Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SATURDAY REPORT  (Read 15797 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE SATURDAY REPORT
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2004, 10:32:05 PM »

Both Jose and I forgot to mention that I changed his curtain call last night and he now leaves the piano and bows with the company's final bow.

Thank You, BK!

Happy news and we must have a photo of this! :)

Thank You, Jane!

A much deserved bow, may I add! He does a great job.

Köszönöm szépen, Panni!

I guess I was being modest earlier by not acknowledging my new bow.  -Which I do like very much.  Thanks again, BK.

I also like the chance it gives me to applaud the cast too!

Of course, today - after such a weird show - when it came time for my bow, I started to think, "Hmmm... Do I bow at the piano and then come up to the cast? or Do I go up to the cast, and bow from there? or Do I bow here and there? or..."  I think I eventually made some sort of bow, but it was one of those times when just a few seconds seemed like more than just a few seconds.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2004, 10:38:19 PM »

Well, I think I'm going to settle back in front of the TV for a bit - catch some more of the Olympics, and then the news.  Oh, and maybe some ice cream!  I picked up a package of some Green Tea mochi ice cream bon-bons at Trader Joe's yesterday.  Nice little "bites" of green tea ice cream enclosed in a rice flour "wrapper" - trust me, it tastes a lot better than how I'm describing it.  And it's one of the few ice cream treats where I'm truly just satisfied eating one... well, maybe two.  -Hey, a complete "serving" is three according to the package!  So there!!

Be back before heading to bed...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2004, 10:40:10 PM »

I found out what a dickens is:
dickens - (what the dickens, in dickens' name, hurts like the dickens, etc) - Dickens is another word for devil, and came to be used as an oath in the same way as God, Hell, Holy Mary, etc. Brewer (dictionary of phrase and fable 1870) explains that the 'dickens' oath, is a perversion (variation) of, and derived from 'Nick' and 'Old Nick'. The dickens expression appeared first probably during the 1600's. The etymology of 'nick' can be traced back a lot further - 'nicor' was Anglo-Saxon for monster. The devil-association is derived from ancient Scandinavian folklore: a Nick was mythological water-wraith or kelpie, found in the sea, rivers, lakes, even waterfalls - half-child or man, half-horse - that took delight when travellers drowned. Beginning several hundred years ago both protestant and catholic clergy commonly referred to these creatures, presumably because the image offered another scary device to persuade simple people to be ever god-fearing (".....or Old Nick will surely get you when you next go to the river...") which no doubt reinforced the Nick imagery and its devil association. So too did the notoriety of Italian statesman and theorist, Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527) - (who also gave rise to the expression 'machiavellian', meaning deviously wicked). 'Nick' Machiavelli became an image of devilment in the Elizabethan theatre because his ideas were thought to be so heinous. Shakespeare has Mistress Page using the 'what the dickens' expression in the Merry Wives of Windsor, c.1600, so the expression certainly didn't originate as a reference to Charles Dickens as many believe, who wasn't born until 1812. Charles Dickens' fame however (he was extremely famous in England while alive and writing as well as ever since) would certainly have further reinforced the popularity of the 'dickens' expression.

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2004, 10:42:33 PM »

td is channelling BK. Maybe td will write the new notes too. Of course if he were to be channeling Little Jimmy Dickens than a bird of paradise would fly up his nose.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2004, 10:47:44 PM »

At long last frenzy.

td

• td
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2004, 10:50:14 PM »

At long last frenzy.

Is that starring Burt Reynolds and Vivien Merchant?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2004, 10:50:59 PM »

Tippi Hedren - The Birds
Kate Winslet - Titanic
Ben Affleck - Gigli

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2004, 10:51:17 PM »

Directed by Hitchcock and Bogdanovich no doubt.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2004, 10:51:22 PM »

td is channelling BK. Maybe td will write the new notes too. Of course if he were to be channeling Little Jimmy Dickens than a bird of paradise would fly up his nose.

When you're living in Pennsylvania BUT spending most of your time on Australian time, these things are bound to happen sooner or later.

td

• td
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2004, 10:52:01 PM »

At long last frenzy.

If it's for two or more, it would be written by Ionesco.

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2004, 10:53:21 PM »

We all should have left it I think!
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2004, 11:40:03 PM »

Never got to bed. Interrupted by stuff to do, things to take care of. Now I'm wide awake and the only one here.

Jose - You speak good Hungarian.
BTW - the TV remake of The Lion in Winter was shot in Hungary.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2004, 11:51:37 PM »

Of course, today - after such a weird show - when it came time for my bow, I started to think, "Hmmm... Do I bow at the piano and then come up to the cast? or Do I go up to the cast, and bow from there? or Do I bow here and there? or..."  I think I eventually made some sort of bow, but it was one of those times when just a few seconds seemed like more than just a few seconds.

When in doubt, curtsey.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2004, 11:56:28 PM »

Turandot was OK.  Not bad, but I wasn't transported, either.  

Between John Mauceri's conducting and the amplification system at the Bowl, this was a rather soft-edged Turandot and I like my Turandot with hard edges.

Andrea Gruber was the Turandot and Richard Margison the Calaf.  Just as when she appeared in the role at the L.A. Opera two years ago, Hei-Kyung Hong was the vocal standout as Liu.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up