Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN THE LOOP  (Read 17501 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IN THE LOOP
« on: July 25, 2004, 11:59:35 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now in the loop or in the pool and you may now post until the loopy cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 12:00:58 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:IN THE LOOP
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 12:14:53 AM »

all of the above plus
Roger Williams, Ray Conniff and the sounds of Arthur Lyman and Martin Denny.
Quite liked the Boston Pops and these days the Erich Kunzel albums are great.

Special mention to the 50 guitars of Tommy "Snuff" Garrett.

The Ferrante & Teicher Lps would have been my firm favourites.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 12:19:16 AM »

There have been individual "easy listening" or "lounge music" songs/instrumental numbers that I've enjoyed listening to, but there isn't a particular performer that I've been a fan of...unless Barbra Streisand counts.  I don't love her music/interpretations (I don't know if I ever really did "love" her stuff) but I like a lot of what she's done, mostly in her early to middle years, not so much her later stuff.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 12:24:59 AM »

I had no idea it was after midnight. Then I looked at the clock, always a wise thing to do when you're unsure of the time. Now I have an idea -- which is that it's after midnight.

Tomorrow I drive Dear Daughter downtown to take her interview for her citizenship, I quizzed her on the 100 question test and learned some interesting things. I've now memorized the 13 original states. Did it in a few seconds, amazing Dear Daughter. I taught her the trick of memorizing meaningless lists -- one of my useless talents. Haven't memorized anything in ages and it was actually sort of fun. The 13 original states, from memory BTW, were Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, New York, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina. Voila.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 12:27:15 AM »

Trivia: Lionel Bart wrote lyrics for a song used in the stage version of "The World Of Suzie Wong" - The Ding Dong Song"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 12:31:51 AM »

I used to have a boyfriend who was a big "lounge music" fan. He made me "lounge" compilations which I may still have somewhere. Or not. Perhaps more detail tomorrow on my specific tastes in this music. I'm too tired now.
BTW - I also like lounge music furniture -- leopard chairs and all that. On that note (F#), good-night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 12:33:14 AM »

I always wanted to vist East Voila.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 12:34:11 AM »

Oh - and THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG - haven't seen it in years, but how I used to love it. So atmospheric, so romantic. And William Holden - yes!

Panni

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 12:35:39 AM »

I always wanted to vist East Voila.

I knew somebody would make that joke. Glad it was you, Tom.
And now, I really mean it -- good-night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 01:01:39 AM »

And a happy birthday to MissWittiR - don't know whether MissWittR still lurks but there you are.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 03:00:01 AM »

Ah...well I was going to vote for Mouse Ears, but the tiara will be all right as well, DRPANNI!!   ;D

So much going on....I am feeling a bit better, but not sure if I will able to attend rehearsal tonight.  I have let the director know so that she can change her plans...if need be.

Okay....easy listening....ah!!!!!!!!!!

Percy Faith, by all means.  Billy Vaughn.  Ray Conniff.  

Here's a name from the past for all of us DR's of a certain age:

Lester Lanin!  He and his orchestra played mostly dance music, but I loved their albums.

The Three Suns and The Kirby Stone Four.

Well.....I loved easy listening music, and I still do.  Martin Denney, of course.  Les Baxter.

I will leave some for other DR's who not up as early as I.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 03:05:07 AM »

Well it is now 6am and I am getting ready to drive to the airport.  But first I must pick up my passengers.

Had a long day yesterday.  Will try to describe it some time later today.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Danise

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 03:38:46 AM »

Morning all!  I'm up and ready to go back to work!  If I get feeling to bad I have a "guaranteed ride home" pass to be drove home at no charge by taxi.  You get them for riding the bus on a regular basis.  

I can use mine up to 6 times a year but I never have.  

Re:JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED - NEW
« Reply #131 on: Today at 01:17:43am »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: TCB on Today at 12:12:02am
Camera!  Why didn't I think to bring a camera!

Same reason I didn't bring one... because, as we learned at Cold Stone Creamery, we, dear father, are two clueless fellas!

...well...that and I don't even have one...

Don't feel bad fellows, I had the camera WITH me when I met DR Elmore and forgot to USE it!  ::)

The mind is a terrible thing.  

Gotta run.  Have a good day all!

PS:  Could someone please give me the tip on how to quote from a day before and how to do several quotes in one message?  I had that information but lost it with the old computer.  Many thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:40:31 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 04:29:00 AM »

It's 7:30 AM - aka the time when I'm normally getting out of bed to go to work.

Somehow today, my alarm went off at 5:30 AM and I went about my morning business of getting up, showering and caffeine-ing myself before I glanced at a clock.

Obscenities were flying, let me tell you.  

Of course, once I had gotten up showered and caffeine-ed myself, there was no way I could consider going back to bed.  

So now it's 7:30 AM and I have made myself a beautiful eggy breakfast with homefries (a weekday luxury) and am just about to read the paper.  

Maybe I should do this every morning...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 06:24:56 AM »

Good morning all
I'm surprised at how quickly my body has adjusted to east coast time.  I woke up this morning bright and early at 7:30 am, no alarm needed.  
The wedding yesterday went off without a hitch..well, except the one you'd expect at a wedding, of course :)  (no groaning...)
But the service was short and sweet, and the food was marvelous.  The bride, my new aunt, spent all day cooking up a miriad of delightful dishes, mainly dealing with seafood...scallops, oysters, calamari salad, and salmon galore.  Everything was cooked Italian style...dripping with butter and olive oil and such...I stuffed myself and shan't be able to eat for a month.  Of course i managed to save room for some wedding cake.  

Oh, for those who care, here is the end of my airport saga -
After 18 hours in that cursed place, my father finally showed up at 2 pm.  We went down to the rental car center, only to find out that since he hadn't picked up his reserved car on time, and hadn't called ahead to tell them about it, the car had been rented out.  I should add that he could not remember WHICH company he'd rented from, so we visited five different counters, asking if they could check to see if we MIGHT have had a reservation that was gone anyway.  Good thing my father has charm...
So anyway, after finding that no one had any available cars, we ended up at the information booth, asking if there was any other company we might try.  The lady behind the desk took pity on us, called her 26-year-old son, and had him drive us the 50 miles out to the lake.  Talk about depending on the kindess of strangers!  Of course we paid him for his trouble.  He was also rather cute...but of course, I'd been traveling for 31 hours at this point with no shower, wearing the same clothes, so I was in NO position to make a move.  But he was pleasant to look at during the trip :D

So there you have it...a trip that can truly be called an adventure!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 06:26:07 AM »

P.S.  Bless my uncle for having internet access!!  My new aunt's sister and her parents are having a rather heated argument in the kitchen...so glad I have somewhere to escape to!

Panni

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 06:53:09 AM »

Good morning. Ann, your saga would make an excellent mini-series.
Off to walk.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 07:04:54 AM »

I am leaving in a bit to go talk to the advisement people at ASU (Arizona State University in Internet lingo). I always hate talking to the advisement people. Most of the time they don't know what they're talking about.

The lady on the phone told me my appointment was for Monday the 27th. So I don't know if it's on Monday or the 27th. But I'm going today just to make sure.

See what I mean? Even the people answering phones for the advisement people don't know what they're talking about.

Nice story, Ann.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 07:36:11 AM »

I love lounge music and I have many, many "loungey" CDs. Favorites include Esquivel, Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Ray Anthony, Jackie Gleason, Billy May, The Out-Islanders, Laurie Johnson, and gosh, so many others!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 07:42:33 AM »

Good morning, everyone! Back from NYC with a big smile on my face: from having a great time in the city but also happy to be back home living a more leisurely paced existence.

I'm going to break up my thoughts about the shows I saw into several different posts over the next several days. One long post is just too dreary to read and gets exhausting (for me) to write.

Also, it's going to take me days to go back and read the notes and posts from the last few days. I did log on briefly last night and finished reading the rest of the posts done on Wednesday, the day I left.

I want to thank DR RLP for clarifying my birthday for DR Jane who was interested. He was correct in stating it is September 3rd. His is September 2nd, and how ironic that my college roommate's birthday was ALSO September 2nd. Talk about coincidences!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 07:46:12 AM »

On today's Topic of the Day, I go along with many of those already named. I adored Ferrente and Teicher and Roger Williams. Being a (mediocre at best) pianist, naturally I would have been drawn to them, and my aunt, who adored them too, used to take me with her to see them in concert when they'd come to Charlotte. I know I must have seen F&T four times. Percy Faith: just lush and beautiful music.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 08:03:35 AM »

My first NYC story actually occurred the last night we were there.

Some of you know the story of my frustration with trying to score ASSASSINS tickets, succeeding, and then finding that the show would end the week before I got to NYC. So what to see? My friends and I decided we'd go to THE FROGS (which was sold out; I checked) and try to score cancellation tickets on Saturday night.

As some of you know, the show actually opened on Thursday (this may have been discussed in Friday's posts; I haven't read them yet but I will) to fairly bad notices. We mulled the situation over all day Friday and Saturday and finally decided Saturday afternoon that we'd rather see a show that got great reviews and awards than one with wonderful actors but bad notices (since it WAS our last night in NYC). So, we picked I AM MY OWN WIFE. The box-office fellow was from NC and gave us a deal on the tickets saying the theater was running a special sale and we paid $50 apiece for the excellent second row mezzanine/first balcony seats.

The show was quite interesting. I have to shame-facedly admit that before seeing this play, I knew NOTHING at all about Charlotte von Mahlsdorf, sort of the Quentin Crisp of his/her time and place. While I found the story very, very interesting and Jefferson Mays simply wonderful playing Charlotte and lots of other characters, I didn't find it compelling. Interesting without being gripping, I guess you'd say. Charlotte was a strong willed but quietly sedate person, so there were no VIRGINIA WOOLF displays of volcanic emotion during the show from the central character, and maybe that's what I wanted. At any rate, it was a good show, a great performance, and featured a fascinating set design and marvelous direction moving the single actor around a ingeniously designed and decorated set.

BTW, our weather during the four days ran to total gamut. The first day was hot and steamy, a (for me) typical NYC summer day. Friday was the day of torrential downpours. Even with an umbrella, there is no way not to get soaked while traversing the streets with deep puddles and gutters always overflowing. Saturday was overcast and cool, Sunday the clouds began to give way to sun but temps were still below normal. So in all, it was the most pleasantly cool July weekend I've ever spent in NYC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 08:38:36 AM »

I had one Lester Lanin album (on Epic, I think) - a Latin B'way album that was quite nice.  I, too, love Billy May but think of him more as Big Band than lounge, although I suppose he could fit in either world.  I liked Roger Williams, too, but not as much as Ferrante and Teicher.  I also liked Peter Nero quite a bit.  And Jackie Gleason's albums are wonderful - lush, and gooey and great-sounding.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 09:11:11 AM »

I really don't listen to "Easy Listening" now, but I used to like Ferante & Teicher, Peter Nero and the Norman Luboff choir.  Now the only time I listen to that kind of music is when I on the phone and put on "hold" or when I am in an elevator.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2004, 09:30:41 AM »

We attended a rather dull wedding Friday on the Delaware River.  Well, since it was raining, it was moved inside a mansion.  Joy was the hit of the party, her dance floor energy raising everything by several notches.  Those aware of my song "I Can't Marry You" know how we feel about wedding traditions.  What was most interesting was meeting the groom's aunt, uncle and 10-year-old cousin from Japan.  The groom also had an uncle and his Japanese boyfriend from Vancouver, who gave great massages.  All the aforementioned elevated the affair in some way.

I'd always said we'd return home either Sunday or Monday, but, for some reason, they booked us into a hotel 20 miles in the wrong direction, just for Friday night.  I didn't arrive at this hotel until two a.m., and, upon waking, was told we had to check out in a half an hour.  No rooms at any inn in Bethlehem (hmm, sounds familiar) and we ended up staying at a neighbor's house.  Seeing this house proved the highlight of the trip, as it's an eighteenth century farmhouse with antique cabinetry hiding things like refrigerators, etc.  Now THAT was the bed-and-breakfast experience one might had sought, had one been allowed to make one's own accommodation plans.

At the day-after-party was the woman who'd played the piano for my 1998 revue, Lunatics and Lovers (I may have the date wrong).  Turns out she has a little boy who'd toured in Ragtime and I told her I can't listen to, or play the song "Our Children" without flooding my face with tears.  How she managed to sit through it, with her son playing one of the children being sung about, I'll never know.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2004, 09:44:55 AM »

I have a million things to do today, including waiting around downtown while DD has her citizenship interview, so I'll be E&T for much of the day.

Forgot to send this earlier:
****Feel better vibes, Jrand****

Ditto for Jane!

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2004, 10:14:43 AM »

I simply cannot wake up today! I have had mega-cups of coffee but it hasn't helped...can't keep my eyes open!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2004, 10:16:24 AM »

Apparently you are not the only one who cannot wake up today.  Where in tarnation IS everyone?  

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2004, 10:42:36 AM »

I am so tired!

Woke up at 5am to drive my sister's husband's sister and family to the airport.  Then I stayed with them till their flight left.

Let's move on to page two.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2004, 10:43:55 AM »

Yep, where is everybody? :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up