Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELLY SHOES  (Read 17242 times)

td

• td
Re:SMELLY SHOES
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2004, 08:52:49 PM »

Tomovoz how was your Christmas in July?

Yes, Tom, how was your Christmas in July?
(There was oodles of snow in Blackheath, allowing Mr. Monty to wallow in the white stuff).   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2004, 09:02:04 PM »

You'd be surprised how many people think it is! Especially because the posters and many of the ads said THE Running Man, when I kept telling them there was no "THE"...  
You should have seen the hate mail for the film. I still have some of the letters. We were condemned in Parliament.
Hate surprises me no longer.  And at least you know why I don't use that word flippantly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2004, 09:02:10 PM »

Page 6 dance

Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2004, 09:09:34 PM »

I cooked Chinese-style tonight.  Rice, a shrimp stir-fry, and a chicken braise.  More Chinese because of ingredients than anything else, I guess.

Still, it's nice to have a good fishmonger's just five minutes away from where I work, which is where I got the shrimp.  I think I surprised Richard, the fishmonger, who didn't know that I worked right around the corner from his shop.  (And hopefully he'll be dropping by when he needs equipment, or something!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2004, 09:11:51 PM »

Panni, do my eyes deceive me, or did a film you wrote get condemned in Parliament?  
The Canadian one?
There must be quite a story behind that.

For a moment I thought that Schwartenegger was the middle-aged man discovering his homosexuality, but my eyes DID deceive me on that one
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2004, 09:50:36 PM »

Panni, do my eyes deceive me, or did a film you wrote get condemned in Parliament?  
The Canadian one?
There must be quite a story behind that.

Yes, the Canadian Parliament. It's not that much of a story. This was in the 80's and Canada was fairly conservative (still is, really). The CBC like the BBC is a run by tax dollars. So to present - shudder - a story about a married man, a school teacher at that, coming to terms with his homosexuality, was controversial, to say the least. Many people said that their tax dollars should not pay for "garbage" like this. Statements were read by certain members of parliament and put on record. The world continued turning. I was very young and naive and had no idea that what I was writing would cause problems.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2004, 10:10:28 PM »

Just finished watching Die Mommy Die, about which more later, other than to say it is a very confused film that absolutely does not know what it wants to be - they try to sell it as one thing, they have something totally other in their heads and then all we get on screen is a mish-mash.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2004, 10:17:15 PM »

Quick! Gotta get my official post-shabbat post in!

Sorry for your loss, Jane... may you only know happiness in the future.

One of my fave recent documentaries was a piece called Word Wars, which followed four top Scrabble players on their quest for the national championship. If you liked Spellbound, then you gotta see this one. I'm a bit biased, since I'm working on my own game (colleague of mine is a former champion-caliber player, and has gotten me and the missus hooked), but it's extremely well done.

Dressing? I personally believe in naked salads, but I whip up a couple of mean "balsamic" - based dressings (the quotes are there because there's really no authentic kosher balsamic vinegar that I know of... just the caramel-flavored wine vinegar stuff)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »

Just finished watching Die Mommy Die, about which more later, other than to say it is a very confused film that absolutely does not know what it wants to be - they try to sell it as one thing, they have something totally other in their heads and then all we get on screen is a mish-mash.

Look at Girls Will Be Girls, which was released at around the same time and was intended, too, to be an homage en travesti of sorts and you'd think Die Mommy Die was Citizen Kane.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:30:31 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

td

• td
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2004, 10:22:03 PM »

heartfelt condolences, Jane. . .from you know who.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2004, 10:29:42 PM »

I caught up with Super Size Me this afternoon.  Although I am somewhat leery of the trend of documentarians placing themselves squarely at the center of their films, as is the case with this one, I give it a thumbs up.  

The conceit of Super Size Me, for those Dear Readers who have not seen the film, is that the filmmaker goes on a diet of nothing but McDonald's food for thirty days.  That's three meals a day at Mickey D's, ingesting only what can legitimately be purchased at McDonald's restaurants.  Parallel to this questionable culinary adventure, the filmmaker documents the changes that occur to his body.  He also provides a considerable amount of information about the preponderance of fast food and fast food marketing in our environment, and the societal and physical ills--with obesity at the top of the list--that have resulted.

There's a lot of tongue in cheek humor and a couple of gross-out scenes, but the film is highly engaging and, once you've seen it, it will likely lead you to avoid eating at McDonald's for some measurable period of time.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:57:47 PM by Jay »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2004, 10:30:09 PM »

DIE MOMMY DIE was that production company's follow-up to MY LOUISIANA SKY. Why not, eh? On that note, I'm shutting off the computer for tonight. It's driving me nuts. Maybe the computer elves will fix everything overnight.

Jay

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2004, 10:51:52 PM »

Then this evening I did something soooooooo civilized you'll probably puke (vomit on the ground, in Kritzer lingo) when I tell you about it.

There is a local chamber music society called Southwest Chamber Music.  Each summer, they hold a series of concerts at the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens in San Marino, which is all of three miles, if that, from my house.

The concerts are held on a loggia adjoining what once was Mr. Huntington's home, and a fancy beaux arts mansion it is, now used to display his considerable collection of art and antiques.  (The best known piece in the collection is Gainsborough's "Blue Boy.")

There is seating for about 250 people on the loggia, which is surrounded on three sides by 32 classic Greek columns, which support a coffered ceiling.  Through the columns one can see the elaborate lawns and gardens of the estate and, as the concert begins, the dwindling daylight that transforms itself to dusk.  There is a real sense of this being a salon concert, as if the 250 guests had just finished dining with Mr. and Mrs. Huntington and we all moved from the dining room to the loggia for the evening's entertainment.  Adding to this sense is that the lighting is provided by antique-style floor lamps that one might find in an elegantly decorated home.

The Huntington has just opened a small but rich exhibit on Christopher Isherwood, in celebration of his centenary next month.  (The Huntington acquired Isherwood's papers, letters and other ephemera last year from Don Bachardy, Isherwood's longtime partner.)  In recognition of the exhibit and centenary, Southwest Chamber Music is programming music in each of its four concerts this summer that tie in some way to Isherwood.

Tonight the Isherwood-related piece was the Suite from "The Soldier's Tale," by Igor Stravinsky, who was a close friend of Isherwood's.  The second half of the program was comprised of Mozart's Divertimento No. 17 in D, K. 334.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:59:37 PM by Jay »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2004, 11:57:46 PM »

I caught up with Super Size Me this afternoon.  Although I am somewhat leery of the trend of documentarians placing themselves squarely at the center of their films, as is the case with this one, I give it a thumbs up.  

The conceit of Super Size Me, for those Dear Readers who have not seen the film, is that the filmmaker goes on a diet of nothing but McDonald's food for thirty days.  That's three meals a day at Mickey D's, ingesting only what can legitimately be purchased at McDonald's restaurants.  Parallel to this questionable culinary adventure, the filmmaker documents the changes that occur to his body.  He also provides a considerable amount of information about the preponderance of fast food and fast food marketing in our environment, and the societal and physical ills--with obesity at the top of the list--that have resulted.

There's a lot of tongue in cheek humor and a couple of gross-out scenes, but the film is highly engaging and, once you've seen it, it will likely lead you to avoid eating at McDonald's for some measurable period of time.

"For some measurable period of time??"  My niece saw this movie and has vowed NEVER to eat fast food again!  Especially since she also read the book "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser.  I guess those two are enought to give anyone nightmares!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up