Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOME STRETCH  (Read 16746 times)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
Re:THE HOME STRETCH
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2004, 12:00:45 PM »

Do we know what the other extras on the BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES II DVD will be in addition to the number from COCO? Was that the only one they mentioned.

On the program they showed previews of these extras.

Bill Hutton in Joseph

Kathi Moss in Nine

Tom Bosley in Fiorello

Katharine Hepburn in Coco

Robert Lindsay in Me and My Girl
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2004, 12:18:15 PM »

Dr Jane, in case you don't already know about this website.... www.oregonpetsitters.com

Results of my search:

"Nothing found to match your query"

With Echo's problems we are very fussy about who stays here, so it isn't just finding a sitter but finding one we are willing to leave our pets and house with.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2004, 12:20:26 PM »

GOOD VIBES TO BRUCE, THE SHOW AND OUR OWN DR JOSE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2004, 12:24:44 PM »

Done with this morning's errands and will be heading off to the theater shortly.  Thanks for the vibes and xylophones and you know you'll get a full report.  

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2004, 12:36:36 PM »

Very sad news to report, actress Fay Wray passed away last night in New York at age 96.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2004, 12:41:39 PM »

:(  But wow, 96!   :)

Jane

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2004, 12:43:39 PM »

Jennifer if it’s easier for someone to send me, in country, copies of TIGER CRUISE, I don’t mind sending them on to Canada and Australia. :)

Jane

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2004, 12:44:57 PM »

I have not heard from elmore yet so…

CONTINUED GOOD HEALING VIBES!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »

:(  But wow, 96!   :)

Yep, she lived to a ripe old age and still lived independently in her own apartment.

I remember seeing her on the Oscar telecast a few years back..it was wonderful. Having starred in King Kong she is such a big part of motion picture history, but fortunately her stories have been recorded both in her autobiography and in a wonderful interview that Rick McCay did for Scarlet Street a few years back.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2004, 12:47:45 PM »

I have not heard from elmore yet so…

CONTINUED GOOD HEALING VIBES!!!

Yes, he promised to call me after his appointment today! Hoping all is well!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2004, 12:52:11 PM »

Film composer David Raksin, best known for the classic film score (and theme) to "Laura," died of heart failure last night.

He was 92.  Other well-known fims with superb scores by Raksin were "Forever Amber," "The Bad and the Beautiful," "Carrie" (Jennifer Jones movie) and "Separate Tables."

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/news_events.html

For those who believe that deaths come in threes (relative to occupation among celebrities), we lost film music legend Jerry Goldsmith a few weeks ago, followed closely by Italian composer Piero Piccioni and now Raksin.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 12:58:48 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2004, 01:04:25 PM »

RLP thanks for the link.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2004, 01:06:51 PM »

Oh there were lots more.  And they play them over and over again during the breaks.

If you named something, I could probably tell you.

I know one was some blond guy as Joseph.

That would be Bill Hutton, Broadway's first Joseph. I guess I can wait until Wednesday. Thanks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2004, 01:08:16 PM »

Matt H, I also enjoyed THE CONTENDER very much.  

DIT if BORN YESTERDAY is a political movie then I consider one of my favorites, the original that is.

George the same goes for THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!

BECKETT, A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, both great movies

I’m trying to come up with some movies which haven’t been mentioned yet.  One movie I found sweet and very enjoyable, is DAVE.

I recall SEVEN DAYS IN MAY was a good movie.  It has just been too long since I have seen many of these movies.

HERE is a link to an interesting list of best political movies.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2004, 01:09:31 PM »

In honor of Fay Wray - the lady had great dignity - I'll post a story that I may have told here once before.

Years ago, during my first time living in LA, I was invited to an Oscar party at the Canadian Consulate. There was a new consul who was not  the greatest as far as his knowledge of show business. So there was to be a presentation of some sort and we were alll asked to sit in chairs put out on the back lawn. I happened to sit beside Miss Wray and we had a long, lovely conversation about all sorts of things.
Then the ceremony began and the consul started out by introducing dignitaries in the audience. He pointed out a few people who stood and took bows. Miss Wray was not among them. Then he said something like, "And I've saved the best for last. A great and legendary lady who has brought honor  to Canada in her many years of...blah blah blah..." I could see Miss Wray straightening out her skirt and getting ready to stand, rising ever so slightly. And then the Consul said..."Miss Adrienne Clarkson!" (the Barbara Walters of Canada, who went on to become the Governor-General).
Miss Wray quietly readjusted her skirt, lowered herself back down, smiled and applauded. And she was never introduced! Aaargggh.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2004, 01:10:29 PM »

Oh, thanks, Joey, for the info. I have all of those except COCO and FIORELLO on homemade tapes of the shows.

I guess the rights to the DREAMGIRLS excerpt are just too expensive since it would certainly be a more tantalizing morsel to dangle before us than NINE or JOSEPH.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2004, 01:13:47 PM »

I watched SEVEN DAYS IN MAY not too long ago, and it's as wonderful as I remembered it being. The DVD transfer also looked very good.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2004, 01:15:27 PM »

Lovely story DRPANNI...oh my....at least Fay didn't get all the way up as did Rosalind Russell just before they announded the Oscar for Loretta Young.

Bill Hutton - I think he went to Indiana University with some friends of mine, and the except seemed to be the original finale, which seems rather sedate compared to the Mega-Mix that now repeats the entire show in 6 1/2 minutes.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2004, 01:15:50 PM »

Sorry to read about David Raksin. I just think "Laura" is one of the lushest, most romantic movie tunes ever composed.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2004, 01:35:36 PM »

In addition to "King Kong", I remember Fay Wray (full name Vina Fay Wray) from her mid-50s sitcom "Pride of the Family".  Her husband was played by Paul Hartman and her daughter was (believe ot or not) Natalie Wood!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2004, 01:43:59 PM »

I don't know from political movies.

There is a slobbery brown furry lump on my lap purring and meowing at me.

I was treated to an hour-long drum solo last night from 12:30 to 1:30 a.m.

Vibes for What If? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And get-better vibes for DR Elmore! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2004, 01:50:46 PM »

Fay Wray also played John Saxon's mother in both ROCK PRETTY BABY and SUMMER LOVE.

And David Raksin wrote the score for the original version of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE!!  

I have surmised the plot and outcome of the current Manchurian Candidate for the "now" generation...it's sort of the Pepsi of Manchurian Candidate movies, I guess.  I was a bit put off when Mrs. Iselin was given a name - Eleanor....and in fact was Eleanor Shaw, which told me that Johnny Iselin was probably nowhere to be found.  Then I discovered that her son Raymond was the man who was to be the VP candidate...but then....then....how....why....  Well I stumbled on the answer and it did not set well with me, so I will not be seeing it...maybe on DVD...maybe.

I think I would rather pass the time by playing a little solitaire....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2004, 01:52:22 PM »

My summer job, in-between I forget which college years, was Production Assistant (better known as gofer) on a television movie.  Among my responsibilities was delivering scripts to actors.  Sometimes, these were names unknown to me; sometimes, the script was being delivered to an actor who'd not yet agreed to take a role; sometimes, the "actors" were actually old-time Hollywood screenwriters.  Once, the delivery went to an apartment, I believe, in Century City.  A little old lady opened the door and she was, for a little old lady, ravishing.  She had a great smile and twinkles in both eyes.  And such charm!  Such a pleasure to meet me, she said.  I got the impression it had been quite a while since somebody had delivered her a script.

I may or may not have known at the time that this little old lady was the writer/producer's mother-in-law, and the address had the lady's current married name, which was not the name of the producer's wife.

Nor was it Wray.  I later found out this was indeed Fay Wray, and she charmed us all her one day on the set.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2004, 01:54:20 PM »

I have a similar story during Craig’s graduation ceremony from Middle School, only I was the one standing at the wrong moment.  Awards were given for both drama and the speech team.  For both Craig always knew his lines and was always prepared and dedicated.  It was with the drama class where he really set an example for the other students, plus he had the lead in BYE BYE BIRDIE.  

The day before a big speech competition Craig was asked to fill in for another student and had only the evening to learn the lines, which he did.  As a result he was given the award for speech.  The award he coveted, expected and deserved was the drama award.  There was only one drama award left to give.  The teacher described Craig perfectly and this proud mother stood up, only to hear a less deserving student’s named announced.

Later the teacher explained, without my asking, she was trying to share the awards and not give two to one student.  She just didn’t realize she gave him the wrong award.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2004, 01:55:55 PM »

Thank you for the story about Fay Wray, Panni! So what kinds of thinks did you talk to her about?

I would have loved to have met her. I very much enjoyed her autobiography.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2004, 02:11:15 PM »

Oops!  You were half there, JRand53: I'm sure you know it was David Amram who composed "The Manchurian Candidate" (original).

Similar first names, though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 03:35:47 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2004, 02:18:42 PM »

Thank you for the story about Fay Wray, Panni! So what kinds of thinks did you talk to her about?

I would have loved to have met her. I very much enjoyed her autobiography.

One more book to add to my “to read list” :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2004, 02:35:22 PM »

I read yesterday that the reason Kristen didn't stay with WICKED longer is that she and Idena hated each other and did not get along together at all.  Has anyone else heard these rumors?  Is there any truth to them?
These days, when ISN"T a show hit with rumors like this?  "Hated" is the key word: if two professional performers aren't obviously and constantly demonstrating their love for each other, the rumors start that they "hate" each other.

What I heard, and give credence to, is that Chenoweth has had other obligations booked for some time.

And, given the long-term objections I keep hearing about stars of shows who aren't there "for every performance," I'd think this reason for bowing out to be quite legit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2004, 02:41:54 PM »

No solitaire in the new Manchurian Candidate
What, no one plays games on computers any more?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2004, 02:43:07 PM »

A missed opportunity--they could have used the solitaire computer game.  Or maybe something else:

"Raymond, I think you should play a game of Bookworm..."
Similar minds!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up