Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MATCHING DICKIE  (Read 17131 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE MATCHING DICKIE
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2004, 06:32:54 PM »

Beware:  Your credit card company calls to inquire if you made a charge, which you have not.  In order to verify you are in possession of your card the caller says to please read off the last three numbers that appear on the back.  The caller gives you a control number and encourages you to call with any questions.  That is basically it.  And it is a scam.  A con artist who already has your card number can use the information to charge online and by phone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2004, 07:01:11 PM »

I HATE scams.  I'm on my way to do a live radio show - not sure exactly when I'll be back, so keep the home fries burning and the notes may go up a bit late if I'm late in returning, which hopefully won't be the case.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2004, 07:10:01 PM »

GOOD VIBES FOR A GREAT RADIO SHOW! :)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2004, 07:20:13 PM »

Did anyone read the story about the 3 year old boy who choked to death on popcorn at an R-Rasted movie with his parents?  What the hell were his parents thinking taking him to an R-Rated movie in the first place, and were they so engrossed in the screen that they didn't realize their son was choking before it was too late?  I'm sure this will be considered an accident, but in my mind the parents are totally at fault for putting their pleasure ahead of their child's welfare.

This incident occured at the theatre by my house that I've referred to as the "Murderplex" for years.  It has now truly earned its title.  :-\

As for today's TOD, I haven't been a big radio person since my early childhood, when my father used to play tapes of "Mrs. Bush's Storytime" (a show he produced for ABC radio where the former first lady read children's stories) at bedtime every night.  For some reason, her rendition of Jack and the Beanstalk really terrified me, and it's something I'll never forget.  We almost always have ABC Radio playing somewhere in the house.  My sister and I like to go to sleep listening to WQXR (the New York Times classical station), so for the past five or six years we've been listening to that.  
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2004, 07:28:35 PM »

Shenanigans!  Does anyone remember that game show for kids that used to be on Saturday mornings?

Shenanigans!
Come on along and play Shenanigans!
My name is Stubby Kaye
And I would like
To meet you--
Howdy-doo!
Welcome to
Shenanigans!

My sister and I watched this every week.  We had the Milton Bradley board game, too, but it wasn't as fun as the show.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2004, 07:38:33 PM »

S[ent part of the evening watching THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938. I was quickly made aware that I had never seen this movie in its entirety. Actually, it's not a very good movie despite having a marvelous cast. But most of them work in their own plots and stay out of the plots of the others stars. W. C. Fields has a couple of classic routines on the golf course and at the pool table. Bob Hope and Shirley Ross sing "Thanks for the Memory" seemingly live rather than on a prerecording. Martha Raye has a screamingly funny acrobatic routine to her song "Mama." Dorothy Lamour gets to sing the best song in the score which I liked even more than Ross and Hope's Oscar-winning song, a lovely balled called "You Took the Words Right Out of My Heart."

The transfer looked OK with the climactic waltz number dazzlingly sharp and clear but other scenes grainy and with so much rear projection, obviously soft. The two model ships racing around the Paramount tank were made obvious by the DVD's clarity and sharpness in those scenes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2004, 07:50:11 PM »

The cable radio show is live at nine.  Don't know if it's just LA or further, but it's called the Cable Radio Network and the host is Gregg Hunter.  Maybe someone can figure out where to find it and post.  We start at nine.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2004, 07:57:38 PM »

As for today's TOD, I haven't been a big radio person since my early childhood, when my father used to play tapes of "Mrs. Bush's Storytime" (a show he produced for ABC radio where the former first lady read children's stories) at bedtime every night.  For some reason, her rendition of Jack and the Beanstalk really terrified me, and it's something I'll never forget.  We almost always have ABC Radio playing somewhere in the house.  My sister and I like to go to sleep listening to WQXR (the New York Times classical station), so for the past five or six years we've been listening to that.  

Years ago, when Philly actually had a fulltime classical music station (I seem to keep harping on that subject today), they had a program that began after midnight called Sleepers Awake that tended to play subdued fare and was a wonderful accompaniment to Beddy-Bye Land.  However, they occasionally had a laspe in judgement and would play something like the Ride of the Valkyries or Stravinsky's Firebird or the overture to Candide at three o'clock in the morning.  But this was a minor issue and it was a problem that went away when I got a stereo that had a timed shut-off mode.  The problem went away permanently when the classical station ceased to exist.  (grumble...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2004, 08:07:29 PM »

The cable radio show is live at nine.  Don't know if it's just LA or further, but it's called the Cable Radio Network and the host is Gregg Hunter.  Maybe someone can figure out where to find it and post.  We start at nine.

Here is the link for the internet radio page.  Click on CRN1 on the right hand side.  It sounds like they are in the last hour of the preceding show.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2004, 08:24:36 PM »

Dan TM - I downloaded it but can't get it to play. How did you do that?

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2004, 08:31:28 PM »

It works for me here in Oz Panni!
And I understand NOTHING about these typewriter gadgets with the TV screens attached.

I think there are another 30 minutes to go before the start.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2004, 08:36:37 PM »

Dan TM - I downloaded it but can't get it to play. How did you do that?

I just clicked on the box on the right that says CRN 1 Linda Salvin's "Visions & Solutions" and another little web page pops up and the radio program begins to pley.  But it's only working intermittently for me--it keeps breaking up and buffering.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2004, 08:39:15 PM »

Linda Salvin is kind of fascinating.  She's a cross between Dear Abby and Jean Dixon.  Evidently, she's known as the psychic's psychic!
-- Anaïs Nin

Emily

« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2004, 08:39:45 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY S. WOODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or "swoody" which is how I read your name in my head :))

WELCOME NEW DR BECKON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panni the CBC shows wayyyyy more Olympics coverage than I thought was humanly possible.  SRC is also going over and above.  BTW, I used to love Peter Gzowski's radio and tv interview programs.  Lots of fun... and informative to boot!  

Sandra speaking of fencing, guess what the CBC was showing this morning LIVE from Athens, while I was having my "coffee with the olympics"? You got it... I didn't get to see who won, but whatever they were doing it looked complicately good :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2004, 08:51:21 PM »

I just clicked on the box on the right that says CRN 1 Linda Salvin's "Visions & Solutions" and another little web page pops up and the radio program begins to pley.  But it's only working intermittently for me--it keeps breaking up and buffering.

Did that and it doesn't work. Skammen! And Adelphia doesn't carry CRN - even though on the CRN "how to listen" info it says that most digital and Cable networks do. Double Skammen!
Good to know it's coming in clearly in Australia!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2004, 08:59:19 PM »

We (der Brucer and I) have returned from a very enjoyable dinner.  We are now so stuffed with good food and good drinkage that we are both heading to bed.

Thanks again for all the good wishes!

Good wuss, and a burger to all!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2004, 09:03:27 PM »

BK gets to share the stage with a New Yorker with the author of a new book on Elvis Presley. A HEAVY book. Is that good?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2004, 09:08:36 PM »

BK gets to share the stage with a New Yorker with the author of a new book on Elvis Presley. A HEAVY book. Is that good?

Is that really Elvis singing "I'm So Lonesome I Could Die"?  Doesn't sound like him at all.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2004, 09:17:30 PM »

Maybe tomorrow's topic will be Presley's movies.  For those that can't hear, BK's favourites were "Viva Las Vegas" and "Change Of Habit".
Always worries me when interviewers want to tell their own anecdotes.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2004, 09:21:22 PM »

The Presley version of Hank Williams' "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" was from the "Aloha From Hawaii" album, 1973.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2004, 09:24:13 PM »

Staying tuned now for "Joshua Noveck".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2004, 09:50:41 PM »

I tried again -- no luck. It's funny that I can't get it here in LA, but it's coming in in Australia. Oh well....

Tomovoz

« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2004, 09:55:15 PM »

Quite an enjoyable hour. The closest I'll get to "What If".  BK even mentioned that other label - I wonder if it still in business.

Of course the talented DR Jose received more than an honourable mention.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2004, 09:57:52 PM »

Thanks for the report, DR Tom.

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2004, 10:00:32 PM »

Thank you to DR Dan-the-Man for the link.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2004, 11:27:45 PM »

Glad someone could hear it.  I must write the notes now, but we all had fun on the show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2004, 11:34:49 PM »

Good Evening!

Sorry for not posting until now, but my day started off with a call from the music store asking if I could come in today, so...

:)

After getting some mail ready to be sent out, I made my way to the music store via the Metro, and started working.  Basically, I was just taking inventory of the music that got damaged in the water leak from yesterday morning.  They set me up at a desk in one of the offices, and I just started pulling the titles out of the bins, writing down the quantity, catalog number, title and price.  Very easy work, and work that I actually like to do.  Sometimes there's a comfort in doing something that doesn't have a variable, if you know what I mean.  I also just love looking at music - and since I then had to check the other titles on the shelves individually...

Thankfully, there wasn't as much damage as they originally thought.  I put in a good four hours today, and I have about another six to eight hours to go before the "project" is finished.  *And, of course, the thought did cross my mind, "Hmmm.. The faster I work, the less hours I'll be working, and the less money I'll make.. Hmmm.."  However, I did sense that since they are about to get hit with the beginning of the school year rush, that I'll most likely get called in even after this project is done.  We shall see.

But, all in all, it was nice being back in the sheet music biz again today.  -And I have to say that Old Town Music is very well-stocked.  I hope to get in some more browsing over the next few days and week myself.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2004, 11:39:08 PM »

Happy Birthday, SWW!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2004, 11:43:15 PM »

Well... I thought I had something else to post...

Well... Maybe...

Just kind of tired right now... I guess it has been a long day for me.

The Olympic coverage has been good tonight.  -And my mind just wonders how all the TV coverage on all the various NBC networks gets coordinated among all the time zones.  I mean, I know it's on tape delay on the East Coast, but here on the West Coast...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2004, 11:52:10 PM »

OH!  I meant to ask about this a few weeks ago...

When BK and I were browsing through the DVDs at Amoeba, I came across a DVD - well, actually two different versions of it - for another film of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses".  It starred Catherine Deneuve, Rupert Everett, Nastassja Kinski and Leelee Sobieski, and, it, apparently, came out last year/early this year.  And it was updated to the 60's - nice fashion shots on the box.

Anyone else heard about/come across this?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 11:53:39 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up