Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNT FOR FIRST EDITIONS  (Read 17379 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE HUNT FOR FIRST EDITIONS
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »

I have have never really bought any books as an investment, but several of my volumes have become that. One is an autographed copy of Terry McMillan's first novel, "Mama," which is near perfect. She was shocked to see it when I handed it over to be autographed.

I have probably eight of James Hall's mysteries in autographed first editions and almost that many of Michael Connelly's mysteries. Plus a few scattered volumes of Florida mystery writers'. I also have numerous cookbooks that have been personally inscribed.

My friend, Hudson Talbott, has signed most of his books for me, including his children's book version of "Into the Woods." And I have several autographed volumes of BK's that I treasure.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »

Had truffled scrambled eggs and melon for breakfast with a glass of chenin blanc. That's my idea of civilized.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »

I can hear the crowds yelling and cheering Edie Windsor as the parade has reached 16th Street and 5th Avenue. It's not horribly hot (not as hot as CA or TX or AZ) but it's humid enough and crowded enough that we are refraining from joining the crowds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »

The high today will be 78 degrees.   :)

John G.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »

After hitting somewhere above 108 yesterday, the temperature now is in the low 70s, thanks to a persistent rain shower that began while I was in church a few hours ago.
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »

I picked up a couple more paint samples to try to get a color for the room that I just can't decide about.  Going back to neutral colors. I'm also planning to get back to stripping the wallpaper.  I was so ready to get this done last summer, but my car accident interfered.  So it's my goal for the summer to finish the paint and then I can finish the room.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »

The past few summers have ben scorchers here.  We had drought and really hot weather.  This summer is a lot wetter and cooler.  It's such a relief.  This is the weather I remember growing up and I love it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »

DR Laura, I'm watching the Weather Channel, hope your AC is working well

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »

Back in the Grand Ballroom for the Public Library Association Awards Ceremony and keynote speech by author Ann Patchett.  I have an even better seat than for Giada - who ROCKED!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ryacko

• Fancy an awkward pause?
    • Robert Yacko's dot com
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »

Happy Sunday to all!

BK, I LOVED "Harpo Speaks". I used to have a paperback copy, but I think I loaned it to someone and never saw it again. What a wonderful book!

Still too hot here. *sizzle*

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - slept way too late but really needed it and I do have to be up tomorrow at six - but I have all this damn busy work to do, so I guess I'll jog now or maybe wait till early evening to jog.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »

Is Pogue on a Mac - easy to make the photo lets bytes in iPhoto - just highlight the photo, go up to the left side menu bar and click "File" then from that drop down menu click "export" - you then get a window asking about size of photo and you just select medium at both places then "export" - simple as pie and select your desktop for where you want it to show up.

Kate

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »

Hello Everyone:

DR BK, I Love your library!!

I too, have many books.  Unfortunately, not First Editions.

Kate

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »

I would loved to have a first Edition Of To Kill A Mockingbird and A tree Grows in Brooklyn!

Kate

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »

DR BK,

Since you were once on The Donny and Marie Show I was wondering if you ever watched The Marie Show.  It is Marie's talk show.  I watch once and a while.  I think it is good.

Kate

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »

Good bye for now.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »

Good bye for now.

That would make a great title for a Sondheim song...        ;D
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »

Back in the Grand Ballroom for the Public Library Association Awards Ceremony and keynote speech by author Ann Patchett.  I have an even better seat than for Giada - who ROCKED!
Love Ann Patchett.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »

Have never seen The Marie Show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »

I do have a first of To Kill a Mockingbird - not the greatest copy (it is almost impossible to find this book's jacket in anything but ratty condition due to its cheap paper and the extreme popularity of the book) - most jackets have had some kind of restoration done on them, and while it can be pleasing, it lessens the value as most collectors want what is called unsophisticated jackets, i.e. with no restoration whatsoever.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »

I can hear the crowds yelling and cheering Edie Windsor as the parade has reached 16th Street and 5th Avenue. It's not horribly hot (not as hot as CA or TX or AZ) but it's humid enough and crowded enough that we are refraining from joining the crowds.

I would love to meet Ms. Windsor.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kate

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »

Yes, BK The Marie Show is on weekday afternoons.

Kate

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »

Not only was To Kill A Mockingbird a great book, the movie was wonderful too.

You are so lucky to have a First Edition of it BK!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »

The new issue of Entertainment Weekly arrived yesterday, and I read it last night.  it is, what they call, The Best issue, covering the 100 Best Movies, Best Television, Best Music Albums, Best books, and actually what they  consider the 50 Best Plays.  I give them a pass on Best Movie and Best TV, since there are always a ton of those lists.

What I have a problem with is what they call the 100 Best Music Albums.  At least 95% of their albums are rock, rap, etc.  The other couple of albums are Country.  No other kind of album is included.  Then why not call it the 100 Best Rock Albums?  To call it the 100 Best Albums does a huge disservice to every other type of album ever recorded.
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »

Second movie in three days to use "Fur Elise." And in both, people want the music to stop. Can we call a moratorium on its use for at least five years, if not for good?

First it was "Django Unchained." Now, it's Kenneth Lonergan's "Margaret," which very well could be the masterpiece that the reviews on the box claim it to be. But that doesn't mean it's easy to watch. A three-hour study of a girl who witnesses a tragic accident and the aftermath. I've seen Bergman dramas that were less intense.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »

The 50 Best Play section is interesting because they also include a Top Ten Shakespeare and a Top Ten musical.  So they ended up covering their list of the Best 70 plays.  Could they really not come up with 30 additional plays?  I think I could do it, and I am sure that many other dear readers could do it, as well as BK.
“One thing’s universal,

Kate

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2013, 01:36:03 PM »

Good bye for now, (AKA Stephen Sondheim's latest song)  LOL

John G.

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »

Can we move off this page?
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up