Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED  (Read 17900 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED
« on: July 25, 2004, 12:03:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have been just what the doctor ordered (along with a side of fries), and now you are ready to post until the doctored cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 12:00:05 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 12:14:57 AM »

I'm about to sign off, but want to say hi to TCB.
Hi, TCB!

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 12:25:56 AM »

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I get an early post for a change... too bad I've got nothing interesting to say other than it stinks being at work on a Saturday Night, alone... :/

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 01:24:35 AM »

Good Early Morning!

Just wanted to pop in and post before heading to bed.  I'd stay up later, but I got some rehearsal for some show I'm doing in the morning...  Ah, well... ;)

-I also just remembered, I still need to put the clean sheets on the bed... but, of course, I can't do that until I put all the clean and folded laundry that I placed on the "naked bed" in some sort of order on the floor, suitcase and/or dresser drawer...

Laters
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 04:52:44 AM »

I woke up about 2 am with a terrible feeling of panic that I will never get everything I need to get done finished by Thursday.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 06:18:01 AM »

About The Sting II...

It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  The single competent thing in the movie is Lalo Schifrin's score; I even have the LP, which really deserves to be re-issued on CD.  I'd buy it in a New York minute.  Or even a Cleveland minute.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 06:23:40 AM »

We're going to a surprise party this afternoon - lunch for a neighbor, to take place at a winery on the Niagara Peninsula.

My questions of the day: Does anyone actually like surprise parties? (Me? I just don't see the point.) And does anyone have memorable experiences to share?

I don't know how memorable today's will be, but I'll be sure to provide details. My friend Jean, who has arranged the whole affair, is feeling stressed. I know she'll be delighted when it's all over.

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 06:28:21 AM »

I don't think I've ever had a surprise party.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 06:29:04 AM »

Could I be any more tired?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 06:30:04 AM »

I, too, must be off, away from the home fries.  A full day awaits me at work, and it's raining, so it will be another busy busy day.

A question for the DRs, however: Last night, I watched the new "opening" and "closing" bits included on the Bourne Identity DVD.  They didn't impress me at all.  So: Has an "alternate ending" ever struck any DR as an "improvement" on a film compared with it's original theatrical release?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 06:33:42 AM »

I got home at midnight and went to bed.  I slept for 9 hours, but that clearly wasn't enough!

My sis had 2 parties at her new house yesterday.  One for family during the day (at noon, i got there at 10:30am & 5pm).  

The night party had 10+ kids.  And they were all animals.  I watched them till about 9pm.  Then played some games with the adults.  I am so competitive!

We played Password.  It was women against men.  It was sort of unfair that I was giving clues to my sister.  Because it is SO MUCH EASIER to play that game with someone you know well. :)

Robin

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 07:07:41 AM »

Has an "alternate ending" ever struck any DR as an "improvement" on a film compared with it's original theatrical release?

No.  

Alternate endings and deleted scenes are interesting to watch, but there's usually a good reason they ended up on the cutting-room floor.  

Especially with the advent of the deeveedee format, more people have become interested in the processes of making movies.  There are more opportunities to see The Man Behind the Curtain, so to speak, and I'm not sure that that's a good thing.  With all the bonus materials the studios are putting into the deeveedee releases, there's a lot of amateur (and amateurish) second-guessing and "Monday Morning Quarterbacking"* going on by half-wits on internet message boards, and in print, and so on.

Whether or not this is a good thing, I think, is still up in the air...maybe it'll turn out to be a healthy thing, maybe not.  But this phase, I have no doubt, will eventually become tiresome to the average moviegoer again.  Someday, I believe that the movies will take center stage again, and folks won't be so interested in the process of getting them made anymore.  

*Hey, I just used a sports metaphor!  I don't think I've ever done that before!

Panni

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 07:40:55 AM »

Good morning. Off for a walk. Thought I'd share.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 08:38:08 AM »

Good morning, all!  I checked out the postings yesterday and I meant to jump in, but it wasn't a good day for sitting at the computer, and my back was behaving badly.  The muscle relaxant I'm taking knocks me out, so I think I'm sleeping around 16 hours a day right now.  I'm going stir-crazy in the apartment. and my only trip outside the building since Tuesday, and an occasional trek to the corner market, was to see the doctor on Thursday.  Today, however, the pain seems slighter, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I had nothing to add on yesterday's posts about beverages, but I was happy to learn about "rock and rye" since it's what flows through Circe's veins in THE GOLDEN APPLE, according to Mayor Hector Charybdis.

I saw "La Ceremonie" around 1997, Dear Friend BK, and I enjoyed it immensely.  I think it's the only film I've seen where the beautiful Jacqueline Bisset speaks French.  I liked the film enough to track down the novel, which was out of print in the US, and I bought a copy of JUDGMENT IN STONE at Foyles on Charing Cross Road while I was recording MOST HAPPY FELLA in 1998.  I can't remember if the novel is set in France, as is the film, or in England, but the ending was changed for the film, and the discovery of the killers in the book hinges on the DON GIOVANNI (the "Judgment in Stone" refers to the satue of the dead Commendatore who drags Don Giovanni down to hell in the opera)  broadcast that they are trying to tape when the killings occur.

Alternate Endings:  I'm a lucky owner of the first DVD release of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS which includes in black and white the original film ending,  and I do believe the alternate ending is wrong, no matter what the preview audiences thought.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 08:39:04 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 08:41:54 AM »

Now, I realize I was vague about the LITTLE SHOP alternate ending.  To me, the original ending, whichg follows the play, is my preferred ending.  Of course, on the DVD it's an alternate.  Too many semantics!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2004, 08:53:52 AM »

Saw 2 shows at the Midtown Theatre Festival this weekend… an old play and a new musical.  The old play was THE SUBJECT WAS ROSES, and I’m happy to say that the play itself held up well.  It was a very mixed cast for only three people, with an excellent son, a fair father and a barely adequate mother with a voice like Betty Boop.  The father was much better in scenes with the son than when the mother was his scene partner.  It was well staged, but whoever picked the songs for the radio and the scene changes chose too many records that were recorded up to about eight years after the play took place.  This play (in a better production)  should have a major revival soon.

ROSES had an all Equity cast which proves that Equity will allow anyone to join regardless of talent.  With one notable exception, the non-Equity cast of the new musical DELILAH was far superior even if the material they had to work with was not.  It was like a poor imitation early Rice & Lloyd Weber show telling the story of SAMSON AND DELILAH from her point of view and tying it all up with a speech by a George Bush clone calling the enemies terrorists and saying to follow the leaders with no questions.  The score was passable, but the whole show was worth it for the performance in the title role of Uzo Aduba, a young woman with a voice that should take her far.  Her Samson, who shall remain nameless here, should never set foot on any stage again.  Otherwise the cast was quite good, and for a low budget show the costumes were almost on a Ziegfeldian scale.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Danise

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2004, 08:57:29 AM »

Sorry to be E&T yesterday.  I think I tried to do to much.  I took the dogs for a walk then went to the grocery store.  I started feeling a bit ill at the second stop.  I took a nap when I got home and only got up to eat then went back to bed.  I feel fine now.

JRAND Said:

Re:CROOKED NOTES
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:12:34am »    

Are you bragging or complaining?   :)  Seriously, the best method I know of is to have a friend go over the lines with you.  Or record your lines and try to listen to them as much as possible.

Drinks.  I’m amazed that so many of you like water best!  I always thought I was such a square because that’s my drink of choice as well.  I like Sprite, 7-Up, Root Beer and Cream Soda but it’s rare that I have one.  

Tea.  Now that I LOVE.  I have several favorites but I especially like Jasmine tea.  It smells as good as it tastes.  

I’ve tried my best to like coffee but I can’t stand it.   I’ve tried all the different flavors of both coffee and creams.  It smells good but I just can’t get past that bitter taste no matter how much sugar I put in it.  Decaf tastes the same as the regular to me.  I can’t tell the difference.  

As far alcoholic drinks are concerned, I avoid them.  To much of a control freak, I guess.  It’s a rare, rare, rare occasion that I have any kind of alcohol.  Someone once said that drinking is like putting a thief in your mouth to rob you of your brains.  I find I have to agree with that 110%.    I don’t, however,  hold it against anyone who wants to drink.

Jane, I do hope you are feeling much better now.  I was very sorry to read you weren’t up to snuff.  

Healing vibes to you!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elmore, Same to you! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  I hope your back is getting better.  

DRLaura, Hope your doing much better.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Panni, you too!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RLP  How is that arm coming?  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael’s Dad as well.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomovoz, How is that cold?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heck, let’s just send out good vibes for all!  It sounds like most of us need them right now!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Sandra, I see that Swedish Chef hat really gets around!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2004, 09:00:27 AM »

Actually, while the viewer obviously knows what's going on in La Ceremonie, in the film the discovery of the killers hinges on the broadcast of Don Giovanni as well - at least, what you're describing happens in the film.

Panni

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2004, 09:06:48 AM »

I'm now going to have breakfast, then perhaps go to the Farmers Market. Or not. Thought I'd share.

Panni

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2004, 09:08:29 AM »

*****Back Healing vibes, Elmore!****

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2004, 09:11:14 AM »

Actually, while the viewer obviously knows what's going on in La Ceremonie, in the film the discovery of the killers hinges on the broadcast of Don Giovanni as well - at least, what you're describing happens in the film.

I wasn't clear on that:  the film implies that the killers will be caught because of the tape, but the novel goes much further into apprehension of the killers.  Unfortunately, it's been 6 years since I read the book, so it's all vague now.  Good book.  Good movie.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2004, 09:28:47 AM »

*****Back Healing vibes, Elmore!****

Thank you, DRPanni!  You looked beautiful at the opera.  How did you like it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2004, 09:37:16 AM »

Off to rehearsal.  Keep the home fries burning now.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2004, 09:43:54 AM »

Confidential to Dear Reader Jose:  There is a little office complex on Sunset Boulevard called "Crossroads of the World."  That name would be quite apt, too, for the intersection of Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, where you were yesterday.  

The signs you saw with the cyrillic lettering probably were in Armenian, as the Los Feliz area has a large Armenian population.  Next door Glendale has the largest concentration of Armenians in the world outside of Yerevan.

Just a little further down Vermont Avenue, as you near Wilshire Boulevard, the signage starts popping up in Korean.  Signage in Spanish and English, of course, is everywhere.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2004, 09:47:26 AM »

Speaking of Lalo Schifrin...

I tend to think of Mr. Schifrin as a great composer of film scores.  A local jazz club has announced the engagement of the LALO SCHIFRIN Big Band for a gig a little later this year.

Does anybody know anything about the LALO SCHIFRIN Big Band?  Have you heard them play?  Can you offer a yea or nay recommendation?

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2004, 09:54:02 AM »

Wow was it ever hot in the Pacific Northwest yesterday (and Friday too!)...Friday it was 102 degress and yesterday it was about the same! I had to get out of the house!!

Saturday morning my sister and I took my 2 1/2 year old grandniece Taylor to the carousel and she had a blast! Then I hied myself up to Vancouver and went swimming at my friend Terry's. We swam and swam and when we thought we couldn't swim any more we ate...and then drove to Sauvie Island and swam some more! And I used the sun screen this time...no burn!! LOL!

Today I must do things that I have been putting off...mowing, weeding, finishing the Cal Bolder interview (seems like I have been working on it for months!), and cleaning the house from top to bottom!

I am worn out just thinking about it.

Robin

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2004, 09:59:02 AM »

A local jazz club has announced the engagement of the LALO SCHIFRIN Big Band for a gig a little later this year.

Does anybody know anything about the LALO SCHIFRIN Big Band?  Have you heard them play?  Can you offer a yea or nay recommendation?

I saw Lalo Schifrin's Big Band in '95 or '96 up in Montreal.  A phenomenally satisfying concert, with a distinct Afro-Cuban vibe to it.  He didn't disappoint either the jazz fans or the film score geeks in the audience.  There was a large-scale piece called "Gillespieana" which was simply amazing.  

About twenty years ago, I had the opportunity to see his "Jazz Mass" (based on Roman Catholic texts) in concert.  It's a  wonderful piece of music...and it's too bad the CD doesn't capture how moving the piece is.  

Here's a BIG, enthusiastic yea vote.  

I'd love to see Mr. Schifrin in concert again...!  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 10:02:18 AM by Robin »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2004, 10:04:54 AM »

Troubles come in 3s!  Lasat week it was the television, then my back.  Today I'm treading water from a leaking air conditioner that seems to be in its death throes.

So,  I need today air conditioner advice from any knowing DRs.  The one I have replaced the original one in the apartment and it waqs paid for by the landlord.  Now, I'm just as  happy to purchase this new one myself, but I know nothing about size or anything else.  It does have to fit into the wall under the window, but I'm physically unable to remove the current inhabitant to measure the space.  Anyone have any good solutions or answers?

Thanks!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2004, 10:25:11 AM »

Mbarnum I’m so proud of you.  Isn’t it much nicer dealing with the heat WITHOUT a sunburn?

Thank you Danise.  I’m out of bed today and was up to walking Echo this morning, then scrubbing both kitty litter boxes (RLP I don’t know how you did that with only one arm).  Now I’m tired again, but relaxing while I catch up with everyone.  I owe lots of emails but I’m not up to that yet.

Tomovoz I’m still amazed it is difficult for you to find such popular teas.  I would think a local store were order them for you.  Have you tried ordering online?  I do it all the time and it is often less expensive.

Elmore I would make two calls, one to the landlord and the other to a store that sells air conditioners.  Sorry I can’t be more helpful than that.

I just transferred a load of wash to the dryer now I’m going to take a shower.  Didn’t you want to know that?

Jay

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2004, 10:27:49 AM »

Thanks, Dear Reader Robin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up