Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL-SINGING ALL-DANCING  (Read 22403 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:ALL-SINGING ALL-DANCING
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2004, 09:36:18 AM »

And one for Mahler!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2004, 09:47:38 AM »

At the third concert there will be more Stravinsky and songs from The Three Penny Opera.  Isherwood was the first to translate Brecht's lyrics into English.

I had forgotten that!  His THREEPENNY OPERA translations are in the THREEPENNY NOVEL, but I don't believe they scan to Weill's melodies.   It's been a long time since I looked at them, and I'm not sure I know where the novel is, these days.  I also recall (from CHRISTOPHER AND HIS KIND, p'raps?) that Auden missed the rowboat reference in the "Barbara Song," and Brecht bluntly pointed it out. Will the songs be sung in German or English, I wonder.  I'm surprised they're not doing the Britten-Auden cabaret songs, since I believe they're from a play co-written by messrs Isherwood and Auden.  

DRJane, I missed your whole nursing home story yesterday.  I'm so sorry!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2004, 09:57:37 AM »

DR RLP - I've only had two broken bones in my life: a collarbone at six and I broke the middle finger on my right hand when I was in the 7th grade; the former required a six month brace (!) while the latter was duly splinted and taped.  It was fun to write on the chalkboards during class, though. ;)

Not that I like to gossp, BUT. . .
the word on the street is that Kattan's dismissal was not entirely stage talent oriented.  Yes, DRs, I have heard that THE CASTING COUCH still lives on. . . .

When Garbo was out in public in Hollywood, didn't she also make the demand that she NOT be introduced as Greta Garbo, but as Harriet some-thing-or-other?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2004, 10:44:42 AM »

Joy wants to throw out our issue of the New York Post declaring Gephardt Kerry's running mate, and I'm having flashbacks to the time my mother forced me to throw out the Nolan Ryan rookie season baseball card.  What should I do?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2004, 10:57:51 AM »

put it in the safety deposit box Noel!! It'll get it out of Joy's way AND it'll stay safe for an ebay sale in the distant future.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2004, 10:58:06 AM »

or... you could always get it framed and turn it into art!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2004, 11:03:09 AM »

Joy wants to throw out our issue of the New York Post declaring Gephardt Kerry's running mate, and I'm having flashbacks to the time my mother forced me to throw out the Nolan Ryan rookie season baseball card.  What should I do?

Desist from making comparisons between your wife and your mother.  I guarantee it will get you into trouble, as you've begun to learn.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2004, 11:14:49 AM »

Desist from making comparisons between your wife and your mother.  I guarantee it will get you into trouble, as you've begun to learn.
You are wise beyond your years, DR. Jay.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2004, 11:18:20 AM »

Elan, thank you, and td too.

Jay, today we are going to see SUPER SIZE ME.  Our son thought it was funny.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2004, 11:22:31 AM »

BK - You should really be careful whilst jumping in and out of showers.  That's a great way to break a bone...

As for broken bones, I've had both arms broken at difference times.  When I was eight I broke my right arm falling out of a tree.  It was a pretty bad break, and I had to have the cast on while going into surgery for something else...it was a pain.  The second time I was...10, I think...broke my left arm roller skating.  I preferred this one, as I am right handed, so at least I had writing capabilities then.  
I well remember the itching factor.  Put vitamin E gel as far under the cast as you can.  The gel, not the lotion.  It'll help with the itching.  

Jane

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2004, 11:27:55 AM »

Tomovoz, your Christmas in July sounds wonderful and a perfect way to remember your mother.

RLP GOOD AND SPEEDY HEALING VIBES!!
For a rather long period of time I lost the use of my right hand due to an infection (somehow managed to get in the middle of my dogs fighting).  At least I could use my arm and I learned how to do an amazing number of things with left hand.  Driving was the easiest of them to do.  Everything took a very long time.  Do you have friends you can ask to help you to do little things like cook or do the dishes?  I wish I had had a computer at the time because you couldn’t read my writing.  As for tips, sorry I don’t really have any.  Patience is what you need, and some help from anyone you can get it from.  Don’t be shy.  Just remember, everything does take a long time to do, but you will get better with time.

Jane

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2004, 11:34:18 AM »

Don't throw it out, send it to TCB.

Jane

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2004, 11:36:49 AM »

elmore you are forgiven.  :D

Today I am back to my usual happy self. :)  All it takes is a great walk with Echo on a beautiful day. :)

Panni

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2004, 12:21:29 PM »

Glad you're back to your old self, Jane.

Tom - I agree with everyone that Christmas in July sounds lovely. How about starting a movement for Hanukah in June?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »

Lots of things.  Chris Kattan?  Why would anyone think he was funny, anyway?  "Comics" like him are the main reason I watch MadTv!  Thanks for sharing the information!

td - Casting couch?  Chris Kattan?  Oh my....it must be terrible to be a flop onstage AND off.

yes DRJANE, I enjoyed your story yesterday.  My sisters and I visit nursing homes regularly - sometimes it is difficult....but I keep remembering, I get to go home!

RLP - good vibes for you.  No broken bones ever here....a broken collar bone by one brother, otherwise very fortunate!!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2004, 12:49:07 PM »

Thanks for sharing the info DRderBRUCER!  I should give credit where credit is due.

DR GEORGE...LOL....I didn't have anything to say after the first post.....it was 2 a.m.    

I did get applause on my egress on closing night and nice applause on the curtain call.  All in all a nice $ucce$$ful run of FATHER OF THE BRIDE for the theatre.

details please TD....we MUST know what you have heard!

DRMATTH - what did Variety find positive?  This would be good news, if the reviewer is dependable!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2004, 01:08:15 PM »

Patience is what you need, and some help from anyone you can get it from.  Don’t be shy.  Just remember, everything does take a long time to do, but you will get better with time.

Jane, have you any idea how much patience it takes to button- up a pair of proper-fitting 501s one-handed! (Right-handed, maybe; left-handed, never!)

DR RLP - I just wanna say one word to you. Just one word. (Are you listening? ) VELCRO!

der Brucer (having suffered through a broken sholder, I can "share your pain" - and I don't envy you your rehab)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2004, 01:13:37 PM »

Congrats, JRand!

RANT WARNING

I really think all this Chris Kattan rumor stuff is rather silly. (Yes, I've heard all kinds of rumors.) I don't think it was sex or drugs or bestiality or the misalignment of the planets. I DO think it was the fact that someone who has absolutely no musical theater experience was thrust into a major Sondheim musical about to open on Broadway. The man is not a singer, a dancer or a stage actor or even a screen actor. He is an improv sketch artist. He is also not a huge name who would have brought in mega-bucks. He was doing badly, he wasn't getting better. They were unhappy with him. So why look for reasons other than that for why he was fired? End of rant. (BTW - I also have "sources" pretty close to the action who agree with the above.)

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »

details please TD....we MUST know what you have heard!
Now, now. . .if I said anymore, it would be IDLE gossip.  Not ERIC Idle gossip, either.  But, then it's only gossip anyway, something to keep people's tongues wagging up every alley and LANE.  ;)

td

• td
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2004, 01:17:03 PM »

Yuck and double yuck, Panni's idea of bestiality hadn't been brought up. . . .UNTIL NOW.   :o
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 01:17:47 PM by td »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2004, 01:33:37 PM »

Had a great time this afternoon watching the DVD of the Spencer Tracy version of FATHER OF THE BRIDE. Funny, insightful, touching - one of the great domestic comedies ever. And that DVD transfer could not be any better. It was taken from a print in perfect condition, and I didn't notice any blemishes on it at all.

And how intelligent Vincente Minnelli was to focus on Elizabeth during most of the wedding ceremony. The photography and transfer to DVD is so sharp you can see ever flicker of the tears in her eyes. Very, very beautiful.

Then, I put in another Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes tale - "The Second Stain." Not a great mystery but certainly an enjoyable 50 minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2004, 01:53:26 PM »

Yuck and double yuck, Panni's idea of bestiality hadn't been brought up. . . .UNTIL NOW.   :o

I have my sources among the animals (Pete the Turtle and Abie the Wonderdog) who say Onay on that count (all animals speak Pig Latin).

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2004, 01:54:41 PM »

Here are the first three paragraphs of the VARIETY review of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. The reviewer is Todd McCarthy, a writer who I believe is astute, level-headed, and practical in his evaluations with eyes on both the artistic achievements (or lack thereof) of films and also of their potential box-office grosses.

Crammed with enough creepy contemporary vibes to keep conspiracy theorists occupied through the November election, Jonathan Demme's new take on "The Manchurian Candidate" absorbingly and sometimes mesmerizingly validates the initially questionable idea of remaking one of the certified classics of the '60s. Structurally and thematically similar to John Frankenheimer's original but entirely different in style, feel and nuance, this political thriller about a brainwashed soldier being positioned for the White House provides a delectable network of dramatic tripwires that teases the mind and quickens the pulse.

This is brainy popcorn fare that, given its outstanding cast and exploitably relevant content, should play well with all audiences through the summer and beyond, even if a couple of commercial doubts linger; the original, despite wide acclaim, disappointed on initial release, and it's possible the story's real-life implications may cut too close to the bone.
Despite its basis in the Richard Condon novel and George Axelrod script that drove the 1962 film, Demme's picture, with its ambiguous mood and unsettling tension, also recalls Alan J. Pakula's shadow-world suspensers of the '70s: "Klute," "The Parallax View" and "All the President's Men." By outfitting the superbly insinuating basic story with a battery of up-to-the-minute concerns that readily feed on present fears and suspicions, Demme and screenwriters Daniel Pyne and Dean Georgaris inject new life into a recently dormant genre -- the paranoid thriller -- that talented filmmakers might do well to revisit more regularly.

After making his biggest career stumble last year with "The Truth About Charlie""The Truth About Charlie" (a remake of another cherished '60s title, "Charade""Charade"), Demme has bounced back with a picture that, in unexpected ways, stands as a companion piece to "The Silence of the Lambs." Both films, in the end, are about mind control and manipulation, about the diverse ways that evil can be instilled in well-intended people. The two works bore deeply into the heads -- literally, in this case -- of their central characters, to scary effect in both instances.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 01:56:29 PM by Matt H. »

Panni

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2004, 01:56:36 PM »

Haven't got time to cheerlead, dear people. But we must get our butt cheeks moving and do more posting. There's bk slaving over a hot rehearsal, expecting to come home to hundreds of delectable and delightful posts. And what have we got for him? 51 posts so far?! 51! Skammen. Double skammen.

Panni

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2004, 01:59:05 PM »

Make that 55 posts. And Triple Skammen.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2004, 02:19:25 PM »

Good news for me if we have chat tomorrow night, even if it is 8 p.m. EDT. I can finally come to one after a long absence!  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2004, 02:20:58 PM »

Or 56!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2004, 02:21:47 PM »

Hmmmmmmm....thanks for the review DR MATTH....hmmmmm.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2004, 02:23:25 PM »

MATTH - I am watching FOB on DVD right now.  And yes, it is a lovely movie.  I first saw it when Miss Frances Farmer presented it on her afternoon movie show back in the early 1960's.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2004, 02:25:34 PM »

well all right DR TD - of course DRPANNI is correct in that he had no business in the show in the first place...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up