Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL-SINGING ALL-DANCING  (Read 22402 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:ALL-SINGING ALL-DANCING
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2004, 02:26:55 PM »

I hope I shall be forgiven for being absent this morning. I was at church, then took one of the sweet older ladies out for lunch. This particular lady has lost three dear church friends in the last nine months (my mother being one of them), and she needed cheering up, as the most recent loss was last Tuesday.

Now I am going in to tidy up my "office," and I hope I win the battle.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2004, 02:29:16 PM »

ON LOCATION WITH BK!

bk reports that the big all-day rehearsal is going "amusingly." The choreography is shaping up as amusing and fun.
He sends his best to all and finds 58 postings "unacceptable."

Panni

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2004, 02:31:29 PM »

...Okay 62 postings. Still unacceptable.

Panni

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2004, 02:33:16 PM »

DR Laura - You think that Church and helping out dear old ladies in mourning is some kind of excuse for not posting? Really!

Panni

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2004, 02:34:23 PM »

I am a frenzy of one. But I must get back to work, so I shall now become a frenzy of none.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2004, 02:35:48 PM »

Oy! Such a day!  My neighbor on the top floor needs a good gay real estate attorney fast!  His companion of 30 years has been institutionalized for alzheimers, and the lease is under his name.  The landlord is now trying to evict him, and because he has no legal rights as next of kin, he has only a few weeks to prove domestic partnership,  I signed his petition saying they'd been living as a couple when I moved into the building in 1980, but I think he needs a good Lam,bda Legal Defense person ASAP.

The Mickey-Judy act premiers next week in San Diego with the symphony, if any of you California dwellers are interested.  I'd love to see Jeff and Shauna, and I'd love to hear the symphony play my charts.  So, here's a plug.  Getting this concert together - from the original person in charge who screwed it all up to copyists who have no pride in their work and needed lots of babysitting - was an ordeal, and I want it to go well for the artistes involved.

I've been back from Goodspeed a week now and all I've done is lounge around the apartment and enjoy my privacy in my own space.  Tomorrow I go back to the Recording Project to continue work on a new edition of BABES IN TOYLAND, deal with the Nov 2004 performance of TAN MANHATTAN for the Chicago Humanities Fesatival, and have a meeting about an upcoming production of NIGHT OF THE HUNTER in San Francisco.  My self-indulgent intermezzo is over.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2004, 02:40:38 PM »

DR RLP - I second the VELCRO vote and add pants with elastic waistbands...NO drawstrings.

DRMATTH....what is the song that is playing at the end of FOB when Tracy dances with Joan Bennett?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2004, 02:58:44 PM »

I'm off to find another DVD to watch before SIX FEET UNDER comes on. Have no idea what I'll end up picking.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2004, 03:03:24 PM »

DRMATTH....what is the song that is playing at the end of FOB when Tracy dances with Joan Bennett?

I'll have to go back and watch the end, DR Jrand and get back to you about that. I know, I just finished watching it (well at 2:30 this afternoon; it's 6 p.m. now), but I did watch a Sherlock Holmes TV show afterwards. I'll come back and psot later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2004, 03:05:40 PM »

Well I am back home and a torrential rainstorm. I refuse to drive the the highways and byways of southern florida if I don;t have to. The idiots speed with no concern for their lives or anyone else.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2004, 03:06:19 PM »

Good afternoon all.  It’s still been raining on and off all day long.  Every time I felt it was safe to go online, it would start right back up and I didn’t want to take the chance with the new computer just yet.

I’ve spent the day (in between showers) reloading all of my programs.  I finely have my Pocket PC synced with the computer so I have all of my e-mail addresses back.  Hoo and Ray!

Jane, I just want to say how sorry I am about your loss.  If I had read the board before posting and running, I would have known about it last night.  Please accept my most sincere condolences.  You are to be commended for your dedication to those who would love to have an animal in their lives and thanks to you, do.  

TCB, I am also so very sorry to hear about your accident!  Healing vibes to you!  I’m more concerned that you were all alone when this happened! Is there no one to help you out for a few days until you find your feet (so to speak)?

As for the question about broken bones, the only one I have is my right pointer finger.  I think I’ve told the story before about how I slammed my hand in the car door and when I pulled it out, every finger was one over.  Without thinking, I put everything back. I didn’t bother to go the doctor (dumb) until weeks later when the pointer finger kept hurting me.  The doctor said I had done an excellent job of putting everything back.  Except that one finger that was indeed broken and not set correctly.  

By that time, the only thing he could have done was re-break and set it.  I decided to leave it as it was.  

I’ve had some pain in the finger in the winter and when it rains a lot.  Last year I started noticing a bump on my middle finger by the top joint.  My finger was also very stiff and hard to bend.  As the winter went on, I started to notice the finger was turning.  I went back to the doctor who decided that an x-ray was in order.  When the test came back, I was told that I threw a positive for RA and it was all through my hand.  Then I was told, no, not RA just regular arthritis.  

All well and good but now my ring finger has the same bump and is turning as well.  If I put my right hand up to my left hand, it is easy to see that the right hand fingers are twice the size of the left.  I blame the car door vs hand accident for the arthritis.  My left hand is fine.   Those little accidents you have when your young and think nothing of can come back to haunt you in later life.  

DR Tom—I find it so hard to picture it being cold in Australia right now.  Do you have snow?  Picture, please.  

Are we having chat tonight?  I don’t care which night we have it, I just want to know when so I can be there.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2004, 03:12:40 PM »

I've been away, because I've been working double shifts (and then some!) for the past week.  One day, I think it was Wednesday, I put in twenty-one hours.   Oy vay...!  Luckily, what's done is finally done, and I get a few days off, now.  And I do so love getting the paycheck with all the overtime.  

So, over the next day or so, I'll have the pleasure of catching up on the last few days' worth of postings.  

As for my missed Friday Medea Czech:

On deeveedee: nothing.
On CD: nothing.
On laserdisc: nothing.
What I've read: boring legal stuff.
What I'm going to start reading tonight: The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane by Robert E. Howard.
What I'm going to watch later tonight: the season finale of Queer as Folk.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2004, 03:18:12 PM »

No chat tonight, Danise. Possibly early tomorrow, as I recall. Unless I missed something, it was not TCB, but RLP who had the accident. NO MORE ACCIDENTS! THAT'S AN ORDER! (Whew! That felt good.)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2004, 03:19:48 PM »

The Mickey-Judy act premiers next week in San Diego with the symphony, if any of you California dwellers are interested.  I'd love to see Jeff and Shauna, and I'd love to hear the symphony play my charts.  So, here's a plug.  Getting this concert together - from the original person in charge who screwed it all up to copyists who have no pride in their work and needed lots of babysitting - was an ordeal, and I want it to go well for the artistes involved.

If I didn't have a previous commitment, I would go, Dear Reader Elmore.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 03:21:03 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2004, 03:27:54 PM »

EEK, my bad.  I'm sorry to both RLP and TCB.  My best vibes to both.  I still haven't figured out how to make the print bigger and you know I have a sight problem as it is.  I must have seen the 3 letters and ignored the picture.  

How early for chat?  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2004, 03:37:28 PM »

What is one to think when one gets an email from Amparo and the subject is "Jawbone"?

Jay

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2004, 03:38:39 PM »

I saw Touch of Pink this afternoon, Dear Readers.  It is a new gay romantic comedy that is in limited release.  I give it a big thumbs up.  

It would be unfair to call the film derivative, as it is quite original, but if you like Cary Grant, films that make reference to classic movies, The Wedding Banquet, Bend It Like Beckham, My Beautiful Laundrette or Mambo Italiano (the film, not the song), you'll find something to enjoy in this picture.

Confidential to the errant and truant Dear Reader MBarnum:  although the film is NOT done in Bollywood style, it does feature as its protagonist the actor who played the lead in The Guru.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 10:45:16 PM by Jay »

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2004, 03:45:10 PM »

Important things first:
The best of wishes and thoughts to RLP.

I am late on board this morning - the after effects of Christmas Dinner. Did I misread something or was some actor caught in an unseemly position on a couch with a frog?  I hope no new rumours have been spawned.

"A Touch Of Pink" - I think that was a hit song for the Ray Charles singers in the late 1950's.

More later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2004, 03:48:59 PM »

What is one to think when one gets an email from Amparo and the subject is "Jawbone"?

Is it from an ass?  Samson?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2004, 04:13:34 PM »

I never thought of that DRELMORE....never thought of that!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2004, 04:14:07 PM »

For some reason, today, when I think of the jawbone of an ass....all I can picture is Chris Kattan.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2004, 04:27:36 PM »

For some reason, today, when I think of the jawbone of an ass....all I can picture is Chris Kattan.

Is this a casting couch reference?

Ben

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2004, 04:30:43 PM »

Hello, one and all.

Firstly, the most important. DR Elmore, Anthony and I had a wonderful time last evening. We had dinner at a lovely, quiet place called Wai Cafe? (pronounced Why although I don't know why, perhaps because a ? is part of the name). I had an excellent tortellini with salmon, Elmore had crab cakes and Anthony had gazpacho and a mushroom and a chicken crepe. We then went back to our apartment where much talk and laughter and dish ensued. We desserted on lovely Blueberry Cake, Peach Cake (from the Union Square greenmarket) and Haggen Daz vanilla ice cream. Ummm, ummm, ummm. Anthony and I will have more of the cake this evening (we had lovely broiled salmon, saffron rice and fresh steamed string beans, again from the Union Square greenmarket, for dinner) and perhaps watch something on television or video.

Much was learned about DR Elmore (I won't spill beans here ;-) and much was learned by him about us. He was the first guest to our newly re-decorated apartment and he did express some slight jealousy about the fact that we actually have a separate kitchen (oh, those poor people who live in studios). All in all, a grand time was had by all. Since DR Elmore works in the neighborhood (on world famous 14th Street, site of the long gone Harmonia Gardens) we will most likely see more of him in the future. A welcome thing, indeed.

And now, I must be off to ride the exercise bike, shower and then have our dessert (it's because I ride the exercise bike that I can have dessert, doncha know).

Panni

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2004, 04:42:34 PM »

ON LOCATION WITH BK!

All is still going well. By the end of the rehearsal tonight two numbers will be fully choreographed.
bk sends his love and finds that the posting numbers are now creeping toward the acceptable range.

Jay

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2004, 04:42:35 PM »

I must depart anon for the Hollywood Bowl.  Mr. John Mauceri is leading the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra this evening.  The first half of the program features the Joffrey Ballet, which will perform Act II of Tchaikovsky (ah, a Kurt Weill reference)'s The Nutcracker.  (Our own version of Christmas in July in the Wood of Holly.)  The second half will feature Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, as orchestrated not by Maurice Ravel, but rather by Leopold Stokowski.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 04:46:10 PM by Jay »

Panni

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2004, 04:49:06 PM »

BONUS FEATURE! -- ON LOCATION WITH DR JOSE!

DR Jose, while toiling away at the piano, reports that bk is forcing him - yes FORCING him - to eat Krispy Kreme donuts.
According to bk, DR Jose has eaten 3. DR Jose categorically denies this and says it was only 2. There is talk of going for PIE after rehearsal.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2004, 04:53:34 PM »

We are very close to Page Four. There is something very wrong with my server of some such thing because each post takes about a minute to land, so I'm hoping by the time this one lands, we actually WILL be on Page Four. Because I don't like being a frenzy of one. No sir. I do not.

Panni

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2004, 05:05:29 PM »

Still a frenzy of one? Can't believe it. Come on, gang, help me out here.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2004, 05:09:29 PM »

Jane, have you any idea how much patience it takes to button- up a pair of proper-fitting 501s one-handed! (Right-handed, maybe; left-handed, never!)

;D ;D I think I do.  Zippers are difficult enough to do left handed.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2004, 05:10:56 PM »

JRand do you do anything special when you visit nursing homes or simply visit with the residents?  It is great you can go with your sister.

We just returned from SUPER SIZE ME.  Just about everyone should have to see this movie. :) :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up