Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CHOREOGRAPHY  (Read 12956 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:CHOREOGRAPHY
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2004, 09:17:10 AM »

"Musical purists may wish they had Fierstein, but Vilanch does bring something new to this production. In his Act 2 number, "Timeless to Me," Vilanch brought down the house as he broke character and interjected his own signature zingers into the show (On opening night, he let fly with Gov. Schwarzenegger, Whoopi Goldberg and Linda Ronstadt jokes, though they will likely evolve nightly as the run continues)."

Oh, that is just SO wrong.....so wrong......

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2004, 09:19:20 AM »

But in honor of Miss Winokur and Mr. Vilanch, the Page Two dance shall be the:

[move=left,scroll,2,transparent,100%]Cockroach[/move]

You really CAN'T stop the beat!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 09:20:54 AM by Stuart »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2004, 09:22:07 AM »

I should mention that the L.A. Times Hairspray review carries the byline:  By James C. Taylor , Special to The Times.  That's a name I only see intermittently in the pages of the Times and a proviso that usually leads me to take a grain of salt with whatever appears below it.

It is a pity that the Times has not appointed a rock solid anchor theate critic to its ranks.  It's quite a good paper in general, and in other arts areas, its coverage is excellent.  There's a team of five film reviewers who cover every film that opens in town, including the tiniest indies that open on one screen and disappear after a week.  All five write well and I generally respect the opinions of four of them.  (Sorry, Mr. Thomas.)  We have in the Times excellent coverage of classical music and pop music, dance and architecture.  Though I don't pay close attention to it, its coverage of television fills ample space regularly.

When it comes to theatre, however, it's hit and miss as to what gets reviewed, when, and by whom.  Given how much theatre is produced in the L.A. region, it really is a shame.

End of rant.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2004, 09:33:12 AM »

My in-laws are threatening to come for a visit in a week.  Just a drop-in sort of thing, for a couple of hours.

Hopefully, I'll be at work.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2004, 10:00:28 AM »

The Times reviewer situation is a joke.  "special to the Times"  I mean, really, how can you take seriously anything where they're just getting anyone to do these "reviews"?

I never saw Zulu and the Zayda but did have the cast album on Columbia.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2004, 10:11:39 AM »

No Z&Z, but tomorrow I go to the matinee of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.  I've never seen it and am looking forward to it. I'd prefer the evening performance, but I've never driven by myself to the Dorothy Chandler - have always been driven or had someone next to me giving directions - tomorrow I'm on my own, so daytime is better. End of digression.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2004, 10:12:58 AM »

TCB-CONGRATULATIONS!

François I found the information on Wagner interesting.  To me, even more interesting is why my father and his family changed their names from Wyner (Weiner) to Wagner.  If they had only known……  I wonder what my maiden name would have been.  Hey, I’m just grateful it wasn’t Wyner.

Jay

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2004, 10:17:56 AM »

It's rather easy:

Hollywood Freeway/101 south to Temple Street.  Make a left at the end of the ramp onto Temple and an immediate right onto Grand.  Turn right into the Music Center parking structure.

To save three bucks ($5 vs. $8) and enjoy a relatively simplified parking experience, instead of turning left onto Temple at the end of the exit ramp, proceed gaily forward onto Hope, and turn right into the DWP parking lot.

And enjoy the show!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 10:22:15 AM by Jay »

Panni

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2004, 10:18:57 AM »

Just reread what I wrote above. Realized that it's actually not true -- the "looking forward to it" part. I'm feeling a bit low - very low -  and am not really looking forward to anything. I'll probably delete this before posting it, but am writing it as an exercise to get it down on paper. Of sorts.  I actually went back to bed this morning after my brisk walk. Stupid. The brisk walk is supposed to get the day going. Pulled the covers over my head. Cliche. I hate being a walking cliche. Literally this time. Good old Abie sensed something was not well with the world and cuddled in right next to my back. IF I hit Post - no guarantee it actually would post with the way my Internet is working - don't send vibes, DRs. Vibes are needed elsewhere and I'll climb out of the feeling low pit soon enough, I would think. Off to shower.

Panni

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2004, 10:22:42 AM »

Thank you, Jay. I already have the same brilliantly simple directions, with a few "Stay in the left two lanes and you CAN'T get lost" thrown in from our fearless leader. I'll make it. I'm a big girl. But when I win the lottery I get a chauffeur. 6'2", lots of muscles,  a great smile and a charming personality. I guess he should know how to drive, too.

Jay

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2004, 10:25:15 AM »

I sending vibes anyway, Dear Reader Panni, with the hope that you feel better real soon, and certainly before tomorrow's matinee.

Even if the vibes don't work, I guarantee that once the lights dim and the five singers begin the "Overture," you'll perk up immediately.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2004, 10:27:50 AM »

Thank you, Jay. I already have the same brilliantly simple directions, with a few "Stay in the left two lanes and you CAN'T get lost" thrown in from our fearless leader. I'll make it. I'm a big girl. But when I win the lottery I get a chauffeur. 6'2", lots of muscles,  a great smile and a charming personality. I guess he should know how to drive, too.

Panni -- Considering your current state of mind, perhaps you should wear a life preserver in the shower?

When you win the lottery, can I just ride around town with the chauffeur???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2004, 10:30:55 AM »

Whoops!  Media report

VCR:  The ANGELS IN AMERICA boxed set (thanks to a lovely lady that I would be honored to call my friend).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2004, 11:00:10 AM »

I still have ZULU & ZAYDA on LP but don't think I've played it since I got it when it first came out.

Is "The Bourne Supremecy" a sequel to "Bourne Yesterday"?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2004, 11:06:01 AM »

I'm a big girl. But when I win the lottery I get a chauffeur. 6'2", lots of muscles,  a great smile and a charming personality. I guess he should know how to drive, too.

It all depends on which engine he's charging!  

I'm sorry you're feeling down, DRPanni; could this be a sort of postpartum depression after finishing your work?
Feel better and enjoy the show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »

Is "The Bourne Supremecy" a sequel to "Bourne Yesterday"?

Sounds better than "Bourne Again"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2004, 11:07:42 AM »

My brother in L.A. was invited to go to HAIRSPRAY.  He isn’t sure he wants to go and asked me.  Is it good?  What shall I tell him?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2004, 11:14:30 AM »

I still have ZULU & ZAYDA on LP but don't think I've played it since I got it when it first came out.

Is your collection organized alphabetically?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2004, 11:17:08 AM »

Perk up, Panni!

Treat yourself to some bling-blings or new shoes!

OR SOMETHING TOTALLY SCRUMPTIOUS!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2004, 11:18:21 AM »

It is Friday and the forecast is sunny and 102 degrees! Yikes!

Probably will go to the river with friends tomorrow...but this time I will take sunscreen and a hat...I promise Jane!

:) :) :) And don't forget to reapply it after you have been out for a couple of hours. :)

Jay

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2004, 11:21:51 AM »

My brother in L.A. was invited to go to HAIRSPRAY.  He isn’t sure he wants to go and asked me.  Is it good?  What shall I tell him?

I see it on August 5.  Mr. Vilanch's reported shennanigans notwithstanding, based on the rest of the review, the buzz surrounding the tour, and the show's success in New York, I do believe "yes" and "go" are the appropriate responses to your questions.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2004, 11:30:04 AM »

Thanks Jay.  I also posted my question before reading today's posts.  I also told him he can leave at intermission if he isn't enjoying the show.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2004, 11:36:17 AM »

Jane,

The Toronto production of Hairspray was mixed. Strong male lead (Edna) and supporting cast; extremely weak female lead (Tracy). Even then the show was enjoyable. Loud, but enjoyable.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2004, 11:44:53 AM »

Jane - I agree with telling your bro to see HAIRSPRAY. Especially as he's been invited, so I assume it's free.
BTW - I answered your email last night, but I no longer trust AOL, so I can't assume you got it.

Movie I'd like to see - A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD. Sounds really good. Even if they HAVE cut Mr, Farrell's Full Monty.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2004, 12:26:41 PM »

Movie I'd like to see - A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD. Sounds really good. Even if they HAVE cut Mr. Farrell's Full Monty.

I read that his full monty is still uncut.

Ben

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2004, 12:34:08 PM »

Breaking a long standing rule

GROOOAAANNN

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2004, 01:04:08 PM »

HAIRSPRAY is fun, fabulous show.  I would be surprised if ANYONE who saw it did not have a wonderful time!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2004, 01:06:57 PM »

Hairspray is not brilliant theater, but it's slick and entertaining and very well done.  I've heard mixed about Mr. Vilanch.  Harvey Fierstein was wonderful in NY.  Also, in NY, Dick Latessa played Tracy's father and Edna's hubby - Mr. Latessa is about seventy two or thereabouts.  Here it's being played by Todd Sussman, who is my age.  Don't know how that works or doesn't work.  Funnily, I got a call yesterday asking me if I wanted to see Hairspray tonight.  All the prime orchestra seats are being used for an ASCAP benefit and party afterwards.  Apparently some rich person is not using her ticket ($1,000 pricetag) and it was offered to me, along with the party.  But, as you know, I'll be at rehearsal, so I had to say nay.

I did see Mr. Marc Shaiman yesterday (they were casting for replacements at our rehearsal studio) and we had a lovely chat about many things.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2004, 01:36:42 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]La! La! La-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a![/move]

(For the benefit of DR François, that's "La! La! La-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a!" en français).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2004, 01:51:40 PM »

Yes my collection is alphabetical and yes ZULU comes last so even though I never play it the cover is always on display.

Mr. Villanch is taking over in NY in Oct.  I hope they curtail his adlibs here.  It may work in some shows, but it is totally wrong for Edna in HAIRSPRAY.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up