Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MATCHING DICKIE  (Read 17443 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MATCHING DICKIE
« on: August 17, 2004, 12:00:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've put on your matching dickies, you know the topic, and so now it is time for you to make posts galore on this galorious Tuesday.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 12:02:51 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE MATCHING DICKIE
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 12:09:41 AM »

I can't really identfy with USA radio. I did enjoy the dramatisations of "Superman", "Biggles" etc . My favourite as a youngster was a reading of "The Enid Blyton Book Of Brownies". Our radio programmes were usually local content of if not, BBC.
"The Goons" of course.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 12:13:45 AM »

Du-Par's?  Hey, I haven't been to Du-Par's yet!  ;)

Hmm.. Radio...  I was a Casey Kasem America's Top 40 junkie!  And being the young and foolish ten-year old that I was, I thought that the whole Top 40 countdown was recorded as one long tape... So, that when the radio station in Ledyard, Connecticut, announced that they would be giving away the whole Top 40 for that week, I thought they were giving away the whole show - announcements and all.  -Well, a brief call to the radio station, cleared up that confusion - and, most likely, gave the local DJs a giggle too.

I also loved the call-in contests.  I remember winning a bunch of tickets and other prizes from WNLC (New London, CT) - I won a lot of tickets to one of those travelling fairs/carnivals - so many that I was able to treat my family one time!  They had various contests - be the right number caller, call in with the answer to the trivia question, call in with the punchline to the joke, etc.  I won so many times, that I was eventually put on "restriction" - I was not allowed to participate in a call-in contest for a period of six months!!!  -And I think I might have even been responsible for them starting the "no more than one win withing a 30-day period" rule too.  ;)

-Of course, I never won any of the major call-in contests - big money prizes, major concert tickets, etc.  But I did win a pair of tickets for my parents to see The Fantastiks!  Oh, and I think I did win a pair of tickets to see The Village People - but I don't think I asked my parents to drive me to the radio station to pick those up.  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 12:16:07 AM »

OK... Time for me to rest up...

-And I'm sorry I missed the chat last night too.  I was still at the movie, and then I went to Target to stock up on some essentials.  And after going through my mail, I watched the Olympics coverage - men's gymnastics. :D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 12:16:44 AM »

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 12:19:40 AM »

Growing up, I didn't listen to anything specific...like shows or radio personalities, but when I was in middle school or high school, late on Sunday nights there was a science fiction radio program.  I only listened to it for a few weeks before it disappeared, but it was pretty fun!  I would turn on my radio (this was at 10:00 or 11:00 p.m. Sunday night, so I had the volume very low) and listen for the hour that the show was on.  I don't remember what any of the stories were about, but I just remember liking it a lot.  I've never heard any other kind of radio drama actually broadcast on the radio (a Donna Summer reference) since then.

As for recorded radio dramas that I own, I have the three (vinyl) album set of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" radio program, J. Edgar!:  The Musical from L.A. Theater Works and "Too Dead To Swing" narrated by Susan Egan (featured on Donald's radio show last week!) with three songs performed by Ann Hampton Callaway (who also played one of the characters!  (I put those three songs on a mini-CD for myself.)  AND I just remembered that Simon Jones (Arthur Dent in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" TV show was another of the voices in "Too Dead To Swing!")
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:21:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

beckon

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 12:19:59 AM »

Hello!  My name is Joseph and I live in the Los Angeles area.   I am a fan of Bruce Kimmel's/Guy Haines' work.  I just saw 'What If' last week and enjoyed it very much.  I must admit I have been reading this site for some time.  I guess you could call me a 'lurker', but I think the term 'shy observer' fits me better.  I think this site is one of the more intelligent ones on the net and I really appreciate it.  I don't know how frequently I'll post, but I hope to check in at least once a day.  Look forward to 'talking' to you all.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

George

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 12:23:39 AM »

Welcome, Joseph!   ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 12:26:03 AM »

A big haineshisway.com welcome to Joseph.  Glad you saw and liked the show!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 12:27:04 AM »

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards) - we've got us a birthday to celebrate (I NEED to check our calendar daily).  I'm amending the notes right now.

George

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 12:29:12 AM »

And did anyone notice that today's Topic is the 300th Topic of the board??

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY 300TH TOPIC, BK!![/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 12:31:48 AM »

Notes amended.

Welcome seven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about radio.

George

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 12:32:18 AM »

[move=RIGHt,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR WOODY!![/move]

George

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 12:34:03 AM »

And good night, all!!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 12:34:35 AM »

Welcome, beckon aka Joseph!

I spent my growing up years from age 8 on in Canada and listened to CBC Radio - the best! Terrific radio drama, comedy, interviews, music. Artists like Glen Gould had shows.
I was lucky enough to know the great Andrew Allan, the father of Canadian radio drama, with whom I played strip poker in my drama student days (quite innocent strip poker) and Esse Ljungh, another of the greats of radio drama, who taught us radio drama technique in theater school. (And from whom I also learned to put salt in beer.)
Later on I listened to and loved the Peter Gzowski Show - the best radio interview show EVER (and I was a guest several times and can attest to the fact that Peter was a fabulous interviewer who was truly interested in what you had to say). CBC radio, when I lived in Canada, was a national treasure. I don't know what it's like now and would be intersted in hearing from some of the Canadian DRs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:37:34 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 12:36:56 AM »

The other thing I loved doing as a kid (those who've read the Kritzer books know this) was fiddling with the huge Grundig radio in my father's restaurant - and picking up stations in the UK, Japan and elsewhere.  I thought that was the berries, frankly, and I was mesmerized by those accents and foreign languages.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 12:38:56 AM »

Radio, from my youth, included a weekly programme (yes, in this case that is the correct spelling) of British humor.  I cannot remember the exact title, but it was a favorite of my father's.  I learned diction from the weekly show.

I also fondly remember Gary Adams and his daily shenanigans, including the Adams Poll (only people named Adams were allowed to answer).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 12:40:35 AM »

The birthday boy is wide awake!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 12:41:17 AM »

I also loved a local DJ, a total hilarious wacko named Dick Whittington.

Panni

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 12:45:50 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWW!!

HERE'S A BIRTHDAY DANCE FOR YOU....

Panni

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2004, 12:48:46 AM »

In my pre-Canada youth, we listened a lot (secretly) to Radio Free Europe, which in those days was one of the only links to the West. No hilarious wackos on RFE, unfortunately.

Panni

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2004, 12:51:04 AM »

Esse Ljungh taught us how to drop script pages silently as we read in front of the mic. There's actually a method.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2004, 12:55:42 AM »

The birthday boy is wide awake!
Oh, gorsch!  (blushes)

I've been re-working our DVD index.  The original format for the database was flawed, discs that had more than one title on them were all listed under one title, and I've simply gotten frustrated with the system.  (I'm also including a listing for the film's genre, and one for sub-genre (as in who made the film, that sort of thing; it's one thing to list "Comedy" and another to list "Marx Brothers" or "Abbott and Costello")

So far, I've re-listed about a fifth of the collection.

And that's why I've been up so late tonight.

And thanks to all for the wishes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2004, 12:57:53 AM »

Time for some shut-eye.  I think der B. wants to take advantage of my having the day off tomorrow...uh, today.  (And I just bought him a new broom he's been asking for!)

Danise

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2004, 03:47:21 AM »

Hi Gang!

Just wanted to pop in and say Good Morning!  Happy Birthday to DR Woody!

I'm going to type a post on my PDA on the bus ride in.  I've got lots to say/tell you about so stay tuned--------

Have a wonderful day all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2004, 04:08:02 AM »

Welcome Joseph, we're a friendly bunch and we don't bite!

Ben

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2004, 04:08:32 AM »

Happy Birthday to S. Woody! Another year, this one in Delaware. Happy Day to you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2004, 04:09:00 AM »

Happy Birthday SWW!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2004, 04:14:42 AM »

In lieu of your Allison Hayes picture of the week - and re our discussion yesterday of Goddesses.....

Here is a most recent picture of one of my goddesses (and Jane's) Miss Carroll Baker autographing photos of herself as Jean Harlow.

;D

Carroll is a survivor!  If you ever see her at an autograph show, make sure you stop to talk!  8)

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2004, 04:26:11 AM »

Ah, radio. The magic medium (IMHO - In My Humble Opinion in internet lingo). I love radio even though by the time I began listening it was a shadow of its former self. One of my first radio memories is from 5th grade. Once a week we would stop what we were doing and over the intercom all the 5th grade classes would listen to Minnesota School of the Air. It was an eclectic program providing standard educational topics but it also had a company of actors providing childrens radio shows. I was transfixed and fell in love with MSOTA.

My father had a big old Zenith from the late 30s and when he passed away in 1993 I inherited it. Although the Short Wave part doesn't work anymore, and it's full of tubes, it's a wonderful piece of work and I turn it on occasionally and listen to Prairie Home Companion (a program I began listening to in the early years when it was broadcast from a college campus in Saint Paul).

I listened to two Top 40s stations as a kid, KDWB and WDGY (Wee-Gee) and then discovered the difference in Public Radio.

I worked at a radio station during my college years and lo and behold, it was the very same station that broadcast Minnesota School of the Air! There I was, 10 years later on the very same program that turned me into a radio head.

I find most U.S. radio nowadays rather silly and pointless (I've mentioned this before). I certainly don't begrudge people their choices but people like Howard Stern and Don Imus are beyond me. I just don't understand it. I do like and listen to Public Radio but my passion has become the BBC and foreign radio stations. It is the most wonderful thing about the Internet. I can listen to so many different stations, either live or at my convienence. I'm listening to the BBC as I type. Every morning at work, it's one of the first things I do, plug into the Beeb.

It's also allowed me to fulfill a dream, of sorts. As I have also mentioned a few times, I am now a contributor to a BBC Radio show (BBC Radio Wales). I see musicals here in New York and review them for Showtime, a program hosted by former Opera Diva Beverly Humphreys. I've done over 20 reviews so far and I'll be there, at least in the near future since I just taped another 12 reviews for broadcast in the late summer/early fall. I just put the first 20 reviews on a CD (for my own archival purposes and to pass on to friends who want to hear what I did). It's a kick to have your own CD! Having "retired" from the business 13 years ago, this has been a wonderful way to keep a foot in the business. It's also helped me hone my writing skills since I write the 90-second review as well as presenting it on the air.

Well, this is turning into a VERY long post so I'll stop now and let someone else babble on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up