Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN THE LOOP  (Read 17429 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:IN THE LOOP
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2004, 02:53:06 PM »

DR Jay, here's how it all started.

Jane

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2004, 03:06:28 PM »

Jay, I knew you would know immediately it was Keith. :)

Noel, I hate it when the chain isn’t worthy of the store that has been eliminated, such as The Plum Tree.  We are trying to keep chains out of our little town.  So far there are three Starbucks and one Blockbuster.  I don’t mind, in fact I like the little Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.  I don’t believe any of these have put another store out of business.

Bruce, a Cold Stone opened up in Brentwood down the street from the Ben and Jerry’s my brother frequents.  He went in the first night to see what the fuss was about and didn’t care for it.  In the beginning they were so busy he feared his B & J’s would go out of business.  So far it hasn’t happened and all is well in the world with my brother.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2004, 03:07:25 PM »

Welcome back MATTH!  Sounds like you had a good time in the Big Apple.  I remember seeing those tempo markings on 78 RPM recordings as well.  I just assumed it was so you would know what dance to do to the song...LOL.

THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG....well, I think Holden is very handsome and I love the on location photography.  Nancy Kwan is so beautiful, but she is such a BAD actress...LOL.  And for me the movie (and probably the play as well) makes the mistake of treating a brothel like a sorority house - with all the stereotypes in residence.  Most of Kwan's lines seem to have been looped so this was her second chance at voicing the performance, and she still misses most of the time.

The best acting I ever saw her do was in her Pearls of the Orient bath oil commmercials that ran and ran and ran several years ago.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2004, 03:11:08 PM »

Jay is now 1574, Jose is 11th at 1573 and I'm 12(!) at 1563 (with this post).  No slouch in the post-department am I!

And they're off and running - it's Jrand on the outside, with Jose coming up fast, but watch out, George is starting to make his move...

I meant to say I'd crossed 5500 posts, not 5000.

Danise

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2004, 03:18:42 PM »

Evening all.  I made it though the day but confess I am very tired and sore on my right side.  

I hope all are doing well.    :)

As for the music.  I would guess since I like Michael Crawford, Michael Ball and Neil Diamond, they would fit the catagory.

Thanks for help on doing the quotes.  I think I have a question but I'm to tired to remember what it was.  

Have a good evening all.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2004, 03:21:55 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I just had to take a break from looking at, placing and playing all those little black dots of music on the page.  I'm at the "detail" stage now, and I just have to make sure not to drive myself crazy with all those details.  If I keep up my current pace, I should have a complete book for the show by the end of the week.  *I've done charts - lead sheets - for a bunch of songs, and now I want to actually write out full piano-vocal parts/arrangements.  Sometimes it feels like slow going, but then I look at the clock and it's actually earlier than I thought it would be - that's a good thing. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2004, 03:24:55 PM »

As for the music.  I would guess since I like Michael Crawford, Michael Ball and Neil Diamond, they would fit the catagory.

Mr Ball is more than welcome in my lounge too.
Kevin Spacey too of course - lovely voice that should have been recorded more.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »

DRJOSE I didn't see your answer to my question a couple of days ago...are you going to be onstage for WHAT IF....or do you have a pit?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2004, 03:29:06 PM »

I'm not a big fan of Cold Stone Creamery either.  The appeal of the novelty of having your ice-cream "made" right there on the marble slab, as well as some of the songs and "skits" the scoopers put on, did draw me into the store initially, but after tasting the ice cream...  It's just has no depth of flavor to me.  I taste more sugar than flavor in their base ice creams.  And the price/mark up.... eh!  *However, I'm still appalled at the price of a single scoop of Haagen Daaz at their stores - it's practically the same price as a pint at the grocery store!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2004, 03:30:37 PM »

On stage.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2004, 03:40:32 PM »

...as well as some of the songs and "skits" the scoopers put on...

When they first broke into song, TCB and I looked at each other with a mutual, "Oh my."  As another customer said later when we were outside eating, "I'll tip them more NOT to sing!" :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2004, 03:57:53 PM »

I'm not a big fan of Cold Stone Creamery either.  The appeal of the novelty of having your ice-cream "made" right there on the marble slab, as well as some of the songs and "skits" the scoopers put on,

I have yet to see that. ;D

Jane

« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2004, 03:59:48 PM »

Danise, rest and take it easy tonight.

I am having fun reading both Jose and Bruce’s post of the same show. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2004, 04:10:35 PM »

I just deleted a message when I realized I had told DR Noel he was inaccurate.  When I realized what he said was correct., I felt like a total buffoon.  Sorry, DRNoel.

DR Jane, I love your photo.  Except for the fact your hair is dark and not blonde, you haven't changed at all, mon dieu!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2004, 04:13:09 PM »

Back from the land of the Feds. Here's a bit of info. You can't take a photo-phone into a Federal building. They made me return to the parking garage and put it away.
Another bit of info. Mayor James Hahn's nickname is Slim Jim.
As for the citizenship appointment...
Rachel's appointment was set for 12:45. She got in at 1:30. Not a huge surprise. She passed with flying colors - she heard several people around her being told to come back and try again because they FAILED. However, she can't get sworn in until after she comes back from Study Abroad. She leaves on Aug, 17 and the next swearing in day is August 18. Oh well.
Freeway wasn't too bad, but now have to head out again over the Laurel which will probably be busy. I'm tired.
Over and out from Poster #3.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2004, 04:14:37 PM »

THE TRUTH IS OUT!

Broadway.com tells all:

Solitaire and the Solitary Writer
by Julie White

I have now remembered that I have a very hard time writing anything. I tend to turn on the computer, go to Payday Freecel Solitaire and say to myself "just one more game, and then I will start writing" for such an embarrassingly long time that when I finally begin whatever I am attempting to write I am filled with self-loathing. Today, for some reason, I cannot open Payday Freecel. Not that I haven't tried. I think my husband has so successfully blocked all pop-up ads on the computer that it won't let me play... so I have to write this. I have a friend in L.A. who is a successful screenwriter and confided to me that she also has to deal with this problem. Her solution is not to allow herself to wash her hair until she finishes what needs to get done. So finally her nasty head forces her to get on with it. I think the longest she lasted was a week.

OK, Panni - fess up!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2004, 04:14:38 PM »

Oh - and I'm HOT. The AC in my little guest house is not the greatest. Have I mentioned I'm HOT?

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2004, 04:19:08 PM »

Wow DR Jane, your son is cute!

But I'm having trouble getting used to you as a brunette. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2004, 04:31:43 PM »

"This is the face of a voracious aficionado"

Oh dear - A Star is Born!

der Brucer (a proud Papa)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2004, 04:40:16 PM »

So derBrucer did you get a Lanin beanie?

DRJOSE that is wonderful news!  Onstage - will you be wearing white tie and tails?  A cutaway?  A tuxedo.

I think you should wear a tuxedo coat, flat shirt, tie, and a kilt!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2004, 04:58:08 PM »

Here is an example, DRJOSE - my birthday twin!   ;D

A real eyecatcher!

Jane

« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2004, 04:59:29 PM »

Jennifer thank you.  I think Bruce and Penny O still have the same problem. :D

DerBrucer-very funny but Panni didn't comment. ;D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2004, 05:08:12 PM »

Nancy Kwan is so beautiful, but she is such a BAD actress...LOL.  And for me the movie (and probably the play as well) makes the mistake of treating a brothel like a sorority house - with all the stereotypes in residence.  Most of Kwan's lines seem to have been looped so this was her second chance at voicing the performance, and she still misses most of the time.

The best acting I ever saw her do was in her Pearls of the Orient bath oil commmercials that ran and ran and ran several years ago.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2004, 05:22:21 PM »

TOD:

Is Carmen Dragon too high-brow to be considered "easy listening'?

If our voracious afficiando was out and about the Hollywood Hills 40 odd years ago he would no doubt have tales to tell.

John Henken, writing for the Hollywood Bowl reports:

Californian Carmen Dragon (1914-1984) was a highly successful composer, arranger, and conductor. Trained at San Jose State College, he worked as a nightclub pianist, and then as an arranger in Hollywood. He eventually scored more than 30 films, as well as television and stage shows. He conducted at the Hollywood Bowl many times in the 1950s and '60s, recorded prolifically with the Hollywood Bowl Symphony, and served as music director of the Glendale Symphony for many years. His evocative arrangements - here of "Across the Wide Missouri," aka "Shenandoah," an American sea chanty much associated with the Western pioneer movement, and the powerful 1895 patriotic anthem "America the Beautiful" - are still performed by orchestras and choirs around the world.

der Brucer

Note: Since he did the score for the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" he can't be pure high brow.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2004, 05:26:37 PM »

So derBrucer did you get a Lanin beanie?

Sadly, no. At least not that I remember...you see they had a lot of this stuff called "champagne" ....

der Brucer

By the Bye - Lanin actually had quite a few orchestras touring at the some time ; "Music by the Lester Lanin Orchestra" didn't quarantee Lester Lanin.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2004, 05:29:56 PM »

...We are trying to keep chains out of our little town.  

What about whips? 8)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2004, 05:42:21 PM »

'Tis time to retreat to Tarnation; I will leave it to BK to ponder where in Tarnation I've gone.

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2004, 05:50:23 PM »

What about whips? 8)

;D We have everything here.  At the moment we even have nude protesters protesting the new anti-nude law.  Up until the new law was suggested I don’t  believe most townspeople new it was legal to run around town naked.  Now you can be topless but not bottomless, so what we really have is half of an anti-nude law.  I have been told the police chief who requested this new law is a “boob guy”, which explains why only half an anti-nude law.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

elmore thank you.  The large sunglasses help. :)

How are you feeling today?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2004, 05:59:16 PM »

If our voracious afficiando was out and about the Hollywood Hills 40 odd years ago he would no doubt have tales to tell.

True.  But I wasn't, so I don't.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up