Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZIP AND THE ZING  (Read 22534 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE ZIP AND THE ZING
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2004, 08:42:59 AM »

MATTH it was a regional production with Noel Harrison...believe it or not...LOL!!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2004, 08:44:34 AM »

I signed a contract on Mom's house -- now the real work begins to meet the escrow deadline.

The only show you all have mentioned that I've seen is "The Fantastics," which must have been a pretty mediocre production, because I wasn't impressed and don't remember much of it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2004, 08:46:13 AM »

Hmmm...a new Bollywood film released this year is coming to DVD...title is TAARZAN, THE WONDER CAR (yes, that is TAARZAN, with double AAs)...I am listening to the soundtrack right now on Raaga internet radio.

I may have to buy the movie just because of the silly title!

Actually, I do wish some of the 1960s Bollywood TARZAN films would get released on DVD! I would love to see them! TARZAN MEETS KING KONG, TARZAN VS. SAMSON, TARZAN IN FAIRYLAND...ect.

I am pretty sure no rights to the Tarzan name were procured! LOL!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2004, 08:47:18 AM »

In keeping with the title of today's column - I give you the girl with Zip!  Zoom!  and  Zowie!  according to the 20th Century-Fox publicity department...Miss Bella Darvi!  :o

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2004, 09:06:21 AM »

I'll have a (partial) George Eads pic up later today. The scanner is upstairs while I'm downstairs and will be leaving for lunch in ten minutes or so.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2004, 09:06:46 AM »

When did Max Von Essen play Dorian Gray?

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2004, 09:07:04 AM »

MATTH it was a regional production with Noel Harrison...believe it or not...LOL!!!

LOL! OK, I guess I can't help, then!  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2004, 09:08:15 AM »

I was having awful problems connecting to the internet with my laptop last week, so much so that I was ready to buy another one. Then, over the weekend, the problems stopped, and it's been working as well as can be expected for a five year old machine since then.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2004, 09:33:46 AM »

Are you fellas talking about the original Ral Bolger/Broadway production of WHERE'S CHARLEY? I have a Playbill if that's any help. Let me know if I can look up something on it for you.

DRMattH, thanks for the offer!  We were trying to locate a program of a tour from around 1967 with Tony Tanner as Charley, which DRJRand and I saw.  My program was lost in a fire in my parents' home in 1972, and DRJRand thinks he might have a program to photocopy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2004, 09:34:27 AM »

Noel Harrison was in the Kenley production!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2004, 09:34:56 AM »

Nobody knows the troubles I've seen with the Broadway Radio Show.  I've not tried this week's entry yet, but EVERY week, it takes me roughly five hours to listen to the whole show.  Every few seconds, the show stops and RealPlayer says "connecting" or some such thing.  Usually, however, the show WILL go from clip to clip.
BK asked whether I'd hear Bounce, and I responded that I'd heard the clips Donald played on the Broadway Radio Hour, which means I heard some songs interrupted by several-minute silent intervals, every few measures.

Of course, I'm on Dial-Up AOL and Windows 98...

Can anyone top that?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2004, 09:35:43 AM »

Actually, I do wish some of the 1960s Bollywood TARZAN films would get released on DVD! I would love to see them! TARZAN MEETS KING KONG, TARZAN VS. SAMSON, TARZAN IN FAIRYLAND...ect.

I am pretty sure no rights to the Tarzan name were procured! LOL!

I would kill to see TARZAN IN FAIRYLAND!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2004, 09:41:49 AM »

Unless, like Noel, you're using dial up and older Windows, the problems with the radio show have nothing to do with your computers.  It has to do with our change of hosts and some sort of incompatability.  Unfortunately, there's nothing to be done about it for the time being, but I'd just ask you to hang in there and enjoy it as you can.  At some point soon we may be able to address this issue and get it back working exactly the way it's supposed to.

What zip! What zing!  That's all I can say.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2004, 09:48:51 AM »

Zing! went the strings of my heart.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2004, 09:53:47 AM »

Of course, I'm on Dial-Up AOL and Windows 98...

Can anyone top that?

Well, I can at least tie with you! ;)

When I don't have access to a cable-modem, I'm usually on a dial-up connection, and I'm still on Windows 98SE (Second Edition - which actually does "help" a lot) - but I have upgraded to AOL 9.0.

Since I don't really use my computer for any "intensive" functions (I don't play computer games, I don't download music, I don't burn CDs, etc.), I've found no real reason to upgrade so far.  And since software companies are actually still making their programs to be compatible with Windows 98... that must mean something.

So for now, so far, so good.  <knock wood>

-Oh, that rhymed! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2004, 11:06:27 AM »

Say WHAT?  Do my eyes deceive me or has there been no post for over an hour.  SLOTH, I tell you, SLOTH.  I hate when my eyes deceive me - my eyes are always cheating on me with other people, and then they just come back like nothing has happened and expect me to TAKE IT.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2004, 11:08:15 AM »

There were 2 workshops of Dorian Grey at the same time about a year ago.  Rupert Holmes wrote one.  Max was in the other.

RAISIN IN THE SUN closed yesterday as scheduled.  I'm just curious in P Diddy ever learned his lines so he could take off the earphone where they were being fed to him or if he wore the earphone the entire run.

Comment on the Equity strike.  It seems to me that the people in the non-Equity tours know what they are getting involved with but they would rather play leading roles in a non-Equity production than ensemble or bits in an Equity show (or go back to their "fallback" job).  Is Equity really worried about the amount of money these people are making or are they more concerned with having these non-union actors replaced with Equity members?  And why strike Broadway if it's the road that is the main concern?  Let the touring Equity productions strike instead.  The main area of contention seems to be about them, not the actors on Broadway.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2004, 11:10:13 AM »

Is this some kind of a sign?

I'm looking for freelance work, and began making phone calls to former clients. I'm finding that there are many new people to deal with. My first call put me through to a manager by the name of - are you ready:

Charity Haines.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2004, 11:13:44 AM »

I won't be seeing THE FROGS. I just checked on ticket availability for the Saturday night after it opens (the only spot we had available) - sold out. GOod news for the show, bad news for me. Now, my trip will REALLY be memorable if Equity strikes. That would take out WICKED and AVENUE Q. At least we'd still get to see THE BOY FROM OZ which negotiated its own contract.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2004, 11:15:36 AM »

In line with today's title, quoting from the Bing Crosby musical JUST FOR YOU (recently released on DVD paired with HERE COMES THE GROOM):

"Won't you zing a little zong with me?"

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2004, 11:19:12 AM »

Comment on the Equity strike.  It seems to me that the people in the non-Equity tours know what they are getting involved with but they would rather play leading roles in a non-Equity production than ensemble or bits in an Equity show (or go back to their "fallback" job).  Is Equity really worried about the amount of money these people are making or are they more concerned with having these non-union actors replaced with Equity members?  And why strike Broadway if it's the road that is the main concern?  Let the touring Equity productions strike instead.  The main area of contention seems to be about them, not the actors on Broadway.

I think your comments are very true, very apt.

The real reason Equity won't handle this by having its tours strike is that, out in tour towns, when a show's not playing, people don't miss it.

Furthermore, there's Equity's biggest fear: that people aren't able to tell the difference between and Equity and a non-Equity tour.  This is the only excuse for all the energy Equity puts in to bad-mouthing non-Eq tours out there.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2004, 11:19:19 AM »

Connected with no problem this time.  Jones & Schmidt - I like anything in THE FANTASTICKS. What's not to like about "Try to Remember"...? A Canadian actor, Bruno Gerussi, now sadly gone, was a fabulous El Gallo. I DO, I DO - makes me cry - any song from it reminds me of other songs and I'm gone. Also like "Guess We Might as Well Stay Married" performed by Mr. Guy Haines and cut from that show. More later if I have no problems logging on to HHW.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2004, 11:21:01 AM »

Here's the promised George Eads picture. Sorry it's only a partial. Blame the makers of the CSI daily calendar who cropped him off the left side of the paper.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2004, 11:36:22 AM »

Is this some kind of a sign?

I'm looking for freelance work, and began making phone calls to former clients. I'm finding that there are many new people to deal with. My first call put me through to a manager by the name of - are you ready:

Charity Haines.

A love child, no doubt.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2004, 11:37:49 AM »

BK, OUT OF THE PAST is as close to perfect as a movie gets.  It's in my top ten, probably my top five.

BK, since Inga and Elliott have opted out...who all is singing tonight?  I assume Mr. Jones and Schmidt.  Is Lesley Anne Warren still going to be there?  The Lovely Wife wants to know if Marin Mazzie is singing tonight.

Mr. Guy Haines has introduced me to four Schmidt songs that have come on as faves...I'm Glad To See You Got What You Want, Evening Star, Roadside, and Wishes Don't Wash Dishes.  I love all of 110 In The Shade and  The Fantasticks.

Elmore, thank you for the memories of the Word Baker era of The Cincinnati Playhouse.  This was the best time for the Playhouse and it and Mr. Baker were a part of my formative years in the theatre.  He came in as Artistic Director when I was in college. And I saw many terrific productions by him there...THE RIVALS, THE PLAY'S THE THING (which had a swimming pool on stage), THE CRUCIBLE, CARAVAGGIO, probably the best HAMLET I ever saw with Daniel Davis (the butler from the Nanny) as Hamlet (He was wonderful...I met him in our local bistro and got to tell him so.  You see an actor's eyes really light up when you tell him that he was the best Hamlet you ever saw.  He also told me some funny stories about some of the actors).  Baker directed Uni. of Cincinnati students in a production of Edward II that was done at night outside on the Playhouse steps and terraces, the audience finding seats where they could.  I think it started around ten or eleven after the regular performance and went late into the night.  It was mesmerizing.

He also directed a production of THE FANTASTICKS there, which The Lovely Wife, Julieanne (who has played the girl and directed a much-lauded production herself) and I went to see.  It was my first time for the show and I was dazzled.  I'm sure I have the program around here someplace...but the one cast member I remember, playing was the father, was a guy who was highly recognizable as the Caravelle Man, which had been a National commerical for the candy bar, Caravelle...I don't know if they even make it anymore.  He did several shows at the Playhouse.

The Playhouse was a great plant.  A wonderful thrust theatre.  

I got to know Word Baker somewhat when he came down to Lexington to be part of a theatre conference.  Several college theatre troupes were to bring scenes which Baker would then re-direct.  My professor chose Hamlet and I was chosen to play Hamlet.  Oddly enough, I had just seen Baker's Hamlet up at the Playhouse.  So when he came to re-direct me in the scene, he used his blocking which I lapped up.  He told me I took direction very well. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but his Hamlet was still fresh in my head, so I knew exactly what he wanted.

He seemed to take a liking to me as did a couple of his staffers at the Playhouse and I would occasionally stopped by when I was home on school breaks to say hello. They would make resume suggestions and tell me places to write to (It's where I became aware of TCG for the first time). I think I may have auditioned for him one more time.  And there was another theatre conference at the Playhouse where he conducted a series of acting exercises with a group of us.  Afterwards a select bunch of us went to his house...for some drinks in Mt. Adams.  It was filled with posters of shows he had done and I remember being very impressed.  He always referred to me as "Hamlet."  I felt a door was opening there (he had used many of his UC students in Playhouse Productions) when he suddenly left as Artistic Director.  He was a very nice man...and a wonderful director.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 12:03:51 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2004, 11:45:57 AM »

I have been watching THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION...it is a long movie.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2004, 12:01:37 PM »

Daniel Davis pops up again. I'm so impressed with his talent. As I mentioned this morning, he plays Shaw in The Frogs and he's marvelous! I also saw him in Talking Heads last year. I was never a fan of The Nanny (she alone could make me run screaming from the room - nails on a blackboard) but I always thought he came off well. After seeing his work in the theatre and listening to him in one of the Theatre Wing performance seminars here in NYC I realized what an excellent and intelligent actor he is.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2004, 12:03:03 PM »

I had it wrong.  Jack Fletcher...the Caravelle Man...was not in THE FANTASTICKS.  He was in a Deitz/Schwartz revue the Baker directed at the Playhouse called Many Happy Returns.  John Glover was also in it.  Deitz also wrote the sketches as well as the lyrics.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2004, 12:09:41 PM »

Equity's fear is not that people can't tell the difference between an Equity show and a non-Equity show.  It's that the non-Equity touring company is being mis-represented as being equivalent to the show that appeared on Broadway under an Equity contract...and  of losing control of a venue that rightfully ought to be under their domain.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »

Does no one but me notice that their Poker Polka has the same melody as Pirelli's Miracle Elixer from Sweeney Todd?  The Polka came first!
The rhythmic structure is the same, but the melodies are different.  S&J play to the major chords, Sondheim plays to the minor.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up