Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW BOARD PROBLEMS OR QUESTIONS  (Read 24725 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NEW BOARD PROBLEMS OR QUESTIONS
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »

Here's where you can post about any issues you are having with our new discussion board.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: NEW BOARD PROBLEMS OR QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »

When I'm on page 3 of today's posts and I click on "next" it takes me to yesterday's posts, instead of page 4 of today's posts. When I click on "previous" it takes m back to 2008. A sort of time machine?

ChasSmith

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »

I don't see any list of members who are currently online.  Is it there, and my browser isn't picking it up?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »

I see it at the bottom of my home page - look there - in the upgrade they seem to have taken away the list that used to be at the top of the page in the specific topic.  Let me know if you see the list on the home page - you should be able to.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:45:32 PM »

First I want to saw I like the new look very much. Right now I am listening to the radio show. However I also wanted to read the notes and listen to the show at the same time, but when I clicked on the archive button to get today's notes, it disconnects the show. Is it possible to perhaps have the radio show open in a new window so we can peruse the site without having to open a new window ourselves? I opened a new window. I thought my suggestion might make things easier.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »

RE: CHAS Smith question. I also do not see the members who are online.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »

I want this to be the best site in the all of the WWW. So I hope I am not making too many postings here, but Doinald Feltham's radio show only plays the fiirst 17 minutes.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:04:30 PM »

Mike, for heaven's sake - we only loaded a portion of his show as a test and I said this earlier.  A full show will be up later tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »

RE: CHAS Smith question. I also do not see the members who are online.

Where are you looking?  It is not going to do anyone any good if you make general comments.  I see who's online on the HOME PAGE at the bottom.  Do you not see that?  That's what we need to know.  I understand you're not seeing who's on line at the TOP of the page in the current topic, where you used to be able to - I don't care about that, I care about the home page at the bottom and I see who's online.  If you don't, we need to know that so we can check that in preferences.

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »

Okay, I see it at the bottom of the home page.  I'd been looking for it within the threads themselves, where we used to have it showing at the top of the page -- but didn't see it there at all, top or bottom or anywhere else.  So, got it now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »

Excellent!

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »

Here's another:    Home --> Daily Discussions

All the old topics have "NEW" that would normally indicate responses I haven't read.  Is there a way to mark all that old stuff as "read" without going into every one of the topics?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »

All the old topics have "NEW" that would normally indicate responses I haven't read.  Is there a way to mark all that old stuff as "read" without going into every one of the topics?

I've already asked about it - and even if you go into the old topics by clicking on the "new" the "new" doesn't go away. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »

Found something that's changeable in the profiles (under Look and Layout) that you may or may not want to set so it can't be altered:  the number of responses per page.  It starts with the system default of 30, but it allowed me to change it.  I set it for 5, and sure enough, I got 5 responses per page and found myself on something like page 40 in the current day's thread!  This probably wouldn't matter on any other board, but I think we enjoy our tradition of 30 here.  Not that that's something most people would discover, let alone change, so just an FYI.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »

Well, that only applies to each individual user, but I'll look into making that something that people can't change.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »

I've already asked about it - and even if you go into the old topics by clicking on the "new" the "new" doesn't go away. 

I did it for yesterday's thread and it worked.  Even logged out and back in to make sure it stayed "read".  But you have to go to the last page in the thread and maybe even scroll down to the bottom (just hit the "End" key).  Anyhoo, that one's taken care of! 

I might do just enough of them to make the initial list look cleaner, and they'll eventually scroll off anyway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »

Yes, I just learned the same thing you did - click on "new" then go to the last page of posts - at this point that gets rid of it, but there has to be an easier way.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »

So, "never mind!"  Clicking on MARK READ at top right removes the NEWs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 08:59:09 PM »

Just let me know that it comes back for the current topic - that's all we care about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »

So, Vigen, it appears we've solved that "new" problem - I'll let you know in the morning.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »

Just let me know that it comes back for the current topic - that's all we care about.

Yes.  Looks solved to me.

Also, you have to do it in each section -- Daily Discussions, Tech Support, Books, etc.  But it totally works.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »

When I'm on page 3 of today's posts and I click on "next" it takes me to yesterday's posts, instead of page 4 of today's posts. When I click on "previous" it takes m back to 2008. A sort of time machine?

That doesn't have anything to do with going to the next page...it actually was there on the old board.  This is weird...if you click "next >>" it actually takes you to the previous day's posts, and if you click "<< previous" it takes you to the NEXT day of posts.  And since today (May 30, 2013) is the last day chronologically (at the time of this posting), it wraps around to the first day of posts in the last archive, Archive 13.

Weird!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:25:13 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »

I like it! :)

George

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 11:39:11 PM »

Reposting this from the regular board:

8)

really nice

I like the new smiley faces  :o

And then I wrote:
Except that  :o and  ::) and  :-* and  :'( aren't animated anymore.

:(

And the BK wrote:
We may be able to animate - please post that in tech support - I'm sure it's just something we have to enable.

Done.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 01:22:36 AM »

Here's a (detailed) question about avatars.  I wanted to see if newly uploaded avatars would still be limited to the 65 by 65 pixel size.  I went to my Forum Profile and uploaded a new picture and it did squeeze the original 110x150 image down to 47x65 pixels.  So, I wanted to change back to my previous 65x65 avatar.  I selected "Choose avatar from gallery," but what I had been using wasn't there.  I will admit that I didn't remember the specific file name, but I went through EVERY photo in that list and mine wasn't there.  I right-clicked on the image, chose "Properties" and noticed that the avatars in the Forum Profile list had the test board domain URL...for instance, this is one of my avatars in the list:

http://www.haineshisway.com.preview.islandtechnologies.net/smf/avatars/Carmen%20at%20the%20Stardust.jpg

but my new avatar is:

http://www.haineshisway.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=5086;type=avatar

After uploading the new, illustrated avatar, I actually changed to the Carmen and then tried to find the illustrated image, but that wasn't in the list, either, so I reuploaded the same image (I didn't change the original file name and I didn't get an error message that it already exited in the system).  Where could they be?  Will the two different avatar locations be merged?  Does any of this make sense??
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:28:22 AM by George »

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 05:53:49 AM »

Now that a new day has dawned and I'm reading and posting in the new day's thread, I have to say that I do miss being able to see, right there on that page, who's online AND reading the same topic I'm in.

Amazing how it feels like I'm all alone there ... even at a time when there are most likely several others right there with me!

Has that been put to rest, or is there any chance of getting it back?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:04:55 AM by ChasSmith »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »

Not that I can see - but we'll check.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 08:20:48 AM »

Well, I found it, I enabled it, and you can now see who is viewing the board you're on - it's not where it used to be on the right - it's above the first post on any page on the left.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »

And that's just fine.  Don't care where it is.  Beautiful!!  Excellent!!  Thanks!!

Great customer service in this jernt!

George

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

The only thing about the avatars is that the new ones that have just been uploaded do not show up in the list of avatars when you "Choose avatar from gallery."  Does that mean that ANY time we want to change one, and then change it back, we have to re-upload the previous avatar that we want to reuse?  Or is there a way to have the newly uploaded avatars show up in that list?  I'll also re-post this in the Technical Board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up