Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CROOKED NOTES  (Read 16014 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CROOKED NOTES
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2004, 09:16:53 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2004, 09:18:14 AM »

For a glass full of pure nostalgia, nothing compares to an egg cream.

(And I will state once again for the record that said drink contains neither egg nor cream.)

Along the same lines ( ;D), "shoo-fly pie" contains no flies.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2004, 09:28:53 AM »

What a time I had logging on! I just bought a scooter at a garage sale.. Like I used to have when I was kid. only made of steel. Photo later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2004, 09:31:48 AM »

Okay, she of the Evil Eye has arrived and I must hie hie hie (that is three hies).  I'll be back around one.  Keep the home fries burning.

Jed

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2004, 10:09:05 AM »

Dr. Pepper definitely tops my list, anytime anywhere.  

Also enjoy root beer, Coke, or Sprite now and then in the soda department.  Oh, and ginger ale.  Iced tea another favorite (add me to the list who wants mine unsweetened, with a bit of lemon).  Lemonade always quite nice, as long as it's not that pink stuff.  I'm also a sucker for Kool-Aid during summer, particularly orange or cherry.  Rarely ever a coffee drinker.

As for alcohol... red wine over white anytime for me, with a zinfandel or syrah being tops on my list.  Always enjoy a good beer, Alaskan Amber being my most frequent choice.  As for hard stuff, can't go wrong with a margarita, or I'll often go with a whiskey sour.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2004, 10:13:44 AM »

Re: Drinks
Non-alcoholic can be good.  I'm with RLP about unsweetened iced tea.  I don't understand the Southern thing about drinking sugar syrup, I really don't.  

Speaking as a native southerner, I have to weigh in with my own opinion on this:  For most of my early life (1950s & 60s), the water that came out of our taps was pretty ghastly  -- often labeled "hard" or "soft" dependent upon the mineral content, insult was added by chlorination and, in some cases, fluoridation.  More often than not, drinking plain water left you dissatisfied, but it slaked thirst.  It was not the religious experience I enjoy now when drinking water.  Iced tea became the main beverage with meals because sugar allowed you to disguise/hide the ghastly mineral taste.  Same thing applies to coffee -- sugar and cream provided the mineral camouflage.

Most southern water utilities now filter out the minerals and you get decent tasting water in your home.  The taste for sugar water, however, seems to have lingered...primarily (again IMO) becase most southerners don't concern themselves with how to properly brew the tea, meaning that most of it turns out bitter and lots of sugar disguises the bitterness.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 10:18:11 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jed

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2004, 10:16:31 AM »

Will be taking off later on this morning for the wedding of two good friends of mine.  Should be a wonderful time, with many of my closest college friends in attendance.  Just hope it's not too unbearably hot out!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2004, 10:30:56 AM »

NEWLYWEDS LEAVE DAVENPORT FOR HOT SPRINGS  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 10:31:12 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2004, 10:32:33 AM »

Coffee in the wintertime, black.
Iced tea in the summertime, plain.
Any diet cola any time of year.

I have a date today with a nine-year-old friend, who is accompanying me to The Music Man.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 10:33:50 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2004, 10:37:50 AM »

NEWLYWEDS LEAVE DAVENPORT FOR HOT SPRINGS  ;D

:D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2004, 10:43:39 AM »

I have a date today with a nine-year-old friend, who is accompanying me to The Music Man.

Unchaperoned?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Emily

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2004, 11:53:22 AM »

Favourite Drinks (non-alcoholic):

Morning: Coffee with 2% milk and sugar

Afternoon and Evening : Diet Coke with Lime, Dr. Pepper, Spruce Beer (it's a localized type of soda) with salt, Iced Tea with a little bit of sugar

Favourite Drinks: (Alcoholic)

Lime Margaritas, Rye Whiskey and Ginger Ale, Smirnoff Ice (when I feel nostalgic for my CEGEP days) and Amaretto Sours (Ditto)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2004, 11:59:51 AM »

For some reason, this picture of a ferret drinking Perrier out of a glass made me laugh.

Thought I'd share it with you all:

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Robin

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2004, 12:06:12 PM »

Some beveridges I simply adore, of the non-alchoholic variety:

Water.  

Vernor's Ginger Ale.  I ordered a 24-pack online a while ago, and I only have four cans left...this could get ugly.  

Egg Nog.  (Has anyone else here made Egg Nog Cheesecake?  It's to die for!)

Apple juice, cranberry juice, cherry juice.  

I used to drink a lot of Coca-Cola (and Cherry and Vanilla Coke, but most just the Real Thing).  We're talking a two-liter bottle.  A day.  The caffiene was getting to me, though, so I weaned myself off of the stuff...and lemme tell ya, those caffiene withdrawal headaches are brutal.

And now, some more spirited fare:

White Russians, Black Russians, Black-and-tans, just about any drink made with rum or tequila.  I used to drink this concoction at a DC gay bar made with crushed ice, pinapple and apple juice, rum vodka, grenadine, and a cinnamon stick...can't remember for the life of me what it was called, though.  Something fruity, no doubt.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2004, 12:07:11 PM »

I took Echo for a long hike on Mt Ashland this morning.  It is really too hot here.  I wasn’t feeling well during the night and didn’t wake up much better.  I barely made it home.  The drive down the mountain never seemed so long.  The wild flowers were incredibly beautiful and I’m sorry I forgot my camera.
At least I kept Echo out of the mud today.

Danise & RLP don’t forget you might be able to record Atlantis on Tuesday.  We watched MONK instead of SG 1 last night.  I’m glad I have a good episode to look forward to.

DRLaura how is your leg today?

Tomovoz, this is my face at the thought of more bird photos from your yard  :)

That’s it, the thought of anything, even drinks, going down me right now is making me sick.  I’m going to bed.  

Emily the photo is really cute.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2004, 12:28:22 PM »

I thought ferrets preferred Evian....whew!

My Kroger store was OUT of Vernor's this morning.  It has rows and rows AND rows  of Coca Cola...even C2...and rows and rows Pepsi...even Vanilla Diet Pepsi...but only ONE row of Vernor's and Diet Vernor's...and they were both SOLD OUT!!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2004, 12:38:15 PM »

For some reason, this picture of a ferret drinking Perrier out of a glass made me laugh.

I stopped buying bulk food when I caught a ferret helping himself (with his owner's encouragement) to trail mix.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2004, 12:43:31 PM »

Good decision, DiT.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2004, 12:47:38 PM »

DRPANNI - is this the kind of bottle you were talking about?   ;D

Robin

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2004, 12:52:34 PM »

My Kroger store was OUT of Vernor's this morning.

It's always out here in Minneapolis...oh, wait...that's right, no one actually carries it here!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

François de Paris

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2004, 12:53:20 PM »

Crooked notes?

Do
       Re

Mi

Fa

Sol

Do!

Aaaaaahh Come on!  "Half a Sixpence" is NOT that bad!
A wonderful experience for me in a movie theater in London back in 1967! There's so much JOY in that pic, even if the musical numbers seem to drag on and on, they're exhilarating and the arrangements are fantastic!
Great moment --- subjective, of course! -- is the "If The Rain's Got To Fall..."  NOT "Singin' In The Rain" but......

Favourite drink: chilled water!
I like a Kir now and then -- black currant with White Wine -- I try to stay away from sodas; have a regular Coke when I don't feel good  - stomach problems -- and it works!

I like decaf coffee with lots of milk and some sugar; i try not to use sugar but I don't succeed....

You see; drinkwise I'm no fun and you all had to know about it!

"If I had money to burn
-- a hole in the pocket!"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2004, 01:06:37 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Ah, sleep.... Sooooo nice!

Once I got up today (around 11:30!! ;)), I decided that I would have a rather "domestic" day.  So, I went to Albertson's and picked up some groceries and supplies; I'm doing some laundry; I'll be cleaning my room in a little bit; getting my hair cut later (YEAH!!!); and I may even bake something later!!!  -Although, I think I'm just going to take a walk down to The House of Pies. :D

My brother, Jay, is supposed to be coming up from San Diego late this afternoon, and I may be catching up with him and my cousin, Angie, later tonight.  There's supposed to be some sort of family gathering tonight, but, apparently, they're still deciding which family/house/city will be hosting it. ??? We shall see... Otherwise, I'm just going to be enjoying my day off.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2004, 01:09:41 PM »

Ohh.... Birch Beer!  YUM!!!  I love the canned/bottled varieties you can find here and there.  But there was this New York style deli I came across in Ft. Myers, FL, of all places, and they had it "on tap".  Sooo good!

Very close to the flavor of Birch Beer is CheerWine.  The 7-11s in Richmond used to carry it, but now I can only get it when I take a trip down to North Carolina, but it's even hard to find down there sometimes (at least for me).
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2004, 01:12:07 PM »

I'm back from committing a homicide on "time".  I've killed time and now I'm back in the home environment.  Here's Richard Valley's review of Kritzer Time, which will appear in the next issue of Scarlet Street.

KRITZER TIME
Bruce Kimmel
1st Books Library, 2004
356 pages—$19.95
All good things must come to an end, but at least with a trilogy it takes longer. Bruce Kimmel’s autobiographical fiction Kritzer Time brings the curtain down on the adolescent adventures of Benjamin Kritzer, begun (appropriately) in Benjamin Kritzer (2002) and continued in Kritzerland (2003). Put these volumes all together and you’ve not only got one very big book, but you’ve got a vivid, moving evocation of a special time and place in our country’s troubled history.

The time is the early sixties, when traces of the fifties still lingered in the wings and no one would ever have guessed that the decade would end with the Vietnam War, with protests, with love-ins and flower power, with gay rights and the women’s movement, with X-rated films starring actual movie stars, and with a crook in the White House. Disaster sets the stage for this dark future, though, from the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas—an event that Benjamin, try as he might, cannot view as anything other than remote—to a terrifying, tragic incident that hits harder and closer to home. Home, by the way, is Los Angeles and environs, a sprawling landscape undergoing nearly as many changes as the now-teenage Benjamin.

It is with Kritzer Time that Kimmel plots the rest of Benjamin’s life. Those familiar with the author’s own career prior to his authorship know that Benjamin’s destiny lies in the arts, as an actor, songwriter, singer, producer, director. In Kritzer Time, we move beyond those tentative steps as an entertainer taken by Benjamin in the previous books; when the final pages are at hand, when it’s time for his literary 11 o’clock showstopper, Benjamin has hit his stride and there’s no turning back. Not for nothing is one of his favorite show tunes “Hey, Look Me Over!”

As in Benjamin Kritzer and Kritzerland, the cultural details—the signposts up ahead—will bring a gentle smile or a nostalgic sigh to anyone who grew up in the same decade as Benjamin. The cultural colors with which Kimmel paints his novel include television’s THE TWILIGHT ZONE, MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE, and MAVERICK; the songs “Wooly Booly,” “Pocketful of Miracles,” “Firefly,” “Days of Wine and Roses,” and “Moon River;” the films SCENT OF MYSTERY (1960, in Smell-o-Vision), WEST SIDE STORY (1961), THE PARENT TRAP (1961), GYPSY (1962), THE MUSIC MAN (1962), and BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ (1962); telephone prefix letters, Columbia House Stereophonic Record Players, summer camp, summer stock, Freddie Blassie, Phil Silvers, Judy Garland, Haystack Calhoun, Dave Brubeck, Gorgeous George, and Hayley Mills.

Kritzer Time is, in a way, twilight time—the end of an era and the end of a heartwarming, endearing series of books. Still, as Benjamin, not without a trace of sadness, learns, life goes on. Let’s hope that it goes on to include further novels from the talented Mr. Kimmel.

—Richard Valley

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2004, 01:12:09 PM »

And I still remember "making" sodas in my 4th grade science class.  We had bottles of various flavored syrups, and a seltxer bottle and CO2 cartridges.  Who knew science could be so delicious and refreshing!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2004, 01:13:28 PM »

Used up some credit and got DVDs of The World of Suzie Wong, They Came to Cordura, Lilith and a couple of others.  Going to watch a couple of DVDs at least, my favorite way to relax and clear my brain.  Currently in the player, The Onion Field which I've never seen and which I'm enjoying a lot.

François de Paris

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2004, 01:17:43 PM »

I think the message here is, "Don't sit by the phone waiting for one of them to call you."

Yep!

You'd better do the calling yourself! :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2004, 01:25:37 PM »

Watching KING KONG on TCM.  Still one of my favorite movies!

Did any other DR here at HHW enjoy the series DUE SOUTH?  I liked it a lot, and taped some episodes when TBS ran it on Saturday mornings a few years ago.  Paul Gross was very good, and though the cast went through a few changes, everyone did a nice job.

And it was always funny when the show ended, and Fraser would look at the picture of Queen Elizabeth and say:  "The things I do for you...."

Ben

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2004, 01:28:04 PM »

Well, well, well (that's 3 wells) Vernor's was mentioned, 3 times, even. My parents grew up in Michigan and I still have relatives there so I'm very familiar with wonderful Vernor's Ginger Ale. Haven't had it in years. I also have fond memories of Faygo soday. Faygo Rock & Rye. I also have vauge memories of a soda called Uptown (live it up, up, up with Uptown I seem to remember). Don't drink much soda anymore. I'm more of a water and fresh brewed iced tea man. Also fresh brewed herbal tea (I know, I know, there is no tea in herbal tea). I have cut back on coffee from my younger days. Now I have one or two cups a day at the most and sometimes on the weekend I don't have any unless we're going out. I also don't drink much alcohol though when I do I go for  the sweet things, like Sweet Vermouth (the red one) or Bailey's Irish Cream, Amaretto, stuff like that. I don't know from good wine or bad wine. It's all the same to me. Fermented grape juice. I'll just eat the grapes, thank you.

Michael

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2004, 01:45:13 PM »

From Montreal.

Well caught up with a friend I haven't seen in 7 years and it was so nice to see him again. I have invited and his partner to come and stay with me when they visit florida. My friend would love to move down to the USA in three years time. Either to my area of  Florida or Long Beach, CA where a mutual friend of ours used to live.

Tonight the family is celebrating DAD birthday which is tomorrow. Thinking back to May when he almost didn't make it to now.

I am sure it was all the good wishes and vibes that all DR sent during that trying time that I am here today to celebrate.

Thanks Again for the healing powers of Haines His Way.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up