Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOW IS THE TIME  (Read 14895 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:NOW IS THE TIME
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2004, 10:35:56 PM »

And finally (thunderous applause...that it's ending):  Foster's Social Orchestra (and you can see the music inside one of the buckram slipcases):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2004, 10:45:07 PM »

My paranormal powers are kicking in and I sense that Dear Reader Jose will soon be making an appearance and contributing a passel of posts.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2004, 10:49:22 PM »

Tha mug is spooky, DR George!

Panni

« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2004, 10:52:28 PM »

Speaking of DR Jose, I wonder if he saw the review snippet about him from Entertainment Today that I posted yesterday. If not - it referred to "the amazing piano work by Jose C. Simbulan."

George

« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2004, 11:03:38 PM »

Tha mug is spooky, DR George!

I suppose that from this one picture you could think that but if you could hold it and look all around it, it's actually kind of cute...quaint, really.  I just didn't think about taking pictures from different angles.  I took one other picture of it at a slightly lower angle.  There is much more of a reflection under the brim of the hat that reflects the eyes that it looks like it has two pairs of eyes!  That was kind of spooky!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2004, 11:10:49 PM »

For the studio to go to the trouble of placing that insert into DVDs of DARBY, Disney must have been sent a boatload of complaints about the aspect ratio of the film once it was announced months ago that it was going to be a full frame release. The film was most definitely shot for theatrical distribution.

So, have you watched it yet, DR RLP? How did it look? Did you think there was too much head room or were the sides cropped and the people in the frame looking cramped?

It looked absolutely perfect to me.  There was never any evidence of anyone or anything being out of frame talking or doing something.  Unlike full-frame films that scream out that they were shot in a wide format, I was totally unaware of anything being amiss.

There were, some tightly framed shots inside the pub where Darby tells his stories about King Brian that seemed like something would definitely have suffered had they been cropped for a widescreen effect.  But I confess ignorance about these things, in general, except when the "obvious" rears its ugly head.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 11:17:17 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2004, 11:20:19 PM »

Dee-Yay

And that was the tail end of an everlovin' mouthful!

ROTFL
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2004, 11:39:04 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, as DR Jay's paranormal "powers" predicted, I am indeed about to post some posts  -I'm just not sure how many posts make up a passel, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2004, 11:41:06 PM »

Jose, if you can manage another six (after this one from me), we'll tie for the fewest posts in one day.  Seven and we don't set a new low.  PPUUSSHH!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2004, 11:41:24 PM »

DR Panni - I did indeed see the snippet of the review you posted yesterday from "Entertainment Today".  In fact, I even picked up a few copies yesterday so that I could some clippings back to my parents.  I had tried looking for the review on their website, but their website hasn't been updated since the first week of August.  Thank for the heads up!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2004, 11:41:37 PM »

Good grief what is happening here.  I go out for the day and I come back to what?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2004, 11:43:29 PM »

Big event today - haircut day.. the shortest it has ever been -- Five weeks in Europe and three weeks before we go. I needed maintenance free hair.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2004, 11:43:42 PM »

RE: The PNW HHW Get-Together - Again, so glad to hear you all had a wonderful time.  Maybe DR JMK's house can become your own "Joe Allen" of sorts. ;)  And it sounds like you at least have the official PNW HHW dessert already - Chocolate Zucchini Cake!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2004, 11:43:56 PM »

Jose - You'll save us then from the dreaded ATL.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2004, 11:45:35 PM »

Also picked up books I had ordered for the 26 hour plane flight. I don't watch movies on planes.

Now have the Pat Conroy (Prince Of Tides, The Water Is Wide etc) book "My Losing Season". I know nothing about basketball but I do like his writing.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2004, 11:47:08 PM »

Also purchased three books by Alexander McCall Smith that have been recommended as light, fun reading for our trip.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2004, 11:47:25 PM »

DR George - Well, at least you made it into the "Antiques Roadshow".  When they were in Richmond, it was one of the last times they did NOT distribute tickets in advance.  What were they thinking?!?!?  Richmond.  Old South.  Civil War!  -Well, the "War Between the States", if you prefer.  I was not in line myself, but I heard many a report from friends and neighbors who stood in line for hours only to be turned away at the end of the day.

-And it really is neat seeing those "people on television" in person!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2004, 11:47:27 PM »

MESSAGE FROM BK

He is going to have a post-show bite at Jerry's. The notes, as DR Jay predicted, will be late.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2004, 11:48:21 PM »

And we have passed the dreaded ATL mark. The world is once again safe.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2004, 11:48:49 PM »

Jose - You'll save us then from the dreaded ATL.

Well, I believe DR Tomovoz is also pitching in now too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2004, 11:49:35 PM »

Have decided NOT to read the Wilkie Collins book "The Woman In White" until I have seen the ALW musical in four weeks time.
I have also borrowed "Moonstone" but will put that on hold as well.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2004, 11:50:08 PM »

You mean to say I wasted that last post!
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2004, 11:50:38 PM »

MESSAGE FROM BK

He is going to have a post-show bite at Jerry's. The notes, as DR Jay predicted, will be late.

Well, I guess someone had to use the Gift Certificates. ;)

Maybe we then all need to send Good Stomach Vibes to BK... Unless he's just trying to get some more Gift Certificates?  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2004, 11:51:26 PM »

Late notes - I need not rushed off quick posts. Oh Well, now I can relax and actually read the post I have missed during the day.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2004, 11:52:26 PM »

Maybe we then all need to send Good Stomach Vibes to BK... Unless he's just trying to get some more Gift Certificates?  :P

He said he would eat something safe. ...Crackers?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2004, 11:55:21 PM »

As for my day off today...

I was dropped off in West Hollywood - or WeHo, if you prefer - to, as I jokingly commented, "be among my people".  ;)

It was a gorgeous day - lots of sun, and not too hot.  But it was hot enough for the "citizens" of WeHo to walk around showing off their suntans and the benefits of working out at the gym.  I just walked up and down Santa Monica Blvd for about hour, checking out the scene.  AND I noticed posters for What If? posted here in there in many a shop window!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2004, 11:56:13 PM »

I think there is some kind of belief held by our esteemed host that the ATL must be beaten before midnight, even if the Notes go up late. So, as I said, we have righted the wrong, saved the world, brought back equilibrium. We can now relax and get back to our daily lives, knowing once again that Good has triumphed over the Forces of Darkness.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2004, 11:57:20 PM »

Then I made my way up Fairfax to Sunset Blvd where I proceeded to catch the Number 2 Bus to downtown.  Quite the cross section of Los Angelenos riding with me.  And the bus ride provided me with another "tour" of L.A.'s various neighborhoods.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2004, 12:07:41 AM »

Then it was downtown to Macy's.  The mission: To buy a few shirts.

Well, as soon as I walked in, I stopped at the watch counter and bought a new watch for when I go jogging (this week, I hope).  I kept looking at and was tempted by some of the fancier and more expensive models and brands, but once I realized that I did need a new sports watch, I settled on a basic Timex.  Hopefully, I'll put it to good use soon.

Then came the clothes...  Well, I'll spare you all the boring - and kind of frustrating details - but after spending nearly three hours(!) trying on shirts, I walked out of Macy's with... The watch!

I kept quoting Dot from Sunday in the Park with George, "Nothing seems to fit me right."  I must have made at least six or seven trips to the fitting rooms, with at least four or five shirts in hand each time.  And each time I walked out of the fitting rooms, I proceeded to put all the shirts back.  -I was even beginning to worry that the store security staff would come after me.

It was either too big.  Too small.  Too baggy.  Not baggy enough.  The shirt collar didn't work with my face.  My face didn't work with the shirt collar.  The pattern didn't look good on me.  Etc., etc., etc.  And towards the end of my three hours, I even thought I found some sure bets - sure enough that I wasn't going to try them on... Thankfully, I did.  There were no  gos.

I seem to be between what most clothes manufacturers sell as L(arge) and XL.  Which I guess is a good thing, since I could never even consider buying L's until about two years ago.  But boy was I making myself crazy with each trip to and from the fitting rooms.  There were some "high maybes", and I may have to go back and give them a second chance, but, I've learned that if I feel an ambivalence about a piece of clothing when I buy it, I end up regretting buying it once I get it home and try it on in the "real world".  Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2004, 12:14:15 AM »

Then it was back on the Metro up to Hollywood and Vine.  Walked up to Hollywood and Highland.  Checked out the Kodak Theatre compley - WOW!  Lots of stuff and stores crammed into that piece of real estate.  And I had to laugh at some of the celebrity look-alikes that were on the sidewalk in front of the Chinese Theatre - I guess all you need to be a look-alike now is the right costume and the right hair color.  Heck, even the Elmo" from "Sesame Street" didn't really look that much like Elmo from "Sesame Street".  -The costume looked like one for the Cookie Monster that had been dyed red.  ;)

I bought my postcards - which I need to write and stamp before heading to bed tonight.  Then I Metro'd back to the homestead.

And thus completes my day - more or less - and my "passel of posts" for this evening.

Exciting stuff, huh?

Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up