Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PAPERBACKS  (Read 15190 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: PAPERBACKS
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »

One of my favorite PAPERBACK books....still in my possession....it's a Pocket Book - in its 29th Printing!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »

Page Two Harold Robbins Dance.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:40 AM »

I'm up I'm up, and glad that it's Friday, and besides my normal church activities and one more performance of the show in the woods, my weekend looks free.  I'm jiggy with that.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »

BK, the notes with illustrations are the cat's meow! Or is should that be the cat's pajamas? Anyway...fun!

And loving the paperback books. Pieces of art, those covers are...and I hope more from DRs collections will be shown! I will try to show some of my favorites, as well!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 08:18:41 AM »

Those photos are bigger than LIFE sized.....I found them on EBAY instead of scanning my book.....

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »

That last couple of trips to LA I had meant to take the Kritzerland Tour but either I got to busy or BK was quite busy, and so it never came to be. But next time, for sure!

I am also keen to visit BK's home environment so that I can see, in person, the actual paintings which became paperback book covers.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 08:20:30 AM »

TOD:

Assuming I can take a break from reworking my play for the Soap Lake theater, I have a few things to watch this weekend.

From the Blockbuster used DVD table, I picked up SAFE HAVEN and OZ, THE GREAT AND POWERFUL (or whatever it's called).

Also, from TCM, I recorded the Harold Lloyd movie, THE SIN OF HAROLD DIDDLEBOACK.
You can dream…or you can do.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 08:21:21 AM »

Here is one of my favorite paperback book covers. This is from Amazon.com, but I do have this book in my collection.

I think it is the title, even more than the cover, that I love!

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »

And yes, HOT PANTS HOMO really does need to be in my book collection.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »

I am really annoyed by SO MANY of the contestants (I won't call them designers yet) on this season's PWOJECT WUNWAY that I can't imagine watching it until there are fewer of them around....I would have sent home ALL FOUR of those on the losing side last night.....

Especially dislike the environmental hypocrite, the tattooed dumb girl, the OTHER girl from Milwaukee with glasses, and the Russian guy....but there is an embarrassment of riches in uselessness among the group.

And it remains fascinating.   Sandro...why on earth would they KEEP him?  They liked the way the piece was constructed...never mind that it didn't fit the model and that she was XXX-rated on the runway.

While I think the correct person won, I think Kate should have been up there as one of the best, as well.  And perhaps she would have been had they known about the former soldier's violation of the challenge's requirements.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:31:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 08:31:06 AM »

BK:  I, for one, would love to know exactly what the inscription on the Adams/Wiltern photo says.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Book group last night was delightful because the author, Sharon Short, was there in person to talk about her novel My One Square Inch of Alaska.  It was a little odd not to be in charge...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »

TOD - the first of my entries on our Netflix list arrived yesterday, HYDE PARK ON HUDSON.  I probably won't watch it until after Richard leaves tomorrow.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »

When I was in L.A. last fall I had my own very critical and overdue DR ChasSmith Tour to accomplish, or I would have wrangled the Kritzer Tour out of BK.  Next time, for sure, though, and I will treasure every block of it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »

DR Jrand62, I used to have that CARPETBAGGERS paperback.  I've never properly seen the movie, but caught it a few times on afternoon TV and always loved the story.

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »

Movie and TV tie-in paperbacks are what ignited the passion in me at age 10 or 11.

We were already addicted to THE TWILIGHT ZONE (mainly me, but my parents certainly enjoyed it) when my dad spotted "More Stories From..." at a drugstore and brought it home to me.  I just about peed my pants with surprise and delight.  A year or so later, we saw PREMATURE BURIAL on its opening Friday night at the Warnor in Fort Lauderdale.  The movie blew me away in its own right, but what really clinched it was being at a small market the next morning and finding the Lancer tie-in on the revolving paperback rack.  That started an obsession that probably had my folks wanting to kill me at various times over the next several years.  I'd missed the first two Corman films but as they played the drive-ins, etc., I and the family quickly caught up with them, and thanks to me, we all stayed caught up as subsequent ones were released. 

I would read these things over and over and over, I'd read passages out loud to them, I'd talk about the films endlessly.  In addition to the racks at drugstores, etc., we had one large downtown "news store" that stocked a lot of paperbacks, and I soon learned that if they didn't have something, they could order it, and I was probably one of the few kids to hang out there frequently and for long periods of time, just awed by all of it.  This was long before I discovered "real" book stores, and for years, paperbacks were it for me.  I later learned I could put my fifty cents into the mail and order direct from the publisher, and that's how I got PIT AND THE PENDULUM which I devoured the afternoon it arrived, and which I also dragged the family to the drive-in to see for our second or third time that night.   (Did we really put cash into the mail? I can't say, but I know I ordered a few things that way.)

Horror and thrillers and the like were my number one obsession, but I soon grew to embrace paperback movie tie-ins for musicals, romantic comedies, and whatever else tickled my fancy at the time.  I scanned a few favorite horror/thriller ones which I'll post shortly.  In a few cases, it's obvious (due to the damned address label!) that these are my original copies from the early 1960s.  As soon as I discovered eBay in 1998, I began seeking out replacements, and one of my very first purchases was a near mint set of the Corman/Poe novelizations.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »

And yes, HOT PANTS HOMO really does need to be in my book collection.

I thought it was a publication of your dreams diary!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »

Well, let's see what these look like.

ChasSmith

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:51 AM »

Yikes.  HUGE.  And the file is only 111k!  Is that okay for everyone?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »

Yes the photo in the notes is most interesting....obviously Mr Adams was still in his "new James Dean" mode.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »

Nice book DR CHAS SMITH.  I got my Twilight Zone tales books from the Book Club!!!

ChasSmith

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »

The Wiltern looks so damned great, too.  I never knew it as a regularly working movie theater, I'm sad to say.

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »

Nice book DR CHAS SMITH.  I got my Twilight Zone tales books from the Book Club!!!

The SF book club?  I was in that, too.  In fact, I might still have that TZ book.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »

I, for one, would love to know exactly what the inscription on the Adams/Wiltern photo says.

I could read it quite clearly. It says "To Ron Pulliam - Come up to the Wiltern some time and see my etchings.    -Adams"
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »

Found this beauty recently and had to pick it up as a gift:

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:11 AM »

oops.  Never mind.  I don't still have it!

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 08:59:07 AM »

Oh that is a beauty, DR John G.  What a wonderful find!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »

I would love to have had a job back in the day writing the copy for these paperback covers.

Everything is so BREATHLESS.  And EXCITING.  And OVER THE TOP!      :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

ChasSmith

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »

Okay then, here's some more.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »

I would love to have had a job back in the day writing the copy for these paperback covers.

Everything is so BREATHLESS.  And EXCITING.  And OVER THE TOP!      :)

And TWISTED! And TORMENTED! And TORN FROM TODAY'S HEADLINES!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up