Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SICK OF SANDWICHES  (Read 16851 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:SICK OF SANDWICHES
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2004, 12:52:06 PM »

The drive to the parking lot to hike Grizzly Peak is about half an hour, maybe a little bit more, from my house.  I don't go often as I prefer not to go there alone.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2004, 12:52:37 PM »

I did that all by myself! 8)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2004, 12:54:25 PM »

Wow!  That's a beautiful picture, Jane!

~~~Healty Healing Vibes for Elmore!!~~~

***Happy Anniversary Ben & Anthony!!***
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2004, 12:55:09 PM »

Funniest news quote of the day... I was reading an article about this idiot named Vanderford in San Francisco who faked his own beheading in a gruesome video which was shown and reported all over the world as real. Now the truth has come out - that the whole thing was a sick hoax filmed in his garage. It turns out that this poor excuse for a human being works for Wells Fargo in SF and is, of course, very much alive. The last line in the article: "Vanderford expressed the hope that his stunt would not affect his bank job."

Panni

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2004, 12:57:09 PM »

Lovely photo, Jane.

François de Paris

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2004, 12:58:29 PM »

Dear reader Jrand53 4/5!

I have seen Escapade in Florence many years ago on the Disney Channel; it's a fluffy, naive, sort of travelog little movie BUT....... and we're coming full-circle to a quiz I posted a few months ago here and to which I never gave the answer.... it also stars dreamboat NINO CASTELNUOVO (Mr Newcastle?!) who also was opposite Catherine Deneuve in Les Parapluies.... So Annette and Catherine D. do have something in common, moviewise!

http://www.mousestars.com/steve/annette/af_ef12.htm
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 08:53:35 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2004, 01:00:49 PM »

Dear reader Jane,

you are so darn lucky to live in such a beautiful environment!

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pics and peaks with all of us!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2004, 01:02:43 PM »

Happy Anniversary, B&A!!!

I forgot all about Goldfish. I love them, the crackers, that is.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2004, 01:04:21 PM »

Thank you George and Panni. :)

Panni, I think that person needs some serious help.  :o Was he charged with a crime?

I managed to post photos without a problem but not a single page dance I tried worked. ???

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2004, 01:04:49 PM »

I did not read a single positive review of THE HUMAN STAIN. Every review stated that Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman were both miserably miscast in their roles. Since I like both of them as actors, I was not anxious to see them in something I possibly wouldn't like. When the movie finally shows up on HBO/STARZ/Showtime, I will watch it, but I didn't want to shell out any money on it otherwise.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2004, 01:06:33 PM »

François, yes I am lucky and you are welcome.  It is fun to share them. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2004, 01:08:40 PM »

I don't have especially kind things to say about Disney's ROBIN HOOD, either. The voice casting was very erratic: for every good like Brian Bedford as Robin they had some idiot casting like Phil Harris for Little John. The music isn't memorable (despite an Oscar nomination for "Love"). I do like the Disney 70s animation style as it was rich and rounded rather than the stylized look of something like MULAN or THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE (though I like those very much). I just didn't think the script, direction, or some of the voices were particularly apt.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2004, 01:13:29 PM »

Yes, the liner notes in THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT revealed that the original play ran a year and a half on Broadway, so I figured it must work better as a play than as a film. And as it was Herbert Ross' second effort as a film director (and first time in a non-musical), I didn't think his direction was especially interesting. No one around here ever does the play.

François de Paris

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2004, 01:15:49 PM »

Panni

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2004, 01:17:10 PM »

Jane - I don't know if he was charged. He should be.
As for the Page Three dance - i think your picture WAS the dance -- "The hills are alive with the sound of music" Dance.

George

« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2004, 01:19:12 PM »

Thank you George and Panni. :)

Panni, I think that person needs some serious help.  :o Was he charged with a crime?

I managed to post photos without a problem but not a single page dance I tried worked. ???

Jane, did you put the URL of your dance image in between the "[ img ]" and "[ /img ]" brackets (without spaces inside the brackets)?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2004, 01:22:37 PM »

I have my Deanna Durbin franchise collection, my "Back to the Future" trilogy, plus about two dozen (or more) "other" DVDs yet unwatched (including the bulk of the Disney tins, all of which I've collected).

Speaking of the Disney tins, I was very distressed to read that the True-Life Adventure tin, scheduled for release at year-end with Mickey in Black and White Vol. 2, The Mickey Mouse Club, and The Complete Pluto, has been either postponed or canceled.  :(

Speaking of the Disney tins...again, of those of you who have them, what are the limited numbered numbers of your tins?  I only have one (from the very first batch, I think), "Silly Symphonies" and it's #003268 of 150000.  The number is embossed on the tin right under the little picture, but they don't show numbers on the newer ones.  Are the newer ones even numbered?  I got mine at Costco and I'll admit that I really only got it because the number was so low.  I wonder what it would sell on eBay... ::)

François de Paris

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2004, 01:25:55 PM »

Robin Hood, the animated film;

Peter Ustinov's Prince John is terrific and has some of the BEST animation ever done for a Disney film, thanks to Ollie Johnston's splendid animation work!

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Commentary/Frank_and_Ollie/Frank_and_Ollie.htm
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 01:27:28 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2004, 01:37:44 PM »

Re: Walt Disney Treasures tins:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/treasures.html

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2004, 01:42:40 PM »

Robin Hood, the animated film;

Peter Ustinov's Prince John is terrific and has some of the BEST animation ever done for a Disney film, thanks to Ollie Johnston's splendid animation work!

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Commentary/Frank_and_Ollie/Frank_and_Ollie.htm

I agree with Ustinov's Prince John being one of the highlights of the film. I also mentioned I liked the animation.

But I abhor Phil Harris as Little John, Pat Buttram as the Sheriff, and all of the reliance on small kiddie animals which deflect from the story and make it unappealing for an adult (or for this adult anyway). The actors who voice the children are also wretched.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »

The numbers on the second batch of tins are on the certificates of authenticity inside but not on the outside like the original tins. None of my tins had low numbers, and the Davy Crockett tin is very high, among the last couple of thousand issued.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 01:51:07 PM by Matt H. »

François de Paris

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2004, 01:56:35 PM »

A conversation with a Classic Queen
Part One:

August 3rd 2004 (www.iesb.net)
Interview With Julie Andrews on Princess Diaries 2

Q:You seem to be channeling queens recently

JA: Oh come on, give me a break. I've channeled queens and nannies and cross-dressers.

Q: But you played one in Shrek and these two.

JA: Yes, that's three queens in a row. I think I have to look for another day job, don't you?

Q: But you're the only one -

JA: No, come on. The thing is - first of all, why not? Because I get to wear all these great jewels and these gorgeous dresses, and I get to work for Garry Marshall, what's nicer than that?

Q: What was it like working with Hector again?

JA: Great, great. First of all, he's lovely to work with and everybody from the first movie, people would stop me on the street and say, 'Were
you an item, and will you get together in the next one? Is he going to be in it?' They love him and his character. So I think it was a foregone conclusion that we had to do something in this new movie.

Q: He seems to think that there is more coming up between Clarisse and Joseph

JA: Oh, I can't imagine where we'd go from here.

Q: Bed and Breakfast on the border?

JA: Too late to have babies I think; so breakfast on the border (?), maybe. Maybe a bedroom scene, who knows. It's a family movie, so we have
to be careful.

Q: Congratulations on Shrek - it's number three spot of all time yesterday.

JA: Amazing, isn't it? It's wonderful. It's like one of those lovely perks that come along every once in awhile. I'm so proud to be part of it, and
this movie too.

Q: Weren't you nominated for an Emmy for one of the Eloise movies?

JA: Yes, yes. Totally surprised.

Q: The last time we spoke you were talking about your children's book coming out.

JA: It's out; that one's out. It's called Dragon, about a wonderful dog called Dragon. And there's a new one that I'm working on at the moment
coming up for next year, you know what, to be really honest with you I'm not mentioning it, because if I give you the title I think it will give away the story and I'd rather not at this point.

Q: It was such a joy to see you sing again - I know you said you were talking/singing, but it sounded like singing to me

JA: Thank you. Actually, if you really watch it it's very carefully - and I kind of slide in and out of it. I really don't sing. Not the kind of
Sound of Music singing.

Q: It was rapping basically

JA: You know what's so clever is that the minute I walk off that stage and hand it over to the kids, they do rap; they do sort of do their thing. It's certainly hip-hop.

Q: Did you fight against doing it?

JA: I did wonder if I should, and then I have to admit it was slightly intriguing to see if I could pull anything off at this point. And Garry
and I promised each other that if it didn't work it would not be in the movie. I actually wondered if it was right for a movie. I said, 'What if
it holds up the action? What if people say, 'Oh, they just did that.' But it comes out of a real place, so it's okay.

Q: At the Shrek junket you said you didn't know if it was going to be in or not

JA: That's right. So we made that deal with each other about it.

Q: Were there legal implications if you're singing and you have a bad throat?

JA: Well, I don't have a court action anymore, it's six years since all of that. And I'm not singing, I'm not able to sing really, to practice, you
can hear. So it was really talking in a very, very low key and just occasionally touching notes here and there.

Q: Did I read that you moved from Malibu to New York?

JA: No, you're slightly wrong. We did sell our place in Malibu. We now do live in - we have a very small place in Brentwood. But we do have a
hideaway in Long Island, because my middle daughter's there, the one that I write my books with, and who runs my company. And some of my
grandchildren are there.

Q: And you don't consider either place home?

JA: I think this is probably more home base, because this is where Blake works from most of the time. But I'm in and out quite a bit.

Q: And the last time we spoke you were saying that there was a possibility of doing something with Carol Burnett again. How is that coming?

JA: For this year, the timing of it fell through. She wasn't able to do it when I could, and vice-versa, but it's certainly being considered for next
year.

Q: When you did Princess Diaries it was Anne's first film, I wonder how she has changed from the first one?

JA: Was it her first one? Wow. Truly - (the man brings in Julie's book - hands them out) Truly she's a natural and she's a very, very good actress,
she's wonderful at comedy, she's as beautiful inside as she is outside. I think, yes, does she know her craft even better than she did, probably. But I don't think she needed to be taught very much.

Q: Hector said you were like a mentor to her

JA: I was?

Q: He noticed that you brought her by your side to watch dailies and said 'Look at the camera,' etc

JA: I think he's being a little over kind. That's very sweet. Well, she's good. I did, I don't anymore because she's fine. I did feel protective,
she's such a lovely talent and such a sweet girl, that I do want the best for her, but no she doesn't need much from me, she's got it. I think she's
going to be a huge star.

Q: James Garner said that The Americanization of Emily was his favorite movie - do you have any story from that or any of your big films?

JA: Oh God, I have tons. What do you want to know? Garner I adored to work with, he's a friend, we've been friends ever since then. We worked three times together as you know, Victor Victoria, a television movie called One Special Night and The Americanization of Emily. We both loved Emily. It was such a great screenplay, Paddy Chayefsky and he wrote so well and I am so thrilled to have been a part of it. Alright, I'll tell you one about James himself. Almost one of the first scenes we shot, and you have to remember I had only made Mary Poppins, never made a serious, non-singing role, never done a love scene, never done anything. And one of the first things we shot was the bedroom scene in The Americanization of Emily, which is pretty passionate. For some reason, our director decided to get everything on the bed, a lot of rolling and kissing, and I mean really
having at it, and all the time I'm doing it I'm thinking, 'I can be professional, this is what people do, they do love scenes all the time, it's not going to affect me,' and at the end of the afternoon, after a lot of takes, I got up off the bed and my knees buckled. So I guess it got
through to me more than I'd like to admit.

Q: He was a pretty dashing guy

JA: He was devastating, and such a great guy. He's a great friend.

Q: With the 40th anniversary of Mary Poppins, how did it feel to watch the film now.

JA: It's kind of wonderful. First of all, the DVD has a second DVD package with it. It's a double DVD, and they had found photographs and outtakes
and rehearsal footage that I had never seen, so to look at it all it was like, 'Oh God, I remember that.' The energy we both had, Dick and I, you
say, 'That was the very first take I ever did,' and so on, all sorts of things like that. It's a very, very good 40th Edition, it really has a lot going for it.

Q: You did commentary on it

JA: Yes, not only commentary with Dick, obviously reminiscences and commentary and all this out stuff, plus a new animated piece that I
actually am in. We actually shot it for the DVD, so it's good value.

Q: Clarisse has her poodle that she's very close to, do you have pets?

JA: That dog, if I could have taken him home. Sadly, I cannot remember his real name, it was Caesar or some wonderful - Maurice was the name in the movie but his real name I can't remember, but talk about a pal, talk about a pro, he was one of the great dogs. He did things, on the day that the
Queen is sitting on the throne, it's not in the movie, and I kept saying to Garry, 'You must use it,' there's a scene where I was very sad and I
had my hand on the throne and all of a sudden I feel his nose (indicates nudging her hand) like, are you okay? Sweet guy.

Q: Garry said you had a real sense of this place Genovia

JA: Because he asked. He said, 'You're European, what would she have? What would it be like in Europe?' I kept thinking, what do they do in Monaco? What do they do in Liechtenstein? So I tried to say, well what do they do? Pears and goat cheese became the two eatables that we're famous for, lace making because the nuns in the cloisters would be doing that kind of thing, so we came up with all these wonderful ideas.

Q: He said you were the only one who could pronounce Genovia right

JA: Actually I can spot that a lot of people don't, but I kept saying, 'They must say Genovia, they mustn't say Ganovia or Janovia.

Q: Were you surprised that it was on the coast?

JA: No, Monaco's over there on the right and Genovia's over there on the left. It's between France and Spain.

François de Paris

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2004, 01:58:23 PM »

Part Two:

Q: Do you have pets?

JA: Yes, I do. They're Scotties and actually my beloved Scottie just passed away, but we also have a little West Highland whose name is Sugar.

Q: Do you take them with you?

JA: They are so happy in the garden, honestly they have a great garden in Long Island. I do bring them back and forth, but I've had Scotties a great
deal, we've always had Scotties, but had everything from Labs to - we have to great cats here, Abyssinians and they are the best guys. One is an
Abyssinian and one is a Abyssinian/Bengal mix.

Q: Are the dogs small enough where you can put them under the seat in a plane?

JA: No, sadly, which is why I don't travel - I think Sugar might be, but I don't think so. And you know what, I don't like to put them in the hold,
so unless it's a really important journey and we're going for a long time.

Q: What do you hope young girls will take away from this movie?

JA: You know what, it's great that it's a family movie that adults can enjoy as much as the kids really. I think that there are some nice hidden
messages, they don't hammer them at you, because you're meant to have a pleasant, pleasant feeling when you see the movie. But it does deal with
responsibilities being assumed as you grow older, decency, courtesy and politeness and manners mattering. There was a lot of that, we shot a lot
of things like manners matter, and I think they're wonderful things to imply in a movie like this, because a lot of teen movies go to the other
place, they go to the lowest common denominator, kind of like the child can identify and vent. But this one really makes you aspire a little more
I think.

Q: Did you have any doubts yourself about the idea of her not accepting her responsibility as it was written into Genovian law?

JA: I think this grandma was probably very torn and quite guilty, I know I played and asked for that to be put into the movie because today I think -
I didn't want it to look like I encouraged her to do an arranged marriage, and in fact it's actually her choice, this is my best me (?), it's what I
was born to do, and then I go along with it, but by the end of the movie, as you see, I say no, it's wrong, just in the nick of time.

Q: The last time we saw you, you had just had a grandson - how's he doing

JA: Had he just been born? He's doing great. We have little Hope, who is Emma's little girl, who is now going to be a year old, and Hank's about
five months. He was there last night. He's adorable.

Q: If there's a sequel are you going to be able to put any of your family in like Garry?

JA: In this one, my granddaughter is in it, my lovely Hannah, who's now 11 but was 10. She's the little hip-hop girl, the little blonde, and her name
is Hannah. Wasn't she wonderful? They said, 'We're looking for a little girl that can dance,' and I said, 'Excuse me,' and that's exactly how it
happened.

François de Paris

« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2004, 02:00:15 PM »

Poppins' flies on anniversary DVD
"Mary Poppins" is coming back to DVD in a two-disc 40th-anniversary edition from Buena Vista Home Entertainment. Among the hours of bonus footage on the Dec. 14 release is the first reunion of Dick Van Dyke, Julie Andrews (news) and co-composer Richard Sherman.

Andrews, Van Dyke, Sherman and others also provide audio commentary during the movie, which has been completely restored for the DVD ($29.99) and is presented in the original 1.66:1 aspect ratio with remixed and enhanced sound for home theater setups.
Toon short

Also included is a new animated short based on an original P.L. Travers story about the flying nanny, featuring the voices of Sara Ferguson, Tracy Ullman and David Ogden Stiers and hosted by Andrews.

Other extras include a new rendition of the never-before-heard deleted song "Chimpanzoo"; a 50-minute behind-the-scenes program with never-before-released footage and new interviews; and a set-top game.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2004, 02:03:12 PM »

Happy anniversary Ben and Anthony!

I like chocolate graham crackers with peanut butter. And I like fishie crackers. And animal crackers (even though they're really more like cookies. I won't tell if you won't tell).

I ate a sandwich last night. I'm sure you all wanted to know that.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2004, 02:05:36 PM »

Beautiful picture indeed Jane. Thank you.

Best wishes to Ben and Anthony too.

Special positive and healing vibes for DR Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2004, 02:13:43 PM »

But...weren't Catherine Deneuve and Ava Gardner  absolutely luminously beautiful in this film!!!!
Totally out of place in this film - miscast IMHO. Looking good was not enough. Catherine Deneueve looked quite uncomfortabe and the the love affair was not believable. There was no passion. I kept asking myself what Ava Gardner was doing in the film.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2004, 02:16:15 PM »

[sigh] MARY POPPINS is one of those movies that I have bought and bought and bought, but I suspect I'll be the first in line for this new edition since there will be footage I don't have on any previous tape, laserdisc, or DVD release.

It truly is one of the magical films of my childhood. I saw it for the first time in New York and many times since then in theaters and on home video. Never seem to tire of it. That score is just amazing.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2004, 02:18:50 PM »

When my brother got home last night, he started up again with that drum of his. Boom. Boom. Boom. I don't know how long this went on, but it was too long. It almost drove me crackers.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2004, 02:27:43 PM »

More on "Mayerling". Interesting that it was made within a year of the (IMHO)  exquisite "Elvira Madigan" where the score really worked.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up