Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED  (Read 17901 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »

Just NOT what the doctor ordered:

The charming creatures descended on some plaStic trash bags left along side the roadway by the neighbor across the street.

The "locals" (squirrels, Jays, etc.) are hiding in the woods.

Central Pets advises:

If a Turkey Vulture feels threatened, it will regurgitate in the direction of its perceived attacker, which has made them rather unpopular with some bird rescue workers. Some rescue workers who have worked closely with Turkey Vultures claim that that the birds can recognize individual humans and will form bonds with them. Some people with regular habits have reported a Turkey Vulture who would follow them each day on their walk! Enthusiasts believe that Turkey Vultures are quite intelligent and can learn very quickly; many can be taught simple games like tug-of-war and will bring toys to their human friends in the same manner a dog might.

A Field Guide adds:

Its scientific name, Cathartes aura, means "cleanser" possibly because characteristic of a scavenger, it cleans up rotting carcasses by eating them. Their digestive tract can kill any virus or bacteria in its meals. The fact that its head is bald prevents it's feathers from getting messy while submerged in rotting flesh. They roost in trees tops at night, sometimes in groups as large as 70 - 100 Turkey Vultures.

Speaking of smell, the Turkey Vulture defecates (poops) on its feet as a cooling method.

Thank you for sharing!

der Brucer

« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 10:46:25 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2004, 10:40:08 AM »

JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED -  A BIT OF LEVITY

IRISH VIRGIN!

In a tiny village on the Irish coast lived an old lady, a virgin and very proud of it. Sensing that her final days were rapidly approaching, and desiring to make sure everything was in proper order when she died, she went to the town's undertaker (who also happened to be the local postal clerk) to make the proper "final" arrangements. As a last wish, she informed the undertaker that she wanted the following inscription
engraved on her tombstone:

"BORN A VIRGIN, LIVED AS A VIRGIN, DIED A VIRGIN"

Not long after, the old maid died peacefully in her sleep.

A few days after the funeral, as the undertaker/postal clerk went to prepare the tombstone that the lady had requested, it became quite apparent that the tombstone that she had selected was much too small for the wording that she had chosen.

He thought long and hard about how he could fulfill the old maid's final request, considering the very limited space available on the small piece of stone. For days, he agonized over the dilemma. But finally his experience as a postal worker allowed him to come up with what he thought was the appropriate solution to the problem.

The virgin's tombstone was finally completed and duly engraved, and it read as follows:

"RETURNED UNOPENED"

Robin

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2004, 10:48:29 AM »

How do we know Jesus was Irish?

He was always telling stories, He loved green pastures, and He believed his mother was a virgin.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2004, 10:58:56 AM »

Jane - Must have missed the post saying you weren't feeling well. Glad you're feeling better!

Elmore - Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I REALLY enjoyed A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. It was, IMHO, a superb production. I wept copiously at "Send in the Clowns"... It was actually just what the doctor ordered because I walked out of there feeilng proud to be in the same profession as the people who had put on that show. I needed a fix like that.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2004, 11:14:45 AM »

So, nu?  What did I say?  Didn't I guarantee something yesterday?  Nu?

(Nobody listens to me!)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2004, 11:16:24 AM »

The signs you saw with the cyrillic lettering probably were in Armenian, as the Los Feliz area has a large Armenian population.  Next door Glendale has the largest concentration of Armenians in the world outside of Yerevan.
Now, now, Jay - you may know your Verdi from your Wagner, but you don't know your alphabets.

Jose said:
Does Armenia use a Cyrillic type alphabet?  The script is very fancy, and I just can't tell what it is.
Note - he said "cyrillic type".

Armenian uses its own very special alphabet (which they arguably claim to be the very first phonetic one).

Discover Armenia reports:

Armenian is a complex and beautiful language. Except for a transition into middle Armenian during the 10th-12th centuries and into a modern form in the 19th century, it has been continuously used for more than 1500 years as it was first created, borrowing traces of words and expressions from Hindu, Persian, Arabic, Greek and Latin along the way. In its current form in the Republic, it uses a lively and vibrant incorporation of words from Russian, French, English and other countries. It is a language alive. Armenian has its own unique alphabet, devised between 401-406 c.e. by Mesrop Mashtots (361-440 c.e.) under the patronage of King Vramshapuh and Catolicos Sahak Partev. Until that time, most written versions of Armenian were in Greek. During the turbulent years of the 4th century c.e., the new alphabet was treated as a divine gift from God, a weapon of intellect over the dark forces of fanaticism. The first sentence written in Armenian was "To know wisdom and gain instruction; to discern the words of understanding..." Armenians were quick to use the new alphabet, translating Greek, Roman, Persian, Arabic, Egyptian, even Chinese treatises into Armenian.

Here's a tapestry of said alphabet:

der Brucer

(Watching Jay lick the Egg (Cream) off of his face)

Egg Cream
The egg cream is a New York tradition. Ironically, it doesn’t have any egg or cream in it. Even so, it’s still a soda fountain favorite. Put 3oz of chocolate syrup in a large glass. Fill half full with milk and stir. Top with seltzer from a seltzer bottle for that frothy real 'cream' head or use club soda.

Jay

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2004, 11:32:44 AM »

In my defense, Dear Reader der Brucer, would you believe:

A. I was just kidding.
B. I was just seeing which DRs were alert.
C. Russian and Armenian both end in "-ian" and deserve to be confused.
D. I am not perfect.

Jay

;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2004, 11:46:55 AM »

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I get an early post for a change... too bad I've got nothing interesting to say other than it stinks being at work on a Saturday Night, alone... :/

What can you do on a Saturday night,
Alone?
Who needs a view on a Saturday night,
Alone?....
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2004, 11:51:36 AM »

Thank you Panni and I’m glad the show gave you the fix you needed.  When does Rachel arrive, or did she?

Knowing the peach half I had earlier today isn’t enough to function on, I just ate a soft boiled egg and a piece of toast.  Now I’m going to flop on the bed with a heating pad and watch the episode of BIG VALLEY I recorded yesterday.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »

DR Elmore:  Call Sears -- tell them what you told us.  If you can decipher the brand/model of your sick A/C, they can probably send out a man with a NEW UNIT to replace the old.  They'll install the new and remove/dispose of the old.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2004, 11:58:55 AM »

I’ve tried my best to like coffee but I can’t stand it.   I’ve tried all the different flavors of both coffee and creams.  It smells good but I just can’t get past that bitter taste no matter how much sugar I put in it.  Decaf tastes the same as the regular to me.  I can’t tell the difference.

Danise, one way to overcome the bitter coffee taste is to add lots and lots of chocolate ... lots and LOTS of chocolate!  Then it becomes a mocha (heavy on the chocolate), and it is good! ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 11:59:07 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2004, 11:59:11 AM »

DR Jay:  In my eyes, you are practically perfect in every way!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2004, 12:03:45 PM »

Alternate Endings:  I'm a lucky owner of the first DVD release of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS which includes in black and white the original film ending,  and I do believe the alternate ending is wrong, no matter what the preview audiences thought.

I, too, have the original "special edition" DVD of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (from eBay), and I agree with you.  The original ending (as it ends in the stage show) should be the only way to end the story.  I just wish David Geffen let the original "special edition" DVD be released so that I didn't have to pay as much as I did for it.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2004, 12:09:31 PM »

DR Elmore:  Call Sears -- tell them what you told us.  If you can decipher the brand/model of your sick A/C, they can probably send out a man with a NEW UNIT to replace the old.  They'll install the new and remove/dispose of the old.

Thank you, RLP!  The one thing I cannot do because I can't put any effort into my back, ios figure out what kind of plug it has!  My super, when I notified him that it was probably leaking into the apartment below me, told me to call the real estate agent for our building.  I'll do that tomorrow.  What I have right now is an Emerson Quiet Kool, but the model's probably 10 years old.  I have been looking at Quiet Kools and others on the net, but I need to figure out the plug!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2004, 12:10:40 PM »

DR Jay:  In my eyes, you are practically perfect in every way!

Thank you, Dear Reader RLP, but I must nonetheless suggest that you pay visit to your optician!

Panni

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2004, 12:41:06 PM »

jay - Of course I listen to you! And you were right. See? You ARE perfect.

Jane - Rachel is arriving this evening.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2004, 01:02:17 PM »

I agree with RLP, DR Elmore3003, just call the store and tell them to send a man out. He will take care of it all and you will be back to the perfect comfort of air conditioning (something that I, alas, do not have!).

Jane, I hope the hot pad and Big Valley make you feel better. Whenever I am home sick from work I always watch an episode of Perry Mason! It always makes me feel better! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2004, 01:06:33 PM »

I cleaned and scrubbed the kitchen...I cleaned and scrubbed the  bathroom...and I cleaned and scrubbed the bedroom. Now I am pooped. Still need to clean and scrub the living room and mow the lawn.

There was a crazy person across the street from my house for about an hour. He was acting bizarre and yelling at imaginary enemies! I called the police and they came and talked to him but evidently felt he was harmless and left him where he was. At one point he crossed the street and came onto my front lawn then went back across the street. I locked all of my doors!

He is gone now but it still makes me nervous. I like to have my doors open and all my windows open, but now everytime I hear a "bump" I get all suspicious and worry that he is still around the neighborhood.

It is a nice old quite neighborhood and we don't normally get much foot traffic here, but living downtown there are a lot of loonies wandering around the vicinity, and the State Mental Hospital is just down a few blocks and around the corner!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 01:07:48 PM by MBarnum »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2004, 01:07:14 PM »

C. Russian and Armenian both end in "-ian" and deserve to be confused.

Jay
 ;D

I'll drink to that! (Except Campari!)

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2004, 01:09:29 PM »

Time to end my frenzy of posting and eat some lunch and watch last nights episode of Big Brother!

PS: I did my housework to the music of a couple of wonderful CDs from DR Tomofoz! Some lively Finnish pop CDSs which I very much enjoyed..both groups on the two cds had just a bit of an ABBA flavor to them!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2004, 01:15:48 PM »

I like to have my doors open and all my windows open, but now everytime I hear a "bump" I get all suspicious ...

Return of the Puppet People!

der Brucer (Wondering why "Tremors" gets 3 sequels!)

Jay

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2004, 01:24:38 PM »

jay - Of course I listen to you! And you were right. See? You ARE perfect.

Not even close!

Jay

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2004, 01:29:57 PM »

...just call the store and tell them to send a man out. He will take care of it all and you will be back to the perfect comfort of air conditioning...

I've seen several, ahem, videos that kick off with that scenario, Dear Reader Elmore 3003.  Perhaps you'll be able to enjoy a similar experience.  And work out the kinks in your back in the process!

:o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2004, 01:30:16 PM »

BK:  One of your very good frie...errr...ummm...an "acquaintance" of yours, known in knowledgeable circles as "Buford," is making the hugest ass of himself over at the FSM board where he has assumed a stance of "moral" outrage against a CD label for announcing a new Goldsmith release a mere four hours after - gasp! -- Goldsmith's funeral.

He is on the highest horse he's ridden to date and he's apparently oxygen-deprived.

Jed

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2004, 01:40:20 PM »

Had a wonderful time at the wedding yesterday.  The only downside at all was the ridiculous heat (about 95)... I think most everybody left with pink faces.  After helping clean-up after the reception, I spent the evening with some friends who were there, and it was all just too too.

Speaking of too too... this very evening I shall be supping with my very own cyberfather, TCB!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2004, 01:47:03 PM »

Good afternoon all!
Well I am at the reception for my uncles wedding, a rather casual affair held outside their house in Vermont.  And lo and behold, he had a computer, so I promptly got online, as I was craving my internet fix.  Fine times being had here in Vermont, despire some rather cold temps.  (Jed, you should be here!  You'd be niec and comfortable)
My uncle got married to his much younger bride, and he will spend the next two days with his son and my father, re-roofing his ex-wif'es house.  Go figure.  I will be in charge of keeping my cousin's children out from underfoot.  

I hope DR Jed and our dear TCB have a wonderfully wonderful time at dinner this evening, and I look forward to hearing all about it.  

Jay

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2004, 01:53:43 PM »

I will be leaving shortly for one of my regular sojourns to the County of Orange and a visit with the Dear Mother.

On our agenda this evening is attendance at the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday (Monday, in your case, Dear Reader Tomovoz), all you Dear, Dear Readers out there in the dark.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2004, 02:55:56 PM »

The Pageant of Masters! The height of kitsch. Full report please.

Panni

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2004, 02:56:58 PM »

Jed and TCB - Also a full report on your father-son dinner. Perhaps a photo?

Panni

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2004, 02:57:40 PM »

You'll notice I'm trying valiantly to drag us to...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up