Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EXTRA WHIPPED CREAM  (Read 21731 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:EXTRA WHIPPED CREAM
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 07:56:47 AM »

I have to agree with DiT and RLP...even though it is comparing apples and oranges, but The Music Man it is for me.

Maybe we should do an informal 1957 Tony Awards/2003 Tony Awards and see our results.

1957:  The Music Man or West Side Story
2003:  Avenue Q or Caroline or Change

My votes:  MM & Avenue Q
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 08:03:00 AM »

Yes, Noel beat me to the answer by a few minutes. As A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD/A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE is one of my all-time favorite revue/musicals, I thought of the coming attractions when I was reading BK's note this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 08:04:05 AM »

I would say THE BOY FRIEND was probably the first non-American musical I saw in a summer stock tour when I was just barely a teen-ager.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2004, 08:07:30 AM »

Those are difficult choices. I recognize the inovations in BOTH of them: WEST SIDE STORY and THE MUSIC MAN. My first instinct is to give it to THE MUSIC MAN, but I may rethink later today and change my vote.

I haven't seen or heard CAROLINE so I can't make a decision on a choice between it and AVENUE Q, but in its own way, AVENUE Q is very innovative, imaginative, and both hilarious and poignant within the little world it creates. I have only the "Lot's Wife" number on the Tonys to go by for CAROLINE, and it totally underwhelmed me. However, within the context of the show, I might have liked it more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2004, 08:11:39 AM »

Those who've read Kritzer Time know very well what my first non US musical was: Stop the World.  

Glad Brandon has joined our merry troupe.  He'll be getting more of a workout tomorrow when we add mics to the mix.  More about that later.

I'll be here until one to answer any questions.

Broadway Bound: No Way to Treat a Lady was the only show I actually either read or saw, save for the Ron Abel/Chuck Steffan Camille, which I saw a reading of years ago.  As is the case a lot of times, books are frequently the big problems in musicals, and I'm sure that that has at least something to do with what you're asking, WEL.  Also, it can even be as simple as that the idea of the show isn't that good.  Camille, for example, was, at the time of the reading, excruciating to sit through.  But individual songs can be great and can record well.  The intent of the album, really, was to showcase Broadway Bound writers.  Sadly, the writers haven't achieved that (some have achieved off-Broadway, of course), and I still say that some of the writers on that album were as talented or more talented than any new writer who's had a B'way show since.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2004, 08:12:41 AM »

I love that song...I love that song.  I saw THE PAJAMA GAME movie first as a small child when it was shown by Miss Frances Farmer on her afternoon movie program.  And I went around singing the songs for days, until I was at last able to buy the Pajama Game soundtrack on extended 45's!  Still have it, still play it....still love it!

PG is also one of my favorite musicals, JRand.  I remember seeing a snippet of "7 and a 1/2 Cents" on a tribute to Warner Brothers TV show back in the early 70s and instantly wanting to hear more.  I asked my mom to pick me up the movie soundtrack at Two Guys and she brought back the original cast recording and I fell in love with it even more. Eventually, I was able to see the whole movie when CBS broadcasted it late one night.

In high school, I pestered the teacher who directed the school musicals to do PG.  He said, "Where would we get all those sewing machines?"  ::)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 08:14:24 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2004, 08:16:01 AM »

I just thought it would be neat
to be part of Scarlet Street.

Well, I thought it would be neat to read Scarlet Street; so, like a good little Kimlet, I hopped onto their website and forth with subcribed (PAYPAL Jan 26, 2004).

I have yet to receive a single issue!!

der hates to complain Brucer
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 08:39:53 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2004, 08:18:02 AM »

I just swept the "roof" of my little balcony. There were all sorts of tiny critters in the crevices up there. Now they're in my hair.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2004, 08:28:28 AM »

Yes, Noel beat me to the answer by a few minutes. As A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD/A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE is one of my all-time favorite revue/musicals, I thought of the coming attractions when I was reading BK's note this morning.

Another one of my favs, too, DR Matt.  I still laugh when I think of the late great Peggy Hewitt lugging out that huge saxophone and whomping out "On the Good Ship Lollipop" on it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2004, 08:36:37 AM »

I just swept the "roof" of my little balcony. There were all sorts of tiny critters in the crevices up there. Now they're in my hair.

I heard about this girl who had a huge beehive do and she walked under a spiderweb and her do swept up the spider and then a week later she was sitting in algebra and she started bleeding from her ears and she dropped dead right there in class.  When they did an autopsy, they found that the spider had laid its eggs in her do and when the baby spiders hatched they burrowed themselves into her skull and they started to eat her brain!!!

So wash your hair, now!  Before it's too late!
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2004, 08:37:46 AM »

Another one of my favs, too, DR Matt.  I still laugh when I think of the late great Peggy Hewitt lugging out that huge saxophone and whomping out "On the Good Ship Lollipop" on it.

Oh, what a wonderful memory you've just brought back to me. Just loved that show, that ankle stage, the versatility of the performers. It's always been one of my dreams to do that show.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2004, 08:38:17 AM »

Those who've read Kritzer Time know very well what my first non US musical was: Stop the World.  

Well, we know Benjamin loved Stop the World. We also know it was not his first musical theatre experience (e.g. "Billy Barnes' LA," and "Family Affair" were previously seen).

Are we then to conclude that Benjamin saw no other shows than those mentioned in the novels; or, more to the point, are we to conclude that Bruce Kimmel saw no other shows than those commented upon in the Kritzer novels?

der "just the facts, ma'am" Brucer

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2004, 08:40:39 AM »

Hello, everybody!  I'm popping in to answer and ask some questions.

My first "Broadway" musicals were actually West End shows.  I didn't see New York until after I graduated from college, but while I was a sophomore in college my mom took me to London.  We saw Sunset Boulevard WITH Patti LuPone, thank you very much; Les Miserables; Crazy for You; Blood Brothers; and Miss Saigon.  Also, in high school I saw POTO at the Kennedy Center.  My theatre/band geek friends and I were obsessed with it at the time, and my friend Heather and I sobbed through the entire thing.  I would never go see it now, here in New York, but every time I see the buses with the "Remember your first time?" ads for it, I think about that first time in DC.  

Der Brucer, to answer your question about the "adult" camp at which DH Noel is teaching (and leaving me to sleep alone with the roaches tonight, I might add):   when we were at the musical theatre version of this camp a few years ago, we were joined by another group of campers who called themselves "The Sucasians", and I have no idea if I'm spelling it right.  They get the name from the Spanish expression "Mi casa, su casa" (someone who speaks Spanish, please correct me if I've misquoted that).  They are essentially peace-lovin', free-love-sharin', grass-smokin' hippies who get together and share their love all over the country, and perhaps the world.  They were there having a get-together, and we hung out with them and they came to see our final performance.  Wonderful, lovely people.  I'm certain that much shedding of clothing was done in their bungalow.

As for us musical theatre campers, at some point in the week we went skinny-dipping, and the moment that DH Noel dropped trou and jumped into the pool was the moment I knew he was the man for me.

And now I have a question for BK and everybody else:
What IS it with the five-and-a-half octave range claim?  The entire canon of opera music, from basso profundo to coluratura, only encompasses about four and a half octaves.  So how is it that Jessica Simpson's father/manager can claim that she has a five-and-a-half octave range?  If she can go from a C below middle C to the C above high C, that would be an extremely wide range, and possible (although it wouldn't be pretty), but that is only four octaves.  It is just not possible, and even if it WAS possible, she would never record anything that encompassed that range.   Not even close.  The widest range any pop singer, excluding Mariah  Carey with her whistle tones, is probably about two and a half.  So what gives?

This claim by Jessica's father (in Vanity Fair last month) isn't the first time I've heard this little slice of ignorance.  My stepmother took me and my sister to an agent in Phoenix who heard us sing and remarked on how we were such great singers because we can sing "in that fifth octave".  ???????????  What is WRONG with these people?

Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2004, 08:41:50 AM »

I heard about this girl

You subscribe to "Urban Legends Review"?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2004, 08:52:15 AM »

Actually DrderBrucer - if you go to the site and email the Reditor, he is very good about getting you your copy of SS.  

Let him  know when you subscribed.  Subscribing in 1/2004 you should have a least one in your library by now....maybe two!  Email...and tell him TD sent you!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2004, 08:53:34 AM »

DRJoy - the fact that Jessica and/or Ashlee Simpson claim to be singers at all astounds me!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2004, 08:53:51 AM »

So wash your hair, now!  Before it's too late!

Not enough hair to worry about, but thanks for the alert.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2004, 08:56:58 AM »

As for us musical theatre campers, at some point in the week we went skinny-dipping, and the moment that DH Noel dropped trou and jumped into the pool was the moment I knew he was the man for me.

Too bad the karma feature was scrapped. DR Noel's rating would be going through the roof.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 08:57:42 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2004, 09:00:56 AM »

DiT your comparison of URINETOWN and THE WIZ has made my day!

DR DtM - i love urban legends like that!!!  Spiders in the hair....yuck.

Mr BK must have missed my question about the Frank Lloyd Wright and Lloyd Wright homes.....do you live near any of them....or have a favorite in the LA area?

Warning:  My friend Sandi bought a big cactus at the plant store.  A few days later she noticed that it was expanding....as the days went by, it swelled larger and larger.  She eventually called the store and told them.  She was told to wrap the cactus securely in a garbage bad and return it at once to the store.  It seems that these are the symtoms of a plant that is plaing host to scorpion babies and they have hatched.  The cactus would have soon exploded and her home infested with thousands of baby scorpions.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2004, 09:03:28 AM »

You subscribe to "Urban Legends Review"?

Subscribe?  I'm a free-lance contributor!
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2004, 09:04:53 AM »

Ew! Ew! Ew!  MY MIND'S EYE!  MY MIND'S EYE!

;)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 09:05:59 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2004, 09:10:50 AM »

DR Joy, the Sucasians sound a lot like the staff at the Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, NY--the adult summer holastic learning center camp that I go to annually.  The only difference is that they tend to keep their grass smoking, naked-goin' and free lovin' ways amongst themselves.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2004, 09:18:05 AM »

here in New York, but every time I see the buses with the "Remember your first time?" ads for it, I think about that first time in DC.  

That's funny, 'cause every time I see those "Remember your first time?" ads, I think of A CHORUS LINE, which (I believe) was the FIRST show to use that line....

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2004, 09:18:25 AM »

It's Abie the Wonderdog's BIRTHDAY today! He's two. I took a birthday portrait, but my phone-camera refuses to focus properly. Perhaps dear JRand could fix it? Anyway, here's the birthday boy...

Panni

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2004, 09:19:26 AM »

And here's the latest of Pete the Turtle....

Panni

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2004, 09:20:50 AM »

And finally, the three FROG MUSES my producers gave me the other day...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2004, 09:21:30 AM »

Happy birthday, Abie baby,
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday, Abie baby,
Happy birthday to you!
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2004, 09:28:08 AM »

WOOF!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2004, 09:29:46 AM »

I'm sure Benjamin saw a few other shows, but those were the ones that had impact (the ones mentioned) - I may be wrong, however, and the ones mentioned may be all of them (up through the end of the book).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2004, 09:30:48 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  We're talkin' about questions and answers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up