Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT  (Read 21344 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what the big announcement is, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - I'm sure there will be a big announcement about that any moment now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: TERPSICHOREAN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:10:14 AM »

And here is the new Kritzerland limited edition CD release:

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition soundtrack release:

CAREER

Music Composed and Conducted by Franz Waxman

In 1959, Paramount brought Career (based on James Lee’s hit off-Broadway play) to the screen with a terrific cast including Dean Martin, Anthony Franciosa, Shirley MacLaine, Carolyn Jones, Joan Blackman, and Robert Middleton.  The film was directed by Joseph Anthony, who was a successful theater director and an expert at turning plays into films – prior to Career he’d already done two for Paramount: The Rainmaker and The Matchmaker.  The film was a success with audiences and critics, and received three Academy Award nominations – Best Art Direction (Hal Pereira, Walter H. Tyler, Samuel M. Comer, Arthur Krams), Best Cinematography (Joseph LaShelle), and Best Costume Design (Edith Head).   But the film shines in every department, none more so than with its dynamic score by Franz Waxman.

From the exciting opening chords that lead directly into the big city theme, the score is absolutely thrilling.  It is the kind of dramatic scoring that Waxman did so brilliantly.  He gets inside the drama and the characters – the yearning, the hunger, the nastiness, the competiveness, the romance, the first taste of success, the bitter taste of failure after failure – it’s brilliant music from start to finish.  By the time of Career, Waxman’s own career was filled with masterpiece after masterpiece – the 1950s alone brought forth Sunset Blvd., My Cousin Rachel, A Place in the Sun, Prince Valiant, Demetrius and the Gladiators, Rear Window, The Silver Chalice, Mister Roberts, The Spirit of St. Louis, Sayonara, Peyton Place, and The Nun’s Story – to name just a few.  During his long and distinguished career, he was nominated for twelve Oscars and took home the prize twice, for Sunset Blvd. and A Place in the Sun.  He had a unique musical voice and will forever hold a high place in the pantheon of great film composers.

Waxman’s score for Career is presented here complete and in stereo from the original session tapes housed in the Paramount vaults.  We’ve included several bonus cues that appear in the film, including the source music song “(Love Is a) Career” by Sammy Cahn and James Van Heusen, and a little dance music cue composed by Gus Levene, as well as a couple of the cues from the mono music stem.

It’s always thrilling to be able to bring an unreleased Franz Waxman score to CD, especially one as dynamic and beautiful as Career.

Career is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.

CDs will ship the second week of December.  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »

We didn't need words, we had faces....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »

CD has been ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »

And Happy Birthday to (former) DR Jason!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:38:34 AM »

I'm testing my new nook only i can't see what i'm typing.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:47:36 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:47:47 AM »

The end is in sight!!!

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:50:55 AM »

We had an unexpected viewing pleasure yesterday. On Saturday we took out the 1985 BBC Pickwick Papers with Nigel Stock, Clive Swift, Patrick Malahide and others. It's a 12-episode adaptation, with each one lasting a half hour. We ended up watching the entire 6 hours in one afternoon/evening marathon with a break for dinner. It was great fun and very well done.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 01:51:23 AM »

Oatmeal, walnuts, apple, cinnamon and coffee.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:52:28 AM »

Twas a beautiful day yesterday. Temperatures in the 50s and lots of sun. A little more than 3 weeks ago we had a hurricane!

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »

There is no way I will get my performance evaluation finished before I leave for my end of year vacation. My boss knows that and agrees. It will have to happen in January unless I come in for an hour during my time off to appease the gods of HR.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »

And on that note, I will take my leave.

Bowl to wash, coffee mug to wash and news and weather to consume on line and on the television.

Bye for now.

Doug R

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »

I so much agree with today's Notes about the mumbling voices on screen today. I have to switch sub-titles on for most modern films because I can hardly understand a word the actors are saying. And, yes, Christian Bale is one of the worst.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 03:32:04 AM »

Good morning, all.

Happy Monday vibes.

Congratulations, bk, on the move to Broadway World.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 03:32:51 AM »

Ben, that Pickwick miniseries sounds like fun. I'm going to have to see if the library has it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:36:22 AM »

TOD:

Fred Astaire
Cary Grant
Katharine Hepburn
Jimmy Stewart (heck, throw in the rest of the cast of "The Philadelphia Story")
Doris Day
Myrna Loy
Carole Lombard
William Powell
Alec Guinness
Kathleen Turner
Glenda Jackson
Bogart
So many others ...
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 04:25:22 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 05:04:34 AM »

Good morning. I don't know from today's actors. But in my opinion, some of these local women radio/television personalities need some speech therapy or something because many of them have little girl voices. I don't trust an adult woman who talks like a baby.

In other news, I got a permit to enter the newest sewage ponds in town, so maybe I will have a photo or two this afternoon.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 05:30:37 AM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

John G.

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 05:30:56 AM »

Good morning. I don't know from today's actors. But in my opinion, some of these local women radio/television personalities need some speech therapy or something because many of them have little girl voices. I don't trust an adult woman who talks like a baby.

In other news, I got a permit to enter the newest sewage ponds in town, so maybe I will have a photo or two this afternoon.
I hope we get to see photos.
― Voltaire

Sam

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 05:32:56 AM »

Good morning.

It's been rainy since Friday.  Very wonderful for me.  Winter weather almost.

Busy weekend.   Ojai has the holiday lights and decor going up.   Ventura shops have their decor in the windows.   Winter walk is on the 1st, where Main St., brings in a snow machine for the event during the evening hours.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:35:05 AM by Sam »
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 05:33:30 AM »

Panera must have thought if DR Vixmom is complaining then something must be wrong with the food!

Sam

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 05:34:02 AM »

Off to work, I'm late again.

I gave my copy of the Dark Knight away, will not be seeing the new one.

Did not like the first, too gloomy.

Sam

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 05:34:26 AM »

Monday cheers and vibes.

:) ;) ;D 8)

Sam

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »

Still waiting for my visa bill to come in the mail for my new code for paypal.  To order cd's.  Hope what I want is still available.   I hate being in debt.   Have been doing better about getting everything paid on time the last few months.   It's hard to just cut everything out, cold turkey, but I am learning.   Living 65 miles from work has not helped at all.  Gas and car maintance is killing me.

But I am cheerful.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »

I do have music.  8)

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »

Good morning, all.

Oatmeal raisin cookies, banana, coffee.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 06:01:07 AM »

It's not just the voices.  It's the faces, too.  They all look alike.  There are one or two looks, or styles, or types, for the guys, and the same for the gals.

And it's not a "those damn kids today" old-person rant.  The evidence is there on the screen, for anyone who wishes to compare and analyze.  Something different has been going on with the young celebrities (I almost said "actors"), and their followers, in the last couple of decades that I don't believe had ever happened in "the arts".  They really want -- demand -- sameness, much in the same way they demand the movies themselves all look and sound alike.  The plastic-surgery/cosmetic-makeover thing has completely taken over, and has gone completely unquestioned and unchallenged.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up