Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABBREVIATED NOTES  (Read 28321 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ABBREVIATED NOTES
« on: August 20, 2004, 12:16:21 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gotten through them quickly on account of them being abbreviated and all, and now it is time to post until the abbreviated cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 12:21:56 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ABBREVIATED NOTES
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 12:22:44 AM »

As promised, photographic proof of the Tammy mess, being cleaned up as I was taking said photographic proof.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 12:32:28 AM »

As promised, photographic proof of the Tammy mess, being cleaned up as I was taking said photographic proof.

I am totally certain Miss Minoff thoroughly appreciated your documenting the scenario.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 12:33:13 AM »

And a fine mess it is. Lucky it missed the cell phone which is lying just beyond it.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 12:35:21 AM »

I was at the Hollywood Bowl Thursday night for a rare performance of Leonard Bernstein's Mass.  Miss Marin Alsop led the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Mr. Jubilant Sykes (what a splendid name!) took the part of the Celebrant.

Simply said, Mass is something of a period piece.  And quite a pastiche, musically, as well.  Mr. Stephen Schwartz revised some of the lyrics for this performance but, truth be told, much of what's sung veers into the dreadfully banal.  (Of course, I am not referring to the words of the Latin Mass.)  But Mass does have some wonderful moments, too, that warrant its being mounted.  The setting of The Lord's Prayer is particularly beautiful.

Large forces are required for Mass and there were hundreds of people--musicians, dancers and singers--on stage.  Despite limited rehearsal time for Bowl concerts, the performance came off as very well polished.  Although Mr. Sykes was somewhat miscast vocally, he nonetheless was quite impressive in a very demanding role.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 07:06:56 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 12:43:22 AM »

Jay, you are a gadabout town.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 12:45:48 AM »

Well, it's about a quarter to one (almost a 42nd Street reference) and I have nothing in my CD player, nothing in my DVD player, nothing in my record player, nothing in my VCR, and nothing in my CD burner...yet. ::) We'll see.

Anyway, later in the morning (after I've slept and woken up) I'll report on what's going to be in these apparati.  One of them has a connection to where I'm going tomorrow!!  Cryptic, ain't it?? ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 12:50:49 AM »

And Congrats, BK on the good parts of the mixed reviews!  Now, I must sleep and get up early.  Good night!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 12:59:55 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS!  We're talkin' about what's in our players.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 01:22:09 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

-"An American in Paris" just finished playing on the radio...  I'm happy!

Yes, it was an interesting show.  The new speakers do sound better, if just a bit "smaller" to my ears -

-Oh, and now Schumann's "Widmung" - one of my favorite lieder...

I had a very good warm up before the show.  I got there early, and ran through some scales and other bits and pieces of stuff I usually warm up with.  Then I was able to run through the show backwards, playing bits and pieces of each number.  Then came the show itself...

One of the keys on the piano started sticking towards the end of the opening number - the D above middle C.  Thankfully, the second number of the show is in the key of "A" - so I didn't have too many D's to worry about, but then came the "Fiddler/Chorus Line" number which is in C... and has a couple of D's in it... Then came "Times Like This" which starts out in B-major, but modulates to C-major, so lots more D's there...  Etc., etc., etc.  Thankfully, it was not a consistent problem, and was most likely caused by the variable heat, A/C, humidity over the past few days and tonight... It happens from time to time.

In any case, as much as I kept telling myself to "deal with it", I ended up playing mind games with myself here and there.  And mind games certainly aren't the type of things one should be doing when one should be playing piano.  So...

I'm sorry, BK, for all the clams tonight.  *I was expecting you to come back during intermission... But I guess you had other issues to deal with.

Thankfully, I was able to realign the culprit damper during intermission, and there were no mechanical problems with the piano during the second half of the show.  *All those years of hanging out with concert hall piano technicians came in handy tonight.  I felt more relaxed during the second half, but there were still a few times where I "caught" myself expecting something to go wrong, but, of course, nothing did.

*And I'll be bringing a nail file tomorrow just in case the problem arises again.   Ssshh... trade secret.  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 01:37:36 AM »

Oh.. and now Brahms' Second Piano Concerto... I'm not sure which pianist/recording they're playing right now, but I'm liking it.  -My favorite recording has to be Emil Gilels with Jochum conducting - which has been reissued a few times already on CD in various editions.  And if you listen closely - and really know the piece - he actually has some finger slips.  Very minor ones, but still some inaccuracies as it were.  But I digress...

After reading what I just posted, I started thinking about how rare it is has been for me to play a real, live, 88-key piano in a pit over the past few years.  I think the last two shows I've played a real piano were Godspell and Always, Patsy Cline - both at New Harmony Theatre in Indiana.

I've either been playing a keyboard part on an electronic keyboard/synth, or due to space and/or money limitations I've played on an electronic piano.  A piano can take up a lot of precious "real estate" in an orchestra pit.  *I remember for the Sondheim Celebration shows, we used the concert grands from the Opera House - talk about taking up space!!!  And the cost of piano tunings can add up really fast.

Arena Stage uses a real piano sometimes in the Kreeger, which is their proscenium space, but in the Fichlander, in the round, getting a real piano - grand or upright - into that pit area is basically impossible.  They would have to lower it in there before the set gets built on top and around it.  And having a set build on top and around a piano... hmmm...

I even remember "Marry Me A Little" many years ago at the Olney Theatre in Maryland.  The two pianists were positioned upstage - in two "apartment" windows.  Since they were elevated above the stage floor, they had to use electronic grands - or they would have had to do some serious reinforcing of the set.  Well, the set designer ended up building two fake cases for the electric keyboards so that it looked like there were indeed two baby grands on stage, up there in the windows.  It was a very effective facade.  And they actually got some pretty decent electric pianos for the production, and even some musicians in the audience were doing double takes: Was it Steinway or was it Kurzweil?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 01:52:16 AM »

I guess I'll be my own frenzy right now... -And the Brahms' is still playing... Man is that Scherzo movement tough!!!

Another piano-related memory...

When I was in high school, I somehow got in on the circuit of pianists who would play for parties, receptions, etc.  Background music.  There was this one particularly busy period where I was having at least one if not two parties each weekend over the span of two months.  The one thing that most of these parties had in common was that the host(s) had just bought a new piano, and they wanted to show it off, so to speak.  And most of these pianos turned out to be Samicks.  Samick had just recently been introduced in the United States, and they were - and still are basically - a "bargain" line of pianos.  However, they had/have great finishes - from the standard black ebony, to the woodgrain finishes and stains.  They make very nice pieces of furniture - which were what most of these people had bought the piano for - for furniture, not necessarily as a musical instrument.

Well... After a few parties, I started noticing a trend among the pianos.  They all had loose damper pedal screws - which was easily remedied with a screw driver.  I almost thought I had broken the pedal assembly on one piano, then realized that a screw had simply come loose.  And they all had sticking notes.  The same sticking notes!  I think they were the F below middle-C and the A above middle-C.  ???

It got to the point where I would into a house, and tell the host/owner that they might have to get a piano technician in there to "fix" the keys - even before I touched the piano.  And, sure enough, as soon as I started playing, the same two keys would start sticking.  "How did you know that would happen?"  ;)

*I actually think I'm playing on a Samick for "What If?".  And, as I've mentioned before, it's not a bad instrument.  And I'm pretty sure tonight's problem was simply a matter of environmental variables as it were.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 02:10:55 AM »

Yep!  I'm still up and I'm still posting... And the Brahms' is still playing... What a beautiful slow movement... The cello solo.. the quote from "Immer leiser wird mein schlummer"... :)

Before heading to the theatre yesterday afternoon, I Metro'd and bussed myself over to Hollywood Sheet Music to pick up some sheet music, and to finally meet Rick Starr in person.  Rick was a great help in trying to locate some of the songs that are a part of - and were considered for - What If?

He's a very nice guy - and he will be coming to see the show tonight.  I was also able to pass on a copy of the "Jeepers Creepers" CD that BK had promised him - and they started playing it in the store while I was browsing.  *And Rick says, "Thank You for the CD!" Bruce.  And what a store!  And with only a staff of three!  And they all know there stuff, and know where certain songs may be "hiding" in books and collections.

Well, since it was still about two hours before I had to be at the theatre, I decided to walk down Sunset Blvd to check out that part of it.  A few doors down was the Samuel French Bookstore which I avoided since I knew that if I went in there I would have dropped some cash on scripts that most likely would gather dust for a few weeks - if not months.

Then came In-N-Out Burger.  So... Suppertime!  And what a burger!  Very reasonably priced too!   And pretty decent fries - just fresh cut potatoes fried in peanut oil (I think).  Next time I'll have to try them topped with chili and their special sauce (at least I think that's what it looked like).

While I was there, there was some excitement at the outside tables.  Some wacko gentleman was pestering some young woman and her friends for no apparent reason.  The young woman eventually made her way inside, and asked the manager come out there right now to tell the man to go away, and to call the police.  However, I think by the time the manager had made his way outside, the pesterer had already left on his own accord.

But I'm glad I finally had my first - and probably not my last - In-N-Out burger!

The rest of the walk down Sunset was nice - it was a gorgeous afternoon, nice breeze blowing.  I ended up stopping in a neat little Russian bakery and picked up some small pastries filled with either poppy seeds, cherries or apples - one of each.  And each one was rather tasty!  I picked up two of the poppy seed ones, and all four were only $1.00!  They made a nice dessert - and a post show snack.

I eventually found myself on Highland, so I just walked the rest of the way to the theatre, and happened to run into BK who was on his way to Aron's to check things out there.

*I did find it very "funny" that Guitar Center and Sam Ash have opened across the street from each other.  These are two big music store chains, and when they opened stores in Richmond, they happened to open up in storefronts which are next door to each other.  I guess that makes for less travelling for the bargain hunters and price-comparers.  I know each chain has their brand "exclusives", but I have to wonder about the tactic of opening two very similar stores so near each other.  -And, of course, each store guarantees to have the "Lowest Prices on Sunset".  So, I guess each store's sale flyers must look the same too.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:14:29 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 02:21:47 AM »

hmm... I certainly am being quite the verbose DR this early morning...

But before I go to bed, I do have to say that my current host certainly has been a most gracious host.  A very nice house - which is "located" a very comfortable walk to and from the Metro station - as well as some decent stores and restaurants (and I just spotted the Old Navy today!).  My own very tastefully appointed and decorated bedroom and bathroom.  A second phone line for those times when I need to get on-line whenever he is on-line himself.  Two wonderful dogs who have been fun to take care of when their master is away during the day.  And he's also very good company too - and keeps some pretty decent bagels in the freezer!

;)
 :)
 ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 02:24:56 AM »

And now this frenzy must come to an end...

I have a feeling I'll finally be succumbing to the sale at Macy's tomorrow/today.  There were already some pretty decent deals and clearances going on when I was there on Monday and Tuesday, and now that the Clearance stuff has been further marked down...  Jojo needs some new shirts!  We shall see...

Boy is it late/early!  And I need to rest up for my shopping!

Goodnight.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:29:30 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 02:28:25 AM »

DR SWW and DerBrucer and the rest of your "family" - My condolences.  It's very nice and heartening to know that Kelsey was loved and is still loved.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:32:38 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 03:01:06 AM »

Well... I was going to bed, and then I remembered that Dracula, The Musical opened last night...

The New York Times review was actually kind of fair - and fun.  Albeit, still an out and out pan.

And I liked this phrase from the New York Post:

"Wildhorn's score remains at his usual level of bombastic mediocrity, with the best songs allotted to Errico, who performs them beautifully. Even while she's singing, though, one imagines the ice-skating routines that will eventually be performed to them."

And The Washington Post called it a "snoozical".

Who knew there were so many creative phrases and euphemisms for the words "bad" and "boring". ;)

... And, now, again, Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 04:05:54 AM »

Welcome to the Jose Show!!!!  

LOL....and thanks for the "Dracula" quotes!

Hmmmmmmmm.....today we will have a thousand or so students ALL in our little store looking for their books, so I probably won't be able to post.  And tonight I am seeing NUNSENSE and working at the box office, so I won't be home until late.... *sigh*....

Anyway...farewell to Kelsey....who now joins my dachshund, Gretchen....I know they will have fun....just get out of the way when the doorbell rings...dachshunds like to be the first ones to the door!

CD Player - Forever Plaid
DVD PLAYER - Anand (A Bollywood present from MBARNUM) and HERE'S LUCY the box set, AND next up HOUSE OF THE BASKERVILLES written by HHW's own DR CHARLES EDWARD POGUE.
VHS - BACK STREET with Susan Hayward, John Gavin, and Vera Miles! (again)

Still working on my lines...whew!!

Happy Friday, everyone!  And have a great show tonight, WHAT IF!

DRPANNI thanks for the WI reviews yesterday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 04:28:11 AM »

DVD Player

The Babylon 5 Movies
ALF Season 1
Freaks
Duel
The Naughty Earl Years of Benny Hill Complete and Unadulterated. (These are the ful length episodes from 1969-1971 including three "rare" ones filmed in B & W)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 04:43:42 AM »

Also got Laverne and Shirley, but I am returning it. I thought BK did them in season 1.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2004, 04:59:40 AM »

I'm ODing on Nancy LaMott today. I have 5 of the 6 CDs here at work (I should have brought the Christmas CD, just for fun). I also have the 2 CD Patti LuPone Live in which she runs the gamut (IMHO-in my humble opinion) between wonderful and head-shakingly bad.

I saw Dracula on Wednesday. I read many reviews today. I agree with all of them. As Jose mentioned, the Times review was cute. I won't bash Wildhorn, that's not why I mention seeing Dracula. I will say that the entire production has problems, it's not just the music. It certainly wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. It's not even in the top five worst things I've ever seen and I've seen some real garbage over the past 24 years. As the Times said, the real problem with the show is that it's boring. There is good talent involved, Tom Hewitt and Melissa Errico to name two, but they are wasted. For all the talk of special effects, there was little to impress. For all the talk of sexual and sensual, again, it seemed pretty dry and asexual to me. That's probably the biggest problem. Dracula should be dripping sensuality, sexual tension, eroticism. There isn't a drop of it in the entire show. The nudity is not integral at all. It's there but if it wasn't, you wouldn't say "Oh, she should be naked here" or "she should bare her breast" (I only saw one and it was more n****e than anything else). There are design elements that really "suck" (sorry, I had to do it, I'm talking about Dracula after all) from an audience point of view. Do directors no longer sit in many different vantage points throughout the house to see what the audience might (or might not) see? This was also a problem for me in the late, lamented Assassins. Overall, it's a misfire. It's not a Dance of the Vampires but it has a fairly pedestrian book and silly lyrics (sorry Don Black and Christopher Hampton) and overamplified sound (sound problems seem to be a problem on both coasts). I'll go back to the Times and my initial reaction as I left the theatre. It's boring. That's probably the worst thing you can say about a show.

I do want to say something else, after all this negative talk. I WANTED to like the show. I did go in with an open mind. There are some good people involved and I was hoping for something to like. I always want to at least LIKE a show. I try not to go in with preconcieved notions based on gossip. I really think I gave Dracula a fair chance. It just didn't work for me. Perhaps I have a different outlook on things, since much of the audience I was with adored the show and jumped up at the end cheering and applauding wildly. I don't do that normally. As I've mentioned in the past, I need to be blown away to stand up and cheer, but then I can be an old crank sometimes  ;)

I'm approaching the gold standard of post length here (Jose has set that standard, BTW or by the way ;D) so I will move on to Miss LaMott and off to the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

Later, folks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 05:03:23 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 05:00:48 AM »

My, my, my. 21 posts so early on a Friday. Perhaps it will be a hot day (even beyond the temperature here in NYC).

beckon

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 05:55:47 AM »

Media Check

VCR- Ray Charles In Concert (taped for a friend)
Car Cassette: Lost In Boston II (by BK), Flirtations
CD Player: Seventh Heaven (OBC), Anyone Can Whistle (OBC)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 05:58:00 AM by beckon »
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

td

• td
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 05:55:58 AM »

And a fine mess it is. Lucky it missed the cell phone which is lying just beyond it.
My own very first thought!  :)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 06:01:12 AM »

My, my, my. 21 posts so early on a Friday. Perhaps it will be a hot day (even beyond the temperature here in NYC).

That's a sure jinx. An hour without a post.

Thanks for the Dracula review (thanks DRs for both the East and West coast reviews). In fact, I just read the other Ben's review, and found yours more enlightening. (One question, and I hope I'm not embarrassing myself too much: What's n****e?.)

Not much mediawise. I finally acquired WICKED, and enjoyed listening to it earlier in the a.m.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 06:02:40 AM »

I was at the Hollywood Bowl Thursday night for a rare performance of Leonard Bernstein's Mass.  Miss Marin Alsop led the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Mr. Jubilant Sykes (what a splendid name!) took the part of the Celebrant.

Simply said, Mass is something of a period piece.  And quite a pastiche, musically, as well.  Mr. Stephen Schwartz revised some of the lyrics for this performance but, truth be told, much of what's sung veers into the dreadfully banal.  (Of course, I am not referring to the words of the Latin Mass.)  But Mass does have some wonderful moments, too, that warrant its being mounted.  The setting of The Lord's Prayer is particularly beautiful.

Large forces are required for Mass and there were hundreds of people--musicians, dancers and singers--on the stage tonight.  Despite limited rehearsal time for Bowl concerts, the performance came off as very well polished.  Mr. Sykes was somewhat miscast vocally, but he still was quite impressive in a very demanding role.

Jay, have you ever heard any of the Bernstein/Sondheim A Pray By Blecht (aka The Race To Urga aka The Exception and The Rule)?  I thought I'd plotz the first time I did.  I had always imagined that Bernstein, having been commissioned by Jackie O to write the commencing work that would open the Kennedy Center, worked far into the night, slaving away in order to set his devotion to JFK to music.  Instead, he apparently simply recycled the score from the abandoned Blecht project.  It was very disappointing for me to discover that.

But I still love listening to Mass.  Yep, it's very much a product of its time and I doubt that any tinkering that Schwartz might do with his lyrics would help.  But all of the music is gloriously theatrical and it ranges through Bernstein at his most majestic to his most subtley sweet and simple.  I'm hearing the score in my head now as I type.  I wish I had brought the CD to work today.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 06:03:25 AM »

D-I-T LOL, it's not a nickle. Just add pp after the i and before the l and you'll have the word (this is a family site after all ;-)

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 06:05:10 AM »

S.O.B. is in the dvd player.

In the cd player is a lovely compilation disc from Down Under featuring the vocal stylings of Renee Geyer, Joe Cocker, Jimmy Webb, Van Morrison, Randy Newman and Dionne Warwicke.
Cocker's two tracks are fascinating, first there is a live recording of Jimmy Webb's "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress," followed by a readical rethinking of Bruce Springsteen's "Human Touch."
Later, I have a Live Concert cd from 2003 of Renee Geyer to listen to.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 06:06:17 AM »

I hope that it was a light chocolate shake that spilt on a dark brown table top and not a dark chocolate shake on a white table top, cause that would have really been a mess.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 06:37:54 AM »

I finally acquired WICKED, and enjoyed listening to it earlier in the a.m.

I also acquired this earlier this week, but have OD'd on it a bit, as I was playing it to and from work every day.  Finally had to take it out of the car this morning, before I listened to "Defying Gravity" one more time.

Quote from Jay:
The Dear Mother and I recently purchased adjacent pieces of 20 square foot property.  The area of the cemetery where the plots are located was still being developed when we purchased them, and the Dear Mother has expressed a desire to check and see how the "neighborhood" is progressing.

Boy, when Mom says she doesn't want to fly back east, she really means it!

Condolences to the DB/SWW household.  My thoughts are with you.

Media Check:
CD/Car: SEESAW
CD/Office: Liz Callaway: On and Off Broadway
VCR: I think BB5 from a couple of nights ago.
DVD: Empty
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 07:22:33 AM by Stuart »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up