, I finally met my Dad's sister for the first and only time when I was out here last year.  Once the show opens, I'm sure I'll be spending some of the days off down in San Diego with the "gang" - and it really is quite the gang!  *And one of my aunts is actually kind of famous in the Filipino community in San Diego for her lumpia, the Filipino style eggrolls.  I must have had at least a dozen of them in one sitting during my visit last year!  Sooo good!

I don't have a car while I'm out here, but so far - at least for the past two and a half days - everyone seems to be willing to get to me to where I need to get going to.  Additionally, I'm not too far from a MetroLink/MTA station, so, if all else fails, I can make use of the busses and subway system out here.  *There is car in San Diego that I have been offered the use of, but it's a standard, and since I don't drive stick...  Ah, well..

Once the show opens, and I find myself with the down time, I may splurge on a rental car.  We'll see.

But one thing I'd like to do is actually explore more of LA's various neighborhoods.  I could just take the subway, and explore the environs around each stop.  *I also still have my Universal and Disney connections, so I suspect that there will be some theme park time sometime in my future out here.  *I really do want to see the new Snow White show at Disneyland since I have two dear friends in the show.  -OH! I guess I should call them too! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2004, 04:48:49 PM »

-And one nice upshot about having so many relatives out here is that I know they'll be coming to see the show.  I already know that I've "sold" at least 20 tickets so far! :D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up