Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CEREAL KILLER  (Read 13142 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE CEREAL KILLER
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2004, 11:13:12 AM »

PAGE THREE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2004, 11:17:59 AM »

DR Jrand wrote: "didn't BB OF 1938 also feature Leif Erickson?  Married at that time of course to Frances Farmer...."

Yep, he was in it looking very hunky indeed, but his and Dorothy Lamour's romance was not much to write home about - very sedate.

Guess what?  Frances was supposed to be in that, too, doing "a specialty number."  I have pre-production PR on the film where she's one of the headliners.  Golden Boy came along, and the rest, as they say.....
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2004, 11:18:34 AM »

I was another big fan of Gilmour's Albums. And 17 Blocks of Broadway was also a big favorite. I preferred it to its successor, Say It With Music, which after many years has just gone off the air.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »

Could all who are coming to our house this weekend for the NW HHW get-together PLEASE RSVP me ASAP (my that's several acronyms in a row, isn't it?).  Could y'all let me know when you will be showing up and if you understand the directions that were emailed to you.  Please remember I will be at the Tigard Pops Choir concert until at least 12:30 or so.

RSVP with arrival time to:  jmkauffman@aol.com

JMK I was just about to post.  You missed my Bogie story yesterday.  He suddenly had to have surgery today.  Once I know he is okay, I will know if I’m going to Portland.

It is interesting how things turn out.  If we had found a sitter and Keith planned to go, we would have cancelled the trip yesterday.  Since the plan is for Keith to stay home anyway I will be free to go to Portland and leave him here to care for Bogie.  I just need to know Bogie is okay before I leave him.  I love this cat soooooo much.  

Jane

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2004, 11:57:27 AM »

Candyland, and Chutes and Ladders were games I loved.  They were still fun when I played them with my children.   When I was older Clue became my favorite game.  When I was 12 I had a Barbie game I enjoyed very much even thought I have always hated the doll.  We played monopoly and Sorry (George thanks for reminding me of the name) lot.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2004, 12:01:10 PM »

My server was down (sounds like a kinky butler)

Kinky Butler?  Wasn't she in Bat Boy and the Little Shop revival?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2004, 12:03:04 PM »

Jane - Keep us posted about Bogie (to whom good vibes are headed).

Cereals? Oatmeal is about it. If I have leftover brown rice, I'll heat it up for a morning breakfast.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2004, 12:08:41 PM »

I got most of the toys I really wanted

It struck me, reading Benjamin Kritzer, that hardly anything was denied the young BK.  He wants something; he gets it.

And what struck me about this is that I grew up just a couple miles northwest of Kritzerland, and (my parents would confirm this recollection), plenty was denied me.  Toys and stuff I wanted, I often didn't get.  Never a Hot Wheels miniature car.  Never a Big Wheel, for that matter.

Now, I'm not saying, "you were a spoiled child" as if that makes you some sort of a monster, and I know Ask BK day is not likely to lead to some deep psychological revelation, but what I'm wondering is:

Do you think getting-whatever-you-wanted-as-a-child led had any negative effect on you?

If the answer is no, perhaps we'll all feel free to spoil our children.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2004, 12:11:37 PM »

Kinky Butler?  Wasn't she in Bat Boy and the Little Shop revival?

;D

Noel, You're on a roel.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2004, 12:13:42 PM »

Computer problems, folks. we're testing again.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2004, 12:13:43 PM »

Thanks Dan-in-Toronto.  We won’t be able to pick Bogie up until around 5:00.  I think he is in surgery right now.

Oatmeal has always been a favorite along with Cream of Wheat.  Since I have never had a gross experience with Raisin Bran I eat it on a regular basis.  I usually mix in GoLean.  Sometimes I have Mini Shredded Wheat sweetened with Honey Nut Cheerios.  I always use non-fat milk.  If there isn’t any than I eat the cereal plain or have leftover Basmati.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2004, 12:19:58 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUMP-BE-GONE VIBES FOR DC BOGIE! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2004, 12:23:21 PM »

It struck me, reading Benjamin Kritzer, that hardly anything was denied the young BK.  He wants something; he gets it.

Gosh Noel I didn't see it that way.  Yes Benjamin Kritzer pestered his parents for some things that were important to him, but considering what he went through to get them I figured there was much he didn't get.  There might have been the lesson learned, persistence.  :)

I’m sorry you had so few toys.  My father never received a birthday present from anyone in his family.  I think that was very hard on him.  

Jane

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2004, 12:24:09 PM »

:D Thanks Dan (the Man).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2004, 12:24:50 PM »

And what struck me about this is that I grew up just a couple miles northwest of Kritzerland, and (my parents would confirm this recollection), plenty was denied me.  Toys and stuff I wanted, I often didn't get.  Never a Hot Wheels miniature car.  Never a Big Wheel, for that matter.

Now, I'm not saying, "you were a spoiled child" as if that makes you some sort of a monster, and I know Ask BK day is not likely to lead to some deep psychological revelation, but what I'm wondering is:

Do you think getting-whatever-you-wanted-as-a-child led had any negative effect on you?

If the answer is no, perhaps we'll all feel free to spoil our children.

Benjamin got more than I did.  I didn't get EVERYTHING I wanted - there were plenty of books and albums and whatnot wherein my parents just said "enough".  But, whatever their faults and peculiarities, they did give us plenty of "stuff" - both my brother and myself.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2004, 12:33:44 PM »

My Ask BK Question:

Since most people don't like to see or hear thier own work, is there a cd that you produced that you return to with any regularity?  Any that you don't think you would touch again?

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2004, 12:35:55 PM »

Good health vibes to Bogie!!!!!
  [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  ;D  ;D  :D   :D  ;D  ;D  :D  :D  [/move]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 12:37:00 PM by MBarnum »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2004, 12:39:49 PM »

RLP - the turtles are outside the zoo at the bridge entrance. There are probably a hundred there.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2004, 12:41:02 PM »

Here's something else I saw today:

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2004, 12:41:53 PM »

~~~~~~ Vibes to Bogie (and Jane and Keith, who probably need them more).

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2004, 12:41:58 PM »

My favorite breakfast cereals as a kid were FREAKIES, FRUITY PEPPLES, SUGAR SMACKS.

Now I eat Low Carb Total (but constantly crave Lucky Charms)

Loved board games as a kid...I played LIFE, MONOPOLY, AGGREVATION, CHINESE CHECKERS, and CHUTES AND LADDERS a lot with our cousins Molly and Bobby. I didn't play them very often with my younger brother Dan because he was such a bad sport, and my other siblings were teenagers and were not around enough to play games with their little brother.

I am sure there were many toys that I wanted and did not get, but can't recall them.  I did get a LOT of toys as a kid, however, so  I was not hurting at all.

George

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2004, 01:02:18 PM »

We played monopoly and Sorry (George thanks for reminding me of the name) lot.

No problem! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2004, 01:02:25 PM »

Cereal?  Then and now:  Lucky Charms...when the only marshmallows that they had were only Pink hearts, yellow moons, blue stars and green clovers...and that's it!  Now, I also really like Honey Nut Cherrio's. ;D

Oops!  (that's Spoo spelled backwards.)  Nobody noticed my mistake, but that should've been pink hearts, yellow moons, ORANGE stars and green clovers.  My bad. ::)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2004, 01:07:11 PM »

Was awash with tears watching YANKEE DOODLE DANDY. I'd forgotten the sentimentality of it which touched me and then Cagney's just sensational performance and the fetching music. Really quite a show; I can see why it's been so popular for so long. I probably hadn't seen it in ten years and had forgotten large chunks of it. The DVD looks lovely, but not quite so astonishing as CASABLANCA.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2004, 01:13:22 PM »

I will definitely get another DVD watched tonight, but what it will be shall remain a mystery until I log back on tonight. (Actually, I'll have to go through the stack and pick something. I haven't done that yet.)

DR JMK, I'm assuming Frances Langford ended up singing that specialty number in THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2004, 01:15:55 PM »

Favorite game as a kid: CAREERS (which we've talked about before here). Also loved CLUE.

I didn't play my first game of Candyland until I was 15, baby-sitting with a friend of mine when his parents left him to tend his 6 year old brother. I wanted to play and play! Several years ago, some friends of mine gave me a Candyland game for Christmas because they had heard me talk about playing this kid's game as a teenager and how much I loved it. I have since played it a lot with their children.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2004, 01:15:57 PM »

Did anyone ever have a toy or game taken away from them as a child?  One Christmas I got a game called Bop The Beetle.  It came with a large, hinged "frog's head" that was more like a clam that opened wide and locked.  The two players each had these short plastic bats which were then used to "bop" at their matching plastic beetles.  The object of the game was to bop your beetle so that it flipped in the air and landed in the frog's open mouth.  So basically, you had two kids who were pounding on the floor with hard bats until one of them managed to get their target to fly in the air and land in an echo-ing shell that would then slam shut.  My mom hated it and it was gone before New Years.  

About two years ago, I came across Bop The Beetle on ebay and bought it.  I brought it to my Mom's house for a family gathering and I was filled with glee, watching my nephew and great niece play and play and play as my Mom shot me looks meant to kill.   Hee hee hee...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2004, 01:17:58 PM »

Vibes for Bogie, Jane, and Keith! ~~~~~~~~~~~

I played Monopoly once and was thoroughly bored out of my mind.

My favorite board game now is called Cranium and I can only play it when our church has get-togethers. A nice lady brings it and we get church people together to play it. My family still doesn't have much luck playing games together.

Hey, everybody go to Google.com and check out the cool picture at the top of the page.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2004, 01:35:59 PM »

Thank you Mbarnum, Sandra and DearReaderLaura   Sweet DRL, but poor Bogie has had to cope with too many medical problems over the years.  I think he is suffering more.  My big concern is the surgery will trigger an infection and a chronic problem we have under control.  His Mommy going away won’t help. :-\

Where is a picture of the turtles?

Dan (the Man) I love the story.  That reminds me of another favorite CUTIES.  I didn’t have games taken away from me for a particular reason but periodically my mother would clean out my room and give them away.  One time I made her, not an easy feat with my mother, call the person she gave my toys to and have several returned.  It was also out of character for me to put up such a fuss.   ;D

Sandra I went to google-cute.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2004, 02:07:40 PM »

Jane - I must have missed yesterday'a post about Bogie.
    *****GOOD VIBES TO HIM AND TO YOU AND KEITH!****
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up